🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 10 High School Musical 1 & 2...maybe 3

I wouldn't say it's horrible. I would say it's not for adults, though.

...which is why I love it.

I hate it so much. It was cringe-worthy bad for me. Some parts I could laugh at and enjoy but as a whole I've never liked it. Even as a 16 year old sitting in the middle of a performing arts group while the show choir learned the dance moves.

• Like 7

But don't you remember that "take off the glasses and remove the ponytail" moment at the end!? I mean she was bound to get cooler cause they took away her bowler hat!

She's also the most beautiful person in the whole cast fo sho

MV5BMTEwNjI4OTA5NjVeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDc3NzY4MzAy._V1_UY317_CR12,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Absolutely. She seems to have grown up into a really cool, socially conscious artist. Her instagram is really great.

ETA - I clicked over to her instagram just now and saw that her third picture is her ass in underwear. I swear that's not why I suggested you click over. Now I feel like a creepy old man making the suggestion. Oof.

• Like 6

I hate it so much. It was cringe-worthy bad for me. Some parts I could laugh at and enjoy but as a whole I've never liked it. Even as a 16 year old sitting in the middle of a performing arts group while the show choir learned the dance moves.

Wait, so for you this is worse even than baked beans on Ann-Margret?

• Like 5

I just gagged

• Like 6

DING DING DING

It's a horrible movie with a stupid ass premise and uses these two extremely beautiful, talented kids to be like "Hey be accepting!"

There's literally NO REAL CONFLICT HERE

You know what just hit about this, the less attractive less talented people were used as comedy. Just think to the auditions. We had shy nervous people, awkward outcasts, arty theater kids, etc. These are the people clearly trying to leave their lane and they are the punchline for a whole scene. They're the only kids we see fail at doing anything and the only ones outside of Martha that fall outside the cookie cutter Disney safe and pretty image. However, I'm glad to hear they make her a cheerleader later on. As long as it's not suppose to be a joke that is.

• Like 9

However, I'm glad to hear they make her a cheerleader later on. As long as it's not suppose to be a joke that is.

No, she's a badass dancer, right up front and centre and kicking ass.

• Like 6

200.gif#3-grid1

nothing is worse than the baked bean scene

• Like 7

You know what just hit about this, the less attractive less talented people were used as comedy. Just think to the auditions. We had shy nervous people, awkward outcasts, arty theater kids, etc. These are the people clearly trying to leave their lane and they are the punchline for a whole scene. They're the only kids we see fail at doing anything and the only ones outside of Martha that fall outside the cookie cutter Disney safe and pretty image. However, I'm glad to hear they make her a cheerleader later on. As long as it's not suppose to be a joke that is.

Also it did not go unnoticed the diversity of the school! It was really awesome to watch 3 of the main characters be POC and then Zeke be a black man as well!

• Like 7

Do you think that the fact that you were the age of the characters portrayed in the movie when it came out has affected the way you feel about it?

• Like 5

My notes...

*Vanessa Anne?

Great name

No argument there :D... I just was not familiar with her middle name

*A score board control system conected to the internet??

I have to C&O myself... If the scoreboard system is connected to the schools Local LAN or WAN that could made hacking it from inside the school possible

• Like 5

Why is Zac Efron in this movie? It's a musical about a guy who sings really well, but none of the singing is him. I would get it if Zac Efron had been a thing yet, but he totally wasn't. Why wouldn't they cast someone who could sing, act, and have pretty shag hair? Was it just his sweet basketball skills?

• Like 6

Also it did not go unnoticed the diversity of the school! It was really awesome to watch 3 of the main characters be POC and then Zeke be a black man as well!

Also Japanese American character played by Japanese American actor.

• Like 6

Do you think that the fact that you were the age of the characters portrayed in the movie when it came out has affected the way you feel about it?

No I really don't. I was one of the few that DIDN'T like it and I'm someone who was crazy into the Jonas Brothers, Glee (for the first couple of seasons at least), and more recently One Direction. Proudly so too. I just never really cared for the songs and I think those are really the only redeeming factor to the whole thing.

Maybe I should force Camp Rock onto y'all lololol

• Like 5

Why is Zac Efron in this movie? It's a musical about a guy who sings really well, but none of the singing is him. I would get it if Zac Efron had been a thing yet, but he totally wasn't. Why wouldn't they cast someone who could sing, act, and have pretty shag hair? Was it just his sweet basketball skills?

Yeah I didn't get it either when I found out it wasn't his singing voice.

He didn't have sweet basketball skills either. IMDB says:

Zac Efron had to undergo three hours of basketball practice every day because his character was the captain of the basketball team.
  • Like 6

Oh and I totally noticed the beginning of "Status Quo" is HEAVILY influenced by "Can't Stop the Beat" from our previously discussed Hairspray!

• Like 4

Zac Efron didn't sing in this movie but he did sing in the second and third: pretty sure he got the lead because he was an up-and-comer and Disney saw something in him, but the music had already been written in the first movie for a tenor, and he's a baritone.

Here he is in a flashback sequence in Firefly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1B7MSY45fE

ETA - just realised with this rate of posting, that I'm 100% certain of hitting the 1000 post mark in this thread!

• Like 8

Yeah I didn't get it either when I found out it wasn't his singing voice.

He didn't have sweet basketball skills either. IMDB says:

This just blew my mind.

It must be because he's just Ted Neeley Handsome I suppose.

Zac Efron didn't sing in this movie but he did sing in the second and third: pretty sure he got the lead because he was an up-and-comer and Disney saw something in him, but the music had already been written in the first movie for a tenor, and he's a baritone.

ETA - just realised with this rate of posting, that I'm 100% certain of hitting the 1000 post mark in this thread!

This also blew my mind. Also just reminds me how much I disliked Simon!

• Like 6

I was going to say the same thing. Disney is really good at spotting, not necessarily "talent," but that undefinable thing that will resonate with whatever demo their trying to reach.

• Like 8

No I really don't. I was one of the few that DIDN'T like it and I'm someone who was crazy into the Jonas Brothers, Glee (for the first couple of seasons at least), and more recently One Direction. Proudly so too. I just never really cared for the songs and I think those are really the only redeeming factor to the whole thing.

Maybe I should force Camp Rock onto y'all lololol

That surprises me that, at the time, anyone your age would have liked it at all. I would say it was definitely made for middle schoolers and younger.

I can appreciate it's innocence. It's pretty benign, the songs (for me) are catchy, and the leads are watchably charming. I just can't muster up the cynicism to dislike it.

• Like 6

That surprises me that, at the time, anyone your age would have liked it at all. I would say it was definitely made for middle schoolers and younger.

I can appreciate it's innocence. It's pretty benign, the songs (for me) are catchy, and the leads are watchably charming. I just can't muster up the cynicism to dislike it.

Nawh I can vouch for this... I was a sophomore in HS too when it came out, and I remember people talking about it and good amount of my friends liking it. I just avoided watching at the time.

• Like 7

My wife told her class last week that she was going to be watching HSM that weekend and they all, every SINGLE one, said 'oh my God, that's the best movie ever'. And my wife teaches in an alternative school full of gang members and drug dealers. They're all 16-18 years old and their memory of this movie was vivid and beloved. They talked about fond memories of HSM sleepover parties and learning the dances when they were kids. And my kids fuckin' LOVED all three movies (they're 7 and 5). I'd agree with Cameron in saying that it's more of a middle school target demo.

• Like 7

Hearing everybody's age when this came out is starting to make me feel old...

• Like 6

Hearing everybody's age when this came out is starting to make me feel old...

I was 28, if that helps.

• Like 4

That surprises me that anyone your age would have liked it at the time at all. I would say it was definitely made for middle schoolers and younger.

Maybe it is the age thing for me? I definitely feel like 8-12 was the sweet spot they were going for but it definitely rang true to all the performing girls at my school it seemed.

• Like 7

My wife told her class last week that she was going to be watching HSM that weekend and they all, every SINGLE one, said 'oh my God, that's the best movie ever'. And my wife teaches in an alternative school full of gang members and drug dealers. They're all 16-18 years old and their memory of this movie was vivid and beloved. They talked about fond memories of HSM sleepover parties and learning the dances when they were kids. And my kids fuckin' LOVED all three movies (they're 7 and 5). I'd agree with Cameron in saying that it's more of a middle school target demo.

This is mind blowing to me! Saved by the Bell came out when I was still really young, but I feel like it would be like if you were in High School when it first came out and enjoying it unironically.

My 4 year old loved it. My baby threw up on me.

• Like 8