🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 9.3 — Time Crunch: Day 3

I feel like anyone arguing that the competition was unfair to LHR, could do them an infinitely greater favor by subscribing to their podcast and leaving them a review. That kind of thing lasts longer and all around has better energy than insinuating a conspiracy at an indie podcast network.

@Adam, @Anna, @Matt and the other Lefties who may or may not have posted here, you guys have all been extremely gracious even in defeat, so I hereby bestow upon you a new tagline -

Left-Handed Radio: Classy as Fuck.

@Adam, @Anna, @Matt and the other Lefties who may or may not have posted here, you guys have all been extremely gracious even in defeat, so I hereby bestow upon you a new tagline -

Left-Handed Radio: Classy as Fuck.

I admire the graciousness that you and your team have shown, Adam, but it doesn't change the fact that you were handicapped in this challenge in a way the others weren't. And while Totally Laime received special consideration every time something was out of their WHEELHOUSE, you guys not only didn't receive any consideration, you were criticized for being professional and creative.

While I like your show, it isn't really about you guys, for me. It's not about hating TL, either. It's the fact that the challenge was unfair and unfairly judged, and Earwolf is insisting it wasn't. Anyone who listened to you guys pick apart every negative thing the judges said while they were eliminating you can see that.

It's not really about you, but I will respect your wishes and let it go, from here on.

I admire the graciousness that you and your team have shown, Adam, but it doesn't change the fact that you were handicapped in this challenge in a way the others weren't. And while Totally Laime received special consideration every time something was out of their WHEELHOUSE, you guys not only didn't receive any consideration, you were criticized for being professional and creative.

While I like your show, it isn't really about you guys, for me. It's not about hating TL, either. It's the fact that the challenge was unfair and unfairly judged, and Earwolf is insisting it wasn't. Anyone who listened to you guys pick apart every negative thing the judges said while they were eliminating you can see that.

It's not really about you, but I will respect your wishes and let it go, from here on.

All of these criticisms and knee jerk reactions to the results this week are incredibly frustrating to me as a fan of Earwolf and podcasts in general. This podcast is a contest with judges. Whenever judges are involved the results are subjective. No contest is objective or consistent. Just because a movie wins the Oscar for Best Picture doesn't mean that it was the best movie of the year. It means that most of the voters of the Academy thought that it deserved the Oscar more than the other films. Just because a skater wins the gold medal at the Winter Olympics doesn't mean they were the best skater that year, it means the panel of judges thought they were the best skater. Contests are contests. Those who win win THE CONTEST. It doesn't mean they're the best ones out there. If the judges picked winners based on a rubric every week, it wouldn't necessarily lead to the "best" and "worst" podcasts, it would mean that the podcast that beat the rubric. This isn't one of those contests. They're not grading a 4th grader's homework assignment. They are judging the podcasts based on which is "the best" in their minds. The only objective contest in the world involve sports-the team with the most points or athlete with the fastest time wins. Period. No one judges what they looked like when they scored or crossed the finish line.

For me, the best thing about podcasts is that there is no rubric or rules. There aren't execs looking for the 4 quadrants or remakes and sequels saturating the market. People record things and give them out to people for free (most of the time). This is a contest for podcasts. An imperfect way of judging an imperfect art. Those imperfections are what make these two entities great. Contests start debate. King's Speech or Social Network? Totally Laime or Left Handed Radio? But attacking the judges or crying foul isn't debate or discussion, it's just throwing shit. Listening to podcasts is so great because we are listening or watching people do and talk about what they find interesting are passion in. As I read through this forum, 75% of the comments were irate at Matt and the judges, or whomever because they were "wrong"- that they fucked up a challenge or were inconsistent in what they judged the participants on. Criticize and debate, but don't say the Earwolf Challenge is unfair. It's a contest. It's not a race and it's not a game of football. Contests are contests.

When a competition podcast was announced by Jeff a few months back I was excited and a little wary. Podcasts, and comedy podcasts in particular, are great because they are independent and whatever the podcasts decide they are. But then I realized that this way of thinking applies to the Earwolf Challenge as well. There are no other competition podcasts out there. Jeff and Scott are doing something new, they are making their own thing. So for people to go batshit over how fucked over Left Handed Radio was seems so trivial and wrongheaded to me. They signed up for a contest and did great. They were one of the final three. They fell victims to the very nature of a contest--the judges didn't think they were the best this week. The guys at Earwolf put in a fuckload of effort each week to give us a bunch of free and extremely entertaining content. Everybody is passionate about their favorite podcasts and I understand that. But the vitriolic reactions from people about LHR being eliminated is disgusting--attacking Walk the Room on iTunes? Go back to licking your shitstains, assholes. Anyway, this is a long and convoluted way of expressing something that many have already written and Scott and Jeff are addressing, but I wanted to include my two cents. Now I'm reminded of why I avoid message boards.

Jeff, Scott, Matt, and everybody else at Earwolf: keep doing your shit. I know, or hope, that none of this is discouraging as you move forward. I know I'm enjoying the hell out of the ride.

Someone else can take the soap box now.

All of these criticisms and knee jerk reactions to the results this week are incredibly frustrating to me as a fan of Earwolf and podcasts in general. This podcast is a contest with judges. Whenever judges are involved the results are subjective. No contest is objective or consistent. Just because a movie wins the Oscar for Best Picture doesn't mean that it was the best movie of the year. It means that most of the voters of the Academy thought that it deserved the Oscar more than the other films. Just because a skater wins the gold medal at the Winter Olympics doesn't mean they were the best skater that year, it means the panel of judges thought they were the best skater. Contests are contests. Those who win win THE CONTEST. It doesn't mean they're the best ones out there. If the judges picked winners based on a rubric every week, it wouldn't necessarily lead to the "best" and "worst" podcasts, it would mean that the podcast that beat the rubric. This isn't one of those contests. They're not grading a 4th grader's homework assignment. They are judging the podcasts based on which is "the best" in their minds. The only objective contest in the world involve sports-the team with the most points or athlete with the fastest time wins. Period. No one judges what they looked like when they scored or crossed the finish line.

For me, the best thing about podcasts is that there is no rubric or rules. There aren't execs looking for the 4 quadrants or remakes and sequels saturating the market. People record things and give them out to people for free (most of the time). This is a contest for podcasts. An imperfect way of judging an imperfect art. Those imperfections are what make these two entities great. Contests start debate. King's Speech or Social Network? Totally Laime or Left Handed Radio? But attacking the judges or crying foul isn't debate or discussion, it's just throwing shit. Listening to podcasts is so great because we are listening or watching people do and talk about what they find interesting are passion in. As I read through this forum, 75% of the comments were irate at Matt and the judges, or whomever because they were "wrong"- that they fucked up a challenge or were inconsistent in what they judged the participants on. Criticize and debate, but don't say the Earwolf Challenge is unfair. It's a contest. It's not a race and it's not a game of football. Contests are contests.

When a competition podcast was announced by Jeff a few months back I was excited and a little wary. Podcasts, and comedy podcasts in particular, are great because they are independent and whatever the podcasts decide they are. But then I realized that this way of thinking applies to the Earwolf Challenge as well. There are no other competition podcasts out there. Jeff and Scott are doing something new, they are making their own thing. So for people to go batshit over how fucked over Left Handed Radio was seems so trivial and wrongheaded to me. They signed up for a contest and did great. They were one of the final three. They fell victims to the very nature of a contest--the judges didn't think they were the best this week. The guys at Earwolf put in a fuckload of effort each week to give us a bunch of free and extremely entertaining content. Everybody is passionate about their favorite podcasts and I understand that. But the vitriolic reactions from people about LHR being eliminated is disgusting--attacking Walk the Room on iTunes? Go back to licking your shitstains, assholes. Anyway, this is a long and convoluted way of expressing something that many have already written and Scott and Jeff are addressing, but I wanted to include my two cents. Now I'm reminded of why I avoid message boards.

Jeff, Scott, Matt, and everybody else at Earwolf: keep doing your shit. I know, or hope, that none of this is discouraging as you move forward. I know I'm enjoying the hell out of the ride.

Someone else can take the soap box now.

One last thing: for the record, I am not one of those people taking out my anger at the judges on iTunes. It would be extremely hypocritical to rate down a show you've never listened to because of something one of the hosts did on another show. All my ire has been expressed in the Earwolf Challenge forums...and I regret none of it.

One last thing: for the record, I am not one of those people taking out my anger at the judges on iTunes. It would be extremely hypocritical to rate down a show you've never listened to because of something one of the hosts did on another show. All my ire has been expressed in the Earwolf Challenge forums...and I regret none of it.

oh dirk, i wrote that forum comment, of course i can't read. also most conspiracists don't use the word conspiracy, they are usually too busy saying the government replaced their frontal lobe with starkist tuna, for them to say "hey, listen to my new conspiracy" would be to say "hey, my thoughts are not valid". so you are right, you did not say your thoughts are not valid, i just came to that conclusion

oh dirk, i wrote that forum comment, of course i can't read. also most conspiracists don't use the word conspiracy, they are usually too busy saying the government replaced their frontal lobe with starkist tuna, for them to say "hey, listen to my new conspiracy" would be to say "hey, my thoughts are not valid". so you are right, you did not say your thoughts are not valid, i just came to that conclusion

@brian LOL You're free to come to any conclusion. It's the internet. It's a free forum. I must say though- Anyone that has the presence of mind to refer to their own outlandish idea as a 'conspiracy'- would know the definition of the word and it's implications on the dialogue to follow, rendering the thoughts valid.

I think the guys you're talking about are called insane people. They sometimes live on the streets and tell people about the chips the government planted in them? Ya... I don't think anyone is calling those guys "conspiracy theorists".

Remember- a good conspiracy can't be proven right? I mean that's it. Are you comparing the notion of possible bias by the judges and orchestrators (which has been more or less proven with Harris Whittles) as roughly the same level of INSANE as the government replacing frontal lobes with tuna?

@brian LOL You're free to come to any conclusion. It's the internet. It's a free forum. I must say though- Anyone that has the presence of mind to refer to their own outlandish idea as a 'conspiracy'- would know the definition of the word and it's implications on the dialogue to follow, rendering the thoughts valid.

I think the guys you're talking about are called insane people. They sometimes live on the streets and tell people about the chips the government planted in them? Ya... I don't think anyone is calling those guys "conspiracy theorists".

Remember- a good conspiracy can't be proven right? I mean that's it. Are you comparing the notion of possible bias by the judges and orchestrators (which has been more or less proven with Harris Whittles) as roughly the same level of INSANE as the government replacing frontal lobes with tuna?

Not that anyone is tracking my comments, but I have said before that the show has always seemed fair, and this week's challenge did nothing to change my assessment. The judges critiques and feedback has always been the most interesting part of the show and I trust that if any judge was unclear on the guidelines, they'd ask.
There are now a sizable number of commenters echo-ing Sam's sentiment to "keep doing your shit". I don't want to sound like a shill, but posting encouraging comments on a forum is one thing, but you know what can REALLY keep the hardworking folks at earwolf "doing their shit"? DONATING to the show.
I've always thought it was a shame that the Earwolf guys chose to couch their donation pitch as "help us get into a nicer studio". I'm donating right now, and I am not donating for real estate, I am donating for the PEOPLE that help make the show. Apparently, Frank is going to go back to looking for a restaurant job (as I learned from the nice "get to know the producer" segment from the last two weeks). It seems that while many have shared the workload, Frank has been the guy that has been steering the ship on this whole thing. And it's been great. While Besser is the public face of this show, I am sure there are a whole lot of other people working for little to no money to keep the show going and the commercial this week nicely pointed out that your donations help support all those people. Did anyone else notice that one of the little dum dum's rants circled around a change of plans regarding a flight to Los Angeles? I bet that could have happened if more people supported the show financially. So for those that want to support the show, I say: "put your money where your mouth is".

Not that anyone is tracking my comments, but I have said before that the show has always seemed fair, and this week's challenge did nothing to change my assessment. The judges critiques and feedback has always been the most interesting part of the show and I trust that if any judge was unclear on the guidelines, they'd ask.
There are now a sizable number of commenters echo-ing Sam's sentiment to "keep doing your shit". I don't want to sound like a shill, but posting encouraging comments on a forum is one thing, but you know what can REALLY keep the hardworking folks at earwolf "doing their shit"? DONATING to the show.
I've always thought it was a shame that the Earwolf guys chose to couch their donation pitch as "help us get into a nicer studio". I'm donating right now, and I am not donating for real estate, I am donating for the PEOPLE that help make the show. Apparently, Frank is going to go back to looking for a restaurant job (as I learned from the nice "get to know the producer" segment from the last two weeks). It seems that while many have shared the workload, Frank has been the guy that has been steering the ship on this whole thing. And it's been great. While Besser is the public face of this show, I am sure there are a whole lot of other people working for little to no money to keep the show going and the commercial this week nicely pointed out that your donations help support all those people. Did anyone else notice that one of the little dum dum's rants circled around a change of plans regarding a flight to Los Angeles? I bet that could have happened if more people supported the show financially. So for those that want to support the show, I say: "put your money where your mouth is".

Hey everybody, this is Taylor from Left Handed Radio. I've been out of town for a few weeks and just got back. No one else in LHR is answering my texts or emails and I didn't have time to read any previous posts on this thread, what 's going on? It seems like everyone's real riled up about something. But since I haven't read any comments or spoken to anyone I wouldn't know what it is. Will someone fill me in? Did we finally get Osama?

Hey everybody, this is Taylor from Left Handed Radio. I've been out of town for a few weeks and just got back. No one else in LHR is answering my texts or emails and I didn't have time to read any previous posts on this thread, what 's going on? It seems like everyone's real riled up about something. But since I haven't read any comments or spoken to anyone I wouldn't know what it is. Will someone fill me in? Did we finally get Osama?

@Taylor - Yes, Left-Handed Radio finally got Osama with their first round draft pick. Congratulations, I hear he can write great sketches in 30 minutes or less. In fact he was the one who came up with that pizza promotion as well as that movie starring Mark Zuckerberg and that funny Indian feller from the Parks and Recreation department.

@Taylor - Yes, Left-Handed Radio finally got Osama with their first round draft pick. Congratulations, I hear he can write great sketches in 30 minutes or less. In fact he was the one who came up with that pizza promotion as well as that movie starring Mark Zuckerberg and that funny Indian feller from the Parks and Recreation department.

Scott has been fired and replaced by Zach Galifianakis. Comedy Beard Bang coming soon.

Scott has been fired and replaced by Zach Galifianakis. Comedy Beard Bang coming soon.

Nicely stated, Brian.
Seriously, anyone who thinks that this challenge is deliberately fixed or biased needs to take off their tinfoil hat and let the government satellites beam some reason into their heads. Look, I rarely agree with the judges myself. You know what that means? They don't like the same things that I do. Beyond that, there's just no reason why the contest would be fixed. There's no endgame. If Scott and Jeff wanted a specific podcast to win, they would have just signed them up, contest be damned. So maybe the challenges aren't utterly fair. That's life, friends. Someone always gets the short end of the stick.
Take a few deep breaths, in through your nose, out through your mouth. Slowly, now. Now let that anger.go. It's not getting you anything.
And yes, I think most people would happily refer to crazy homeless people who think they have government chips in their heads as "Conspiracy Theorists". Don't be a dick, Dirk.

Nicely stated, Brian.
Seriously, anyone who thinks that this challenge is deliberately fixed or biased needs to take off their tinfoil hat and let the government satellites beam some reason into their heads. Look, I rarely agree with the judges myself. You know what that means? They don't like the same things that I do. Beyond that, there's just no reason why the contest would be fixed. There's no endgame. If Scott and Jeff wanted a specific podcast to win, they would have just signed them up, contest be damned. So maybe the challenges aren't utterly fair. That's life, friends. Someone always gets the short end of the stick.
Take a few deep breaths, in through your nose, out through your mouth. Slowly, now. Now let that anger.go. It's not getting you anything.
And yes, I think most people would happily refer to crazy homeless people who think they have government chips in their heads as "Conspiracy Theorists". Don't be a dick, Dirk.

There were a lot of nervous moments, but when Superego passed Osama up and chose Gaddafi instead, your sketchmates Adam and Matt were seen whooping it up and crying tears of joy in the LHR war room.

There were a lot of nervous moments, but when Superego passed Osama up and chose Gaddafi instead, your sketchmates Adam and Matt were seen whooping it up and crying tears of joy in the LHR war room.