๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Off-Week 9 (JammerLea's Pick)

I think so! I was going to blame you, but I never got around to it. :) Hunter has it now, which is miserable since he won't just sleep through it. I've been up since 11:30 last night.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Hunter's an asshole. ;)

• Like 4

ย 

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Hunter's an asshole. ;)

ย 

Tell me about it! And now that he's covered in snot all the time, he's a goopy asshole.

ย 

Here's a recent picture...

ย 

ย 

Slimer.jpeg

ย 

• Like 7

Y'all shoulda known all the making out would lead to trouble

Hey, there were some things that are worth the risk.

ย 

giphy.gif

• Like 7

ย 

Would it break your heart if I told you it's all an act? He's a very normal, rich white private-schoolboy from a wealthy family, who's still married to his high school girlfriend and mostly a fairly quiet homebody...

Oh, I don't find that hard to believe at all (especially given some of his songs like "Rock and Roll Nerd"). Totally still love the dude.

• Like 1

I was just thinking this is actually some pretty good timing, because my birthday is on Friday, so this is like a special treat. What better way to celebrate than by watching a silly movie?

• Like 10

Good pick :)

I somehow have never seen this.. But interested to watch and obviously talk it out with you guys.

• Like 6

^^This and the episode of Running Wild with Bear Grylls he was on...

• Like 3

I have to say I have not seen this movie but I am curious about it. The title alone confused me. Is it a musical set in high school or is it a musical about a high school musical? I guess I'll find out in a few days. Interesting pick Jammer!

ย 

Also, now I'm just awaiting talk of Glee and our own high school musical experiences.

• Like 11

It's sort of both, Cam - a musical set in high school but also a musical about the AUDITION for a high school musical. We never get to see the actual musical, just the machinations that go into preparing for callbacks.

ย 

I just watched this tonight. My kids loved it and danced like maniacs at the last song. My five year old daughter clapped happily and shouted 'yay hooray!' at the end of every song. We MIGHT have a ton to talk about next week, or we might not. I can't decide yet. It's certainly a thing, that's for sure.

ย 

Oh, and Jammer? For picking this, I say...

ย 

ย 

bcb3d0aca618d12d874f79449213943e.gif

ย 

ย 

ย 

I kid, I kid. Hey, it's not Tommy!

ย 

• Like 11

Oh, and Jammer? For picking this, I say...

ย 

ย 

bcb3d0aca618d12d874f79449213943e.gif

ย 

ย 

ย 

I kid, I kid. Hey, it's not Tommy!

ย 

ย 

akkbht.jpg

Just trying to stick to the status quo!

• Like 8

ย 

akkbht.jpg

Just trying to stick to the status quo!

Yeah, I think it may be more fun to talk about ones that have some issues or are leaning more towards "bad".

ย 

but then again everyone in here can have varying opinions so maybe picking more towards "good" OR "bad" won't matter?

ย 

ย 

Also, now I'm just awaiting talk of Glee and our own high school musical experiences.

ย 

I'm not sure if this is what you meant (it's what I thought at first, but now I'm wondering if I interpreted wrong), but I am curious about this any way..

ย 

Since we're doing High School Musical... were any of you guys in theater/band/orchestra/choir/any sort of "arts" classes in high school?

ย 

I have a feeling like a majority of you guys are creative people, so I was curious.. plus with us all liking musicals I wanted to know some of your guys' creative/music "roots"

ย 

ย 

band / marching band kid here

ย 

• Like 6

Since we're doing High School Musical...I am curious, were any of you guys in theater/band/orchestra/choir/any sort of "arts" classes in high school?

ย 

I have a feeling like a majority of you guys are creative people, so I was curious.. plus with us all liking musicals I wanted to know some of your creative/music "roots"

ย 

I was in visual arts in high school, but I was in "Super Choir" in elementary school, which I really enjoyed. I probably would've kept with choir except I didn't like the choir teacher for middle/high school.

• Like 6

It's sort of both, Cam - a musical set in high school but also a musical about the AUDITION for a high school musical. We never get to see the actual musical, just the machinations that go into preparing for callbacks.

Well, that's some misleading-ass bullshit, and I refuse to watch this movie now.

ย 

ย 

ย 

Just kidding. I'm actually almost ashamed by how much I am looking forward to this.

ย 

ย 

ย 

Since we're doing High School Musical...I am curious, were any of you guys in theater/band/orchestra/choir/any sort of "arts" classes in high school?

ย 

I have a feeling like a majority of you guys are creative people, so I was curious.. plus with us all liking musicals I wanted to know some of your guys' creative/music "roots"

I was in band and played trombone for almost 10 years. I wanted to be in drama/theater in middle school, but my parents were like, "That's a stupid waste of time."

• Like 8

ย 

I was in band and played trombone for almost 10 years. I wanted to be in drama/theater in middle school, but my parents were like, "That's a stupid waste of time."

I took lessons/ played a bunch of different instruments in elementary school. But I played flute from 5th grade--most of high school.

Learned/ switched to french horn my junior year in concert band, so I could march Mellophone (marching french horn) my senior year.

ย 

I wish I had switched to a brass instrument earlier in my HS band career, the brass kids were wayyyy more fun than woodwinds (haha) Plus I really liked the french horn

• Like 5

I've been in music for a long time, and I love musicals, but something about this movie musical was flames on the side of my face, and I've never really understood why.

• Like 7

Agh so this is "Bloo" or "_Bloo_" the Earwolf forums hate me. I've weighed in on a few musical threads. Looking forward to finally hopefully jumping in on some discussions (provided earwolf forums don't screw with me when I try to retrieve my password from their "forgot your password" section).

ย 

As to the question about high school arts; I WA the theater geek in my school. 5 years of musicals ( 8th grade-Senior year; Tom Sawyer, Bye Bye Birdie, Oklahoma, The Sound of Music, Brigadoon) plus choir. I did band from 5th until 7th grade (the band teacher asked me to drop out) where I did clarinet. I also played guitar on my own. Then I studied theater in college and am currently trying to make it work as a playwright.

• Like 7

I was definitely a theater brat. I was even on my high school's improv team. Yes we had a competitive improv league for high schools in my home town. I started doing dramatic theater in my later elementary school days and when I got to high school moved over to doing musical theater as well. The three years I did musical theater I was Moonface Martin in Anything Goes, the Lion in Wizard of Oz, and Nicely Nicely in Guys and Dolls. To say I was typecasted would be accurate I think.

• Like 7

I was definitely a theater brat. I was even on my high school's improv team. Yes we had a competitive improv league for high schools in my home town.

ย 

But I thought everything's made up and the points don't matter.

ย 

de21020c1b67fdab6648273413c40aea.jpg

ย 

• Like 6

Good pick :)

I somehow have never seen this.. But interested to watch and obviously talk it out with you guys.

ย 

ani132.gif

I have to say I have not seen this movie but I am curious about it. The title alone confused me. Is it a musical set in high school or is it a musical about a high school musical? I guess I'll find out in a few days. Interesting pick Jammer!

ย 

I have not seen it... And can't wait to see a pre-Sucker Punch pre-Spring Breakers Vanessa Hudgens... This is like her origin story, right? ;)

• Like 6

I have not seen it... And can't wait to see a pre-Sucker Punch pre-Spring Breakers Vanessa Hudgens... This is like her origin story, right? ;)

ย 

I couldn't remember if I've seen any other movies with Vanessa Hudgens and saw that she was Mimi in RENT in 2010. I can't stop watching YT clips of her singing RENT songs even though I'm like:

ย 

b6b9e51e74d3460341739f0e055f7241e89247b5cdd18dd04afaaa8ad602c2b8.jpg

• Like 7

Since we're doing High School Musical... were any of you guys in theater/band/orchestra/choir/any sort of "arts" classes in high school?

I was a choir kid fo sho. Heavily into it as well lol. Did so many competitions and choir camps and while I consider myself a good singer we were such a great & competitive group that I still didn't make it into the top choir (although that whole thing was totally politics based and that choir teacher that chose my junior year for the senior year made her picks and then changed them and then just bolted soooo).

ย 

I think (I hope) I mentioned in the BatB thread that I did that musical my senior year! It was weird that the musical theater kids and the choir kids rarely ever coincided until senior year, or else I probably would have done more of them.

• Like 7

ย 

ย 

ย 

Can't believe I never got around to answering this question! My wife saw this post and said 'it's the question you've been waiting your whole life to answer!'

ย 

It won't surprise anyone when I say i was heavy into theatre at high school - started youth theatre when I was 12 and carried it on all the way through high school, until in my final year I was Captain of Drama (private boys' schools make such things a thing). At high school and just after I performed in a stack of musicals - 'Guys and Dolls' (Nathan Detroit), 'Hello Dolly!' (Barnaby), Fiddler on the Roof (Perchik), The Mikado (Ko-Ko), The Matchgirls (Joe), Sweeney Todd (understudy to Sweeney), South Pacific (Lt. Cable), and Guys and Dolls (for a second time, this time as Benny Southstreet). I played saxophone in the school band all the way through high school too, in the concert and jazz bands. And I played Varsity rugby just to balance it all out!

ย 

Honestly, going to a boys' school, the arts were the only way to meet girls (we'd merge with the girls' schools for productions) so that was a major motivation, but I found I was good at it so enjoyed the process.

ย 

My experience in terms of mixing rugby and theatre, though, was JUST like Troy Bolton's (except without the inspirational moment where the jocks realise they're a pack of assholes)...

ย 

Anyway, I showed them by acting professionally for ten years and getting a theatre PhD and working as a theatre professor, ALL THE WHILE continuing to play rugby. Suck it, compartmentalizers!

• Like 9

Guys. My wife just realised that she has the High School Music sheet music, so after pleas from my children, she is now playing it on the piano and singing High School Musical, which my children are dancing around to unironically.

ย 

Damn you Jammer!

ย 

giphy.gif

ย 

ETA: The gif game in this movie is strong. Even stronger than Across the Universe, I'd suggest...

ย 

tumblr_mq63tdlkmk1rc866uo1_250.gif

• Like 11