🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 160.5 - Minisode 160.5

If Nicole Kidman doesn't get an Emmy nom then there is some backwards bs happening in Hollywood!

she was great too... Eric Northman was such a dick to her! lol

I somehow knew y'all that haven't seen/finished would still check so I'm even keeping my spoiler talk spoiler free lol

same, didn't want to get too into it cause I know you guys can't resist... or at least I know I can't.

• Like 3

We found the person who hasn't listened to the mini-ep yet :P

someone in the Explanation Hope asked how Paul felt about people talking/ heckling in the theater.

I agree with this & what Scheer said... sometimes it is OK if it's genuine and/or actually funny.

Thank you for the info... I'm trying to recall a pleasant heckling moment in the theater... I'll post it when I do, but the worst was a guy at the seat beside me ( who when I arrived was in my seat ) during Deadpool who, much like a parrot, repeated/yelled back every punchline that Deadpool said during the entie running time and then laughed obnoxiously all in my right ear. And to make matters worse, during the extra scene after the credits another dude happilly recognized the Ferris Buller refference but couldn't quite remember the name and the guy besideme rudely yelled: "Shut Up!" when he was talking loudly during the whole thing... :(

• Like 1

At the risk of saying something unpopular, I'm just going to put this out there.

The log line for this podcast is 'Have you ever seen a movie that's so bad that it's amazing?' I can totally understand why 'The Fast and the Furious' franchise got into the rotation years ago, because earlier on it was teetering on the edge of 'bad but amazing' territory. But more recently, the franchise has started to take itself way more seriously, and is all about creating product that would be more properly described as 'great and amazing', with the budgets, casts, and effects bigger than perhaps any other franchise in history. There are a LOT of 'Fast and Furious' fans in this forum, and I think you're all great. I have NO problem with these movies as such, but it gets to the point where this doesn't really fit into the tone of the podcast, aside from the fact that the hosts are fans of the series.

Because, when we ask the simple question: 'Fate of the Furious': How did this get made?

We have a simple answer: it got made because the previous several movies in the series are smash hits that made a billion dollars each.

And while that's great, it's not really the point of this podcast, is it? I thought it was about watching lousy movies and making fun of their inconsistencies (see: 'The Lake House') and not so much about watching popular movies and discussing how great they were. There's plenty of other podcasts out there for that.

Anyway, that's what I think. This should in no way be read as an anti-'Fate of the Furious' post, but I know I have no interest in spending fifteen bucks to see it just to participate in forum. I just don't see how these movies fit in to the mission statement of the podcast anymore. Dissent: go!

• Like 6

At the risk of saying something unpopular, I'm just going to put this out there.

The log line for this podcast is 'Have you ever seen a movie that's so bad that it's amazing?' I can totally understand why 'The Fast and the Furious' franchise got into the rotation years ago, because earlier on it was teetering on the edge of 'bad but amazing' territory. But more recently, the franchise has started to take itself way more seriously, and is all about creating product that would be more properly described as 'great and amazing', with the budgets, casts, and effects bigger than perhaps any other franchise in history. There are a LOT of 'Fast and Furious' fans in this forum, and I think you're all great. I have NO problem with these movies as such, but it gets to the point where this doesn't really fit into the tone of the podcast, aside from the fact that the hosts are fans of the series.

Because, when we ask the simple question: 'Fate of the Furious': How did this get made?

We have a simple answer: it got made because the previous several movies in the series are smash hits that made a billion dollars each.

And while that's great, it's not really the point of this podcast, is it? I thought it was about watching lousy movies and making fun of their inconsistencies (see: 'The Lake House') and not so much about watching popular movies and discussing how great they were. There's plenty of other podcasts out there for that.

Anyway, that's what I think. This should in no way be read as an anti-'Fate of the Furious' post, but I know I have no interest in spending fifteen bucks to see it just to participate in forum. I just don't see how these movies fit in to the mission statement of the podcast anymore. Dissent: go!

I think there are rare exceptions where the hosts revel in the trashiness of these movies. Face/Off and Con Air are great examples. The Sharknado series is another. And these are the others.

The "How did this get made?" question is rhetorical, but generally, the point of the podcast is to talk about trashy movies. I love the F&F movies, but my love for them is rooted in their trashiness. So I do think they fit, and I enjoy hearing the hosts really enjoy a movie every now and then.

I would disagree that they are trying to make "great and amazing" movies. I think they are really trying to make more and more over the top movies, and they are succeeding in that effort.

Everyone comes to the podcast for different reasons, and personally, I'd rather watch this than sit through Runaway or Sleepwalkers again. But this is more my kind of "bad" movie. And others might be more inclined to watch Gene Simmons and His Killer Robots. And I think the hosts know they have a wide variety of fans that enjoy the podcast for different reasons.

(And you shouldn't pay for it to participate in the discussion; you should pay for it because it's a fun as shit movie...or don't. I'm not the boss of you.)

ETA: No, but for real now, I'm going back to work :)

• Like 5

I don't really have a problem with them as far as fitting the theme of the show, but I do feel like they've run their course. I feel the same way I do about Fate and the Furious as I do about them doing another Sharknado movie (i.e. a dead horse that's taken enough of a beating). There are so many awesome (bad) movies out there to be done, that rehashing the same thing for the fourth time just seems kind of boring.

My only big complaint is I wish they would at least wait to do new movies until they are available to rent/buy. I just can't make it to the theaters all that often, like maybe once or twice a year. So when I do get a chance to go, I want to go for something I'm really going to enjoy and not just "isn't it cool that they're driving on ice."

However, I recognize that their Fast & Furious episodes are fan favorites. I'll happily step aside, enjoy the episode, and let others have their macho car fun while I'm over at Musical Mondays talking about Zac Efron's amazing hair.

• Like 5

My only big complaint is I wish they would at least wait to do new movies until they are available to rent/buy.

I meant to mention that, too, because I think Paul said during the xXx episode that they were wanting to do new movies more often because they had a lot of fans asking for it. I don't know how much pressure they got for it, but I do remember there being a post complaining that they weren't doing Furious 7 pretty much every time Paul announced a movie starting in April 2015 until they finally did it in September (confession: I probably made more than one of said posts).

So I think it's a lot of balancing for them. I know not every movie is for me, and I find that I still enjoy episodes like Body Parts even when I skip the movie because I know I won't enjoy it. I think there are generally about 3-4 per year where I'm just like, "I'll pass" (sometimes because the movie doesn't seem like something I'll like, and sometimes because I just get busy and never get around to watching it). And you're definitely right that Musical Monday helps that week go by a bit more easily!

ETA: Maybe I should just give up on the whole work thing.....

• Like 5

My favourite 'talking in a cinema' moment was after Synecdoche, New York, which is totally self-indulgent and unnecessarily complicated but also pretty fun for the most part. But after the final moment, the soundtrack goes silent, and on the screen says 'Written and Directed by Charlie Kaufman', and in that moment of silence, a woman two rows in front of me - she must have been in her seventies - turned to her friend and said, very loudly,

"What the fuck was that all about?"

Perfect.

I had the exact same thing happen after seeing Swiss Army Man.

• Like 4

I would pick Paul too. Paul F Tompkins, that is.

giphy.gif

I can't remember what movie it was where he was a guest, but I got a "Like" from PFT on a comment in the thread for that one, so that makes HIM my favorite guest!

• Like 3

I can't remember what movie it was where he was a guest, but I got a "Like" from PFT on a comment in the thread for that one, so that makes HIM my favorite guest!

He was on the "lost" Smurfs episode. And he's also been on for After Earth, Deep Blue Sea (one of my top 3 all-time favorite episodes, btw), and Lake Placid.

• Like 2

As the Forum Historian, I can tell you it was Deep Blue Sea. You had made a comment about the 8 foot fence. It's the top comment on maybe the 2nd or 3rd page.

Don't ask me how I remember that...

(Also, it's good to hear from you! :) )

ETA: I just double checked myself. It's on the 3rd page, SECOND comment! You had the top two comments on that page though, sooooo...still pretty impressive, no?

• Like 2

As far as "people talking in movies" stories go, I think that managing a theater for so long has made me hyper-sensitive to the things that go on while a movie is playing, but I still end up with some legit bad experiences. One of the most irritating was a couple years back when "Godzilla" was out. I was in the 3D Thursday night preview screening, because I don't have to pay, and they're usually not too busy anyway. This was no exception. However, in a theater that had about 200 seats that were occupied by maybe a dozen people, this guy and his small kid sit about 3 seats over from me. The kid is chattering throughout the trailers, which is fine, because maybe he'll shut up once the movie begins, right? Nope. He's bored out of his mind when there's nothing happening with monsters. I "Sssshhh" a couple times, kid finally shuts up. About 20 minutes in or so, there's a very quiet part of the movie, like Bryan Cranston is in the abandoned city or something, and the fucking DAD speaks up and says "Hey, that's a pretty big bug there, isn't it, buddy?" at normal volume and the kid starts going AGAIN. At this point, I tell the guy that he needs to shut up so that his kid doesn't start going again, I move up a couple rows, and the rest of the show was okay. But yeah, the asshole dad couldn't appreciate that his kid was actually keeping quiet. Usually, with small kids, you go to the regular show because it's cheaper and the kids don't give a shit about 3D anyway.

• Like 5

As the Forum Historian, I can tell you it was Deep Blue Sea. You had made a comment about the 8 foot fence. It's the top comment on maybe the 2nd or 3rd page.

Don't ask me how I remember that...

Also, it's good to hear from you! :)

Thanks! I've been away quite a while! I think I got really busy and then really uninterested in a lot of the movies they were going through, somewhere around "Can't Stop the Music" or so, and then I just got behind. As the historian, wasn't that the movie where there were about ten pages of comments in a row or something that had nothing to do with the movie, but with the guest and gay rights or topics or something?

• Like 2

Thanks! I've been away quite a while! I think I got really busy and then really uninterested in a lot of the movies they were going through, somewhere around "Can't Stop the Music" or so, and then I just got behind. As the historian, wasn't that the movie where there were about ten pages of comments in a row or something that had nothing to do with the movie, but with the guest and gay rights or topics or something?

Followed by ten or so pages about whether or not coconut was good? Yup. That's the one. As the Historian, I like to refer to that era as "The Dark Ages." I hope you'll be around more often though. You've been missed.

• Like 3

As far as "people talking in movies" stories go, I think that managing a theater for so long has made me hyper-sensitive to the things that go on while a movie is playing, but I still end up with some legit bad experiences. One of the most irritating was a couple years back when "Godzilla" was out. I was in the 3D Thursday night preview screening, because I don't have to pay, and they're usually not too busy anyway. This was no exception. However, in a theater that had about 200 seats that were occupied by maybe a dozen people, this guy and his small kid sit about 3 seats over from me. The kid is chattering throughout the trailers, which is fine, because maybe he'll shut up once the movie begins, right? Nope. He's bored out of his mind when there's nothing happening with monsters. I "Sssshhh" a couple times, kid finally shuts up. About 20 minutes in or so, there's a very quiet part of the movie, like Bryan Cranston is in the abandoned city or something, and the fucking DAD speaks up and says "Hey, that's a pretty big bug there, isn't it, buddy?" at normal volume and the kid starts going AGAIN. At this point, I tell the guy that he needs to shut up so that his kid doesn't start going again, I move up a couple rows, and the rest of the show was okay. But yeah, the asshole dad couldn't appreciate that his kid was actually keeping quiet. Usually, with small kids, you go to the regular show because it's cheaper and the kids don't give a shit about 3D anyway.

I've brought my son to two movies: Zootopia and Lego Batman. Both times, I took him at the 10AM show on a Tuesday a few weeks after the movie had been out. Both times we were the only people in the theater.

I'm not a monster. I know what my son is capable of.

• Like 7

I've brought my son to two movies: Zootopia and Lego Batman. Both times, I took him at the 10AM show on a Tuesday a few weeks after the movie had been out. Both times we were the only people in the theater.

It's funny. I go see morning matinees on Saturdays all the time, and it's usually the kids that are better behaved than the parents. When i saw Beauty and the Beast a few weeks ago, there was a whole row of kids with one adult. There were two kids that were whispering, but they were directly behind me, and I could only barely hear them when the movie was totally quiet, so I didn't feel the need to shush them or anything. Meanwhile, I ratted out the mom to the Alamo staff because she kept pulling her phone out and turning on the fucking front light to read the menu.

I saw Finding Dory at a Noon screening on the opening Saturday. The theater was packed full of kids. They were all quiet. Then I went to see another movie afterwards, and I had to shush the three women in their 50s sitting next to me.

• Like 6

A couple years back, my sister told me she was taking my nephew to "Minions" as his first movie in a theater for his third birthday, and I got as far as "SO, you're gonna be one of THOSE...." before she stopped me and explained how she'd already prepared him to NOT be an asshole. It's like she realized how much of a pain in the ass SHE was as a kid and chose a different path for her own children. Crazy.

• Like 6

I don't really have a heckling experience, but when we went to see The Hunger Games it was a pretty packed theater and there were three, I don't know, thirteen year old girls sitting right behind us.

Anyway, through the first part of the movie they were doing a lot of "loud" whispering. The kind of whispering where you can tell they really want people to hear them and marvel at how how clever they are. It was pretty annoying, but it didn't go on for too long.

Then, about halfway through, something happened in the movie that made one of the girls laugh. She tried her best to stifle it and be "cool," but was woefully unsuccessful. The result was this hilarious laugh that sounded kind of like some weird, cartoony donkey braying/hyena cackle. Kind of like a high pitched Goofy laugh. We both just started cracking up. We still mimic it to this day.

• Like 3

It's funny. I go see morning matinees on Saturdays all the time, and it's usually the kids that are better behaved than the parents. When i saw Beauty and the Beast a few weeks ago, there was a whole row of kids with one adult. There were two kids that were whispering, but they were directly behind me, and I could only barely hear them when the movie was totally quiet, so I didn't feel the need to shush them or anything. Meanwhile, I ratted out the mom to the Alamo staff because she kept pulling her phone out and turning on the fucking front light to read the menu.

I saw Finding Dory at a Noon screening on the opening Saturday. The theater was packed full of kids. They were all quiet. Then I went to see another movie afterwards, and I had to shush the three women in their 50s sitting next to me.

Again, from having managed for a million zillion years, I've seen where the bad behavior starts, and it's often from people that do go to the slow weekday shows with their kids where they DON'T try to keep the kid in check or use that opportunity to teach their kid to not be an asshole even when others aren't around. I'll go into a theater that had 4 people in it, and the mess will look like there were 20, and it'll be scattered across various rows and all over the aisle. That's sort of not as bad when they're the only ones there, but the problem comes when the "I'm just going to let my kids run around" set DOES decide to go to an opening weekend show of "Boss Baby", because if you've got a theater full of kids that don't care accompanied by a theater full of PARENTS that don't care, it can look like a bomb went off by the end of it.

• Like 5

Again, from having managed for a million zillion years, I've seen where the bad behavior starts, and it's often from people that do go to the slow weekday shows with their kids where they DON'T try to keep the kid in check or use that opportunity to teach their kid to not be an asshole even when others aren't around. I'll go into a theater that had 4 people in it, and the mess will look like there were 20, and it'll be scattered across various rows and all over the aisle.

*cough* Cameron *cough*

• Like 3

Again, from having managed for a million zillion years, I've seen where the bad behavior starts, and it's often from people that do go to the slow weekday shows with their kids where they DON'T try to keep the kid in check or use that opportunity to teach their kid to not be an asshole even when others aren't around.

That was exactly our intention. Seeing as he would be a first time movie goer, I felt it important to teach him proper etiquette before imposing ourselves on others.

• Like 5

I know I've been in theaters when some people are heckling or just being rude in general, but I've somehow gotten pretty decent at tuning them out, to where my roommate will complain about someone sitting nearby after the movie and I'm just "Huh? Really?"

I love MST3K stuff too, but I prefer it to be saved for home, or when it's being done by actual professionals and not just people who think they're funny.

As far as audience reactions in general, I'll never forget the first time I went to see The Lion King in theater. My little hometown theater was absolutely packed. The movie got to where they were fighting off Scar and the Hyenas... Rafiki did that kung-fu crap and ended with the flying back-fist and the whole audience was in awe just started applauding him. At the time 12 year old me, was like "Wow this is a magical moment!" but looking back... you all just applauded an animation. Okay.

Btw, sign me up for the Adam Scott fanclub too.

• Like 5

Good theater experiences:

- Went to see Slither and the entire theater yelled at the screen. The amorphous flesh blob in the final act made one teenage girl in my row run out of the theater to puke. My very uptight ex did not enjoy the movie or our fellow patrons, which made it all the more enjoyable for me.

- Dragonball: Evolution, sat in front of a very passionate DB fan (and his very disinterested friends) who couldn't tell the characters apart. "That Chi-Chi? That Chi-Chi." Nah man, that's clearly supposed to be Bulma with those sad blue highlights. The credits started to roll and my group got up to leave, I hear him ask his friends what they thought. One said, "It was okay I guess, for a comedy." "Comedywhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?!"

- Early showing of Grindhouse, only a few other folks in the theater. Two middle-aged ladies arrive and sit directly in front of me. The trailer for Live Free or Die Hard starts, one of the ladies crosses her arms and slowly shakes her head, the other cocks her head to the side in confusion. Near the end when Justin Long's character turns to Bruce and asks if he's done that kind of stuff before, the confused lady turned to her friend and loudly whispered "Has he done that kind of stuff before??" The other lady let out the most disgusted "Mmm-hmm" I've ever heard.

I don't go to the movies much anymore, too many bad experiences with people answering their phones or acting like it's open mic night. That, and one time some creep relieved himself on the back of my chair.

• Like 2

I got Paul to say fuck The Lake House. Not as good as a marriage proposal but I'll take it.

I've never had a heckling experience in a theater. Considering I've been living in Japan for the last 12 years or so it's just not something that is done here. In fact even if you go see a Japanese comedy there if often little to no laughing. I find it very strange. I've been to live comedy as well and TV taping and people will laugh freely but in the theater nothing. Which leads to a fun talking in the theater story I have but that's the closest I have to heckling. As I said Japanese people are stone silent more often than not but I do not care and I laugh if something is funny. I was watching Guardians of the Galaxy in a packed theater and there are a lot of jokes in that movie. I was giggling a few times and laughing aloud a few times. Then the scene when Starlord is listing the long list of Earth outlaws and ends on John Stamos I let out a big-ish laugh. The random strange who was sitting next to me just leans over and says "Could you explain it to me" I told him that John Stamos was uncle Jessie on Full House, a show that has no right to be as popular here as it is, and he just said "Yea, he's cool."

On a related note. Before you see a movie in Japan there are two things you have to see. One is a short thing on proper manners for the movie theater. Like this:

The second is an anti piracy ad. These were the first two in the series. The second one ran for so long that I developed a very involved fan theory on the mysterious woman.

• Like 7

The second is an anti piracy ad. These were the first two in the series. The second one ran for so long that I developed a very involved fan theory on the mysterious woman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HdCXYia-Yw

Whoa, is that where these two cats are from? I'd figured I'd missed some hit show that season.

post-128875-0-23986900-1492850608_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2