🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 10.3 — The Final Challenge: Day 3

I want to start by saying that Matt was a great host and to echo Scott sentiments, I enjoyed having him in my earholes 3 days a week. Thanks Matt!
-
Congratulations to Totally Laime! Elizabeth and Andy, I look forward to your first Earwolf episode.
-
Personally I would have picked The Little Dum Dum Club. Tommy and Karl consistently make me laugh which is what I look for in a podcast and they have definitely gained a subscriber and fan in me. Either way Earwolf gained a strong podcast.
-
Thanks Earwolf team, I was surprised at how invested in the process I became. Can't wait for a season 2.

Congrats to Totally Laime! It was a well deserved win. I thought the reasoning for the judges only looking at the 30 minute submission was perfectly laid out and totally logical. It would be cool if marketability and fit were a challenge though at some time in next season’s competition, and it could easily be a part of making them do an actual show pitch to the judges. I am a huge Wolf Den fan though, so maybe that’s not something everyone wants to hear about.

I also want to echo people’s comments about how great the show was. The producers did an awesome job. This seemed like so much work, and I think they really nailed it. And, Matt was an amazing host. People have commented that they thought the show needed to be more concise in the beginning, but I thought the absolute height of the show was Matt just going off on what defines things like a good recurring segment or theme song / intro.

If anything, I think the show could have easily had more somewhat meandering conversations about those topics with Matt and guest judges or even just Matt and the producers. I learned so much about comedy in the first couple weeks of the show, and I think once the challenges started repeating a bit, the show got away from that more than it needed to. There were a handful of places where I really wanted the guest judges to tell more stories of really bad or really good experiences they had relating to a challenge’s theme. During the Bait and Switch challenge, Matt Belknap didn’t tell the tale of NNF having Maria Bamford just not show up for a taping and Dave Holmes showing up 30 minutes in to the show as a guest. But during the Using the Guest challenge, having Matt Besser talk about all the great things Howard and Kulap did on Who Charted was one of my favorite discussions of The Challenge.

Even though it is a lot more work, I really agree with the comments that there should have been notes / discussion time given to the top podcasts each week. The Challenge maybe had too much discussion of what didn’t work and why instead of what did work, and how others can do it too.

At the end of the day, I really really really hope there is a Season 2!

Congrats to Totally Laime! It was a well deserved win. I thought the reasoning for the judges only looking at the 30 minute submission was perfectly laid out and totally logical. It would be cool if marketability and fit were a challenge though at some time in next season’s competition, and it could easily be a part of making them do an actual show pitch to the judges. I am a huge Wolf Den fan though, so maybe that’s not something everyone wants to hear about.

I also want to echo people’s comments about how great the show was. The producers did an awesome job. This seemed like so much work, and I think they really nailed it. And, Matt was an amazing host. People have commented that they thought the show needed to be more concise in the beginning, but I thought the absolute height of the show was Matt just going off on what defines things like a good recurring segment or theme song / intro.

If anything, I think the show could have easily had more somewhat meandering conversations about those topics with Matt and guest judges or even just Matt and the producers. I learned so much about comedy in the first couple weeks of the show, and I think once the challenges started repeating a bit, the show got away from that more than it needed to. There were a handful of places where I really wanted the guest judges to tell more stories of really bad or really good experiences they had relating to a challenge’s theme. During the Bait and Switch challenge, Matt Belknap didn’t tell the tale of NNF having Maria Bamford just not show up for a taping and Dave Holmes showing up 30 minutes in to the show as a guest. But during the Using the Guest challenge, having Matt Besser talk about all the great things Howard and Kulap did on Who Charted was one of my favorite discussions of The Challenge.

Even though it is a lot more work, I really agree with the comments that there should have been notes / discussion time given to the top podcasts each week. The Challenge maybe had too much discussion of what didn’t work and why instead of what did work, and how others can do it too.

At the end of the day, I really really really hope there is a Season 2!

Congratulations to Totally Laime for winning the inaugural Earwolf Challenge! Saying it's the inaugural one means there will be more, right?

Congratulations are also in order for the Earwolf Network for a successful season of the world's first reality competition podcast. There may have been bumps along the way as you guys were figuring things out, but the Challenge has been a huge success in terms of engaging listening. Sure, it may not have brought the mainstream crowd that Jeff wished for, but for comedy fans (ok, nerds), this show has been a boon. Not only were we exposed to podcasts we may have never been introduced to otherwise, but we were also unwittingly enrolled in a 10-week long comedy master class by Matt Besser and a parade of comedy podcasting luminaries. The Challenge will be sorely missed every Monday-Wednesday until its glorious return for Season 2.

Loved that this episode was a 2-hour retrospective as well as winner reveal. I could (and evidently just did) listen to Hop Scotcherman and Matt Wheelhouse Besser discuss comedy for hours. I think this has been the clearest, best-explained judging day, and I really enjoyed the elucidation of each judges decision. Well done, boys.

Lastly, thanks to Frank and Peter for all the hard work, a fond g'bye dickheads to the boys of the Dum Dum Club, and welcome to the Earwolf Network and a second congrats to Totally Laime!

Congratulations to Totally Laime for winning the inaugural Earwolf Challenge! Saying it's the inaugural one means there will be more, right?

Congratulations are also in order for the Earwolf Network for a successful season of the world's first reality competition podcast. There may have been bumps along the way as you guys were figuring things out, but the Challenge has been a huge success in terms of engaging listening. Sure, it may not have brought the mainstream crowd that Jeff wished for, but for comedy fans (ok, nerds), this show has been a boon. Not only were we exposed to podcasts we may have never been introduced to otherwise, but we were also unwittingly enrolled in a 10-week long comedy master class by Matt Besser and a parade of comedy podcasting luminaries. The Challenge will be sorely missed every Monday-Wednesday until its glorious return for Season 2.

Loved that this episode was a 2-hour retrospective as well as winner reveal. I could (and evidently just did) listen to Hop Scotcherman and Matt Wheelhouse Besser discuss comedy for hours. I think this has been the clearest, best-explained judging day, and I really enjoyed the elucidation of each judges decision. Well done, boys.

Lastly, thanks to Frank and Peter for all the hard work, a fond g'bye dickheads to the boys of the Dum Dum Club, and welcome to the Earwolf Network and a second congrats to Totally Laime!

Congrats to Totally Laime...I will definitely be subscribing and checking you guys out each week!
This episode seriously had me on the edge of my seat. I don't think I've ever got this invested in the outcome of any competition I wasn't involved in. Great breakdowns and explanations from all. Thanks again to the Matt and the boys, Jeff, and Scott for allowing this unique idea come to be. I'm definitely hoping for a season two (take some time off though and give yourself a full year break...plus my queue of podcasts couldn't keep up with more new additions currently).
I definitely would have been fine with either choice for the winner and hope LDDC gets picked up by another network as mentioned by some others. They have a lot to offer and can definitely broaden a network's listenership quite easily. I also agree with other people who stated that they may actually have had the overall edge in "marketability" in the long run. Logistically, TL makes more sense with the very limited podcast budgets though and adding another female voice is always good to keep it from being to much of a boys club.
Brendan L

Congrats to Totally Laime...I will definitely be subscribing and checking you guys out each week!
This episode seriously had me on the edge of my seat. I don't think I've ever got this invested in the outcome of any competition I wasn't involved in. Great breakdowns and explanations from all. Thanks again to the Matt and the boys, Jeff, and Scott for allowing this unique idea come to be. I'm definitely hoping for a season two (take some time off though and give yourself a full year break...plus my queue of podcasts couldn't keep up with more new additions currently).
I definitely would have been fine with either choice for the winner and hope LDDC gets picked up by another network as mentioned by some others. They have a lot to offer and can definitely broaden a network's listenership quite easily. I also agree with other people who stated that they may actually have had the overall edge in "marketability" in the long run. Logistically, TL makes more sense with the very limited podcast budgets though and adding another female voice is always good to keep it from being to much of a boys club.
Brendan L

What a fantastic finale. I really loved listening to you guys dissect the process and recap the competition. I think the real winner here is Earwolf Challenge, a show more compelling than any of the contestants (no offense meant to them!).
I found the results surprising, during the discussion it felt like all signs were pointing to LDDC. I was slightly leaning towards TL before this episode, but as you guys chatted about LDDC's strength, I was agreeing: "yes, they ARE funnier... yes, they ARE better at mining topics for comedy". I guess it boiled down to TL having more of a "hook".
Which is fine. I'm already a subscriber to TL, and although I don't have as much time for podcasts as I used to, I'll probably start subscribing to LDDC too. But what I'm really looking forward to is more EWC.
Congrats to Elizabeth and Andy, and good show to Tommy and Karl!

What a fantastic finale. I really loved listening to you guys dissect the process and recap the competition. I think the real winner here is Earwolf Challenge, a show more compelling than any of the contestants (no offense meant to them!).
I found the results surprising, during the discussion it felt like all signs were pointing to LDDC. I was slightly leaning towards TL before this episode, but as you guys chatted about LDDC's strength, I was agreeing: "yes, they ARE funnier... yes, they ARE better at mining topics for comedy". I guess it boiled down to TL having more of a "hook".
Which is fine. I'm already a subscriber to TL, and although I don't have as much time for podcasts as I used to, I'll probably start subscribing to LDDC too. But what I'm really looking forward to is more EWC.
Congrats to Elizabeth and Andy, and good show to Tommy and Karl!

After listening, I have one burning question:
Which is the weirder tv spin-off, Lou Grant or Trapper John MD? Both spun off characters from a half hour sitcom into hour long dramas. Trapper John seems weirder because it took a charcter from MASH and brought him into modern times, and had a different actor play the role too. Although, having Ed Asner contiue to play Lou Grant in a completely different context seems almost weirder. Thoughts?
Oh, and I guess congrats to all involved in EWC

After listening, I have one burning question:
Which is the weirder tv spin-off, Lou Grant or Trapper John MD? Both spun off characters from a half hour sitcom into hour long dramas. Trapper John seems weirder because it took a charcter from MASH and brought him into modern times, and had a different actor play the role too. Although, having Ed Asner contiue to play Lou Grant in a completely different context seems almost weirder. Thoughts?
Oh, and I guess congrats to all involved in EWC

Much as I hate the decision, and I do, let's be honest, just about every reality show has had maybe one or two deserving winners total, can't expect them to get it exactly right on the first try.

Much as I hate the decision, and I do, let's be honest, just about every reality show has had maybe one or two deserving winners total, can't expect them to get it exactly right on the first try.

I listened all the way through the Challenge and I just wanted to say thanks to Matt Besser for keeping the show interesting and funny throughout. Hope you guys do a second season.

I listened all the way through the Challenge and I just wanted to say thanks to Matt Besser for keeping the show interesting and funny throughout. Hope you guys do a second season.

When I heard it mentioned that LDDC let their guests overshadow them 'like the Bob and Dan cast did when they got eliminated', I started having fear flashbacks. The shadow of doubt really established itself in my mind every time Scott seemed sort of reticent to note that LDDC's submission was "a little bit funnier". Nevertheless, I held out hope until the bitter end. Frankly, Matt Besser became my favorite person in the world when he voted for LDDC. Ah well. It was not meant to be.
I will argue that The Little Dumb Dumb Club seems to me to be more marketable, even beyond the fact that I find it funnier. In my opinion, Australian accents will trump married couple banter as a marketable novelty ever time. Of course, I don't know anything about marketing, so there's that.
What it comes down to for me is that Totally Laime is just really not for me. I am way more interested in something that is really funny, even with occasional lulls, than something that is reliably mildly entertaining. I also am not really feeling the adorability vibe. But to quote the great Scott Aukerman, "Art is for the people who likes it." So I don my fire-proof teeshirt, and bid a fond farewell to season one of the Earwolf challenge. Whatever else I might want to say about the desicions, I was on the edge of my seat all the way.

When I heard it mentioned that LDDC let their guests overshadow them 'like the Bob and Dan cast did when they got eliminated', I started having fear flashbacks. The shadow of doubt really established itself in my mind every time Scott seemed sort of reticent to note that LDDC's submission was "a little bit funnier". Nevertheless, I held out hope until the bitter end. Frankly, Matt Besser became my favorite person in the world when he voted for LDDC. Ah well. It was not meant to be.
I will argue that The Little Dumb Dumb Club seems to me to be more marketable, even beyond the fact that I find it funnier. In my opinion, Australian accents will trump married couple banter as a marketable novelty ever time. Of course, I don't know anything about marketing, so there's that.
What it comes down to for me is that Totally Laime is just really not for me. I am way more interested in something that is really funny, even with occasional lulls, than something that is reliably mildly entertaining. I also am not really feeling the adorability vibe. But to quote the great Scott Aukerman, "Art is for the people who likes it." So I don my fire-proof teeshirt, and bid a fond farewell to season one of the Earwolf challenge. Whatever else I might want to say about the desicions, I was on the edge of my seat all the way.

Hooray Totally Laime! The better podcast has officially won despite the 3 or 4 nay-sayers that cried as loud as 20. I liked LDDC, but could not get past the poor sound quality and how hard it is to listen to men with such shrill voices. All the great guests and material in the world can't make up for the fact that the actual sound is ghastly. No matter who's side you're on, though, we can all breathe a collective sigh of relief that Dirk will be leaving Earwolf's fan base forever. That is, if he's a man of his word (which is unlikely).

Hooray Totally Laime! The better podcast has officially won despite the 3 or 4 nay-sayers that cried as loud as 20. I liked LDDC, but could not get past the poor sound quality and how hard it is to listen to men with such shrill voices. All the great guests and material in the world can't make up for the fact that the actual sound is ghastly. No matter who's side you're on, though, we can all breathe a collective sigh of relief that Dirk will be leaving Earwolf's fan base forever. That is, if he's a man of his word (which is unlikely).

@Raymond I'm a little confused by comments I saw saying that it'd be good for Earwolf to have a female host. surely Apple Sisters, Who Charted, Professor Blastoff, and even How did this get Made? fills any token female host/co-host quota's Earwolf would need to fill. And from a business perspective, being an international podcasting station opens up Earwolf to wider audiences.
-
But yeah I don't really know what I'm talking about and I don't think Earwolf really stands to gain much from putting an amature podcast on their network, so none of this is relevant.

@Raymond I'm a little confused by comments I saw saying that it'd be good for Earwolf to have a female host. surely Apple Sisters, Who Charted, Professor Blastoff, and even How did this get Made? fills any token female host/co-host quota's Earwolf would need to fill. And from a business perspective, being an international podcasting station opens up Earwolf to wider audiences.
-
But yeah I don't really know what I'm talking about and I don't think Earwolf really stands to gain much from putting an amature podcast on their network, so none of this is relevant.

well who didn't see this coming from day 1?
nothing wrong with Totally Laime. i'll listen. and i'm be listening to the Dum Dum's too.
fun challenge guys, thanks for the effort. bring on season 2 sooner than later!

well who didn't see this coming from day 1?
nothing wrong with Totally Laime. i'll listen. and i'm be listening to the Dum Dum's too.
fun challenge guys, thanks for the effort. bring on season 2 sooner than later!

Sign in to follow this