🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 10 High School Musical 1 & 2...maybe 3

Okay one more thing I wanted to bring up...

If Troy and Gabriella liked singing so much... why didn't they just try out for choir? I mean, for a musical you also have to consider acting ability, stage presence, and the ability to follow a set choreography, right? But singing one song during karaoke doesn't display any of these skills. Gabriella, in fact, was the worst and started off the karaoke song with her arms crossed over her chest. This pose is the sign of someone who is very uncomfortable to be in that spot, and I'm not a pro, but wouldn't such a stance hinder one's singing ability as well?

• Like 8

Okay one more thing I wanted to bring up...

If Troy and Gabriella liked singing so much... why didn't they just try out for choir? I mean, for a musical you also have to consider acting ability, stage presence, and the ability to follow a set choreography, right? But singing one song during karaoke doesn't display any of these skills. Gabriella, in fact, was the worst and started off the karaoke song with her arms crossed over her chest. This pose is the sign of someone who is very uncomfortable to be in that spot, and I'm not a pro, but wouldn't such a stance hinder one's singing ability as well?

She also complains of abdominal pains on her first day of school which made me really want IBS to be Vanessa Hudgeons' actor's secret.

• Like 8

She also complains of abdominal pains on her first day of school which made me really want IBS to be Vanessa Hudgeons' actor's secret.

is this how you came up with the fart story/example?

• Like 8

is this how you came up with the fart story/example?

No, no. That's based on a short story I'm working on. ;)

• Like 8

Jammer, you've got a lot to answer for. After two days of begging, I finally gave in to my kids and bought all three soundtrack albums, and they've been playing all night tonight at our customary bedtime dance parties. This could be a long month.

• Like 8

Jammer, you've got a lot to answer for. After two days of begging, I finally gave in to my kids and bought all three soundtrack albums, and they've been playing all night tonight at our customary bedtime dance parties. This could be a long month.

Wildcats sing a-long!!

I'm gonna pass the blame on to Rifftrax, because I never would've watched this movie without their commentary. (See also: the whole Twilight series)

• Like 5

I bought it too, but just for me :)

So if you see me outside--mowing the lawn, laying mulch, glistening with manly sweat--just know that what's playing in my earbuds is: "We're all in this together!"

That's Cameron H's secret.

• Like 6

Guys, what's your favorite hat from HSM?

I'm not sure I have a favorite hat, but Kelsi's hat game was strong. I wore more hats in college and I wish I had had her selection.

• Like 3

I have more "newsboy" caps then I probably should (I'm approaching old man level with them) so I have to give it to Ryan's hat.

• Like 1

Well, Kelsi hats >>>> Ryan hats.

From HSM, the bowler is the clear winner.

But if we open it up to HSM 2, there are a couple of contenders...

rDCcPmh.png

zac-efron-vanessa-hudgens-08.jpg

(Also, I watched HSM 2 tonight, and it's....actually kind of better than the first. I have to agree with Cakebug on this one.)

• Like 8

Wildcats sing a-long!!

I'm gonna pass the blame on to Rifftrax, because I never would've watched this movie without their commentary. (See also: the whole Twilight series)

Same! I own all the Twilights because of them! I wish they would do more Blockbuster commentaries, but I get why they don't do them as much anymore.

• Like 5

I hated all the hats, lol.

But if I had to pick who's I hated the least I'd say Kelsi too

• Like 6

That reminds me that I wikipedia-ed Kelsi after I watched this movie (because I didn't want to watch the sequals but wanted to find out what happened to her) and this was in her bio:

In addition, Ryan and Kelsi actually speak to each other during the movies, and it is implied that Ryan supported Kelsi's ideas for the talent show before agreeing to direct the Wildcats ("Oh, hey. Kelsi's got some great new ideas to spice up the talent show..."). They are also the only characters to wear hats regularly, and their hats often match.
  • Like 4

If I'm picking my favorite* outfit(s) from the movie.

I'm going with this:

3-Sharpay-and-Ryan-High-School-Musical.jpg

They coordinated their color pallet.

*hate so much that it is my favorite

• Like 7

Yeah, it looks dumb as hell, but I do appreciate Zac Efron's comedy chops in this. Thanks, High School Musical!

• Like 3

I think my favourite hat in the movie was this one from Ryan

jFs1iyW.jpg

I think it's a combination of the interesting colour scheme, the fact the hat is clearly too big for his head, and this is one of the few times we see him outside of the flat cap look.

• Like 4

Does anyone else feel like this would have actually been better had it been Grease 3? As it stands, it's kind of a hybrid Grease 1 and 2, but if Troy had been a T-Bird rather than a jock, I think his dilemma would have made much more sense. It would have created more drama than just "which extracurricular school activity do I want to do more." It would also be more dramatic if the auditions were taking place when a rumble, a race, or some other Greaser nonsense was happening. It would highlight that feeling of "do I do what I want to do or do I stand with my friends?" At least that would give this movie some stakes instead of the self-imposed "the drama teacher is being bizarrely petty and intransigent, so (at the request of a student) she rescheduled a school event to directly conflict with another school event."

However, I get that they wanted to update the story for modern audiences, and Greasers (or whatever 21st century group you'd use in their stead) wouldn't have been appropriate for a kid's movie.

• Like 7

I feel like even in 2006 Ryan & Sharpay's outfits were not cool. They look way too 2001 and like everything was bought at Sam Moon (one of those cheap jewelry places where you can buy some fake diamonds that ~look~ expensive but really just cost a couple of bucks).

• Like 8

"the drama teacher is being bizarrely petty and intransigent, so (at the request of a student) rescheduled a school event to directly conflict with another school event."

Have we all pointed out yet how nothing would have been going on at 3:30 in the afternoon??? The call back auditions probably, but only if that's when school let out and everyone would have met after school. But the big championship game would have most likely been at 7 or 8 PM and the decathlon tournament would have probably been on a Saturday!

• Like 8

I feel like even in 2006 Ryan & Sharpay's outfits were not cool. They look way too 2001 and like everything was bought at Sam Moon (one of those cheap jewelry places where you can buy some fake diamonds that ~look~ expensive but really just cost a couple of bucks).

I don't know if the look is supposed to be "cool" so much as "flamboyant." They're certainly not portrayed in the movie as being a part of the "cool" crowd.

• Like 6

I don't know if the look is supposed to be "cool" so much as "flamboyant." They're certainly not portrayed in the movie as being a part of the "cool" crowd.

Idk I got the feeling that Sharpay was supposed to be seen as extremely popular. Ryan not so much, he's clearly just the follower of Sharpay, but I definitely felt like she at least saw herself as queen bee. Maybe that's why someone (I'm sorry I'm not feeling well and I can't remember who) pointed out that they felt like Sharpay was crushing on Troy. She could have just been looking to make a power couple situation happen.

• Like 6

Besides the basketball guys, who is supposed to be seen as the cool crowd? Is it literally just those group of guys and everyone else is below them?

• Like 5

Idk I got the feeling that Sharpay was supposed to be seen as extremely popular. Ryan not so much, he's clearly just the follower of Sharpay, but I definitely felt like she at least saw herself as queen bee. Maybe that's why someone (I'm sorry I'm not feeling well and I can't remember who) pointed out that they felt like Sharpay was crushing on Troy. She could have just been looking to make a power couple situation happen.

I would say she was "well-known," but not popular. She doesn't really have any friends outside of her brother, and the basketball team (i.e. The epitome of cool) actively makes fun of her. In any other movie, I'd say she definitely fits that popular/mean girl trope, but not so much in this.

What does everyone else think?

• Like 4