🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 10 High School Musical 1 & 2...maybe 3

Have you ever been to Utah? It's the worst.

Worse than Nebraska?

• Like 2

Worse than Nebraska?

I avoided Nebraska. I was driving out of California. I want to say Nevada (boring) and Missouri (dirty) were pretty terrible, though.

• Like 2

The class in which Gabriella corrects the teachers appears to be a math class, yet they are clearly in a science room. Also, theater class has an actual classroom and they don't use the theater? All my theater classes at school were in the theater.

• Like 2

The class in which Gabriella corrects the teachers appears to be a math class, yet they are clearly in a science room. Also, theater class has an actual classroom and they don't use the theater? All my theater classes at school were in the theater.

tyx9emw.gif

• Like 5

Plus, all 3 were shot it in Utah. Why not just say they live in Utah?

Would Sharpay be easier or harder to justify if she was Mormon?

• Like 4

So Martha is part of the smart kids, right? Now there are some obvious issues around her love of hip hop not fitting with the stereotype of smart kid, but rather I want to talk about her fellow brainiacs. Why isn't Taylor part of this group? Also why aren't any of these kids on the decathlon team at the end? These are just the kids that are smart and like studying but weren't good enough to make the team? They had an opening because Gabriella got on.

• Like 3

In case anyone's wondering, or new enough to the boards to not remember this in real time, here is the mind-blowing forum thread that we are on the verge of overtaking as largest in history. Anyone feel like reading this through for the first time? I did months ago, it's a doozie.

http://forum.earwolf.com/topic/32740-episode-134-cant-stop-the-music-live/

For those of you who were here back then: I'm sorry to bring it up again.

• Like 2

I think it would help explain the weird closeting of Ryan.

• Like 4

So Martha is part of the smart kids, right? Now there are some obvious issues around her love of hip hop not fitting with the stereotype of smart kid, but rather I want to talk about her fellow brainiacs. Why isn't Taylor part of this group? Also why aren't any of these kids on the decathlon team at the end? These are just the kids that are smart and like studying but weren't good enough to make the team? They had an opening because Gabriella got on.

I think in this universe they separate the geniuses and the nerds. The geniuses are essentially alphas in white coats, the nerds are socially awkward. Taylor's the judgiest one of the lot right off the top, I don't think Martha's crew have the brains to roll with the genius crew.

• Like 4

I think in this universe they separate the geniuses and the nerds. The geniuses are essentially alphas in white coats, the nerds are socially awkward. Taylor's the judgiest one of the lot right off the top, I don't think Martha's crew have the brains to roll with the genius crew.

So when Martha moves on and becomes a cheerleader in the later films has she given up on her academic passions?

• Like 3

Easier.

• Like 4

(I apologize if I repeating, I forget all what has been said and just going through the last of my notes)

Troy's dad is a terrible coach, right? I mean the only person we see him coaching is Troy. Outside of that where is he during the practices? Nowhere to be found. When the players want to know what to do at practice who do they ask? Troy not him. If you just go to the gym and makes shots or practice shooting outside the J, without some one standing there giving you advice on how to improve your technique or form, i.e. coaching, how are you expected to get better or beat the Knights?

• Like 4

(I apologize if I repeating, I forget all what has been said and just going through the last of my notes)

Troy's dad is a terrible coach, right? I mean the only person we see him coaching is Troy. Outside of that where is he during the practices? Nowhere to be found. When the players want to know what to do at practice who do they ask? Troy not him. If you just go to the gym and makes shots or practice shooting outside the J, without some one standing there giving you advice on how to improve your technique or form, i.e. coaching, how are you expected to get better or beat the Knights?

Plus he doesn't seem to also teach Physical Education, so he must be one of those highly salaried high school basketball coaches they've got over there in New Mexico. I agree: he appears to be a terrible coach, with no control over his team whatsoever.

• Like 4

Plus he doesn't seem to also teach Physical Education, so he must be one of those highly salaried high school basketball coaches they've got over there in New Mexico. I agree: he appears to be a terrible coach, with no control over his team whatsoever.

I think we've done a good job establishing it is the mother in Troy's family who is the bread earner. This combined with your point about him not teaching makes me wonder if he volunteer to coach the basketball team just to get out of the house. I mean how could East High refuse their former star player offering to come back and coach right?

• Like 3

Hey, CakeBug, take a look at this...

giphy.gif

I named him The Can't Stop the Music Thread.

• Like 2

I think we've done a good job establishing it is the mother in Troy's family who is the bread earner. This combined with your point about him not teaching makes me wonder if he volunteer to coach the basketball team just to get out of the house. I mean how could East High refuse their former star player offering to come back and coach right?

Except he seems to have his own office, unless that's just one he shares with the other coaches. And he calls Ms. Darbus derisively by her last name, as if she's a peer. I think if he was something else, he's either a real estate agent or a freelance writer who 'works' all day in Starbucks.

• Like 4

Hey, CakeBug, take a look at this...

giphy.gif

I named him The Can't Stop the Music Thread.

He's looming, looming on the horizon, cap'n.

ETA - you just reminded me how much I fuckin' love Moby-Dick. So much.

• Like 2

ETA - you just reminded me how much I fuckin' love Moby-Dick. So much.

That's what I like best about you. ;)

• Like 1

Except he seems to have his own office, unless that's just one he shares with the other coaches. And he calls Ms. Darbus derisively by her last name, as if she's a peer. I think if he was something else, he's either a real estate agent or a freelance writer who 'works' all day in Starbucks.

What if he refers to her by her last name because she was a teacher when he was a student there and old habits are hard to break?

Also if his office is in with the showers and changing area how is Ms. Darbus able to freely walk in there?

• Like 4

That's what I like best about you. ;)

You could pick just one thing? Aw.

Seriously though, that second last chapter where Ahab finally gets at the whale? I never thought I would read a 160 year old book with my mouth gaping open and with sweat on my brow. Beautiful, beautiful action writing.

• Like 1

Is NM a big basketball state? Where high schools would pay a big salary to a coach?

I know this isnt always the case, but from what I've seen / heard of most of the time for coaching a semester of a sport or like outside instructors for marching band, etc...they are paid a stipend for the semester of coaching/teaching etc. And usually stipend coaches dont get that much for the semester.

I know it's not always how its done.. but if East High is just a regular public school I would assume he's not making a lot of $$$ from being the basketball coach.

• Like 3

Is NM a big basketball state? Where high schools would pay a big salary to a coach?

I know this isnt always the case, but from what I've seen / heard of most of the time for coaching a semester of a sport or like outside instructors for marching band, etc...they are paid a stipend for the semester of coaching/teaching etc. And usually stipend coaches dont get that much for the semester.

Yeah I was mostly joking about the coach salary thing. I mean, HS football coaches make a good living in places like Texas, but that's an exception. Most don't get paid for extracurriculars, they get paid to teach and the coaching stuff is 'service'. My wife's a music teacher but because she's in an alternative school she doesn't have to do things like band and orchestra: if she was in a mainstream school she'd have to do all that (including the school play) out of the goodness of her heart.

There's no way Troy's dad isn't the gym teacher too. No way.

• Like 4

You could pick just one thing? Aw

Nah, what I like most about you is your innocence at missing my very immature dick joke.

But, yeah, Moby Dick is a great novel :)/>

• Like 2