🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 10 High School Musical 1 & 2...maybe 3

Oh yea, she was painful to watch and I did want to ask if she has improved...cause I don't think I've seen anything else she's in.

Guess she hasn't then..

That show would be so much better if they got rid of her (although it works because she is basically playing a straight man type character in an office full of wacky people).

• Like 4

Thanks, CakeBug and Ev! That's kind of what I figured, but I was like, "Maybe this is just something that happens, and I don't know about it."

I do want to point out I was watching as my bf was getting ready for work. So he did watch a good chunk of it too.

I was surprised he even was paying attention, let alone genuinely laughing at anything in this...He did like Sharpay and was legit laughing at her dialogue (not ironically) and he said Ashley Tisdale was the only good actor in this..

She's "swimming in a river of ham" as another podcast I listen to likes to put it. She just chews scenery for, like, 80% of the movie, and it's still better than anything Efron or Hudgens does.

• Like 4

Looking at Tisdale's bio on Wiki, it looks like she had much more expirence, including quite a bit of musical theater experience before she ever went to Hollywood. She did two years in a touring company of Les Miz as Cosette and a tour of Korea in Annie. Compared to Hudgens who did almost no professional theater work and was doing TV and movies before HSM. Tisdale is also 3 years older then Hudgens and 2 years older then Efron.

I also feel that not enough love has been given to Corbin Bleu. I remember talking a lot of shit when he replaced Lin-Manuel Miranda as Usnavi in In The Heights on Broadway when lin left (IIRC he took the role directly over from Lin) judging him solely on HSM, and I haven't even seen High School Musical. He was quite good in this in a very underwritten role.

• Like 4

Sharpay seemed to have a crush on Troy at certain points of the movie - wouldn't she want him to audition so she could share a stage kiss or something with him instead of her brother? Or when you audition in pairs, do you have to stay in those pairs forever?

Well, what I wanted to bring up is right after he reconnects with Gabriela, he has a conversation with Chad where he's trying to justify being in a Musical or something and he says, "Sharpay's cute, too." I just thought that was a really weird thing to put in your "pro" column when you're supposedly head over heels for another person.

Oh yea, she was painful to watch and I did want to ask if she has improved...cause I don't think I've seen anything else she's in.

Guess she hasn't then..

Obviously you haven't seen Journey 2: The Mysterious Island. Luis Guzman is in it...

• Like 6

Luis Guzman is in it...

At this point, I never know if anyone means the actor from Boogie Nights or the lead in Teen Witch...

• Like 5

Regarding Ryan's sexuality, it depresses me that they felt the need to pair him off in the 3rd one. Like, I don't think it ever had to be explicit that he was gay, but I think it's really shitty that they felt the need to closet him.

It's funny, because I was going to say that I liked how at the end of his number with Sharpay, he throws his hat out into the audience and there are two boys and two girls vying for it. I totally get Disney wasn't ready ten years ago to have an openly gay character, but I thought that that scene was a nice, subtle nod to his sexuality. They didn't even play it for laughs which was refreshing.

• Like 7

This film was so cheesy but I can't help but genuinely find some of the tunes catchy.

I thought it was pretty cool that at one point Taylor remarks on how the sports get too much funding. I really kind of wished the movie would go into that more and the school's obsession with the basketball team.

I don't think that the whole "status quo" thing really happens too much in real life. At least I remember the smarter kids also being in cheerleading or sports or the arts, etc. As mentioned before, people aren't one dimensional. They have multiple interests.

I'll echo what Jammer said in that I think it would've been far more interesting if Taylor had a genuine crush on Gabriella and I think Ryan coming out as gay would've been awesome.

I really don't understand why Disney was okay with the weird incesty twin siblings. Did they not notice while it was being made?

I thought it was amusing that right before the big game Troy's dad is like "You know what, son? You just go and have fun!" even though the majority of the movie he's screaming at Troy to get his head in the game. Even screaming at Gabriella for showing up on the basketball court as some sort of temptress that will distract Troy from basketball. (He at least thought it was her fault that Troy ended up in detention...)

Why did Troy have a secret spot in the garden that the rest of the team instantly knew about when they had to look for him later on in the film?

Why can't Ryan read? How did he get into high school and read for musicals if he can't read those t-shirts?

So many questions.....

• Like 7

Well, what I wanted to bring up is right after he reconnects with Gabriela, he has a conversation with Chad where he's trying to justify being in a Musical or something and he says, "Sharpay's cute, too." I just thought that was a really weird thing to put in your "pro" column when you're supposedly head over heels for another person.

Obviously you haven't seen Journey 2: The Mysterious Island. Luis Guzman is in it...

Yes--I thought it was weird too that he said "she was cute". When yeah he's into Gabriella and also she's trying to ruin your chances of getting into this musical you want to be in so bad. Did he have to say anything nice about her?

If he's just trying to convince his friend he's getting into the musical for a girl--why not say it's because Gabriella is cute?

& no, I have not seen.. and I think it's funny now whenever someone mentions Luis Guzman the first thing that comes to my mind now is Teen Witch, thanks to HDTGM

• Like 5

Well if we take the age of the actor playing Coach Bolton into consideration (36) and the age of Troy (17) that means they would have had Troy when he was 19 or 20. So right out of college, maybe two years of college as a star basketball player, then bam a kid comes, he is struggling through teacher's college while his wife is doing, whatever it is she is doing. Maybe troy's parents were high school sweethearts and his dad is trying to help his son live the life he never got to. As mentioned, his dad is kind of a man-child living through his son.

• Like 5

Any guesses as to what Troy's mother does for a living? Did you see the size of their house (complete with basketball court)? There's no way they can afford all that, plus very nice ski trips, on a High School basketball couch's salary.

Coming back to this - I wonder how much a basketball couch earns

But seriously is that all Troy's dad does? I could understand if his dad was also the gym teacher, but that's never mentioned. I'd find it odd for him to hang out on campus during regular school hours if he's only a coach.

*EDIT*

My dad helped coach softball for a while when he was working a full time job, so I don't understand why Troy's dad can't have another job, but... not if he's wasting time hanging out around school.

• Like 5

Coming back to this - I wonder how much a basketball couch earns

But seriously is that all Troy's dad does? I could understand if his dad was also the gym teacher, but that's never mentioned. I'd find it odd for him to hang out on campus during regular school hours if he's only a coach.

in 2017, a major sport head coach in New Mexico (where HSM takes place) makes between 51,000-80,000/year.

And I have known schools where the coach is a full-time position. We know that the town (is it stated to be Albuquerque? ) is big enough to support two schools (East Wildcats and West Knights) so...ten years ago, I would say probably around 40 or 50k/year.

• Like 3

I really don't understand why Disney was okay with the weird incesty twin siblings. Did they not notice while it was being made?

I think, we might be imposing more sexuality on it than the intended audience would have. I think for 8 year olds (or whatever) it would have been like "they're close."

Also, this dumb poster...

hsmscreenshot4.jpg

• Like 6

stupid computer double posted. IGNORE THIS MESSAGE!

giphy.gif

This post will be your legacy!

• Like 5

giphy.gif

This post will be your legacy!

Ha! I edited it with the average wage of a teacher in New Mexico in 2017!

• Like 2

Ha! I edited it with the average wage of a teacher in New Mexico in 2017!

tumblr_lq3pze9MxX1qko4x4o1_500.gif

Next time, Gadget!

• Like 7

I think, we might be imposing more sexuality on it than the intended audience would have. I think for 8 year olds (or whatever) it would have been like "they're close."

Also, this dumb poster...

hsmscreenshot4.jpg

I love how everyone except Troy is doing an action shot, and Troy looks like he was told to solve a very confusing math problem in his head.

I went to a very large high school and we never had a poster (of any size) for any of our athletes. And one of our basketball players was on ESPN while she was still a junior.

• Like 9

Why did Troy have a secret spot in the garden that the rest of the team instantly knew about when they had to look for him later on in the film?

Seriously this bothered me. He specifically stated that he would go to that spot to get AWAY from his teammates. Someone must've ratted him out.

Also wtf was the moment Sharpay went to look for the mysterious voice (Gabriella) in the bathroom, and NEVER SAW HER even though she walked right past the corner Gabriella was hiding in. Does Sharpay have no peripheral vision, or what?

• Like 9

I went to a very large high school and we never had a poster (of any size) for any of our athletes. And one of our basketball players was on ESPN while she was still a junior.

Our football team was on Team Cheerios my junior year.

Lewisville-Fighting-Farmers-Football-Team-Cheerios-Cereal-Box.jpg

But we also did not have posters of them.

(Also, I'm still laughing about "basketball couch")

39772619.jpg

• Like 7

We did (and probably still do) have posters. They were like one-sheet calenders that the booster club put out as a fund raiser, all the businesses supported and people bought. Picture of the team at the top, school year calender at the bottom. Different seadon, different poster sent around town.

• Like 4

We had team posters of the teams that won state but it was NOTHING like what they show in HSM. It was literally just the team roster photo blown up to fit from floor to ceiling. Those photos line the main hallway by the gym and choir/band rooms and say "state champs" and the year they won.

• Like 7

We had team posters of the teams that won state but it was NOTHING like what they show in HSM. It was literally just the team roster photo blown up to fit from floor to ceiling. Those photos line the main hallway by the gym and choir/band rooms and say "state champs" and the year they won.

Yeah my HS only had banners of State Championship winners (which was mainly arts winners; Orchestra, Choir, & Band and Indoor Percussion/ Guard won the most State competitions in their divisions. I think softball won twice and only last year I think Basketball won a championship).

We had no crazy big poster of closeups of the "team" members. Maybe if our football team won a championship I could see that happening.

To go off what others mentioned earlier.. in my high school they always made Football the biggest deal / priority, which was funny to me since our football team was not that great.

Any "arts" accomplishments would be a side announcement to the main announcement of football or basketball making the playoffs, etc..

• Like 5

Man, when I was in school our big sports teams were so bad, we were the ones winning games on Friday the 13th. I cannot fathom how a team would get such praise to warrant a full color, wall-to-floor poster of one season's team.

Oh, we did have walls of old trophy's from different competitions, but that was it as far as sports accomplishments.

My school's real claim to fame was receiving a mention in Playboy magazine, but that's kind of off topic.

• Like 5

Yeah my HS only had banners of State Championship winners (which was mainly arts winners; Orchestra, Choir, & Band and Indoor Percussion/ Guard won the most State competitions in their divisions. I think softball won twice and only last year I think Basketball won a championship).

We had no crazy big poster of closeups of the "team" members. Maybe if our football team won a championship I could see that happening.

To go off what others mentioned earlier.. in my high school they always made Football the biggest deal / priority, which was funny to me since our football team was not that great.

Any "arts" accomplishments would be a side announcement to the main announcement of football or basketball making the playoffs, etc..

Oh our choir and band were NATIONALLY recognized but we got shit from the school :)

My freshman year the "madrigal" choir got to perform FOR THE POPE but there was certainly no giant poster of them in the hallway.

• Like 5

My school's real claim to fame was receiving a mention in Playboy magazine, but that's kind of off topic.

Your HIGH school? Not college? What on earth was the context?

• Like 4

Oh our choir and band were NATIONALLY recognized but we got shit from the school :)

My freshman year the "madrigal" choir got to perform FOR THE POPE but there was certainly no giant poster of them in the hallway.

so lame that the music/arts is underappreciated and under-funded / the first in line for budget cuts in schools :(

• Like 7