🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 160.5 - Minisode 160.5

The second one ran for so long that I developed a very involved fan theory on the mysterious woman.

Go on...

200w.gif

Also, did you say you had a "fan" theory about an anti-piracy video?

• Like 7

Go on...

200w.gif

Also, did you say you had a "fan" theory about an anti-piracy video?

Okay, so I believe the woman is secretly in love with siren officer. Hear me out! So this woman is in the theater, it's ladies day (a discounted day for women at movie theaters) and she's taking in the latest shojo manga inspired insipid love story. She's minding her own business when she sees cameraman video taping the movie. She's in shock and doesn't know what to do. Then enter siren officer, she sets her eyes on him and falls madly in love. She continues to go to the movies but nobody else has been foolish enough to pirate a film. Growing desperate in her want to be with siren officer she has an idea. She'll illegally download a movie. Knowing that siren officer monitors and is in charge of punishing pirates and illegal downloaders, he'll have no choice but to bust her. That's why she's so happy about illegally downloading things at the end. Then the look at the end is not shock but surprised elation that he's finally back into her life.

It's hard to explain. That version of the ad ran for about... I want to say 4-5 years. No matter what movie theater you went to, no matter the movie, you had to watch this. So in a weird Stockholm syndrome type way you come to love this little ad. I mean those dance moves! I bought the action figures muttnik posted. I took photos with people cosplaying as them at events. The characters were everywhere. On the news. In live comedy shows. I had become a fan. I thought I was a fan of the characters then sadly two and a half years ago or so they changed it to this:

Now as much as I would love to speculate on who exactly Mr. Soda and Mr. Popcorn are and their relationship, I'm not as invested in them as I am with strange woman from the original. So I guess that makes me a fan of that specific ad.

• Like 5

I just got back from F8

Andy-Dwyer-Shock.gif

Yessss! So glad you'll be here to talk with me about it!

I love MST3K stuff too, but I prefer it to be saved for home, or when it's being done by actual professionals and not just people who think they're funny.

I went to see a Master Pancake showing of Independence Day: Resurgence (which is still the only way I've ever seen that movie and the only way I would recommend. It was at Alamo Drafthouse, so even though people are laughing and we're shouting our agreed-upon drinking phrase at the screen, the crowd is still usually pretty good. That is, until there were about 15 minutes left in the movie and a drunk guy about four seats down decides he's as funny as the MP guys.

Basically, in order going down the row, there's me, a random dude, a random woman, and the loud guy (who was with the random woman). After a couple minutes, the dude next to me was like, "Can you please shut up?"

Loud guy starts to argue with him, and then my friend and I were both like, "No, seriously, you need to shut the fuck up and let us watch the movie." A couple other people in the row join in, and he shuts up. After the movie as we're all signing our checks and shit, he basically tried to start a fight with the guy sitting next to me because he was "disrespecting" loud guy's girlfriend by telling him to shut the fuck up. It's the only time I've ever seen them physically remove someone from the theater, and it was glorious.

• Like 5

Now as much as I would love to speculate on who exactly Mr. Soda and Mr. Popcorn are and their relationship, I'm not as invested in them as I am with strange woman from the original. So I guess that makes me a fan of that specific ad.

Omg popcorn, stop eating yourself!

• Like 4

Yessss! So glad you'll be here to talk with me about it!

Spoiler alert this will be the first "This week in Feminism" in faaar too long!

• Like 4

You mean a Fast movie doesn't pass the Feminism muster?

im_shocked.gif

• Like 6

Oh, I'm pretty sure I know exactly where you're going to go with it, and I 100% agree.

• Like 2

I just got back from F8

taylor anne photo (and everyone)...If you like you are more than welcome to chime in about anything you might want to say about F8 before next fridays episode in the Recommendations subforum http://forum.earwolf...e-furious-2017/

Apparently the app wizards at Facebook believe this to be true based on a couple year old photo of myself:

db2f426e0d57489b926c98dae712df84.gif

Though to be fair the first time I uploaded the picture it wasn't zoomed in and included Jerry "the King" Lawler which meant I most looked like Adelle.

Just a head's up, the original American Gladiators is now on Hulu. If you're not watching it, I don't even know what to do with you...

k0MvE.gif

• Like 2

Just a head's up, the original American Gladiators is now on Hulu. If you're not watching it, I don't even know what to do with you...

k0MvE.gif

Sounds delightful. If you could compete in any of the events which would it be? For me it's a toss up between assault and powerball.

• Like 1

Sounds delightful. If you could compete in any of the events which would it be? For me it's a toss up between assault and powerball.

So many to choose from, but Assault would be my number one. And I would love to run through the Eliminator.

qVZa7.gif

• Like 1

So many to choose from, but Assault would be my number one. And I would love to run through the Eliminator.

qVZa7.gif

No doubt you'd hit that target before you got to the tennis balls! I see you're a Malibu man. Personally as a kid I thought Nitro was the coolest.

ag67.jpg?w=357&h=500

• Like 1

No doubt you'd hit that target before you got to the tennis balls! I see you're a Malibu man. Personally as a kid I thought Nitro was the coolest.

ag67.jpg?w=357&h=500

I can just appreciate a really fine, well-groomed mullet. The crowd shots are a veritable smorgasbord. And, in terms of philosophy, Malibu is like the Jean-Paul Sartre of the Gladiators. Although, Gemini has some good mnemonics rhymes: stay low, land the blow.

• Like 1

Well I know what I'm watching now that I finished my binge of Archer. Also the only thing I can think of that's tougher than being on that show was the video game based on it, holy hell that shit was impossible.

• Like 3

That's the guy from the damn DragonStrike pack-in VHS tape! This could be in its own episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTNnYkJwSNU

And its Motaro from Mortal Kombat Annihilation! Yeah!

MKAMotaro.png

I think a few of them were cast in that clusterfuck.

• Like 2

That's the guy from the damn DragonStrike pack-in VHS tape! This could be in its own episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTNnYkJwSNU

And its Motaro from Mortal Kombat Annihilation! Yeah!

MKAMotaro.png

I had Dragonstrike! I preferred HeroQuest though. Sadly never had the SNES American Gladiators.

So I was Googling whatever happened to the American Gladiators and found out that "Lace"

05eb3d29c91fb5bc51f50681001e5db5.jpg

was briefly married to our very own...

Michael Kevin Paré

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 2

American Gladiator Fun Fact #13

American Gladiator Sabre:

hqdefault.jpg

Was also in Mortal Kombat Annihilation as Jaxx!

90332c50590f7de374ce66b16363ef03.jpg

(Thanks to Ryan Sz for the assist)

• Like 3

Interesting to contrast Michael Pare's comments to Blake against Walter Hill's interview with Maron this week. I don't know if anyone else listens to WTF, but they covered most of the highlights of Hill's career. Hill never discusses Streets of Fire directly, but he does say (paraphrasing): "Most people seem to think that directors are acting coaches and that's not what their job is".

Interesting to contrast Michael Pare's comments to Blake against Walter Hill's interview with Maron this week. I don't know if anyone else listens to WTF, but they covered most of the highlights of Hill's career. Hill never discusses Streets of Fire directly, but he does say (paraphrasing): "Most people seem to think that directors are acting coaches and that's not what their job is".

I am going to have to listen to that. I love Hill's work but I come from a theater background where directing is working with actors to create their characters (in some cases--I have done shows where I am given carte blanche). I wonder if that comes out of a certain set of directors from the 70s, listening to I WAS THERE TOO with Ahmed Best, he mentioned that Ewan McGregor and Liam Nesson on Phantom Menace worked with him much more then Lucas ever did (that's not verbatium but certainly the impression I got)

Since I've been sick with food poisoning this week I've been able to watch Gladiators and boy I forgot how much this show RULED. Granted, the amount of neon running suits and teased out hair is out of control, but it's made up for with the personalities of the gladiators. Also I found it odd that they introduce all of the gladiators who are these jacked bodybuilders and then they finally introduce Sunny as the girl next door, who literally looks like they pulled a person from the audience.American%20Gladiators%20Sunny%20Picture.jpg Also Malibu's mullet is truly glorious.

• Like 3

Gladiator Fun Fact #47

Laser is the only Gladiator to be on every season of the show!

laser-american-gladiator.jpg

• Like 2