🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 10 High School Musical 1 & 2...maybe 3

I would be probably one of the poorly auditioning students because I never got cast in our high school plays but tried out every year. Most likely the girl that just stays frozen and gets shooed off.

But I wish I could be Zeke.

giphy.gif

• Like 7

I was trying to figure out who I would be, and I think this is likely the closest..

tumblr_m8rt5meREC1qcnmato1_250.gif

Also, while searching for that, I found out that the actor who played that kid is named Dutch Whitlock, and he was arrested in 2008 for robbing a pizza shop.

So...he robbed a place called Five Buck Pizza? Shit, man. Set your sights a little higher, huh?

• Like 7

So...he robbed a place called Five Buck Pizza? Shit, man. Set your sights a little higher, huh?

Sorry to bury the lede, but they caught him because he USED TO WORK THERE

• Like 5

I'm dying to know who wins Cam Bert's mother chooses for the TNH award....In the mean time, does anyone want to take a stab at which High School Musical characters we all are?

Rugby was never the biggest game at my school (that would be Australian Rules Football, for realz) so I never got the Wildcat treatment, but as a Varsity rugby player and Captain of Drama, I would definitely be Troy in the HSM universe.

Time-He-Seamlessly-Melds-Sports-Music.gif

Yeah go ahead and roll your eyes tom and Cameron

Of course my reality was the drama kids mistrusted me because they thought I was a jock

the rugby guys mistrusted me because I was a "drama fag" (sic)

High school was NEAT

• Like 7

Rugby was never the biggest game at my school (that would be Australian Rules Football, for realz) so I never got the Wildcat treatment, but as a Varsity rugby player and Captain of Drama, I would definitely be Troy in the HSM universe.

Of course my reality was the drama kids mistrusted me because they thought I was a jock

High school was NEAT

Ha! How'd you know I was looking for the perfect gif to express my incredulity? Lol

• Like 5

High school was NEAT

I cackled so hard.

• Like 7

Haha, EternalSammich was reading comments to me out loud while I was driving. It's like my own personal podcast lol

To add in my own opinion on Sharpay's "popularity", she reminded me of the students I'd refer to in late 90s high school as "preps". The ones who were stuck up and thought they were hot shit, but weren't actually popular. They wouldn't think twice about being a bitch to someone they didn't like, and thought they were funny in the process. Though Sharpay isn't nearly as cruel as the couple I had the displeasure of being at odds with. I was already in college when HSM came out, so I don't know if that stereotype was still a thing or not in 2006.

• Like 6

Ugh no the second one was the worst! The literal only good thing to come out of that was this scene -

8f5713ff6992724eca85d6cbd697f20a.gif

Okay. This scene is fucking bonkers.

For those of you who didn't subject yourselves to 3.5 more hours of HSM last night, the whole point of HSM 2 is that the Wildcats all go to work at this country club where Sharpay's family are revered members. They hold an annual talent show, and of course, Sharpay schemes to keep the rest of the Wildcats from performing so that she can win.

This scene is right after Troy finds out about her scheme. He's in the kitchen of the country club with all the rest of the Wildcats (who currently hate him for a bunch of petty-ass reasons). Kelsi - the underrated lifeblood of these movies - tells him about the scheme, and he storms out of the kitchen.

I totally thought the next scene was going to be him confronting her, but instead, he goes to the golf course and does a long angry dance song.

I couldn't stop laughing. It's definitely the best part of the movie.

(Also, "Petty-Ass Reasons" would be a good alternate title for this series)

• Like 6

High school was NEAT

How CakeBoogie sees himself...

635775901101789791188296791_back%20on%20campus.gif

When-He-Thrusts-His-Hips-All-Over.gif

It's aggressive and disturbing.

• Like 7

You get me.

tumblr_mmy77o3rdb1qzcqz8o1_500.gif

• Like 8

Okay. This scene is fucking bonkers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk9yEyO9djg

I couldn't stop laughing. It's definitely the best part of the movie.

(Also, "Petty-Ass Reasons" would be a good alternate title for this series)

I was not going to watch the others, but I may have to now...

• Like 6

I was not going to watch the others, but I may have to now...

The second one is on Netflix, and I actually found it enjoyable. So much of it isn't based entirely around Troy and Gabriella's relationship, which is the most annoying part of these (but, to make up for it, almost ALL of 3 is about them).

• Like 7

Don't be mad, just because we all know that you're absolutely, without any doubt whatsoever, this forum's...

chad.gif

It means we're BFFs, bro!

• Like 5

Okay a few random thoughts on things.

- re:Popularity of Sharpay. I don't have much more to add to this but I'm with the group that thinks she wasn't popular or one of the cool kids. First off, no matter how good at musical theater you are nobody in a school that has giant walls dedicated to their basketball team would care. Second, her drive to be the star of all theater productions and mocking of the kids trying out leads me to believe that not even the other theater kids would like her. She probably doesn't care though because in her mind she's already a star and she's going to go and become famous and show them all.

-I think I sadly would be Gabriella. Reading books at New Years parties, correcting teachers, being perused to join the academic decathlon team, general interest in theater, yep that's high school me pretty much.

-To cut a long story short, my sister just had a baby and the father is no longer in the picture so my mom has been busy helping her out. That's why no TNH award for Pete's Dragon yet. I'm keeping a running list and when she has time I'm sure she'll love nothing more than playing catch-up and awarding winners. That was not sarcasm either.

• Like 7

Don't be mad, just because we all know that you're absolutely, without any doubt whatsoever, this forum's...

chad.gif

It means we're BFFs, bro!

I get what you're saying, but...no. I'm nobody's second banana!

j/k "We're soaring!"

zac-2.gif

• Like 5

Since I'm not going to be watching Fate and the Furious, I'm really glad High School Musical 2 is on Netflix...;)

Thanks for the head's up, Fister!

• Like 6

Since I'm not going to be watching Fate and the Furious, I'm really glad High School Musical 2 is on Netflix... ;)

Thanks for the head's up, Fister!

I might have misread Fister's letterboxd review as I skimmed quickly, but I'm pretty sure he said that he thinks HSM2 is better than FF8. That's right, right? ;)

• Like 4

I might have misread Fister's letterboxd review as I skimmed quickly, but I'm pretty sure he said that he thinks HSM2 is better than FF8. That's right, right? ;)/>

tumblr_inline_mjvsqcx8Oo1qz4rgp.gif

• Like 5

I might have misread Fister's letterboxd review as I skimmed quickly, but I'm pretty sure he said that he thinks HSM2 is better than FF8. That's right, right? ;)

tumblr_inline_mjvsqcx8Oo1qz4rgp.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 6

High school was NEAT

I think you far overestimate yourself. We all know you're really...

tumblr_inline_o1znsiuKWW1t4bchn_500.gif

• Like 7

Question for the growing number of people who watched the sequels, does Chad ever sing?

I spent most of this musical waiting for him to sing. I mean he's right there on the poster and everything. Or was he brought on for his charm, basketball prowess and dance skills?

• Like 3

Question for the growing number of people who watched the sequels, does Chad ever sing?

I spent most of this musical waiting for him to sing. I mean he's right there on the poster and everything. Or was he brought on for his charm, basketball prowess and dance skills?

It's been years since I watched it, but he sings the "Boys are Back" w/ Efron in the third one. Not sure if there are any other examples...

• Like 4

I don't remember this sort of division of cliques and groups in schools being as prevalent in teen comedies in the 80s and 90s and didn't really start noticing it in movies until the late 90s and 00s (She's All That/Never Been Kissed, Mean Girls, etc). Maybe it's a case of the snake eating it's own tail. Kids saw it in the movies, so they started dividing up, which is reinforced by seeing it in the movies, which does it more as the kids who expirenced it go to Hollywood.

I think we're roughly the same age.

I went to a large suburban high school (class of roughly 400 students). Cliques were rampant. Even the design of the school promoted it: there was a main hallway that ran the entire length of the school, painted in different colors to represent the different "houses". Everyone was given a house, but who hanged out where was largely a force of self-segregation. And they existed just as strongly in my older brother's day, so I don't think it was anything caused by outside influence.

• Like 5

Yes, he sings in the second one. Not too bad, I would say.

• Like 5