🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 122 — Shanghaied by Irene

I judge a CBB season as the episode after the Thanksgiving show to the next Thanksgiving show. Those shows are up for the awards later in the year.

I judge a CBB season as the episode after the Thanksgiving show to the next Thanksgiving show. Those shows are up for the awards later in the year.

I really do miss the Would You Rather theme running way too long and making everyone feel awkward.

Jeremy Piven

I really do miss the Would You Rather theme running way too long and making everyone feel awkward.

Jeremy Piven

I have mixed feelings about this one. PFT was hilarious as always, and Yo La Tengo was excellent. Still, I honestly did end up kind of feeling bad for Zach. I get that they're all friends and everything, but his feelings genuinely seemed a little hurt by the end of the episode. I don't think it's necessarily Scott or Paul's fault, as Zach mentioned up top that he was in kind of a bad mood, but I just don't like listening to people feeling actual sadness or anger during this kind of show. I actually feel the same way about Ep. 59 (the one with the first appearance of August Lindt): there is a TON of funny stuff in that episode, but the part where Todd Glass becomes so upset that he threatens to leave keeps me from listening to that particular episode too often.
I don't know, am I being too sensitive about this? There is a lot of humor to be had from fake emotional distress, but genuine stuff like that is kind of a buzzkill to me.

I have mixed feelings about this one. PFT was hilarious as always, and Yo La Tengo was excellent. Still, I honestly did end up kind of feeling bad for Zach. I get that they're all friends and everything, but his feelings genuinely seemed a little hurt by the end of the episode. I don't think it's necessarily Scott or Paul's fault, as Zach mentioned up top that he was in kind of a bad mood, but I just don't like listening to people feeling actual sadness or anger during this kind of show. I actually feel the same way about Ep. 59 (the one with the first appearance of August Lindt): there is a TON of funny stuff in that episode, but the part where Todd Glass becomes so upset that he threatens to leave keeps me from listening to that particular episode too often.
I don't know, am I being too sensitive about this? There is a lot of humor to be had from fake emotional distress, but genuine stuff like that is kind of a buzzkill to me.

YLT need to get some sort of trophy for being the most charmingly chilled-out people on the planet. I had to listen to their music right after hearing the podcast. Who doesn't love those guys? So great that they were on.

In other news: PFT hit it out of the EFFING PARK w/ the Herzog character out of nowhere. Dude is supernatural or something. Probably powerful.

@CrustyDustReceptacle - I think the Zach thing is sort of his 'character', yeah? Auckerman just plays into it really hard. They've worked together a lot and I think they probably both know what's going on. I enjoyed it, regardless.

YLT need to get some sort of trophy for being the most charmingly chilled-out people on the planet. I had to listen to their music right after hearing the podcast. Who doesn't love those guys? So great that they were on.

In other news: PFT hit it out of the EFFING PARK w/ the Herzog character out of nowhere. Dude is supernatural or something. Probably powerful.

@CrustyDustReceptacle - I think the Zach thing is sort of his 'character', yeah? Auckerman just plays into it really hard. They've worked together a lot and I think they probably both know what's going on. I enjoyed it, regardless.

Great episode! I am so glad I didn't peek at the cast before listening. I couldn't figure out who was doing Werner. PFT never tipped his hand. Brilliant! And how can ZG be funny by just being himself? No material, no prepared characters - but he is. Loved it. It's actually good that every show is not a home run (most are). It allows you to lower your expectations once ina while. Loved it. I want to meet a woman in SF who loves this show (be careful what you wish for, son).

Great episode! I am so glad I didn't peek at the cast before listening. I couldn't figure out who was doing Werner. PFT never tipped his hand. Brilliant! And how can ZG be funny by just being himself? No material, no prepared characters - but he is. Loved it. It's actually good that every show is not a home run (most are). It allows you to lower your expectations once ina while. Loved it. I want to meet a woman in SF who loves this show (be careful what you wish for, son).

Fantastic. I really liked this episode. Always a pleasure to hear "Would You Rather", especially with PFT's brain going a mile a minute during the game. It seems no matter which character he's playing, they always have a machine gun approach to playing.
Might I add, too, that it seemed during a few of the recent "character" episodes, the characters didn't come into their own until the show was half over. It wasn't until the line about eating mashed potatoes with a gun that I fell for Eddie Pepitone's character. And I recall it taking some time (suprisingly) before I started to think Andy Daly's murder nurse was funny. But Tompkins' (per usual) knocked it out of the park right away with Herzog. Bravo, sir.
I don't think Zach was having that bad of a time because he kept laughing during the whole show. (Except for when he was feeding the meter.) I think his slightly blasé, disappointed-to-be-there attitude is part of his schtick. He seems to act that way on every comedy podcast I've heard him on.

Fantastic. I really liked this episode. Always a pleasure to hear "Would You Rather", especially with PFT's brain going a mile a minute during the game. It seems no matter which character he's playing, they always have a machine gun approach to playing.
Might I add, too, that it seemed during a few of the recent "character" episodes, the characters didn't come into their own until the show was half over. It wasn't until the line about eating mashed potatoes with a gun that I fell for Eddie Pepitone's character. And I recall it taking some time (suprisingly) before I started to think Andy Daly's murder nurse was funny. But Tompkins' (per usual) knocked it out of the park right away with Herzog. Bravo, sir.
I don't think Zach was having that bad of a time because he kept laughing during the whole show. (Except for when he was feeding the meter.) I think his slightly blasé, disappointed-to-be-there attitude is part of his schtick. He seems to act that way on every comedy podcast I've heard him on.

I just want to say Zach was not really upset. We had dinner afterward, and then went out drinking all night. We are friends. That is all.

I just want to say Zach was not really upset. We had dinner afterward, and then went out drinking all night. We are friends. That is all.

• Like 1

Anyone listen to Bear Down Podcast recently? Strange similarity to this episode... only released 3 days earlier.

Anyone listen to Bear Down Podcast recently? Strange similarity to this episode... only released 3 days earlier.

Yo La Tengo is great! He's my favorite member of The State and Reno 911! I didn't know he was also a band.

Yo La Tengo is great! He's my favorite member of The State and Reno 911! I didn't know he was also a band.

Well look at that guy name-dropping in this forum, who does he think he... oh it's Skit Eekerman.

I lost it at this exchange:

Werner: Will you please name the number of animals with which you've worked?
Zach: Polar bear.
Werner: That's not a number.
Zach: I'm counting in my head.
Werner: You're actually saying it out loud.
Zach: You can do both.
Werner: It's a free country?
Zach: Yea- yes. Well this is not Germany anymore. You're not in Germany.
Werner: Those were the days, when this was Germany.
Scott: Alright so polar bear... and you wha- in the first of what we hope will be many Hangovers, what was the, what was the animal in the bathroom?
Zach: Bradley Cooper!

Well look at that guy name-dropping in this forum, who does he think he... oh it's Skit Eekerman.

I lost it at this exchange:

Werner: Will you please name the number of animals with which you've worked?
Zach: Polar bear.
Werner: That's not a number.
Zach: I'm counting in my head.
Werner: You're actually saying it out loud.
Zach: You can do both.
Werner: It's a free country?
Zach: Yea- yes. Well this is not Germany anymore. You're not in Germany.
Werner: Those were the days, when this was Germany.
Scott: Alright so polar bear... and you wha- in the first of what we hope will be many Hangovers, what was the, what was the animal in the bathroom?
Zach: Bradley Cooper!

I too had mix feelings, but after reading everyone's quotes from the show. I decide it was great episode.... I think my mix feelings come from having too high of hopes for this episode. I mean, the last ZG and PFT episode set the bar really high.

Sign in to follow this