🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 10 High School Musical 1 & 2...maybe 3

I know you've all moved onto HSM 2 and 3, but I want to quickly go backwards to the decathlon in HSM 1 - what could they have possibly snuck into the classroom that caused them to evacuate immediately? It also seemed odd that not only were they able to be on their computer during the competition but also set up a beaker with a bunsen burner that no one seemed to be near.

Also - did anyone find it weirdly brutal of Taylor to break Gabriella's heart - the girl is in tears - and she's causally just asking her if she wants to go to lunch? They've known each other what, a week?

Great point!

I also liked in the "getting shit done" montage (i. e. They're practicing for the auditions and maintaining their current activities), Gabriella tells the decathlon members, "Put 5 grams of this in..." and points to a beaker. Could you she more vague? Hey, screenwriter, how's about cracking open the old Wikipedia and finding us something that sounds at least a little bit science-y?

ETA: I believe she's also reading the instructions out of a book, so I don't know why she's telling anyone what to do. Read the book, nerds.

• Like 7

ETA: I believe she's also reading the instructions out of a book, so I don't know why she's telling anyone what to do. Read the book, nerds.

To be fair, Hermione did that for all of the Harry Potter books and movies, and it was more than anyone else was willing to fucking do.

• Like 3

People being called nerds makes me laugh every time.

• Like 4

People being called nerds makes me laugh every time.

I like it best in text format like this because I can read it in Jason's voice.

• Like 3

To be fair, Hermione did that for all of the Harry Potter books and movies, and it was more than anyone else was willing to fucking do.

But Ron and Harry weren't exactly academics.

• Like 4

Can I talk about how terrible a drama teacher Ms. Darbus is?

1. She gives detentions to people for OWNING cell phones.

2. She has a throne in her drama classroom and everyone sits at desks. WHY DO YOU NEED DESKS IN A DRAMA CLASSROOM?

3. She has (as we've discussed) the world's worst audition process.

4. Her punctuality policy, while laudable, seems self-sabotaging.

5. She pulls awful faces while kids sing in auditions. Jesus Christ, lady.

6. She willfully mispronounces words as though it's fancy or something but it's just wrong. No one, nowhere says 'musiCALLE'.

7. She expects so much of poor Kelsi, who's minutes from a nervous breakdown at 16, and mostly she gets walked all over.

8. Worst of all, when she gets kids to come for detention, she's not running detention, she's running backstage slavery camp. Kids with no experience at all in set design are being asked to carve sets, paint backdrops, and are left to their own devices to fiddle as they will. This is not only ridiculously wasteful it's also dangerous, to have that many projects on the go at once.

78045a5876ff387d9f1a0d73bbf552ef.jpg

Pictured: something the kids made on their own initiative.

• Like 5

But Ron and Harry weren't exactly academics.

yea, Gabriella was surrounded by Decathalon nerds

• Like 4

Can I talk about how terrible a drama teacher Ms. Darbus is?

9. She refuses to use any sports terminology like "team" or "practice"

10. Her students easily convince her to change the time of her auditions, which leads me to believe they've pulled crap like that before. Meaning she's very easily manipulated.

Also - how impressive is it that Troy can hang out in that tree? I would not trust a student made prop to hang out in

• Like 5

1. She gives detentions to people for OWNING cell phones.

For having them out after the bell. I got my phone taken twice for having it out in high school lol. We didn't straight up get detention but we did have to pay the school $15 to get it back. Seems wildly inappropriate to me.

• Like 6

For having them out after the bell. I got my phone taken twice for having it out in high school lol. We didn't straight up get detention but we did have to pay the school $15 to get it back. Seems wildly inappropriate to me.

Speaking of which - kind of a dick move on Troy's part to get Gabriella thrown into detention on her first day. No way he didn't know that it would lead there.

• Like 6

10. Her students easily convince her to change the time of her auditions, which leads me to believe they've pulled crap like that before. Meaning she's very easily manipulated.

Yeah I didn't get that.. didn't she say something like "oh well if this day/time works out better for everyone"... she didn't even check if it really did. She just goes off what Sharpay/Ryan said.

If she is that easily manipulated, Troy & Gabriella should have manipulated her to change it back?

The very least just try to ask Ms. Darbus to change it back or do a different day all together.

• Like 4

Yeah I didn't get that.. didn't she say something like "oh well if this day/time works out better for everyone"... she didn't even check if it really did. She just goes off what Sharpay/Ryan said.

If she is that easily manipulated, Troy & Gabriella should have manipulated her to change it back?

The very least just try to ask Ms. Darbus to change it back or do a different day all together.

Well, she's under the impression (because of Sharpay) that they're only auditioning as a joke or something. The idea, I think, is to force them to pick one activity over the other--which is still BS. Even if she thinks that MIGHT be the case, she should look into it herself first. Or, better yet, be a fucking adult and talk to Troy and Gabriella and figure out what's up.

• Like 5

Well, she's under the impression (because of Sharpay) that they're only auditioning as a joke or something. The idea, I think, is to force them to pick one activity over the other--which is still BS. Even if she thinks that MIGHT be the case, she should look into it herself first. Or, better yet, be a fucking adult and talk to Troy and Gabriella and figure out what's up.

The weird thing is they never actually auditioned. She told them no, they were disappointed but fine with it, then they just jammed with Kelsi and she gave them a call back.

• Like 6

Darbus's stage set scattered with in-progress props and set pieces of course brings us immediately in mind of...

• Like 3

The weird thing is they never actually auditioned. She told them no, they were disappointed but fine with it, then they just jammed with Kelsi and she gave them a call back.

My understanding is that this is 100% accurate to theater protocol.

Right, Cakebug?

• Like 6

My understanding is that this is 100% accurate to theater protocol.

Right, Cakebug?

That's how it works. Universally. Nailed it.

• Like 7

If she thinks they're joking then just give the roles to Sharpay & Ryan...or yeah you're right, be an adult and ask them herself.

but the "audition" song both pairs sing--- I like Sharpay & Ryan's version better tbh..

(I listened to some of the songs on Spotify yesterday, since most of them I forgot as soon as they were over in the movies--minus a couple)

ETA: also want to point out I have incorporated MM songs in my spotify playlist. My bf/friends/family/any passengers I have in my car now think I am insane.

• Like 5

ETA: also want to point out I have incorporated MM songs in my spotify playlist. My bf/friends/family/any passengers I have in my car now think I am insane.

I hope that includes all three HSMs...

• Like 3

Wow! Y'all been busy in here.

I went to watch HSM2 last night only to discover it's no longer on Netflix here and only 3 is available streaming elsewhere. This now means my only other option is the send away for for them which means I'm out on any sequel discussions for at least three to four days. Seems like you have it all pretty much covered though.

• Like 5

Wow! Y'all been busy in here.

I went to watch HSM2 last night only to discover it's no longer on Netflix here and only 3 is available streaming elsewhere. This now means my only other option is the send away for for them which means I'm out on any sequel discussions for at least three to four days. Seems like you have it all pretty much covered though.

It's really not worth it. The first one is the only decent one. Two is just like a very special episode of a sitcom. The HSM mythos is not enriched by its inclusion. In fact, Troy basically says, "I'm over all that singing crap. Everything that happened in the first movie? That means absolutely nothing to me."

• Like 3

It's really not worth it. The first one is the only decent one. Two is just like a very special episode of a sitcom. The HSM mythos is not enriched by its inclusion. In fact, Troy basically says, "I'm over all that singing crap. Everything that happened in the first movie? That means absolutely nothing to me."

Everything? Even his budding romance with Gabriella? What a dick.

• Like 4

Everything? Even his budding romance with Gabriella? What a dick.

Don't listen to Cameron H., he has lost all sense of joy and wonder.

did-somebody-hurt.jpg

• Like 5

Don't listen to Cameron H., he has lost all sense of joy and wonder.

43.jpg

Seriously, though. Don't feel obligated to watch it. If you want to, then that's on you. :)

• Like 3

Seriously, though. Don't feel obligated to watch it. If you want to BE ABLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE REST OF THE CONVERSATION, then that's on you. :)

updated

• Like 4