🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 158 - Body Parts: LIVE!

Feel free to post more pictures though.

You got it!

459782da3170257975552fb068c3028e.jpg

Cameron, are you just digging into your own personal collection of shirtless pics? Cause there are so many better ones from True Blood lol.

(I'm right there with you on sticking with that entire trash show, Cam Bert. Having Jason not end up with Jessica in the end is absolutely ridiculous.)

• Like 4

Cameron, are you just digging into your own personal collection of shirtless pics? Cause there are so many better ones from True Blood lol.

Yes. These are all from a boudoir shot I did with him. It's less about him and more about me just marketing my work.

tumblr_mplteo2npu1rwh743o2_250.gif

• Like 5

(I'm right there with you on sticking with that entire trash show, Cam Bert. Having Jason not end up with Jessica in the end is absolutely ridiculous.)

I was disappointed with that too! Hoyt? WTF were they thinking?

• Like 3

I didn't watch the movie before listening to this episode but it did remind me of a Tree House of Horrors episode of the Simpsons.

When Snake is executed, Homer gets Snake's hair transplanted onto his head. The hair takes control of Homer making him talk and act like Snake then sending him on a killing spree, drowning Apu in the Squishee machine and pulling out Moe's heart with a corkscrew.

The segment is called 'Hell Toupee'. Wiki says it hints at the movie 'Shocker' so maybe you guys can watch that one too and let me know which is closer.

1-_hell_toupee.png?w=491&h=368

I've seen Shocker a few times. I think this Simpsons segment has a lot more in common with Body Parts [and a segment of John Carpenter's Body Bags] than it does with Shocker. In Shocker, a guy is being executed, and his soul or lifeforce becomes electricity and then he can somehow jump from body to body and travel through power lines.

• Like 3

There has been a lot of posting without reading the prior threads, which lead to a lot of double posts. The Simpsons posts, and the posts with C+Os outlining things that are actually mentioned in the podcast: this stuff clutters the boards. Please just read through before adding.

Aw shit! Look out Dan Engler, CakeBug is coming for your job!!!

• Like 3

Let me see if I can clarify--and most likely contradict myself and expose my hypocrisy ;)/>/> I'm talking about "good" movies. A "good": movie, to me, is something like Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. I watched it a couple of weeks ago and...it was fine. It entertained. It was serviceable. It was "good." However, I have no desire to really "get into it." What you're talking about, to me, are "great" movies or "fantastic" movies. The difference between "great" and "good" is as wide a gulf (in my opinion) as between "bad" and "terrible." "Bad" is fun; "Terrible" is unwatchable.

Let me put it another way: I baked a batch of homemade strawberry muffins last night from a recipe I found online. When they were done, I tasted one and it was...good. It was good because I followed the recipe to the letter, but I don't have any desire to share it with anyone. I may not even use it again. Now, let's say I deviated from the recipe (even slightly) and added lemon zest and vanilla and cayenne pepper. Assuming that it doesn't have any effect on the quality at all, subjectivity aside, we have three possible outcomes.

• They become inedible--I spit it out and say "never again."
  • They become delicious--I call everyone I know and share my awesome recipe! Maybe I memorize the recipe down to the teaspoon. I wink as I share my "secret" ingredient (always love). I talk about how good "my" muffins taste. I take pride when other people tell me they've made them and loved them. I also never, ever, ever try to improve upon that recipe.
  • They become bad--What was I thinking? Was it the cayenne pepper? (surprisingly, no) Did my ingredients just not work within the recipe? (Ha! Ha! You should have seen your face when you bit into it!) I've made a similar recipe before and it was fine, what was different this time? (Maybe I shouldn't "meth" while I'm baking...) Are my muffin pans okay? (These muffins don't look...right.) They didn't come out sweet. (Oops, I put in 1 1/2 cups of salt, not sugar!) They just taste weird...(Here. Have another bite). Maybe it was the eggs? (It turns out that they are racist and refer to the gallon of milk in my fridge as a "Lactoid.") I was just trying to make a delicious muffin, maybe I just can't bake for shit. I should try again...

As for giving Legion "a few episodes," I'm sorry, but no. I was just having a conversation about this the other day. Had you asked me 5 or 6 years ago, I would have said okay, but I just don't have the time I used to devote to something I'm just not feeling. The best I can say is maybe, when my mood is more amenable to it, I might give it another shot. I don't doubt that it's a quality show (and that it's miles ahead of Iron Fist), but it had its chance to grab me and didn't. I shouldn't have to give it three hours of my life for it to "get good."

Well to be fair Fantastic Beasts and Where to find them was seen as being a fairly above average movie at best. I do agree that "good" movies like this or the new Petes Dragon are largely forgettable.

I'd argue that your food analogy is off a bit though because your comparing terrible dialogue and bad cinematography to cayenne pepper and lemon zest. Which can't really be peppered liberally throughout most projects and still be successful critically.

And while I understand there's only so much time to devote to a new show especially one that your apprehensive to watch, you did just binge watch Iron Fist a largely bland and forgettable entry in Netflix stable of shows.

I'm just surprised more people on here aren't a bit more willing to give a show that's so incredibly unique and fun a shot

• Like 1

Ofcoursemyhorse, on 23 March 2017 - 01:24 PM, said:

Well to be fair Fantastic Beasts and Where to find them was seen as being a fairly above average movie at best. I do agree that "good" movies like this or the new Petes Dragon are largely forgettable.

That's what I'm saying.

I'd argue that your food analogy is off a bit though because your comparing terrible dialogue and bad cinematography to cayenne pepper and lemon zest. Which can't really be peppered liberally throughout most projects and still be successful critically.

That's not exactly what I'm saying. Lemon zest and Cayenne Pepper could just as easily be great dialog and amazing cinematography. My point is, to rise above mediocrity, one must be willing to experiment with the formula. Sometimes people take risks and something great comes out of it, sometimes...not so much.

And, yes, I agree my definition is incomplete, but it's just what I hammered out in a couple of minutes this morning. I'm not pretending to have the answers. I am just trying to define, for myself as much as you, what my feelings are on the matter. I'm more than willing to allow my opinions to evolve as I work them out.

Ofcoursemyhorse, on 23 March 2017 - 01:24 PM, said:

And while I understand there's only so much time to devote to a new show especially one that your apprehensive to watch, you did just binge watch Iron Fist a largely bland and forgettable entry in Netflix stable of shows.

What can I say? We all have our kinks. How I choose to spend my disposable time is how I spend it. I barely watch television as it is. What Iron Fist had going, for me, was a live action version of one of my favorite characters. Just based on that makes it worth it to me, but it was also made by a studio I trust, by a company I like, a Network I enjoy, and is wrapped in a mythos that I'm interested in keeping up with. There was also a certain degree of hype (good and bad) surrounding it. It also bares mentioning, it wasn't just bland, it was terrible. Which, as you might guess, I'm kind of into.

It has also led to a very fun conversation (for me anyway) with other likeminded people.

Comparatively, I can't stand what Fox has done with the X-Men, could give a shit about Legion as a character, and aside from you (and I guess Taylor) I haven't heard too much hype about it. As I've said before, I did try it and it didn't stick. Again, I'm sure (quality-wise) it's miles ahead of IF, but just because something is "good" or "better" doesn't mean I have to like it.

But that's me, man. I may be a lost cause. I hope it continues to do well. I have nothing against it. :)

• Like 3

(and I guess Taylor)

I legit can't remember when I spoke about it lol.

But yeah I'm all aboard the Legion train. The difference is that it did hook me immediately because of the style & cinematography (shocker) but the story was lacking for me for a chunk of episodes. After that it finally picked back up and I was on board again. So I don't doubt that it couldn't keep audiences because of that. Honestly, it's difficult to even recommend a show to someone and say, "okay the 2nd & 3rd episode are meh but after that it gets better I promise."

I wasn't even planning on watching it at all because I have the same feelings about the X-Men franchise as Cameron, but I knew it was the same people involved in Fargo, and both Dan Stevens and Aubrey Plaza pick interesting projects so I was willing to give it a try. Thus here we are lol.

(Also SUPER on board the Riverdale train which is something I genuinely never thought I would say but I fucking love that show).

• Like 2

I wasn't even planning on watching it at all because I have the same feelings about the X-Men franchise as Cameron, but I knew it was the same people involved in Fargo, and both Dan Stevens and Aubrey Plaza pick interesting projects so I was willing to give it a try. Thus here we are lol.

Fargo, you say? Sold.

• Like 3

Fargo, you say? Sold.

I had exactly the same reaction as you, tom. OMG season 2 of Fargo.

• Like 4

I had exactly the same reaction as you, tom. OMG season 2 of Fargo.

True Detective S2 wishes it was Fargo S2.

• Like 4

I'm so fuckin' ready for S3!

Never. Fucking. Seen it.

bring_it_on_matrix.gif

• Like 2

Never. Fucking. Seen it.

bring_it_on_matrix.gif

I didn't watch S1 if that makes you feel better? But S2 was so solid and I'm mad Kirsten Dunst didn't get all of the awards cause she was the best I've seen her maybe ever.

• Like 3

I didn't watch S1 if that makes you feel better?

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Never. Fucking. Seen it.

bring_it_on_matrix.gif

ffb3ea216c0d346f38d7e80e40da8d09.gif

And Taylor: you missed so much nuance in S2 without S1! You should have a look if you get a chance. The lead actress is amazing.

Seriously, I've never anticipated TV weekly the way I did with 'Fargo'. Good lord, the character work, particularly in S2!

• Like 4

And Taylor: you missed so much nuance in S2 without S1! You should have a look if you get a chance. The lead actress is amazing.

Seriously, I've never anticipated TV weekly the way I did with 'Fargo'. Good lord, the character work, particularly in S2!

S1 was better than S2, imo. Malvo was terrifying, Lester was maddening, and Molly - omg, the best.

• Like 3

S1 was better than S2, imo. Malvo was terrifying, Lester was maddening, and Molly - omg, the best.

Agreed about Malvo and Lester and Molly, but Jean Smart and her family? Holy shitballs. And my two magic words.

Nick. Offerman.

• Like 4

Agreed about Malvo and Lester and Molly, but Jean Smart and her family? Holy shitballs. And my two magic words.

Nick. Offerman.

I have no issues with the characters in S2.

Aliens, though.

• Like 3

I have no issues with the characters in S2.

Aliens, though.

^wow, a spoiler that's actually really a spoiler.

And I loved that.

• Like 4