🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
UniversalLove

Just watched Anonymous (2011). Alternate Theories of Shakespeare Authorship General

It was just okay. I don't really like Shakespeare. But what I DO like a lot is Hollywood Handbook, so I thought I'd let my interest drive me to watch a movie that I otherwise wouldn't have watched in search of the completest possible understanding of the show. Are there any other movies that come up in more than one or ideally more than two episodes of Holly Hand that a completist might go out of his way to watch?

As far as the movie goes, they really make William see like not so nice a guy. I can see why someone would be upset that he's getting so much credit. The townspeople were so motivated by Richard the Third that they stormed Queen Elizabeth's castle, did that really happen? I'm not familiar with the play, but it seemed very early in the play also, less than 1/4 of the way through. I guess they maybe hated the castle guy a lot already.

The twist was good. I felt that I suspected it on some level deep down, but maybe I'm just imagining that to flatter my intelligence. Kinda tricky to keep track of the nobility and the more minor characters, but I mostly got it and probably could have followed entirely if I paid more attention.

The first time I heard about alternate Shakespearean authorship theories was when one was briefly mentioned in the comic Y: The Last Man I think. No, that's not true, I first heard about it in Action Philosophers!, another comic, where they briefly mention that some people think that Sir Francis Bacon wrote them there plays. Lotta comics, people. Where did you all first hear about it?

Where did you all first hear about it?

I don't know.. but I do know this super friendly chick that we call "Jackson Pollock" for obvious reasons.