🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 159 - Sleepwalkers

And after looking up to confirm how cameras work, I figure she'd at least be able to have seen him in that "form" thru the viewfinder on her camera.

To me that mirror reveal shot was the apex of how much they didn't care about building a consistent world in this movie. Charles moves about all over the place. He never passes a mirror in sight of anyone? Tanya rides with him in his car with a rearview mirror. She never happened to glance into it and see him?

I am sure you can come up with some explanation like if a sleepwalker isn't really concentrating on their illusion then a mirror will reveal them but at this point I think the HDTGM crowd has thought much more about the backstory than the filmmakers.

• Like 4

and it took me way too long to realize alice krige was the borg queen

Ah, I could tell right away. Something about the voice.

Ah, I could tell right away. Something about the voice.

I never followed Star Trek, but I was surprised to make this connection:

alice-krige-in-the-oas-season-1_g9jk.640.jpg

• Like 1

June not being able to accept the fact that they were mother and son made me think of Bernard not being able to see the door in Westworld.

I was thinking about this last night. I think the Sleepwalkers being mother and son is clearly a point of faith and we shouldn't mock June for her beliefs.

Like when I was in Catholic school I very clearly remember a religion teacher getting mad at us because we believed those cartoons where a person gets wings and a halo after they die. Because she said angels were never human. That angels and humans are not the same species. Angels were all created by god. And if demons are just fallen angels (and I confess here I may be confusing angels and demons for elves and orcs from Lord of the Rings but it's all a religion, right?) then they wouldn't have familial relationships as June is asserting. They would be just created or not created.

It's a matter of faith and I respect June's right to freedom of religion, guys.

• Like 9

While I think it's wonderful that Tanya seems to really like her job (If you enjoy what you do you never a work in your life and all that), she really is doing a piss poor job of vacuuming the floor. Just look at all the popcorn and crap she's missing!

And, on top of that, she's just giving away free popcorn and Mr. Pibb to cute customers?!? I'm sorry, I don't know what kind of two-bit operation she think she's working for, but if she were my employee, she would be out on cat invested streets of Travis, Indiana in a fucking heartbeat.

• Like 8

I was thinking about this last night. I think the Sleepwalkers being mother and son is clearly a point of faith and we shouldn't mock June for her beliefs.

Like when I was in Catholic school I very clearly remember a religion teacher getting mad at us because we believed those cartoons where a person gets wings and a halo after they die. Because she said angels were never human. That angels and humans are not the same species. Angels were all created by god. And if demons are just fallen angels (and I confess here I may be confusing angels and demons for elves and orcs from Lord of the Rings but it's all a religion, right?) then they wouldn't have familial relationships as June is asserting. They would be just created or not created.

It's a matter of faith and I respect June's right to freedom of religion, guys.

Buuuuuuut, considering the iconography during the opening credits seems to suggest Bast is somehow involved (a feline, Egyptian goddess that was a member of a pantheon known to both reproduce sexually and engage in incest), I think we're back to mom/son fucking. Sorry, about that...

f48a385a886f672724930f4cfc91a22a.jpg

• Like 7

Buuuuuuut, considering the iconography during the opening credits seems to suggest the Bast, a feline, Egyptian goddess that was a member of a pantheon who both reproduced sexually and also frequently engaged incest, I think we're back to mom/son fucking. Sorry, about that...

The Egyptian gods are fake. My orc/elf analogy is real. :P

Guys, Cameron H. is infringing on my first amendment rights.

• Like 7

Guys, Cameron H. is infringing on my first amendment rights.

tumblr_mdrpkhSYGJ1qbrdf3o1_500.gif

• Like 6

Admittedly I didn't watch this movie, but why are they called "Sleepwalkers" (other than that is the name of the film and the name the son gave)? Obviously they walk and are bipedal... so that checks out. But do they do anything with sleep?

I think it should be called Catwalkers.

• Like 3

Here's a little 50's music trivia. The song that is playing when the mother and son are dancing is called Sleepwalk. I wonder if Stephen King was listening to that song and imagined an incestious couple slow dancing to it but they are really not human...what to call them...oh, wait Sleepwalkers! And I wonder if the mom made the girl dance with her dead son in hopes that she could sleepwalk him back to life??

• Like 9

Admittedly I didn't watch this movie, but why are they called "Sleepwalkers" (other than that is the name of the film and the name the son gave)? Obviously they walk and are bipedal... so that checks out. But do they do anything with sleep?

By Galadriel's ears, your Elvish runes must be on fire because I was about to ask that same question!

I did a (very) cursory search and I couldn't find anything about Sleepwalkers being "real" mythological creatures. What that tells me is that Stephen King must have just made them up for this story. So the fact that they have nothing to do with somnambulism makes absolutely no sense!

• Like 6

I have to assume that this is an extension of the final story from Cat's Eye, but evolving the villain from a small troll to the Sleepwalkers. King has said that he continues to fiddle with his stories and expand upon them so it would make sense to a drug addled King. The only other connection I found was they seem to have to close their eyes to focus their powers like camouflage, but even that's a stretch.

• Like 5

Here's a little 50's music trivia. The song that is playing when the mother and son are dancing is called Sleepwalk. I wonder if Stephen King was listening to that song and imagined an incestious couple slow dancing to it but they are really not human...what to call them...oh, wait Sleepwalkers! And I wonder if the mom made the girl dance with her dead son in hopes that she could sleepwalk him back to life??

See, that's funny, because here's what my first theory was regarding the mother-son relationship. I thought that maybe she was like a traditional vampire and "turned" Charles back in the late 50's-early 60's. This would explain some of his "golly, gee" mannerisms and his affinity for that particular song. I figured that the term "Sleepwalker" was maybe a term he coined in his short story to describe what they were--most likely borrowed from his favorite song. I'm sure June would like this theory as it could be used to support her "they're only joking" theory regarding their relationship, except, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, there's no evidence that they can make or turn a regular human into a Sleepwalker. The other problem with this theory is that the definition at the top of the movie purports that Sleepwalkers are an ancient monster of some kind.

So, once again, all the evidence seems to point to straight up incest.

• Like 6

Maybe they're called sleepwalkers because they can shapeshift and 'dim' as if they're in a dream during sleep...while they're walking around. It's a stretch, I know.

Guys, the only logical explanation is that a childless Sleepwalker couple adopted an orphaned Sleepwalker kitten (Charles). When the husband dies, the mom had no other choice but to turn to her adopted son, because at least they're not blood-related.

• Like 3

... the mom had no other choice but to turn to her adopted son, because at least they're not blood-related.

Yup, that makes it better. Just ask Woody Allen...

Yup, that makes it better. Just ask Woody Allen...

I'm grasping at loopholes. I saw Woody Allen and Soon Yi once. She was literally helping him cross the street.

• Like 4

I'm grasping at loopholes. I saw Woody Allen and Soon Yi once. She was literally helping him cross the street.

Maybe he'd just been scratched by a cat...

• Like 3

I have to assume that this is an extension of the final story from Cat's Eye, but evolving the villain from a small troll to the Sleepwalkers. King has said that he continues to fiddle with his stories and expand upon them so it would make sense to a drug addled King. The only other connection I found was they seem to have to close their eyes to focus their powers like camouflage, but even that's a stretch.

Yeah when I was watching it kind of reminded me of Cat's Eye too, not just because of cats, but because in Cat's Eye the troll is stealing the breath from the little girl as she sleeps. Which is how Sleepwalkers steal the life force out of virgins by sucking it out of their mouths.

• Like 2

Or does the son call the Sleepwalkers because that is "their song"? (I mean they say they don't know of any others of their kind, right? So this could be just a thing they made up.) So we're supposed to believe that for CENTURIES they had no name and then they heard thing song in the 50s and were like, "I got it!"

• Like 3

If this movie has taught me anything it's that record singles are stupid. Granted, I guess the Sleepwalkers can use their sometimes-we-got-it-sometimes-we-don't telekinesis, but the very idea of listening to a single song and then either having to start it over again, flip the record, or put on another (single song) record sounds exhausting.

Old technology is dumb.

• Like 3

I don't get their shape-shifting abilities...like can they shape-shift into anything they want? Someone pointed out that scene where he first sees Clovis and is "scared" it looks like his face turns into a little boy for a split-second. So can they shape-shift into anything? Cause we generally only see them turn into the were-cat looking demons.

And then Charles could change and disguise his car. Does that mean they can change anything into something else---or is it just limited to cars? And if it's just cars--why? It's a strangely specific power to have.

• Like 6

I don't get their shape-shifting abilities...like can they shape-shift into anything they want? someone pointed out that scene where he first sees Clovis and is "scared" it looks like his face turns into a little boy. So can they shape-shift into anything? Cause we generally only see them turn into the were-cat looking demons.

And then Charles could change and disguise his car. Does that mean they can change anything into something else---or is it just limited to cars? And if it's just cars--why? It's a strange power to have.

And how come when they "dim" no one either trips over them or crashes into their car?

Guys, I'm starting to think that not a lot of thought went into this movie...

original.gif?1477428756

• Like 7

I know it's not about the movie, but Beasts of Burden is a great comic series. The other series that was sort of mentioned in the episode is probably Rover Red Charlie from Avatar. Not written by Kirkman though, it was written by Garth Ennis

• Like 1

Buuuuuuut, considering the iconography during the opening credits seems to suggest Bast is somehow involved (a feline, Egyptian goddess that was a member of a pantheon known to both reproduce sexually and engage in incest), I think we're back to mom/son fucking. Sorry, about that...

f48a385a886f672724930f4cfc91a22a.jpg

i was reminded of catwoman when that stuff came up .. it was one of those "oh .. here we go again" moments

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this