🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 158 - Body Parts: LIVE!

GUYS:

VAMPIRE JACOBS LADDER KISS

Everything after the initial surgery scene is the world seen through the filter of Jeff Fahey's delusional brain! That's why when he wakes up and no one does anything (which [the waking-up-in-surgery] is a pretty big deal from what I understand!) and also why he's the only one who sees visions! This is also why no one believes him: he's stringing together coincidences with the bare thread that is the psycho-arm hypothesis and no one's buying because even these laymen know what this god damn psychiatrist does not: your brain controls your arm! Not the other way around!

Jeff Fahey for real is shitty to his family and justifies it as arm-related. Jeff Fahey hallucinates the doctor's explanation into a what-has-science-done-type evil speech. Jeff Fahey kills Legs and blacks the memory out of his brain. Jeff Fahey hears about Art-Arm dying by accident and his broken brain determines it was by murder. Jeff Fahey imagines his struggle to overcome the detective in his car is actually him struggling with the 'killer' in a comically improbable chase scene. Jeff Fahey seeks out the doctor and completely fabricates the son/body-part-tank scene as he actually kills them in a delusional fugue state.

It seems like a stretch but consider this: at the end, except for Jeff Fahey, everyone connected to the psycho-chop-shop scheme who could refute his account is dead and he makes a super creepy joke about fighting for the arm! This is why the diary is a reoccurring thing! This is through Jeff Fahey's eye's and he is an unreliable narrator! I mean, the movie ends with ominous music and a zoomout with the killer hand front and center!

TL;DR: The trauma of the arm transplant triggers psychosis

• Like 2

Haha, just listening to the episode now, it seems like they've already picked up on my turtleneck color scheme theory.

• Like 2

^ While a great set of observations, this was covered fairly explicitly (almost word-for-word by Gillian in the colour symbolism section) in the early part of today's episode, no?

Absolutely right, I am listening now. I commented after I watched but prior to listening.

I am fully on team she is not the mother. Is that whole idea based entirely on her putting her jacket over Charlie while he is on his knees holding all the limbs? Isn't that just supposed to be her as a Dr. Frankenstein looking with pity at her creation?

But to hell with all that. I am here to talk about Detective Hat (actual character name Detective Sawchuck which is awesome.) In the handcuff car scene when Charlie slaps on the cuffs and then speeds away Detective Hat responds INSTANTANEOUSLY. If any mere mortal had been driving Charlie would have been long down the road with the arm. He doesn't belong in this movie he should be in the Fast and Furious franchise.

I hope it's awesome because he shares his name with the second greatest goaltender ever

• Like 1

I hope it's awesome because he shares his name with the second greatest goaltender ever

I have to admit I wasn't familiar. And looking him up the first picture that pops up makes it look like he should have been in this movie.

• Like 1

VAMPIRE JACOBS LADDER KISS

Did we have bets going on what page the Jacob's Ladder movie mash up would be posted?

• Like 5

a few things:

is jeff fahey's character immune to anesthetics or something because he was awake during the initial operation and then he woke up again when they were trying to take off his arm.

And the killer is not anesthetized when his head is being sawed off, which would seem to clearly be a case of cruel and unusual punishment! It seems like a big coincidence, unless that is intended as further evidence of Fahey as an unreliable narrator. I initially assumed that him waking up from the vision of decapitation was just a typical "it was all a dream/apprehension" fake-out.

movietimefamily_keyword_20160608_1157.jpg

Someone with better photoshop skills than me [and who likes to do that sort of thing] should definitely photoshop Paul and June's faces onto this image.

• Like 11

When Paul talked about the guy he knew at school, making sure there was always an outline around his dick, it just reminded me of a guy I knew who did something similar, and I just ended up crying with laughter.

Every so often, he'd "adjust himself", to use a more polite euphamism. He'd do that in an attempt to make it look bigger to get what is known where I come from as a "semi-on" so that he'd stand a better chance of "Getting a bonk" as he'd call it.

• Like 1

I feel like this movie was missing an extended scene, maybe at the end where Dr. Webb explains that she'd transplanted the head of her son, Charlie Fletcher on a cadaver, but the cadaver had been dead for too long and it's tissue was breaking down and decomposing and he needed his original body parts which had been temporarily rejuvenating while attached to the nervous and circulatory systems of other "hosts," those being the recipients of the transplants. Then again, why is the torso still being preserved in the tank? I don't know how you spin this plot to make sense. But for a movie that was 80 minutes long, it seems like they could have added one more scene to explain this a bit better. Also what's with Fahey movies including awful Doctor names? Doctor's Larry Angelo and Bill Crashank.

• Like 2

Did we have bets going on what page the Jacob's Ladder movie mash up would be posted?

We should start a forum bingo with stuff like, "Jacob's Ladder scenario" and "Lazy shared universe theory"

• Like 6

I only wanted to say that I call my dad Pops a lot of the time. I refer to him as dad to other people, but Pops to his face.

Just so you know there's one person.

• Like 8

movietimefamily_keyword_20160608_1157.jpg

Someone with better photoshop skills than me [and who likes to do that sort of thing] should definitely photoshop Paul and June's faces onto this image.

Here ya go:

QPsyoSO.png

• Like 9

I'm gonna post/share my notes from my 2nd viewing of "Body Parts" now that the episode is out...

I was going to takes notes but ended up taking just this one:

OH PLEASE TELL ME THEY TRANSPLANTED HIS HEAD ONTO ANOTHER BODY!!!!

and they did so I was happy .. this movie just got crazier and crazier.

• Like 2

and this is my favourite part ... i love how the torso is still breathing

giphy.gif

* I have to admit that I was a bit perplexed by the "mom"'s James-Bond-Villain-reveal scene. She's boasting that she can bring these body parts back together and reanimate the corpse. But, isn't her entire concept basically already proven by the fact that these limbs are already acting in concert with their original host, Charlie? If the limbs are still alive and doing their thing, then isn't her theory and end game moot?

*With its loud-quite-loud line delivery, is this movie the cinematic version of a Pixies song?

* I think there was a Simpson's episode from one of the Tree House of Horrors episodes that was possibly inspired by this movie. Homer has Snake Jailbird's luscious head of hair transplanted onto his head after Snake is put to death. The hair, of course, is possessed by the evil ghost of Snake and it inevitably makes Homer perform evil acts. The story climaxes with Homer ripping the hair off his head and Chief Wiggum shooting the hair several times.

* I'm not sure if Gillian Jacobs has already seen it, but another film to add to her cinema-going experience is 1996's Kissed, starring Molly Parker. IMDB describes it as: "Over the years, a child's romantic ideals about death blossom into necrophilia, the study of embalming and the most profound relationship of her life."

* I think Jeff Fahey is more the proto-Eric Roberts than the proto-Nicolas Cage. Not only that, but they could convincingly play brothers in a movie. Hollywood, get on this!

Speaking of James Bond villians, I couldn't help but be reminded of one with a neckbrace due to below-the-neck health issues, making for a less than intimidating opponent in vehicular combat (although the lack of a threat was a deliberate statement):

• Like 1

Speaking of James Bond villians, I couldn't help but be reminded of one with a neckbrace for below-the-neck health issues, a less than intimidating geature for an opponent in vehicular combat (although the lack of a threat was a deliberate statement):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=U00tRdMKTqI

I love that this entire opening was a big "fuck you" to Kevin McClory, who owned the rights to Blofeld and Specrte.

From IMDB: "This Bond film [Never Say Never Again] was not part of the franchise produced by MGM and Danjaq. Kevin McClory, who was producer and co-writer of Thunderball (1965), won a legal battle against Ian Fleming to make his own Bond movie. The settlement stipulated that it had to effectively be a remake of Thunderball."

Eon, the official production company of James Bond films weren't allowed to use Blofeld or Spectre in their movies after the settlement, so this was their work around: essentially letting McClory know that James Bond's success wasn't tethered to a single villain or evil cabal.

Of course, after McClory's death, Eon brought both Blofeld and Spectre back in Spectre, so perhaps this was a double "fuck you" from them to McClory.

Get Gilly in a Wes Anderson movie RIGHT NOW!

• Like 3

I figured I'd jump in on this.

movie-night.jpg

• Like 12