🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 9.3 — Time Crunch: Day 3

I just subscribed to all 3 finalists. so there's really no problem here.
I'd love to see LDDC win, but if they don't, I'm sure they're not going anywhere soon.

Thanks to @Scott and @Jeff for all the replies throughout the forums. The little reminders that you guys are just as passionate about producing these podcasts as your wolf pack is about listening to them is really nice to see.
 I think I would have been one of the angrier posters if my favorite (LDDC) had packed their bags & left the kitchen this week.  I understand people's feelings about the judging, but I don't envy the judges in having to make the decision.
Also, it seemed obvious that Doug and Harris had listened to earlier challenges and were more familiar with the competitors, which seemed to make them better judges. Their criticism was much more constructive and beneficial than admiring TL's 'college radio voice' or LDDC's accents. I know it'd be tough to get permanent judges for next season, but I think it would help improve the educational benefits, both for challengers as well as other podcasters listening for advice/inspiration.

Thanks to @Scott and @Jeff for all the replies throughout the forums. The little reminders that you guys are just as passionate about producing these podcasts as your wolf pack is about listening to them is really nice to see.
 I think I would have been one of the angrier posters if my favorite (LDDC) had packed their bags & left the kitchen this week.  I understand people's feelings about the judging, but I don't envy the judges in having to make the decision.
Also, it seemed obvious that Doug and Harris had listened to earlier challenges and were more familiar with the competitors, which seemed to make them better judges. Their criticism was much more constructive and beneficial than admiring TL's 'college radio voice' or LDDC's accents. I know it'd be tough to get permanent judges for next season, but I think it would help improve the educational benefits, both for challengers as well as other podcasters listening for advice/inspiration.

@Caroline

"You give Jeff too much credit. I love him dearly, but his involvement in Earwolf has nothing to do with cleverness, either achieved or attempted."

OK OK LOL. I believe you. Honesty is hard to argue with ROFL.

@Jeff

If you still haven't figured it out... I had to try it a couple times off the advice of Linus...
 What you do is after the paragraph, hit Return on your Mac and on the next line hold option and hit space at the same time. Then hit Return again to go to the next line to start the next paragraph. It's a pain in the ass, but It's also nice that you guys are building you're own message boards from scratch and not leaning on 'Disqus' or 'OpenID' or any of the other systems. I think this has a lot of potential. I'd like to see options in the future for e-mail notifications of responses, and easy methods for replying to a quote and kinda 'captioning' that quote within the response. I think a lot of traffic on message boards can be attributed to people having the option of 'subscribing' to a thread. I'm sure you're guys will get there soon. hope that helps (?)

@Caroline

"You give Jeff too much credit. I love him dearly, but his involvement in Earwolf has nothing to do with cleverness, either achieved or attempted."

OK OK LOL. I believe you. Honesty is hard to argue with ROFL.

@Jeff

If you still haven't figured it out... I had to try it a couple times off the advice of Linus...
 What you do is after the paragraph, hit Return on your Mac and on the next line hold option and hit space at the same time. Then hit Return again to go to the next line to start the next paragraph. It's a pain in the ass, but It's also nice that you guys are building you're own message boards from scratch and not leaning on 'Disqus' or 'OpenID' or any of the other systems. I think this has a lot of potential. I'd like to see options in the future for e-mail notifications of responses, and easy methods for replying to a quote and kinda 'captioning' that quote within the response. I think a lot of traffic on message boards can be attributed to people having the option of 'subscribing' to a thread. I'm sure you're guys will get there soon. hope that helps (?)

Glad you got it to work, Jeff! 
The tip for Windows spacing, where you have to hold ALT then key in 0160, wasn't working for me at first. I found out you have to key the numbers by using the number pad. If you use the numbers at the top of the keyboard, it won't work. My laptop doesn't have a dedicated number pad, so I also have to hold the FN key to use the fake num pad, but it works.

I also found that "ALT" plus "255" works too (one less keystroke!).

Glad you got it to work, Jeff! 
The tip for Windows spacing, where you have to hold ALT then key in 0160, wasn't working for me at first. I found out you have to key the numbers by using the number pad. If you use the numbers at the top of the keyboard, it won't work. My laptop doesn't have a dedicated number pad, so I also have to hold the FN key to use the fake num pad, but it works.

I also found that "ALT" plus "255" works too (one less keystroke!).

testing: backquote backquote

does

this

work?

(testing is fun.... LOL)

edit: YEP.... easier to simply type 2 backquotes for line break

testing: backquote backquote

does

this

work?

(testing is fun.... LOL)

edit: YEP.... easier to simply type 2 backquotes for line break

The problem with this round wasn't the judges, it wasn't any imaginary conspiracy and it wasn't the conceit of the Round 9 challenge, it was the wishy-washy criteria. Like Scott said earlier in the thread, it would have been better if the judges had been clearer on what was required. I've already said I agree with the decision, but what makes the show FUN isn't just getting the right decision, it's hearing the judges have a coherent discussion - and launching that discussion requires a solid foundation of clear and simple criteria. Everyone needs to start out on the same playing field - all three judges and every contestant - or the judges sound lost, and that makes the audience feel lost. And by Week 9 of this thing we listeners have learned how to judge a podcast that makes us feel lost.

Enough thrashing from me though - right now I want to throw a couple of definite positives at this thread. The "soften the listeners in preparation for elimination revelation" discussion regarding what success in podcasting means was great. Dave's point that a smaller but more rabid audience may be more desirable than a larger, less passionate one was a great observation from the standpoints of both artistic satisfaction and financial reward. The love from a more passionate audience is good for a mofo's soul and the fact a more passionate audience is more likely to shell out for merch and donations is good for a mofo's wallet.

Another thing was Belknap responding to Dave saying he felt bad after the elimination with: "That's because you're a good person inside but I'm drunk with power, I just want more things to eliminate right now." Or words to that effect. I cracked up harder at that than anything else in Round 9.

And I want to throw another salute at LHR for the hilarious and top-class way in which they received the news of their exit. You guys and gals are the champions of my heart as far as the Challenge is concerned.

Lastly, @JEFF: "Last night a bunch of us were talking about this very thing at UCB (Kumail, Aziz, Maron, Thune, Benson)." That's some weapons-grade name-dropping right there Chief. Nice work. Way to make a mofo envious.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS GODDAMMIT!!!

The problem with this round wasn't the judges, it wasn't any imaginary conspiracy and it wasn't the conceit of the Round 9 challenge, it was the wishy-washy criteria. Like Scott said earlier in the thread, it would have been better if the judges had been clearer on what was required. I've already said I agree with the decision, but what makes the show FUN isn't just getting the right decision, it's hearing the judges have a coherent discussion - and launching that discussion requires a solid foundation of clear and simple criteria. Everyone needs to start out on the same playing field - all three judges and every contestant - or the judges sound lost, and that makes the audience feel lost. And by Week 9 of this thing we listeners have learned how to judge a podcast that makes us feel lost.

Enough thrashing from me though - right now I want to throw a couple of definite positives at this thread. The "soften the listeners in preparation for elimination revelation" discussion regarding what success in podcasting means was great. Dave's point that a smaller but more rabid audience may be more desirable than a larger, less passionate one was a great observation from the standpoints of both artistic satisfaction and financial reward. The love from a more passionate audience is good for a mofo's soul and the fact a more passionate audience is more likely to shell out for merch and donations is good for a mofo's wallet.

Another thing was Belknap responding to Dave saying he felt bad after the elimination with: "That's because you're a good person inside but I'm drunk with power, I just want more things to eliminate right now." Or words to that effect. I cracked up harder at that than anything else in Round 9.

And I want to throw another salute at LHR for the hilarious and top-class way in which they received the news of their exit. You guys and gals are the champions of my heart as far as the Challenge is concerned.

Lastly, @JEFF: "Last night a bunch of us were talking about this very thing at UCB (Kumail, Aziz, Maron, Thune, Benson)." That's some weapons-grade name-dropping right there Chief. Nice work. Way to make a mofo envious.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS GODDAMMIT!!!

Well, you guys are fun!

First off, I want to clear something up. I was on a comedy podcast, whether I was judging, hosting or part of the contest, that means I'm going to try to say funny things. Calling a submission "bullshit" and immediately following it up with "...that is what we are supposed to say here, right?" is a joke and it's my sense of humor. A lot of you guys don't know me but I don't plan on changing my humor because audience members don't know me.

Second, I voted based on laughs per minute and nothing else. I'm sorry many of you feel TL was less funny than LHR. I disagree. My opinion was only based on the five minutes I heard. I did NOT take into account my belief that LHR should have brought up Zach dropping out. That's my own personal opinion and I still believe it to be true but I voted based simply on who made me laugh in the end. Some of you refuse to believe TL could have been funnier than LHR. You're wrong. It was.

Third, a lot has been made about the instructions to the judges. Some things may have been left out but I am responsible for not hearing the submissions could be "under" five minutes and that the material could be anything. I was told but didn't listen. That's how I work. Maybe it would be better to write it down for the judges because some of us are dumbs.

Fourth, I think Scott and Jeff are doing something interesting here. They just created a podcast that is unlike any podcast in the world. I've never heard of a podcast contest like this and, in my opinion, it's good. And guess what? When people are figuring things out there are going to be bumps and stumbles. Mistakes are going to be made and there will be learning moments. I find the way some of you are treating guys who are trying to create a broad schedule of podcasts to be pretty disgusting. There is no conspiracy. There is no bias for or against. Sometimes things we like get kicked in the ass. That's life. Some of you need to take a step back and think about some things because life is full of injustices but most importantly, COMEDY IS SUBJECTIVE.

Fifth, and most importantly, your attacks here will make judges hesitant to be honest on any future Earwolf Challenges. "Hey, when you go do the Earwolf Challenge, be super nice to all the podcasts, no matter what you think because the listeners who disagree with you will go leave bad reviews on iTunes and attack you endlessly on the forum." Brilliant fucking move, guys. And, yes, more than one comedian has asked me about it today. You guys can scream all you want about how this wasn't done right but that can all be fixed next time around. Your actions cannot.

Well, you guys are fun!

First off, I want to clear something up. I was on a comedy podcast, whether I was judging, hosting or part of the contest, that means I'm going to try to say funny things. Calling a submission "bullshit" and immediately following it up with "...that is what we are supposed to say here, right?" is a joke and it's my sense of humor. A lot of you guys don't know me but I don't plan on changing my humor because audience members don't know me.

Second, I voted based on laughs per minute and nothing else. I'm sorry many of you feel TL was less funny than LHR. I disagree. My opinion was only based on the five minutes I heard. I did NOT take into account my belief that LHR should have brought up Zach dropping out. That's my own personal opinion and I still believe it to be true but I voted based simply on who made me laugh in the end. Some of you refuse to believe TL could have been funnier than LHR. You're wrong. It was.

Third, a lot has been made about the instructions to the judges. Some things may have been left out but I am responsible for not hearing the submissions could be "under" five minutes and that the material could be anything. I was told but didn't listen. That's how I work. Maybe it would be better to write it down for the judges because some of us are dumbs.

Fourth, I think Scott and Jeff are doing something interesting here. They just created a podcast that is unlike any podcast in the world. I've never heard of a podcast contest like this and, in my opinion, it's good. And guess what? When people are figuring things out there are going to be bumps and stumbles. Mistakes are going to be made and there will be learning moments. I find the way some of you are treating guys who are trying to create a broad schedule of podcasts to be pretty disgusting. There is no conspiracy. There is no bias for or against. Sometimes things we like get kicked in the ass. That's life. Some of you need to take a step back and think about some things because life is full of injustices but most importantly, COMEDY IS SUBJECTIVE.

Fifth, and most importantly, your attacks here will make judges hesitant to be honest on any future Earwolf Challenges. "Hey, when you go do the Earwolf Challenge, be super nice to all the podcasts, no matter what you think because the listeners who disagree with you will go leave bad reviews on iTunes and attack you endlessly on the forum." Brilliant fucking move, guys. And, yes, more than one comedian has asked me about it today. You guys can scream all you want about how this wasn't done right but that can all be fixed next time around. Your actions cannot.

Dave, I totally agree with that entire post. Most of all though, comedy is subjective. I really hope this doesn't turn you away from Earwolf and its fans, the people who have shown themselves to be particularly shitty are very few compared to the real earwolf fanbase, and hopefully more of those voices will speak up. The internet can suck sometimes

Dave, I totally agree with that entire post. Most of all though, comedy is subjective. I really hope this doesn't turn you away from Earwolf and its fans, the people who have shown themselves to be particularly shitty are very few compared to the real earwolf fanbase, and hopefully more of those voices will speak up. The internet can suck sometimes

To re-enforce what Martin Teller was saying, i have been fucking loving this show and am loving the drama and the judges takes, advice, and general outlook, whether its miss guided or not. That's why you have "guest" judges and not stuck with a judge you hate through the whole thing. And if this show doesn't get a second season because of a few negative nancies imma be pissed and will find where they live and give them a stern talking to.

To re-enforce what Martin Teller was saying, i have been fucking loving this show and am loving the drama and the judges takes, advice, and general outlook, whether its miss guided or not. That's why you have "guest" judges and not stuck with a judge you hate through the whole thing. And if this show doesn't get a second season because of a few negative nancies imma be pissed and will find where they live and give them a stern talking to.

Goddammit Dave, now you made those of us who defended you for not receiving a proper briefing look like fools. And I, for one, don't need any of your God damned help to look like a God damned fool!

Ah, who am I kidding, I can't stay mad at you.

Goddammit Dave, now you made those of us who defended you for not receiving a proper briefing look like fools. And I, for one, don't need any of your God damned help to look like a God damned fool!

Ah, who am I kidding, I can't stay mad at you.