🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Off-Week 7 (Cinco DeNio's Pick)

Hey, guys! Cinco DeNio was on the ball. No waiting this week...

The new movie is...

onesheet.jpg

• Like 5

Ahhh! So many mixed feelings! Nice pick, I think we'll have plenty to talk about...

• Like 4

Oooo... I wonder how many of us will feel the same as Jimmy Pardo

• Like 3

Yep! Here's the story behind it.

A few years ago my niece was staying with me and she LOVES this movie. I took her to see La bohème when the NYC Metropolitan Opera broadcast it into movie theaters. That same night she tried to show me the La Vie Bohème number and I wasn't having it. I was tired, cranky and too much "The original is the best. Everything else is crap!" I could have watched the whole thing the next night but I didn't.

When Musical Mondays came up I saw it as my chance to finally give the movie an honest viewing and make up for the disrespect I gave my niece and the movie. I watched this for the first time last night. When we're done discussing it after next week I'll send my niece the Blu-Ray.

Thanks everyone for giving me the chance to redeem myself!

• Like 8

[media='']

[/media]

HOLY SHIT how had I never seen this before? I mean, I've seen 'Trading Places', but as a huge Blues Brothers fan, I have absolutely no memory of this moment of Frank Oz recreating Jake's release bit. Awesome. Thanks, man.

• Like 4

HOLY SHIT how had I never seen this before? I mean, I've seen 'Trading Places', but as a huge Blues Brothers fan, I have absolutely no memory of this moment of Frank Oz recreating Jake's release bit. Awesome. Thanks, man.

Frank Oz is a true artist. He didn't want to just re-do the Blues Brothers scene beat for beat. The scene from Trading Places is him processing Winthorpe INTO prison. That's the only real difference. :D

• Like 3

Oh man also got so many mixed feelings about this movie! My friends are all obsessed though so they'll be pleased to hear I'm watching it again lol.

• Like 6

Oh wow. I watched this in December last year for the first time. I had some friends that were obsessed with the stage musical in high school, but I really didn't know anything about it. I hope our stage nerds are ready to fill us in on the differences next week because I'm really curious to know why it's so beloved while the movie got a pretty "meh" reception.

• Like 6

Every time this movie comes up (which I've never seen), all I think about this...

• Like 7

My father took me to see Rent on Broadway. It was an awkward ride home, lol.

• Like 5

My father took me to see Rent on Broadway. It was an awkward ride home, lol.

So you were a Rent boy?

• Like 3

Pssst!

BPKvg9ICEAINj91.jpg

;) ;)

My profuse apologies!

(Borrowing from Cameron H.)

giphy.gif

• Like 5

My profuse apologies!

Just bustin' your chops. I think we all assumed Tom was a man at one stage or another. For some reason... ;)

BabyNames-boynames_vw01p2.jpg

• Like 5

Just bustin' your chops. I think we all assumed Tom was a man at one stage or another. For some reason... ;)

I thought maybe she was named after Thomasina Paine, the hero of the revolution in Death Race 2000 but that name is spelled "Th".

• Like 2

Maybe she could change to Tomspanx and get some sweet sponsorship money.

• Like 1

Just bustin' your chops. I think we all assumed Tom was a man at one stage or another. For some reason... ;)/>/>

(What I wrote here was not my place to say. Sorry.)

• Like 1

I assume you're all women until told otherwise.

d240ba13-acb3-4034-8491-a2addd43784b.gif

Don't ruin the Shyamalanian twist I'm going to drop on you guys when this is all over.

• Like 6