🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Kevin Bartelt

Episode 284 - Amherst Fighting Whittier Johnny Poets

Andy Daly and Will Hines join Matt Besser this week for scenes about knock-off telemarketers, defeating an improv team with clever suggestions, and the “realest” Goofy at Disneyland. Later, we get an update on the Amherst mascot nominations, and a former Subway employee takes Matt to task during Case Closed. This episode is sponsored by Squarespace (www.squarespace.com code: IMPROV).

284 - Will Hines, Andy Daly

(1:15 - 6:56) Intro Story - Getting calls from numbers you don’t recognize - Will takes calls from relentless solicitors

(7:30 - 15:41) Twitter Suggestion - Poaching - A chef distracts from the illegality of his food by describing the preparation techniques

(15:45 - 24:11) Question from Listener - “What’s the hardest word you ever had to do a scene to?” - The audience tries to defeat an improv team with the suggestion “suggestion”

(24:17 - 36:01) Let’s Talk Some More About That - Being afraid to laugh at something because it could be offensive - A southern grandpa is offended when people are insensitive to his culture

(38:14 - 45:45) Crap on Youtube - “Tinkerbell in Tears After Disneyland Spat” - Meeting the “realest” Goofy at the park

(46:44 - 1:03:04) What the Fuck Is Going On? - Amherst mascot removal - Sports fans get more excited about the team name than the team

(1:03:13 - 1:29:23) Case Closed - Guy wants to fight Besser over subway video - Taking the “no shirt, no shoes” sign too literally

Can we comment on Case Closed? When I was in retail, even if there was a typo or something advertising a certain price we had to give that customer the advertised price. Is food service so different? I mean, the MOD can always change the price on the register.

• Like 1

Can we comment on Case Closed? When I was in retail, even if there was a typo or something advertising a certain price we had to give that customer the advertised price. Is food service so different? I mean, the MOD can always change the price on the register.

Hahahaahah that made me so mad! I swear, Kevin is the cashier I get every goddamn time I go to a fastfood restaurant

• Like 1

I could listen to Daly and Hines dissect sports team names for hours. "Oh, I didn't know there was a drawing."

When it comes to service industry workers making minimum wage, I kind of feel like their responsibility in dealing with any problem begins and ends with telling their manager.

Kevin Smith just sounds like a lazy piece of shit. When I worked in retail we were always obligated to adhere to the posted price. Even if we were the ones that made a mistake and forgot to update a price we had to adhere to the posted price. I've also never encountered a cash register that didn't allow for price overrides. It is literally illegal to advertise false prices.

To argue with the customer instead of acknowledging the mistake and fixing it is ridiculous. Kevin Smith you are a straight up mope.

Kevin Smith just sounds like a lazy piece of shit. When I worked in retail we were always obligated to adhere to the posted price. Even if we were the ones that made a mistake and forgot to update a price we had to adhere to the posted price. I've also never encountered a cash register that didn't allow for price overrides. It is literally illegal to advertise false prices.

To argue with the customer instead of acknowledging the mistake and fixing it is ridiculous. Kevin Smith you are a straight up mope.

I've never worked at a retail/food service place where I was personally able to do a price override. They were both very automated, and pretty much every privilege was held solely by the manager. Were I in this situation, however, I would alert my manager and have him deal with it, most likely by admitting wrong and correcting the problem, but if necessary deal with being berated.

I think there are a few things to keep in mind here. One, and it felt absurd hearing the guys talk about it as if they would take on management in correcting the erroneous price, I think we need to have some perspective. It's not as if this was a fraudulent company draining him for years, or a price being significantly more than advertised. It was 50 cents more. For a pack of 12 cookies. From SUBWAY. I'm not saying it's good, but I'm also saying it's not that big of a deal. I also want to note that when I worked in food service, people would regularly get mad at the posted price because they never even bothered to look before they ordered. So it was automatically my fault things were overpriced. Alright. Also worth noting none of those people were ever under the age of 40, which points to generational perspectives.

I'm rambling. It's late. Ultimately my point is this: is it wrong that the posted price was more than advertised? Yes. Is it wrong that they didn't seem to take the man's gripes seriously? Yes. But also we're ultimately watching an old man yell at some kid getting paid minimum wage (that, based on what Kevin was saying, was basically just trying to keep his job) over a 50 cent discrepancy. That's absurd.

• Like 4

I worked at a subway for 2 years, granted 9 years ago. Even then, the manager could adjust prices and such in the register. What kind of franchisee would risk getting screwed by false advertising? Its absolutely a simple change. Also, Sub prices absolutely do vary by location and franchise depending on a number of factors. Them stonewalling this guy is saying they're knowingly being complicit in shady shit which to me makes them almost as bad as the operator who would try to exploit this.

They give him no empathy for a completely reasonable claim and its absolutely something that could be remedied. Terrible customer service and the reasoning behind adhering to it the guy on cased closed used is completely twisted. That said, this was one of the most civil and mild case closes! It had the craziest warning but was pretty relaxed and funny throughout in comparison to some others.

Were I in this situation, however, I would alert my manager and have him deal with it

"But that would get you fired!!1!1!1" -Kevin Smith

• Like 1

"But that would get you fired!!1!1!1" -Kevin Smith

Yeah, I dunno, dude. I may be trusting what he said too much. He does make Subway out to be a truly bizarre company to work for, in that regard. But I also wouldn't put it past some corporate whores to put their employees in that kind of powerless position at the same time. I dunno. Everyone sucks.

Cutting the man with boobs sketch from Review was a good call. The future will not look kindly on shows (like, say, Kroll Show) that are relatively progressive now, but actually spend a lot of time dwelling on how hilarious it is for women to be masculine or men to show feminine traits.

Im not trying to open a sidebar convo hating on Nick Kroll, Andy Daly, anyone. Im just saying, as a gay man who is a bit more clued into trans rights issues than apparently the average straight man is, that yes, it might be better to just avoid the topic if you're really that clued out. In the future it will all seem a little bit like how your liberal grammy and grampy used to feel about "coloured folk". Not the worst, but really not the best either.