🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 10 High School Musical 1 & 2...maybe 3

Similarly, Gabriella's mother is bumped from job to job, which suggests that she's doing it tough, but they're at this fancy place too. Why are they there? Is this really the best way to acclimatise to a new state? Go skiing?

I can't explain Troy's family, but I had assumed that Gabriella's mom was working there? And then she got the night off to celebrate?

• Like 4

I can't explain Troy's family, but I had assumed that Gabriella's mom was working there? And then she got the night off to celebrate?

At some point in the movie, her mom says that they promised not to transfer her again until Gabriella finishes school. I wish I knew what her constantly moving job was. Seems pseudo military with all the moving.

Also - at the ski resort - there were SO many teens there. I've never been to a 'kids party' at a resort, but I would assume it would include younger kids and also not as many teens. How many people were staying at this resort?

I've also never been forced to sing karaoke at a party with strangers but that's neither here nor there.

• Like 5

That rings a bell - but if she works at the ski lodge, why don't they ever go back there? And if she's being moved from job to job that assumes that she has some kind of executive position (rather than being a cleaning lady), so does she work for the chain? And how does she have the authority to promise her daughter they won't move again? When my dad was in the military, we moved every two years, and the only way he could ensure we didn't move again (so my sister and I could go to the same high school all the way through) was to retire. He had to frickin' retire! Companies don't care about promises you made your kid!

• Like 5

At some point in the movie, her mom says that they promised not to transfer her again until Gabriella finishes school. I wish I knew what her constantly moving job was. Seems pseudo military with all the moving.

Also - at the ski resort - there were SO many teens there. I've never been to a 'kids party' at a resort, but I would assume it would include younger kids and also not as many teens. How many people were staying at this resort?

I've also never been forced to sing karaoke at a party with strangers but that's neither here nor there.

That reminds me - here's an article that I meant to post above about the new years' party. The writer is very bitter that she never met a Troy at her ski lodge.

https://ohmy.disney.com/movies/2016/12/30/that-high-school-musical-new-years-eve-scene-is-so-perfect-it-ruined-new-years-eve-for-me/

• Like 5

Having only seen HSM1, I just assumed Gabriela's mom worked for like a company that was moving her up the food chain so to speak and each move up the corporate ladder required a move. Therefore she could promise not to transfer again by just denying the next promotion offered (although that might end up getting her stuck in Albuquerque. So Gabriela is being selfish by denying her mom the chance to be promoted simply so she can finish high school in the same school ;) Her mom seemed very well put together).

Maybe Troy's family bought a house they couldn't really afford and due to the housing crash, that's why Troy had to get a scholarship?

I can't explain the ski lodge stuff. The teen party seems to exist only in a Disney world.

• Like 5

HSM1 - so the entire musical is Kelsi's brainchild right? How come she doesn't get a say in the audition process? As the creator of all the characters and songs, shouldn't she have some input? Also, what is Ms Darbus' role? Is she the director?

• Like 7

HSM1 - so the entire musical is Kelsi's brainchild right? How come she doesn't get a say in the audition process? As the creator of all the characters and songs, shouldn't she have some input? Also, what is Ms Darbus' role? Is she the director?

In the hierarchy, the director (Darbus) has the ultimate say - the MD (Kelsi) would have input but would be overruled. The only point at which Kelsi appears to have any power (and when Darbus acknowledges how necessary she is) is when bowler hat Kelsi has run off after Darbus says Troybriella isn't allowed to audition, and when they say 'oh well, there can be no audition because we have no pianist,' and Kelsi's all,

636023798010074387-1008528147_636023788084754842160293737_kelsi-high-school-musical.gif

Hey. Why is Kelsi dressed for the opera to play piano at a callback audition?

• Like 6

Hey. Why is Kelsi dressed for the opera to play piano at a callback audition?

Because she's awesome. Duh.

• Like 6

Because she's awesome. Duh.

Oh you don't need to convince me of that. I'm Team Kelsi all. day. long.

But I would get it if it was opening night, but it's just a dumb callback randomly scheduled for after school one day.

I guess she's dressing for the kind of person she wants to be. Visualise that success, Kelsi!

• Like 7

Oh you don't need to convince me of that. I'm Team Kelsi all. day. long.

But I would get it if it was opening night, but it's just a dumb callback randomly scheduled for after school one day.

I guess she's dressing for the kind of person she wants to be. Visualise that success, Kelsi!

I wish this was how they had her dress for the rest of the series.

• Like 8

IF Kelsi is the MD she would have some input, when I was co-directing Legally Blonde, we had two directors (I was credited as co-director and gave input on the acting process, but viewed myself as more technical director, particularly when we got out of the rehearsal rooms and on the stage, using lights, props, etc) and a musical director. When it came to casting, the three of us sat at Applebees, ate half price appetizers and drank and went over everyone who auditioned, giving our suggestions. I argued pretty strong for one particular actress for Elle but was outvoted.

I didn't get the impression Kelsi was the MD, but just the "writer" and as a playwright, I can tell you, some directors (and Darbus--or D'Arts in Argentina!--seems like one of these) are like "fuck the writer, I have MY vision". So, I could see Darbus just steamrolling poor Kelsi.

• Like 3

IF Kelsi is the MD she would have some input, when I was co-directing Legally Blonde, we had two directors (I was credited as co-director and gave input on the acting process, but viewed myself as more technical director, particularly when we got out of the rehearsal rooms and on the stage, using lights, props, etc) and a musical director. When it came to casting, the three of us sat at Applebees, ate half price appetizers and drank and went over everyone who auditioned, giving our suggestions. I argued pretty strong for one particular actress for Elle but was outvoted.

I didn't get the impression Kelsi was the MD, but just the "writer" and as a playwright, I can tell you, some directors (and Darbus--or D'Arts in Argentina!--seems like one of these) are like "fuck the writer, I have MY vision". So, I could see Darbus just steamrolling poor Kelsi.

Do you live in Wilmington, Delaware? Our local theater premieres Legally Blonde tonight.

• Like 6

IF Kelsi is the MD she would have some input,

Well of course she's the MD, she spends inordinate amounts of time rehearsing with Troy and Gabriella outside of the ordinary rehearsal time, which is exactly the MD's job. In later films she conducts the orchestra and assigns all of the singing parts, and unless you have a director who is also the MD (quite rare and never advisable), a musical simply can't happen without an MD. What's more, the MD would have more than just some input - when it comes to the music, the director doesn't really get a say.

• Like 2

Well of course she's the MD, she spends inordinate amounts of time rehearsing with Troy and Gabriella outside of the ordinary rehearsal time

maybe she's just a good friend! None of them deserve a Kelsi in their lives..

• Like 5

Do you live in Wilmington, Delaware? Our local theater premieres Legally Blonde tonight.

I wish! I love that show so much.

Well of course she's the MD, she spends inordinate amounts of time rehearsing with Troy and Gabriella outside of the ordinary rehearsal time, which is exactly the MD's job. In later films she conducts the orchestra and assigns all of the singing parts, and unless you have a director who is also the MD (quite rare and never advisable), a musical simply can't happen without an MD. What's more, the MD would have more than just some input - when it comes to the music, the director doesn't really get a say.

I was just basing it off the first film, and she just seemed to be there, but I suppose yeah she probably is the MD, but Darbus seems the kind of director who doesn't care about titles and does what she wants.

ETA: I did OKLAHOMA! with a director who was also our MD. It was a great show, but so weird to not be working with a dedicated MD. He kind of gave us free reign on some of the stage directing. I was playing Ali Hakim and asked "do you want me entering here or there" and he told me "wherever".

Also it's possible that Darbus wouldn't credit Kelsi as the MD. Same production of Oklahoma! I did all the fight choreography and some sound design and didn't get credited. (of course this same company misspelled either Rodgers or Hammerstein's name on the program.)

• Like 2

You love it so much you'd be willing to move to Delaware? It must be good ;)

• Like 3

I was just basing it off the first film, and she just seemed to be there, but I suppose yeah she probably is the MD, but Darbus seems the kind of director who doesn't care about titles and does what she wants.

ETA: I did OKLAHOMA! with a director who was also our MD. It was a great show, but so weird to not be working with a dedicated MD. He kind of gave us free reign on some of the stage directing. I was playing Ali Hakim and asked "do you want me entering here or there" and he told me "wherever".

Also it's possible that Darbus wouldn't credit Kelsi as the MD. Same production of Oklahoma! I did all the fight choreography and some sound design and didn't get credited. (of course this same company misspelled either Rodgers or Hammerstein's name on the program.)

I hear all this, but to not credit the MD is very different to not crediting the fight choreographer. You simply can't have a musical without one, and while I'm glad your experience on 'Oklahoma' was good, that process sounds stunningly horrible. There are always constraints which mean people can't give their all to a role, but 'whatevering' an actor's entrance is ... oof.

My main contention that Kelsi is the MD is that Ms Darbus never shows any interest or aptitude in music, so if she wants a musical, she needs an MD.

This also means that in HSM 4, with Kelsi going off to Julliard, East Side High's musical (co-directed by Sharpay and starring Tiara Gold) is FUCKED. Who will play the music? WHO?

• Like 1

You love it so much you'd be willing to move to Delaware? It must be good ;)

I hate Kansas that much ;)

I hear all this, but to not credit the MD is very different to not crediting the fight choreographer. You simply can't have a musical without one, and while I'm glad your experience on 'Oklahoma' was good, that process sounds stunningly horrible. There are always constraints which mean people can't give their all to a role, but 'whatevering' an actor's entrance is ... oof.

Yeah, that part sucked, but I at that point I realized I was pretty much the most expirenced actor in the company so I did me and worked with my co-actors. I pretty much did the whole Persian Goodbye/Oklahoma Hello on my own. Ah, community theater :D

My main contention that Kelsi is the MD is that Ms Darbus never shows any interest or aptitude in music, so if she wants a musical, she needs an MD.

This also means that in HSM 4, with Kelsi going off to Julliard, East Side High's musical (co-directed by Sharpay and starring Tiara Gold) is FUCKED. Who will play the music? WHO?

Good point, I do think Kelsi is the MD in actions, I just don't know if Darbus would credit her or credit her correctly. This DRAMA TEACHER mispronounces "musical" for crying out loud. She is building sets with kids from detention before casting has even started. What if the person she casts is shorter then that balcony set piece or the tree and can't see out of it? She reminds me of a High School director I saw once who referred to blocking as "choreography" and the sets as "props".

• Like 4

ETA: The same theater did HSM last September. Coincidence? I think NOT!

• Like 3

This might be what hell is like. For the second Friday night in a row, my kids chose to watch... High School Musical 1.

I'll post as I go.

Okay, in the ski lodge, Troy's mom says "did we fly all the way here to play basketball", which suggests that this is far from Albuquerque. This means that Troy's family is vacationing in Gabriella's old home town. That's bananas.

Also, the way that Troy and Gabriella met in the karaoke with the most heavy-handed lyrics ever ('this could be the start of something new', as they start something new) was 100% due to the random choice of a follow-spot operator. They're looking for someone to sing, and they're picked only because two follow-spots randomly fall on them.

• Like 3

This might be what hell is like. For the second Friday night in a row, my kids chose to watch... High School Musical 1.

I'll post as I go.

Okay, in the ski lodge, Troy's mom says "did we fly all the way here to play basketball", which suggests that this is far from Albuquerque. This means that Troy's family is vacationing in Gabriella's old home town. That's bananas.

Also, the way that Troy and Gabriella met in the karaoke with the most heavy-handed lyrics ever ('this could be the start of something new', as they start something new) was 100% due to the random choice of a follow-spot operator. They're looking for someone to sing, and they're picked only because two follow-spots randomly fall on them.

I'm sorry. I thought Gabriella was on vacation, too. Did I miss something?

• Like 2

I'm sorry. I thought Gabriella was on vacation, too. Did I miss something?

There was some suggestion the Gabriella's mom worked at the lodge, but not sure that can be supported. It's more to do with the fact that they are far enough away from Abq that they have to fly there, and if Gabriella is on vacation too that makes it even more outlandish, since Gabriella has only just moved to New Mexico. So why is Gabriella on a vacation in a completely other place a week before starting at a new school?

• Like 3

Okay, here we go. The newspaper article that Sharpay prints out to show the school that Gabriella has a, like, past or something shows her last school to be in San Diego. Which makes it even more bananas that she's at a random ski resort with her future boyfriend.

• Like 4

There was some suggestion the Gabriella's mom worked at the lodge, but not sure that can be supported. It's more to do with the fact that they are far enough away from Abq that they have to fly there, and if Gabriella is on vacation too that makes it even more outlandish, since Gabriella has only just moved to New Mexico. So why is Gabriella on a vacation in a completely other place a week before starting at a new school?

Why can't she be on vacation? It's Winter Break. I don't think that's unreasonable, especially if you have the means to do it. You pay the movers while you're away, and when you get back, your house is set up.

I guess I just don't have a problem with the fact that they end up at the same school. True story: I met a girl a long time ago. When we first met, we connected based on the fact we had lived in the same town (different from the place we met) and had the same guitar teacher. We lost connection, but ended up at the same college (same state, different city). We lost touch again. I moved to a small town in a different state. One day, I'm passing the frozen section of my local grocery store and who should I run into...

Turns out, she had moved here with her husband after college. This is like a one in a billion coincidence! Turns out my little town was exactly halfway between her work and his family.

My point is, that happened in real life! That's fucking weird. So I can buy they both ended up at the same (very popular) family ski resort.

• Like 4

Why can't she be on vacation? It's Winter Break. I don't think that's unreasonable, especially if you have the means to do it. You pay the movers while you're away, and when you get back, your house is set up.

I guess I just don't have a problem with the fact that they end up at the same school. True story: I met a girl a long time ago. When we first met, we connected based on the fact we had lived in the same town (different from the place we met) and had the same guitar teacher. We lost connection, but ended up at the same college (same state, different city). We lost touch again. I moved to a small town in a different state. One day, I'm passing the frozen section of my local grocery store and who should I run into...

Turns out, she had moved here with her husband after college. This is like a one in a billion coincidence! Turns out my little town was exactly halfway between her work and his family.

My point is, that happened in real life! That's fucking weird. So I can buy they both ended up at the same (very popular) family ski resort.

No, I know that it can happen. I just don't get why they had to be at a third location entirely. Why not make it a 'Summer Nights' thing where they meet in Albuquerque over the break? And I should say that, yes, I 'get' it, I just wonder what the point of over-complicating it is.

• Like 3