🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
shahruz

Live from Bumbershoot 2011 Discussion

Fantastic shows.
Wonderful chemistry between Andy Daly & PFT.
Also loved the 3 show bundle with only 1 guest rotating. Really makes the set of 3 fit together nicely. Don't think it would have had as much appeal had it been 3 random guests on each episode.
3 hours of PFT definitely sold me on the deal.

If you're on the forum reading this and you haven't bought these yet: if you can afford it, do it!

I really enjoyed the shows... until I realized THERE WERE NO PLUGS!!! Upon realizing this I flew into a rage, smashed my ipod and kicked my dog. I considered perusing litigation against earwolf to recoup the cost of a new ipod and the vet bills but I thought I'd give Scott a chance to right the wrong he has personally brought upon me. So if you could email me the plugs that were missed before I relisten to the episodes, my dog would appreciate it and we can save the heartache of a highly publicized trial.

I really enjoyed the shows... until I realized THERE WERE NO PLUGS!!! Upon realizing this I flew into a rage, smashed my ipod and kicked my dog. I considered perusing litigation against earwolf to recoup the cost of a new ipod and the vet bills but I thought I'd give Scott a chance to right the wrong he has personally brought upon me. So if you could email me the plugs that were missed before I relisten to the episodes, my dog would appreciate it and we can save the heartache of a highly publicized trial.

I was so upset about the plugs I forgot to ask: There was a lot of making fun of hippies and drum circles, was the crowd all hippies? Mostly hippies?
I've wondered this about the UCB as well. I always kind of assumed the crowd that comes out for DLM and CBB to be mostly hippies?
I don't know why this matters, but I have to know.

I was so upset about the plugs I forgot to ask: There was a lot of making fun of hippies and drum circles, was the crowd all hippies? Mostly hippies?
I've wondered this about the UCB as well. I always kind of assumed the crowd that comes out for DLM and CBB to be mostly hippies?
I don't know why this matters, but I have to know.

@cakebob I think the "hippy/drum circle" reference is driven more by the general area: Seattle and the northwestern portion of the U.S. as opposed the specific bumbershoot/comedy audience. I've only been a couple times, but I would describe the DLM/CBB audience as more of a comedy nerd/hipster vibe. You know, ironic t-shirts, thick-rimmed glasses, tight jeans, etc. Harris Wittels' love of Phish seems to be an outlier - think more Death Cab for Cutie and less Grateful Dead.

@cakebob I think the "hippy/drum circle" reference is driven more by the general area: Seattle and the northwestern portion of the U.S. as opposed the specific bumbershoot/comedy audience. I've only been a couple times, but I would describe the DLM/CBB audience as more of a comedy nerd/hipster vibe. You know, ironic t-shirts, thick-rimmed glasses, tight jeans, etc. Harris Wittels' love of Phish seems to be an outlier - think more Death Cab for Cutie and less Grateful Dead.

@cakebob The bumbershoot music lineup doesn't particularly strike me as hippy focused: http://bumbershoot.org/lineup/ ; but my knowledge of "hippy" music ends at Phish, the String Cheese Incident, and Bela Fleck and the Fleck tones.
Many of our favorite earwolf hosts and guests probably can't be generalized to just one genre of music though. The Sklar Bros play indie music at the start of every show. Doug Benson has mentioned his love of the band 311 (!) and Broadway (i am guessing both plays and musicals). Both Scott Aukerman and Rob Delaney have musical theater backgrounds. Scott in particular seems to be a fan of rarer Sondheim work. He's also done parody songs of pop acts like Lady Gaga and Beyonce. One of the Apple sisters (seedy?) is currently performing in Jersey Boys. Brian Posehn is a huge metal-head. Jimmy Pardo likes Chicago, Kiss, and a bunch of other bands from the early 80's. PFT is performing with Ted Leo at Largo this weekend and has performed in the past with Aimee Mann and a whole host of other diverse musicians that commonly perform at Largo (Sara and Sean Watkins). Ed Helms does banjo/bluegrass music. Howard Kremer knows a lot about rap/hip hop and Kulap is pretty knowledgeable about top 40 music/dance-able tracks.
Everyone probably likes Prince though, cause he's pretty great. And "Bat Dance" is Scott's favorite song. With the exception of Harris Wittels, none of this points to your classic "hippy" scene.

@cakebob The bumbershoot music lineup doesn't particularly strike me as hippy focused: http://bumbershoot.org/lineup/ ; but my knowledge of "hippy" music ends at Phish, the String Cheese Incident, and Bela Fleck and the Fleck tones.
Many of our favorite earwolf hosts and guests probably can't be generalized to just one genre of music though. The Sklar Bros play indie music at the start of every show. Doug Benson has mentioned his love of the band 311 (!) and Broadway (i am guessing both plays and musicals). Both Scott Aukerman and Rob Delaney have musical theater backgrounds. Scott in particular seems to be a fan of rarer Sondheim work. He's also done parody songs of pop acts like Lady Gaga and Beyonce. One of the Apple sisters (seedy?) is currently performing in Jersey Boys. Brian Posehn is a huge metal-head. Jimmy Pardo likes Chicago, Kiss, and a bunch of other bands from the early 80's. PFT is performing with Ted Leo at Largo this weekend and has performed in the past with Aimee Mann and a whole host of other diverse musicians that commonly perform at Largo (Sara and Sean Watkins). Ed Helms does banjo/bluegrass music. Howard Kremer knows a lot about rap/hip hop and Kulap is pretty knowledgeable about top 40 music/dance-able tracks.
Everyone probably likes Prince though, cause he's pretty great. And "Bat Dance" is Scott's favorite song. With the exception of Harris Wittels, none of this points to your classic "hippy" scene.

"I always kind of assumed the crowd that comes out for DLM and CBB to be mostly hippies?"

That would be 'hipsters'.

"I always kind of assumed the crowd that comes out for DLM and CBB to be mostly hippies?"

That would be 'hipsters'.

Thanks Chris N Anderson. I'm so unhip I get hippies and hipsters confused. I think I'm just more familiar with hippies, I've been dragged to a bunch of Phish shows and back when I was a little younger and hipper I don't think there were many hipsters around the southern east coast, at least I didn't know any.
I never mistook any earwolf host for a hippie, I just thought that was what "the kids" are still into.

Thanks Chris N Anderson. I'm so unhip I get hippies and hipsters confused. I think I'm just more familiar with hippies, I've been dragged to a bunch of Phish shows and back when I was a little younger and hipper I don't think there were many hipsters around the southern east coast, at least I didn't know any.
I never mistook any earwolf host for a hippie, I just thought that was what "the kids" are still into.

Our shopping cart software, Magento, just stopped working. We're trying to figure it out, but in the meantime hold tight, I'm sure we'll get them back up soon. So sorry for this, it's a pain in the ass for sure.

Our shopping cart software, Magento, just stopped working. We're trying to figure it out, but in the meantime hold tight, I'm sure we'll get them back up soon. So sorry for this, it's a pain in the ass for sure.

"I really enjoyed the shows... until I realized THERE WERE NO PLUGS!!! Upon realizing this I flew into a rage, smashed my ipod and kicked my dog. I considered perusing litigation against earwolf to recoup the cost of a new ipod and the vet bills but I thought I'd give Scott a chance to right the wrong he has personally brought upon me. So if you could email me the plugs that were missed before I relisten to the episodes, my dog would appreciate it and we can save the heartache of a highly publicized trial."

i did all of the above, plus murder a village of retarded infants.

Sign in to follow this