🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Ofcoursemyhorse

Powder (1995)

I searched the forum like four times because the thought that this movie hadn't been recommended yet seemed insane.

A bunch of fantastic actors including Mary Steenburgen, Jeff Goldbum and Lance Henriksen do their best to save this incredibly strange movie about an albino kid with electricity powers.

Highlights include silverware towers, deer telepathy and lots of grown men crying.

• Like 1

I love this movie! It's genuinely awesome, like a feature length episode of x-files. I even went as powder for my first halloween as a bald person. It was great. Got all powdered up to get that albino look and taped some super magnets to the inside of a shitty old person jacket. So I walked around sticking metallic things to me or handing them off to people as a party trick.

Oh shit, is it racist to powder yourself to super whiteness? Was I doing Albino Face?

• Like 2

How dare you Powder is AMAZING (written by someone who hasn't seen this movie since they were 9)

At least X-files generally tries to have an explanation however nonsensical as to what's happening. This movie gives you nothing save a scene in the beginning where it looks like his mom was being not struck but abducted by lightning.

This movie also really suffers from casting people in their mid to late twenties playing high school age kids. When they brought him to the group home all I can remember thinking is why aren't they letting him live by himself after his grandparents passed away he definitely looks old enough to take care of himself.

I did like Jeff Goldblum in this but to be fair he's pretty fantastic in everything.

Watched this today, and this movie really is something else. I forgot how bipolar Powder was in this. He goes from menacingly threatening Mary Steenburgen to reconnecting Lance Henriksen with his comatose wife.

I wont lie and say I didnt start getting all weepy at the ending though.

Terrible movie...to each their own...but this line from the movie has always lived on in my head as the cheesiest line with the corniest delivery:

Powder: The worst day I can remember was in a hospital. Sheriff Barnum: What day was that? Powder: The day I was born.

This just seemed so damn stupid.

It also sets up the premise that electrocuting your baby will give it magical powers and a really good memory, which is troubling to say the least.

• Like 2

Aaaand this movie has officially been ruined for me, I had no fucking idea this was a Victor Silva film.

Really blows my mind how soon after his release that he was hired for a big studio film.

Sign in to follow this