🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 41 — Teach Me How To Skittle

I also cast my vote for a once a month appearance by Andy Kindler, I thought I'd have to wait a while before hearing him again on WC, so I was delighted to see him on again so soon. I guess some people don't like him, which baffles me, but he can be this show's Harris Wittels! That last section of the bonus chart where he makes fun of Adam Sandler and Robin Williams was a thing of beauty, I could listen to Kindler make fun of bad comedy for hours and hours and never get sick of it.

I guess I'm in the No Andy Kindler boat. I am not trying to be mean and I've seen his standup where his personality works perfectly and he's a funny guy. When he's on the podcast all he'd have to do is somewhat tone it down and stop with the wacky jokes. Close to the end you can tell that Howie wanted to get words in but Kindler wouldn't stop.

I guess I'm in the No Andy Kindler boat. I am not trying to be mean and I've seen his standup where his personality works perfectly and he's a funny guy. When he's on the podcast all he'd have to do is somewhat tone it down and stop with the wacky jokes. Close to the end you can tell that Howie wanted to get words in but Kindler wouldn't stop.

I'm aboard the S.S. Andy Kindler, and strangely enough David Feldman is the captain. Great show, more Kindler.

I'm aboard the S.S. Andy Kindler, and strangely enough David Feldman is the captain. Great show, more Kindler.

I think Andy Kindler is one of, if not the funniest guests to have gone on Who Charted. To me the show is about having fun and not taking anything too seriously, Andy embodies that plus Kulap and Howard seem to be have a great time as well. More Kindler!

I think Andy Kindler is one of, if not the funniest guests to have gone on Who Charted. To me the show is about having fun and not taking anything too seriously, Andy embodies that plus Kulap and Howard seem to be have a great time as well. More Kindler!

Yea Mike I guess you got to the heart of it. When a guest hijacks the show and prevents Howard or Kulap from talking instead of enhancing what they say (like a P.F. Thompkins of Andy Richter) it feels jarring. And Kindler just comes off as a comedian from another era. Its odd that he makes fun of Robin Williams after an hour acting like Robin Williams does.
To Dustin I say that being in the same room probably makes a lot of difference. I imagine hes very animated.

I would also like to add that this is the most civil discussion I've ever had in an internet comments section and everyone should be proud of themselves. Seriously.

Yea Mike I guess you got to the heart of it. When a guest hijacks the show and prevents Howard or Kulap from talking instead of enhancing what they say (like a P.F. Thompkins of Andy Richter) it feels jarring. And Kindler just comes off as a comedian from another era. Its odd that he makes fun of Robin Williams after an hour acting like Robin Williams does.
To Dustin I say that being in the same room probably makes a lot of difference. I imagine hes very animated.

I would also like to add that this is the most civil discussion I've ever had in an internet comments section and everyone should be proud of themselves. Seriously.

Andy! I can't believe you compared Maroon 5 and Train to Coldplay! Those three bands do not go together. I have a special place in my heart for Chris Martin.
-
I also have a special place in my heart for this show. Enjoyable listen, as always. And I don't mind missing out on Andy's dance moves, because hearing Kulap and Howard's reactions still makes it hilarious!

Andy! I can't believe you compared Maroon 5 and Train to Coldplay! Those three bands do not go together. I have a special place in my heart for Chris Martin.
-
I also have a special place in my heart for this show. Enjoyable listen, as always. And I don't mind missing out on Andy's dance moves, because hearing Kulap and Howard's reactions still makes it hilarious!

+1 about the manners of this board! I'm really surprised, it's cool that everybody is really allowed an opinion. In response to Dustin, I do think Kindler is probably a blast to be around in person. Kulap was laughing a ton, but so much of it seemed visual and it was very bombastic you know? I think he plays to the people in the room like a stand up comic, and wants to fill the space and project a lot of energy. It isn't that it's bad.. clearly, lots of fans speaking up! But I can just say that for an episode of Who Charted?, for me, I'd opt for a Suit McGoo or.. jeez, so many great names. Sarah Silverman, Rob Corddry, Zach Galifianakis, Brian Posehn, Richter, Benson, Besser, Tom Lennon.. on and on and on. What a great show! My issue with Kindler is the same one I had with Brody Stevens a while back if that makes any sense. I remember thinking it was just too much, but likewise there was a lot of praise for that episode too. Different strokes! We all have preferences and I'm still coming back every week.

+1 about the manners of this board! I'm really surprised, it's cool that everybody is really allowed an opinion. In response to Dustin, I do think Kindler is probably a blast to be around in person. Kulap was laughing a ton, but so much of it seemed visual and it was very bombastic you know? I think he plays to the people in the room like a stand up comic, and wants to fill the space and project a lot of energy. It isn't that it's bad.. clearly, lots of fans speaking up! But I can just say that for an episode of Who Charted?, for me, I'd opt for a Suit McGoo or.. jeez, so many great names. Sarah Silverman, Rob Corddry, Zach Galifianakis, Brian Posehn, Richter, Benson, Besser, Tom Lennon.. on and on and on. What a great show! My issue with Kindler is the same one I had with Brody Stevens a while back if that makes any sense. I remember thinking it was just too much, but likewise there was a lot of praise for that episode too. Different strokes! We all have preferences and I'm still coming back every week.

Gotta give props to Howard for sticking with the format, even thought you could clearly hear that he wanted to get this one over with. All the randomness that makes Howard great...gone. Andy even mentioned several times the look on Howard's face. But he really didn't have to. You could hear it in his voice.

Someone earlier said that the show works when the guests stay within the confines of the show and that's absolutely true. The comedy comes organically, through the here and now conversations. But Andy was trying way too hard, bringing things in from the outside when he didn't have to. He's naturally a funny guy. I kept saying to myself, "Ok, he got it out of his system" but he just kept it up. Flashes of Brody Stevens, I tell ya...

That being said, the show remains why I look forward to Wednesday every week.

Gotta give props to Howard for sticking with the format, even thought you could clearly hear that he wanted to get this one over with. All the randomness that makes Howard great...gone. Andy even mentioned several times the look on Howard's face. But he really didn't have to. You could hear it in his voice.

Someone earlier said that the show works when the guests stay within the confines of the show and that's absolutely true. The comedy comes organically, through the here and now conversations. But Andy was trying way too hard, bringing things in from the outside when he didn't have to. He's naturally a funny guy. I kept saying to myself, "Ok, he got it out of his system" but he just kept it up. Flashes of Brody Stevens, I tell ya...

That being said, the show remains why I look forward to Wednesday every week.

i agree with Alan...i cant listen to andy k on this podcast...his sensibilities are completely different than kulap and howard

i will give his stand up a shot, but judging by the couple of podcasts ive heard him on...i cant get into them

oh well

i agree with Alan...i cant listen to andy k on this podcast...his sensibilities are completely different than kulap and howard

i will give his stand up a shot, but judging by the couple of podcasts ive heard him on...i cant get into them

oh well

Well I don't want to sound like an unappreciative Who Charted? listener but there were a couple items that ...pestered me on the show.

1. The Kulap intro of "using the charts to get the know the guest" . It sounded so much like the totally laime podcast which, well congratulations for that podcast winning the earwolf challenge?

2. What happened to the attempted syncro yelling of number FIVE through ONE! .. I miss it so.

3. Finally I loved when the guest figured out by the fifth question in the chart goose, or chart roulette etc. that the questions were about him or her, but giving them too much of a straight forward, oh these questions are about you I understand makes it a less uncomfortable situation for the guest but it takes out much of the fun.

I love the show! and you know what? probably ten episodes from now I will probably not mind as much and twenty episodes from now it may be just a distant memory but I found it weird that no one else commented on those few points.

Well I don't want to sound like an unappreciative Who Charted? listener but there were a couple items that ...pestered me on the show.

1. The Kulap intro of "using the charts to get the know the guest" . It sounded so much like the totally laime podcast which, well congratulations for that podcast winning the earwolf challenge?

2. What happened to the attempted syncro yelling of number FIVE through ONE! .. I miss it so.

3. Finally I loved when the guest figured out by the fifth question in the chart goose, or chart roulette etc. that the questions were about him or her, but giving them too much of a straight forward, oh these questions are about you I understand makes it a less uncomfortable situation for the guest but it takes out much of the fun.

I love the show! and you know what? probably ten episodes from now I will probably not mind as much and twenty episodes from now it may be just a distant memory but I found it weird that no one else commented on those few points.

Sign in to follow this