🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Off-Week 6 (Quasar Sniffer's Pick)

Okay, Quasar, you're up. What's it going to be?

giphy.gif

• Like 6

ALL RIGHT INTERNET COMPATRIOTS, I really wanted to do Fiddler on the Roof because it is the OTHER Norman Jewison (who is a gentile)-directed, religious-themed musical that came our around 45 years ago that inexplicably became a Cultural Phenomenon... but I have seen that one before and, though I do LOVE LOVE LOVE it, I kind of wanted to pick something I hadn't seen before.

giphy.gif

SO, instead, I will pick the thing ALMOST as fun to sing about as religious persecution, pogroms, and the death of a way of life: the rise of the Nazi Party and the loss of personal freedom! It's Bob Fosse's 1972 classic Cabaret! This is a very important film to my co-worker and good friend so I have been looking for an opportunity to watch it so I can jibber-jabber about it at work. SO, THANKS FOR MAKING MY PERSONAL LIFE EASIER, INTERNET! No really, Thank You.

Let's do this, Dudes and Dames

giphy.gif

• Like 8

That's awesome! This couldn't have worked out better for me!

A few months ago, iTunes was having a 4.99 sale on Musicals. I bought five at the time, but I haven't had a chance to sit down and watch any of them. I bought both Fiddler on the Roof (Which I haven't seen since college) and Cabaret! (Which I've never seen)!

Thanks, Quasar! You've made me very happy!

• Like 7

I've never seen the movie of this either! (Don't tell my mum, she'll kill me)

I saw a terrible stage production of it years ago and then in about 2008 or something I was working as an audition reader for the Stratford Festival when they were casting their production of 'Cabaret' so I had to read opposite everyone coming in to audition for the show. This is my main memory of the musical: this audition process.

Great pick, Quasar, and sorry for taking 'Across the Universe' off the table. Mea culpa.

• Like 5

Also, the OCD part of me wants to say thanks to YOU, Cameron, for making us look at a Thread with a giant typo in its title all week.

tumblr_ljmtengwQg1qc5ob4.gif

• Like 4

Also, the OCD part of me wants to say thanks to YOU, Cameron, for making us look at a Thread with a giant typo in its title all week.

FIIIIIIXED!

805180865bce13f6df090bc7a9f7af2a.jpg

• Like 5

First, I'm very excited to see Cabaret as I too have never seen it.

e9d86-snl-so-freakin-excited.gif

Second, I'm going to have Fiddler on the Roof songs stuck in my head for the next day.

• Like 7

Yesssss! I am very excited about this pick!

Cabaret is one of the ones on my shortlist for picks, so now I can cross that off. I've never seen it either, but it's one I've been meaning to check out for a long time.

I also would have been happy with Fiddler on the Roof because I watched parts of it as a kid because my parents really liked it, but I never sat down and watched all of it. I know many of the songs like "Tradition," "Matchmaker," "Sunrise/Sunset," and "If I Were a Rich Man," but I really couldn't tell you anything about the movie's plot. So I wouldn't be disappointed if someone else picked this soon either.

• Like 7

AH I AM EXCITED! Cabaret is also one I've never seen but I've always wanted to! I've also always wanted to go out and see Alan Cummings in it because I've had a crush on him since I was a kid and who wouldn't want that lol.

• Like 6

I've also never seen but have wanted to :)

Excited to watch and to talk more musicals with you all.

200.gif#6

• Like 6

How could you have never seen Cabaret? Next you're gonna tell me you've never seen All That Jazz!

DON'T TELL ME

you goddamn millennials

choppingmall6.jpg

• Like 5

Just chiming in to say I've also never seen Cabaret. I hope I can join in again.

• Like 7

How could you have never seen Cabaret? Next you're gonna tell me you've never seen All That Jazz!

DON'T TELL ME

you goddamn millennials

choppingmall6.jpg

200.gif#16

Lol... I'll have to keep quiet then. I haven't seen that either.

• Like 8

DON'T TELL ME

you goddamn millennials

choppingmall6.jpg

People love to remind me that I'm one of the resident "Youths" and I've seen All That Jazz so suck on that lol

42b28a707a458d0f99bded4bb6e4bdc9.gif

• Like 8

Awesome! Add me to the list of people who have never seen Cabaret, the movie.

AH I AM EXCITED! Cabaret is also one I've never seen but I've always wanted to! I've also always wanted to go out and see Alan Cummings in it because I've had a crush on him since I was a kid and who wouldn't want that lol.

I saw the stage version with him as Emcee! He oozes charm.

It will be real interesting to compare the Fosse version with the Rob Marshall stage version.

• Like 6

I saw the stage version with him as Emcee! He oozes charm.

I BET HE DOES OMG

rjprmtjpg.gif

• Like 6

Oddly enough I HAVE seen Cabaret, both the movie and stage musical. (I haven't seen All That Jazz though. :( ).

Quick story about the stage version:

In New York it was playing in the old Studio 54 club space. Right around the stage were the small tables just big enough for a drink and three or four chairs at each table. Being by myself I got a seat right by the stage. As the dancers came out to stretch one was laying on her back on the stage right in front of me. She looked right at me and said "Do you want me to warm you up?" I'm like "Sure!" She said "A hundred bucks." I made the excuse of needing to go to the ATM and demurred. How I wished I'd had pocket money that day!

• Like 8

Just chiming in to say I've also never seen Cabaret. I hope I can join in again.

I hope we get some Cabaret drawings out of you ;)

• Like 8

"Do you want me to warm you up?" I'm like "Sure!" She said "A hundred bucks." I made the excuse of needing to go to the ATM and demurred. How I wished I'd had pocket money that day!

You missed out on a terrific cup of hot cocoa! Probably had those little marshmallows in it, for that price.

• Like 7

I hope we get some Cabaret drawings out of you ;)/>

I'm not sure I'm ready for these expectations lol

I was trying to sketch something for Surf Ninjas, but I'm so exhausted from work that I haven't been able to finish. I hate this week.

• Like 5

I'm not sure I'm ready for these expectations lol

I was trying to sketch something for Surf Ninjas, but I'm so exhausted from work that I haven't been able to finish. I hate this week.

Hey Jam can you make me a CakeBug avata...

No really, there's no expectation at all - you're awesome and you shouldn't stress! (totally joking about the above, if that's not clear).

Get some rest!

sleeping.gif

• Like 7

Hey Jam can you make me a CakeBug avata...

No really, there's no expectation at all - you're awesome and you shouldn't stress! (totally joking about the above, if that's not clear).

Get some rest!

I expect her to draw us all like one of her French girls.

• Like 7