🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 160 - The Lake House: LIVE!

I loved it as well, maybe you are only mad because Fister spoiled it in the Furious 7 thread ;)

Sadly, there were no alien hordes, though.

Everyone's talking about if 9's gonna be in space, and I'm personally just holding out for a time travel movie to shake things up (which I'm sure has nothing to do with me watching The Lake House on the same day I watched F8).

• Like 2

Everyone's talking about if 9's gonna be in space, and I'm personally just holding out for a time travel movie to shake things up

EXT. TROPICAL JUNGLE - NIGHT

The camera pans across a lush mountainous landscape, dotted with palm trees and lit only by a full moon. Without warning, a cataclysmic fireball erupts in the distance, shaking the trees and sending what appear to be giant birds scattering from their nests.

The sound of the explosion fades into the roar of an overpowered engine as the camera swings around to a sports car tearing its way down a dirt path through the jungle. It screeches to a halt and DOMINIC "DOM" TORRETO throws open the passenger door.

DOM

Get in!

Title card: THIS SUMMER

The tires on Dom's car spin momentarily before finding traction and the car peels off. Half a beat later, a pair of enormous scaly legs crash into the frame. The camera pulls out to reveal a Tyrannosaurus Rex, which emits a bellowing roar and then continues its pursuit through the iconic gates of the Jurassic World theme park.

Title card: JURASSIC AND FURIOUS

• Like 5

There are three little things about the ending that still bother me as well. First, Keanu's outfit. Yes the hideousness of his turtle neck has long been discussed but why is he even wearing it? I mean, the scene before in which we see him is the scene in which he was suppose to be hit by a bus and he was wearing his tan jacket, button up shirt and jean assemble. Next he's all turtle necked up at the lake house. He took the time to go back to his place to change? Instead of rushing to the lake house to finally be with his "true love" or even rushing there to let her know he survived so she's not just crying in a heap, he decides "You know what, I better look nice for her." goes to his apartment, tries on few outfits, brushes his teeth, and then drives out to the lake house.

Second, the movie does a few things to try to throw us off the time travel scent early on. From the characters driving old and therefore timeless cars, to changes in weather to show a passage of time, they want to preserve that mystery until it's carelessly fumbled out through horrible dialogue. By the end of the movie we know the terrible secret that is time travel and Keanu being Meet Joe Black-ed. So wouldn't it stand to reason that Sandra Bullock and her mother should be having the same conversation and doing the same things that they had done at the start of the movie when Keanu was hit by the bus?

Thirdly, it was fucking stupid and fuck this movie.

• Like 3

There are three little things about the ending that still bother me as well. First, Keanu's outfit. Yes the hideousness of his turtle neck has long been discussed but why is he even wearing it? I mean, the scene before in which we see him is the scene in which he was suppose to be hit by a bus and he was wearing his tan jacket, button up shirt and jean assemble. Next he's all turtle necked up at the lake house. He took the time to go back to his place to change? Instead of rushing to the lake house to finally be with his "true love" or even rushing there to let her know he survived so she's not just crying in a heap, he decides "You know what, I better look nice for her." goes to his apartment, tries on few outfits, brushes his teeth, and then drives out to the lake house.

Second, the movie does a few things to try to throw us off the time travel scent early on. From the characters driving old and therefore timeless cars, to changes in weather to show a passage of time, they want to preserve that mystery until it's carelessly fumbled out through horrible dialogue. By the end of the movie we know the terrible secret that is time travel and Keanu being Meet Joe Black-ed. So wouldn't it stand to reason that Sandra Bullock and her mother should be having the same conversation and doing the same things that they had done at the start of the movie when Keanu was hit by the bus?

Thirdly, it was fucking stupid and fuck this movie.

Yeah, but the scene where Sandy and her mom are talking is two years BEFORE the final scene with Sandy. Basically, they had their letter thing, which started in Sandy B's 2006 and Keanu's 2004. Sandy goes to the lake house after the accident because her boss tells her to get away. That's on the Valentine's Day that starts this whole thing off.

Then, in 2007, Keanu fails to show up at Il Mare. And that's when Sandy tells him about the accident that had happened the previous year. And of course, we know he didn't show up because he was killed over a year earlier in that accident.

On Valentine's Day 2008, Sandy goes to the architectural firm that's owned by Keanu's brother. And the brother says he died exactly two years ago. That's when Sandy rushes off to the lake house to send the letter to Keanu telling him not to look for her. Keanu gets the letter on Valentine's Day 2006, which was when he was supposed to go look for Sandy and get killed (and they show Sandy and her mom having the same global warming discussion at that point). Instead, he stays home and waits a full two years.

So there's two years between the opening scene where he gets hit by the bus and the ending scene where he aggressively attacks Sandy's face. Keanu didn't go straight from Daley Plaza to the lake house, so that's why his clothes were different and why they don't end at the same place.

• Like 4

I know some people don't like it anymore but all I need to say is

"JASON HAD THE GREATEST JACOB'S LADDER SCENARIO OF ALL TIME!"

giphy.gif

• Like 5

Yeah, but the scene where Sandy and her mom are talking is two years BEFORE the final scene with Sandy. Basically, they had their letter thing, which started in Sandy B's 2006 and Keanu's 2004. Sandy goes to the lake house after the accident because her boss tells her to get away. That's on the Valentine's Day that starts this whole thing off.

Then, in 2007, Keanu fails to show up at Il Mare. And that's when Sandy tells him about the accident that had happened the previous year. And of course, we know he didn't show up because he was killed over a year earlier in that accident.

On Valentine's Day 2008, Sandy goes to the architectural firm that's owned by Keanu's brother. And the brother says he died exactly two years ago. That's when Sandy rushes off to the lake house to send the letter to Keanu telling him not to look for her. Keanu gets the letter on Valentine's Day 2006, which was when he was supposed to go look for Sandy and get killed (and they show Sandy and her mom having the same global warming discussion at that point). Instead, he stays home and waits a full two years.

So there's two years between the opening scene where he gets hit by the bus and the ending scene where he aggressively attacks Sandy's face. Keanu didn't go straight from Daley Plaza to the lake house, so that's why his clothes were different and why they don't end at the same place.

You're right! This is what I get for trying to write things at work without my notes. The second and third points are still valid though.

RFDXes97gboYg.gif

Also do you think he wore the turtleneck as an homage to their first meeting at the birthday party?

• Like 2

I know some people don't like it anymore but all I need to say is

"JASON HAD THE GREATEST JACOB'S LADDER SCENARIO OF ALL TIME!"

giphy.gif

I don't have a problem if Jason wants to propose a JLS. Those are his thing and he delivers them well (this one was particularly good). I'm just tired of people trying to make the same joke like they're being super clever. The first couple of times were fine, but I feel like we're in double digits of people saying/writing, "What if maybe X died doing Y and the rest of the movie is a JLS?"

If you can tell that joke well, then I'm all for it, but most people don't bring a creative enough twist to it so it comes off as kind of lazy.

I just want everyone to be the best versions of themselves that they can be. Don't try to be Jason. He's already the Platonic Ideal of what a Zouks can be. You're not going to be a better him, you know? :)

• Like 5

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! This is actually one of the few movies from this show I have tons of past knowledge on. At one point in my life I know was as obsessed with it as Starlee!

I remember when I first saw this movie (in the theaters, full price I'm sure ugh) and I knew right away it was Keanu that was hit by the bus. I know this twist is not hard to see from a mile away, but he wears that jacket in the trailer and several other times in the rest of movie! I asked my sister if she noticed the coat right away and she agreed she knew it was him the whole time. Come on costume department give him a different light spring coat! While we discussed this we accidentally "spoiled" the movie for our mom who was picking us up afterward. :rolleyes:

Has anyone even tried explaining the apartment where Alex left the book for her in? I remember thinking that was the only part that didn't make sense when I first saw it. (oh boy high school) At that point Alex would have no idea where she was living in the future. Unless that was her apartment that wasn't built yet, but then we're cutting it really close with the timeline. If Alex also lived in Kate's apartment while she was at the Lake House and left before she got there, they must have a real Sliding Doors kind of life.

Also Kate never actually breaks up with Morgan in the end. She just runs out on him to warn Alex. Poor Morgan.

Also do you think he wore the turtleneck as an homage to their first meeting at the birthday party?

Yes. Absolutely.

• Like 5

I don't have a problem if Jason wants to propose a JLS. Those are his thing and he delivers them well (this one was particularly good). I'm just tired of people trying to make the same joke like they're being super clever. The first couple of times were fine, but I feel like we're in double digits of people saying/writing, "What if maybe X died doing Y and the rest of the movie is a JLS?"

If you can telll that joke well, then I'm all for it, but most people don't bring a creative enough twist to it so it comes off as kind of lazy.

I just want everyone to be the best versions of themselves that they can be. Don't try to be Jason. He's already the Platonic Ideal of what a Zouks can be. You're not going to be a better him, you know? :)

The way Jason delivers his Jacob's Ladder theories is very much HIS thing. He has a specific tone, as well as natural comedic timing, that even though we KNOW what he's going to say before he says it, it still manages to be funny and we're excited to hear it. I think by this time it's somewhere between a running gag and a catchphrase. It's not easy to pull off so well if you're not Jason.

That said, it would be a lie if I didn't say my roommate and I have tossed that joke into our own movie discussions.

• Like 4

Oh! I'm sorry! I'm so, so sorry, because someone must have mentioned this, but when he chooses not to die that day, it's really fucked up that he doesn't write a letter to Sandy telling her he's okay. I know he doesn't think she's checking the mailbox anymore, but he could have dropped her line sometime over the ensuing two years (just in case) so when she arrived at the Lake House there would at least a letter waiting there for her. Something like: "Hey, I decided not to step in front of the bus. So in the off chance that my tampering in God's domain somehow didn't affect your memory, I just wanted to tell you--I'm cool. See you in a few!"

And...if he didn't die that day, why was he late showing up? That seems like a dick move. And...does he have any memory of the past two years, or did he, like the tree, just sort of magically appear on the Lake House's driveway?

Fuck this movie.

• Like 5

Also Kate never actually breaks up with Morgan in the end. She just runs out on him to warn Alex. Poor Morgan.

It's cool. He finds someone new...;)

gbEbc2C.gif

• Like 6

(You can be James Marsden.)

Duh.

Has anyone even tried explaining the apartment where Alex left the book for her in? I remember thinking that was the only part that didn't make sense when I first saw it. (oh boy high school) At that point Alex would have no idea where she was living in the future. Unless that was her apartment that wasn't built yet, but then we're cutting it really close with the timeline. If Alex also lived in Kate's apartment while she was at the Lake House and left before she got there, they must have a real Sliding Doors kind of life.

It had to have been the apartment that wasn't built yet. Sandy left a forwarding address to that building, right?

• Like 3

If you can telll that joke well, then I'm all for it, but most people don't bring a creative enough twist to it so it comes off as kind of lazy.

The Jacobs' ladder stuff is just a totem for fans of the show. When people bring it up in live episodes, it's just something that Jason improvises from. My main issue with the audience in the live episodes is the inability for so many audience members to speak clearly into the microphone. It's absolutely brutal when someone asks a question that sounds like they have marbles in their mouth. This last live episode seemed to suffer from that problem a little more acutely than most. But who am I to complain, I was still highly entertained for nearly two hours (!)

Generally speaking, the live episodes don't bug me as much as it does others here, save for the fact that I'll never be able to attend one.

• Like 1

OMG!!! The stupid book!!! FUCK THIS MOVIE!!!!

Sandy B clearly tells Keanu:

My dearest Mr. Wylder, are you willing to play a game with me? Two years ago today I was taking the 1:45 train to Madison from the Riverside station and I forgot something there. It was a gift from my father. If you find it could you please put it in the mailbox. It would mean a lot. Yours, Kate.

Okay, so these two characters are falling in love? Both also have father issues. He should get how important this gift from her father is to her. So he comes to the station, gets the book and then does what with it? Does he tell her he has it? Nope. Does he put it in the box like she asked? Nope. Rather he meets her at the party and like Cameron H said brings it up like some weird robot person. Gee, what a perfect time to say instead of "a friend recommended it to me" to something more like "I found it at a train station." Was it Riverside station because I left a copy of that book there by accident. Yes it was here you go. Done! Nope that's far too human and caring. Instead I'm going to use my limited understanding of the story as an allegory for our love and give it back to you at the right moment to remind you of me and what could have been. Total dick move Keanu. How does he give it back to her? Does he leave it at the lake house for her? Nope. Send it through the mail? Nope. He goes into her future apartment and places it under the floor boards. A, this is a brand new building and he's ripping up floor boards? Sandy is not getting that security deposit back. B, the only way she would find it is if it creaked and according to my elaborate timeline she's been living there for a year a half at these point. You think she would have found it by then. Which means the only logical conclusion is that half a year before she moved in Keanu went into the as of yet unrented apartment, place the book under the floor boards in a location that would surely not be covered up by furniture or anything, and at the exact moment two years in the future Sandra would be feeling despondent and step on that spot to cause her to find it. That or she just waited that long to final investigate the source of this creaky floor board. Either case, total dick move.

Also, let's look back at her letter to him. Two years ago today she says. Keanu gets that letter and gets to the station just before 1:45. That means she must have written that letter the night prior, got up first thing in the morning, drove out to the lake house, and put it in the mailbox. Meanwhile Keanu had to get up early enough to see that she sent something, read it, and drive all the way into the city and to riverside in order to help. Not saying it's not possible, just a really lucky timing all around. Also, how is that a game? Sound more like a favor than a game.

• Like 6

The Jacobs' ladder stuff is just a totem for fans of the show. When people bring it up in live episodes, it's just something that Jason improvises from. My main issue with the audience in the live episodes is the inability for so many audience members to speak clearly into the microphone. It's absolutely brutal when someone asks a question that sounds like they have marbles in their mouth. Generally speaking, the live episodes don't bug me as much as it does others here, save for the fact that I'll never be able to attend one.

Just to clarify my position, I'm not bothered by someone bringing up a JLS. It's not something I get angry about. I just think it's lazy. Whenever someone brings it up I'm just kind of like...

gQTgEV0.jpg

Of course I say all of this with full knowledge that there are probably plenty of people who feel the same way about my dumb bullshit :)

• Like 3

Just to clarify my position, I'm not bothered by someone bringing up a JLS. It's not something I get angry about. I just think it's lazy. Whenever someone brings it up I'm just kind of like...

gQTgEV0.jpg

My only complaint with this post is that you failed to use the best instance of "skip to the end":

• Like 2

Also, let's look back at her letter to him. Two years ago today she says. Keanu gets that letter and gets to the station just before 1:45. That means she must have written that letter the night prior, got up first thing in the morning, drove out to the lake house, and put it in the mailbox. Meanwhile Keanu had to get up early enough to see that she sent something, read it, and drive all the way into the city and to riverside in order to help. Not saying it's not possible, just a really lucky timing all around. Also, how is that a game? Sound more like a favor than a game.

Well, it looks like only a 15 minute car ride from the lake house to Riverside station. So maybe Keanu did get to sleep in a little.

• Like 3

Family Guy has actually tackled the question of what would happen if Keanu Reeves put his dick in the mailbox.

2 years later Sandra Bullock opens it up and thinks it's a package from Hickory Farms.

I'm here with a recommendation. If you even slightly enjoyed the concept of the Lake House:

Last night, by coincidence ,I've watched an Anime called "Your Name" that is like the Lake House but done so much better. Instead of having a mailbox, the main characters switch bodies. I guess it's kind of like Freaky Friday too. It's much more than just switching bodies. I don't want to spoil anything. In this movie, God is not a dog, God is a comet... I think. Anyway. I totally recommend "Your Name" if you like the Lake House. It's out on a limited release in the U.S.

https://youtu.be/o4-URMnBOPU

• Like 1

I'm here with a recommendation. If you even slightly enjoyed the concept of the Lake House:

Last night, by coincidence ,I've watched an Anime called "Your Name" that is like the Lake House but done so much better. Instead of having a mailbox, the main characters switch bodies. I guess it's kind of like Freaky Friday too. It's much more than just switching bodies. I don't want to spoil anything. In this movie, God is not a dog, God is a comet... I think. Anyway. I totally recommend "Your Name" if you like the Lake House. It's out on a limited release in the U.S.

mark kermode had this as one of his top 10 last year. said it was a great example of the body swap type movies

• Like 1

That's playing here, and I'm planning on going to see it Saturday. I've heard nothing but HUGE praise for it.

• Like 1

Hey Everyone,

Giving people a heads up, we are launching a new artist driven T-Shirt shop and we are officially announcing it tomorrow but letting you know today. You can get these designs in multiple ways, shirts, posters, stickers, onesies. I'm excited about this and it's 40% off too! Hope you like them and maybe even inspired to design your own.

NEW ARTIST CREATED T-SHIRTS

• Like 9

I can't think of much better than a Kumite tank-top to run the mean streets of Toronto in. Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

• Like 4

I may have never bought a shirt as fast as I just did

What didja get?

• Like 2