🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays-Week 8-Rent

Oh well then that makes more sense. I can get if he was just letting his friends stay for free, but think the movie made it seem like he was letting everyone stay for free.

But who was paying for their electricity, water/utilities? I'm sure they weren't.. I mean Mark couldn't even pay for tea at that Cafe.

It seems like they were taking advantage of Benny.

Idk guys, I side with Benny / probably am a Benny.

Oh I know, Benny is the hero of the musical (he pays for Angel's funeral, he offers to pay for Mimi's rehab).

So, in the prewar buildings that made up the apartments in the East Village in the late 80s, early 90s, it's impossible to know how much each apartment's utility usage is (one meter for each building type deal). There's usually one boiler for the building to provide heat as well. The landlord usually pays for the utilities, which is then reflected in the monthly rent.

• Like 7

I think it helps when you see him as Young Mark. Young Mark is just a couple years out of high school and trying to forge his own identity apart from his parents. Old Mark is a dickish man-child who should take a decent paying job for once in his life and start assuming some adult responsibilities.

Even if he had been cast younger idk if I still would have sided with him on this. The way he says "and then they call" just sounds horrible! Like the whole message is so sweet and endearing and they're trying to be good parents by supporting him through the breakup, but it isn't played as a smiley eye roll "moooom" kinda situation. I read that as he genuinely hates his parents lol.

• Like 7

Wait my last sentence reminds me of a glaring issue!

What the FUCK is up with Mark and the distaste for his parents???

They seemed like perfectly nice Jewish Jersey people who call their son on Christmas and want to have a good relationship with him and he's acting like they're the worst things in the world. What an asshole!

It's cause Mark is...

200w.gif#16

• Like 8

Oh I know, Benny is the hero of the musical (he pays for Angel's funeral, he offers to pay for Mimi's rehab).

So, in the prewar buildings that made up the apartments in the East Village in the late 80s, early 90s, it's impossible to know how much each apartment's utility usage is (one meter for each building type deal). There's usually one boiler for the building to provide heat as well. The landlord usually pays for the utilities, which is then reflected in the monthly rent.

That explains a lot!

Oh that is true. I totally forgot about that. At least he had that realization moment (which we never see Mark have.)

That's because he doesn't have a Heather to tell him to stop being a fucking man-baby.

• Like 5

I'm feeling a little torn on the whole Cyber Studio now. As a kid I got to be present for a couple meetings this art guild had when they purchased an old abandoned factory, which has since been remodeled into studio, gallery, and class/presentation space. And I think that's pretty damn cool so why would an artist not want it??? But the studios also aren't cheap and there's a waitlist to get in.

So now hearing more of the side that these kids may be too poor to even afford to use the Cyber Studio, which hadn't crossed my mind, and thinking back that the art place I know was purchased in a poorer area... I'm starting to understand why Benny's past buddies may not be so excited about his dream space. Plus displacing a bunch of homeless people is pretty crummy.

• Like 5

It's cause Mark is...

200w.gif#16

If it helps you feel better, just think back on how Mark was the 7th wheel during the La Vie Boheme sequence.

I think I side more with Taylor Anne... even if he was presented as being younger, his parents don't come across as that overbearing. But I guess some kids are like that? Idk I always had a pretty good relationship with mine, so I probably just don't relate.

• Like 5

I'm feeling a little torn on the whole Cyber Studio now. As a kid I got to be present for a couple meetings this art guild had when they purchased an old abandoned factory, which has since been remodeled into studio, gallery, and class/presentation space. And I think that's pretty damn cool so why would an artist not want it??? But the studios also aren't cheap and there's a waitlist to get in.

So now hearing more of the side that these kids may be too poor to even afford to use the Cyber Studio, which hadn't crossed my mind, and thinking back that the art place I know was purchased in a poorer area... I'm starting to understand why Benny's past buddies may not be so excited about his dream space. Plus displacing a bunch of homeless people is pretty crummy.

Yes! All of this!

There's this photo studio space called "Weld" here in Dallas (they just opened up a new space in Nashville) that I would looooove to join! The space is gorgeous and the amount of connections that are made through the people is absolutely priceless! Except they do put a price on it... $400 a month... And the wait list is miles long so even if you did have that kind of monthly money to drop you would have to wait at least a year to even get in. My school loans & rent take so much out that there's no way I could ever participate and it makes me so sad. Then I see as all these fuckers who grew up with money and don't have to worry about silly things like bills get ahead of me in the field because they have the space to work and the connections to get jobs

/end photo industry rant

• Like 5

Benny specified that the rent from the condos on top of the building would keep the cyber studio open, so he wasn't even asking Mark and Roger to pony up the cash to use the cyber studio!

• Like 6

I think I side more with Taylor Anne... even if he was presented as being younger, his parents don't come across as that overbearing. But I guess some kids are like that? Idk I always had a pretty good relationship with mine, so I probably just don't relate.

If it had been more along the lines of, "I know we just talked to you an hour ago but I need to tell you this and this!" then I would understand more.

• Like 5

Yes! All of this!

There's this photo studio space called "Weld" here in Dallas (they just opened up a new space in Nashville) that I would looooove to join! The space is gorgeous and the amount of connections that are made through the people is absolutely priceless! Except they do put a price on it... $400 a month... And the wait list is miles long so even if you did have that kind of monthly money to drop you would have to wait at least a year to even get in. My school loans & rent take so much out that there's no way I could ever participate and it makes me so sad. Then I see as all these fuckers who grew up with money and don't have to worry about silly things like bills get ahead of me in the field because they have the space to work and the connections to get jobs

/end photo industry rant

Nah I hear you. I knew an artist who had studio space at that old factory and she let me use it during off hours to work on paintings when I was in art school and it was soooooooo fucking nice. But I can't even dream of affording something like that. It's not faaaaair

• Like 4

Plus displacing a bunch of homeless people is pretty crummy.

You wouldn't be saying that if they kept sitting their homeless asses on your Range Rover.

• Like 7

You wouldn't be saying that if they kept sitting their homeless asses on your Range Rover.

Well, I mean, you kick them out of their tent city and they got no where else to go, they'll definitely be sitting their asses on your Range Rover.

• Like 5

Jam, I love your signature :)

Thanks. I kept laughing and quoting it for a while after the movie.

• Like 5

Wait my last sentence reminds me of a glaring issue!

What the FUCK is up with Mark and the distaste for his parents???

They seemed like perfectly nice Jewish Jersey people who call their son on Christmas and want to have a good relationship with him and he's acting like they're the worst things in the world. What an asshole!

You should really watch the stage version! There are lots more of these sweet voicemails from the parents (not just Mark's). Bonus, Mark doesn't complain about them.

ETA: Oops, I forget Mark toasts to "hating dear old mom and dad" in La Vie Boheme.

• Like 6

One thing that did kind of bother me about Rent was the Musicaliness behind the premise, "If you get her to stop her stupid, five minute, slam poetry, fever dream--that no one even cares enough about to cover on the News--you can live rent free in this million dollar loft FOREVER!"

jlaw-nod.gif

• Like 6

One thing that did kind of bother me about Rent was the Musicaliness behind the premise, "If you get her to stop her stupid, five minute, slam poetry, fever dream--that no one even cares about enough to cover on the News--you can live rent free in this million dollar loft FOREVER!"

jlaw-nod.gif

Yeah why couldn't they get her to protest (& MOO) about something else? It's a pretty simple solution to their problem.

Again, Benny's not that bad you guys.. He offers them a way to still not have to pay rent. And seems like he'd let them use the cyber studio without charging.

He's trying to compromise, but they're being stubborn.

it seems like the stage version they all don't come off as bad, and explains some aspects more (fine I'll watch it this week :P).... but I'm just saying they all kind of annoyed me in the movie.

PS--I'm still glad I watched it, I've been meaning to for a long time.

• Like 5

Yeah why couldn't they get her to protest (& MOO) about something else? It's a pretty simple solution to their problem.

Again, Benny's not that bad you guys.. He offers them a way to still not have to pay rent. And seems like he'd let them use use the cyber studio without charging.

He's trying to compromise, but they're being stubborn.

it seems like the stage version they all don't come off as bad, and explains some aspects more (fine I'll watch it this week :P).... but I'm just saying they all kind of annoyed me in the movie.

They all come off better in the stage version--Benny even more so.

• Like 4

A few of you have mentioned disliking Mimi. Why is that? Is it an issue with the character or Rosario Dawson herself?

Rosario's born and raised in the LES and the little bit I read about her early life actually reminds me of Mimi, so I was excited about seeing homegirl in Rent. Also, when I first saw Rent, as an impressionable yoot, I thought Mimi was badass and totally loved her character, drug abuse notwithstanding. But Rosario's Mimi seemed even more helpless and naive than Daphne Rubin-Vega's Mimi. And there's the difference in voice. Rosario's a fine singer, I think, but I prefer the raw/edginess of Daphne's voice. And ITSV, Mimi wears these awesome turqoise pleather pants. I wish they had kept them for the movie!

out-tonight.gif

• Like 6

I didn't take any issue with Mimi. I more took issue with Roger jumping all over the place. Being all like: I'll light your candle. Get out of my house! I'm sorry let's go out. (Doesn't speak to Mimi during the party.) Oh I have baggage but I love you. How dare you date Benny before you even met me!

Like do you like her not?? You're being kind of a major dick.

I hope he's not quite this obnoxious in the stage version.

• Like 7

No I loved Rosario and I forgot that I actually do like "Out Tonight," but I think I don't care for Mimi because of her infatuation with Roger. Like the lusting after the cute guy upstairs thing I can understand but... Roger??? And then after that it just seems like her entire story is tied to him and her addiction and she just seems to fall flat.

• Like 7

No I like Rosario Dawson and always have since I first saw Josie & The Pussycats, haha

I didn't take any issue with Mimi. I more took issue with Roger jumping all over the place. Being all like: I'll light your candle. Get out of my house! I'm sorry let's go out. (Doesn't speak to Mimi during the party.) Oh I have baggage but I love you. How dare you date Benny before you even met me!

Like do you like her not?? You're being kind of a major dick.

I hope he's not quite this obnoxious in the stage version.

Yeah, he was a dick--lol. I think it was mainly Roger and their relationship that I did not like. Did not really have too much an issue with Mimi or Rosario's portrayal of her.

Edited: yeah what Taylor said too^

• Like 6

ITSV

Are we making this a thing? I'm 100% on board :)

I didn't have a big problem with Dawson, other than that she's clearly older than her character (but that's a problem with the whole cast). As far as the character Mimi goes, I like her song "Out Tonight," but overall, I think she's just a lackluster character that's brought even further down by the stuff with Roger.

As far as costuming goes, the film REALLY drops the ball. None of the people in the movie really look like poor artists. They look like hipsters that are trying to look that way. The costuming ITSV is much better, and everyone comes off looking more authentic for it. Roger is a great example. His costumes are kind of more elaborate, and it just made me wonder where he got the money for that leather jacket.

THE BEST costuming, though? That goes to Angel's "Pussy Galore" jacket:

angel__pussy_galor__jacket_by_kawaiibakeneko-d60365a.jpg

She's straight up got shower rings on that bitch.

• Like 7

Here's hoping that Angel's angel shows up in Mimi's dream later that week and shows her she can be happy without other people's baggage.

• Like 6

Are we making this a thing? I'm 100% on board :)

I didn't have a big problem with Dawson, other than that she's clearly older than her character (but that's a problem with the whole cast). As far as the character Mimi goes, I like her song "Out Tonight," but overall, I think she's just a lackluster character that's brought even further down by the stuff with Roger.

As far as costuming goes, the film REALLY drops the ball. None of the people in the movie really look like poor artists. They look like hipsters that are trying to look that way. The costuming ITSV is much better, and everyone comes off looking more authentic for it. Roger is a great example. His costumes are kind of more elaborate, and it just made me wonder where he got the money for that leather jacket.

THE BEST costuming, though? That goes to Angel's "Pussy Galore" jacket:

angel__pussy_galor__jacket_by_kawaiibakeneko-d60365a.jpg

She's straight up got shower rings on that bitch.

I guess Del came through town and needed some money.

Aw6rgUcSKrZx.jpg

• Like 6