🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 10 High School Musical 1 & 2...maybe 3

Also, HSM 4 is apparently in the works (although this article is over a year old):

http://www.mtv.com/n...ally-happening/

Seems to be a rift on West Side Story which in of itself is just a retelling of Romeo and Juliet. Shakespeare and HSM musical coming together? Is it CakeBug Trench's birthday?

• Like 4

According to IMDB it's somehow about them all in College and yet still not going to star a single one of the original cast but instead follow Ryan and Sharpay's cousin??? Ooookay.

• Like 4

According to IMDB it's somehow about them all in College and yet still not going to star a single one of the original cast but instead follow Ryan and Sharpay's cousin??? Ooookay.

I mean...they are all a bit old to even play college kids now. They're all 30ish now (except Taylor, who is 36).

Yep, that happens. I was the understudy for the entire male company for a production of 'Twelfth Night' with the Australian Shakespeare Company years ago. It meant learning every role from T to B, and only getting to go on for a week at the end of the run.

Oh wow. So...they got one thing right? :)

• Like 3

I mean...they are all a bit old to even play college kids now. They're all 30ish now (except Taylor, who is 36).

My comment was more to the lack of info from IMDB lol. How can it be the "College Years" but also follow an all new class of Wild Cats featuring the cousin???

• Like 4

So is it going to be, High School Musical: the College Years?

Because that makes no sense. Why not High School Musical: Reunion?

• Like 6

Maybe it's taking inspiration from Saved by the Bell

• Like 4

Oh wow. So...they got one thing right? :)

Understudies also rehearse more than anyone, rather than just learn the show by osmosis and go on with 30 seconds notice. So, not really. ;)

• Like 4

How long does it take to "write" a musical? Did Kelsi just whip one up in a few months?

• Like 6

How long does it take to "write" a musical? Did Kelsi just whip one up in a few months?

According to Lin - no

• Like 5

I wrote the outline of one in just a few minutes this morning. It's actually pretty easy if you have a good subject.

• Like 5

The podcast BROADWAY BACKSTORY gives some insight into this. Usually it isn't one person writing a show and can be done in a matter of months but can also take years.

From my persoective, although I don't write music or musicals, if properly inspired I can write a full length "straight play" in about a month with another month focused on rewrites. Then, while in rehearsals or during the casting process, I can and will often do further edits.

For example, my play #JohnDoe, when going to cast I was short a male actor but we had more then enough female actors, so in about a night I changed one character to a female (and a lesbian not knowing I had cast a lesbian in that role) and I think it actually works better.

• Like 3

According to Lin - no

I thinknhe workshopped and rewrote IN THE HEIGHTS over about 5 years. His original main character doesnt even appear in the final version.

I remeber seeing him perform the original Alexander Hamilton number at the White House Poetry slam. 4 or 5 years later Hamilton finally opened.

But Lin is a genius ;)

• Like 3

I feel like this musical is supposed to be Kelsi's magnum opus that she has worked on for years, which is why she's so protective of Sharpay and Ryan taking it over. But the summer after, she has a whole new musical, and in the third one, she comes up with a third, entirely based around a whim that Ms. Darbus has, that the musical will be autobiographical all about the cast. She's seriously prolific. Question is, what musical did they do the year before (when Sharpay would have been a sophomore)? Surely 14 year old Kelsi's not writing the school musical then, but there's talk about what Sharpay and Ryan did the year before...

I ask again, WHERE ARE THE SENIORS? I wanted a 'Bring It On'-style influence from alumni at the school (and at the end of the third movie Sharpay is announced as the co-director of next year's school musical, so it happens). So many missed opportunities!

• Like 5

Here's a moment from the 2nd one...

At the end of the movie, Troy tells Sharpay that he can't perform with her because he's "part of the staff." He also tells her that he's resigned his cush position as Assistant Golf Instructor to work back in the kitchen with the rest of the Wildcats. Of course this is all a ploy for Sharpay to loosen her stranglehold on the staff so they'll be able to perform, which is why I found it hilarious that when Troy is introduced at the show it's as the "Assistant Golf Instructor." I guess all that talk giving up that job was just that, huh? Talk.

Also, Sharpay is introduced as his partner, but Gabriella is the one who sings with him. Don't you think Sharpay's parents, who know nothing of the BS drama going on, would be like, "Wait a second! Where the fuck is our daughter?"

• Like 7

Funny enough my mom came in while I was watching the last 20 minutes of this and one of her biggest questions seemed to be why there were ALWAYS so many people in the hallways at all times. When classes were supposed to be in session there was still a bunch of people at lockers, and then when we think school has been let out so that everyone can do these championship/call backs/decathlon shit there are still a million people walking around in the hallways like they are going to class.

I understand they need extras and shit but not for every damn shot!

• Like 4

Funny enough my mom came in while I was watching the last 20 minutes of this and one of her biggest questions seemed to be why there were ALWAYS so many people in the hallways at all times. When classes were supposed to be in session there was still a bunch of people at lockers, and then when we think school has been let out so that everyone can do these championship/call backs/decathlon shit there are still a million people walking around in the hallways like they are going to class.

Also, as Rifftrax points out, most scenes begin and end with a school bell ringing, even if the scene only lasts for a second.

• Like 4

In the third one, the cheeky kid Rocketman trails Troy to his classroom to tell him that he's too old and he can't wait til he's gone or something, and then the bell rings. ONE SECOND later, Rocketman says 'oh! tardy again!' and a teacher descends from the ceiling to grab him and write him up for being one second late for class. Rocketman says 'those guys are late too!', pointing to Troy and Gabriella, who are standing in the door frame of their classroom, so apparently that's grounds for punishment too. That teacher doesn't care, and throws the book at Rocketman.

Looks like they tightened up their hall monitors by the last one.

• Like 6

Also, as Rifftrax points out, most scenes begin and end with a school bell ringing, even if the scene only lasts for a second.

Which is EXACTLY the scene break trope that stupid 'Glee' used. Ryan Murphy's lying if he says he wasn't influenced by HSM.

• Like 4

Couple IMDB trivia points I thought were interesting for HSM 2:

Drew in a rating of 17.6 million viewers on its premiere night, making it not only the highest Disney Channel Original Movie in history, but the highest in cable history, even higher than NFL Monday Night Football (1970).
It took six days to film the "Bet On It" dance sequence.

worth it.

and then found out that Miley had a cameo in HSM2. In the end song "All for One".. Did anyone else notice? Maybe I wasn't paying that much attention at the end.

miley-cyrus-high-school-musical-2-cameo.jpg

• Like 6

and then found out that Miley had a cameo in HSM2. In the end song "All for One".. Did anyone else notice? Maybe I wasn't paying that much attention at the end.

miley-cyrus-high-school-musical-2-cameo.jpg

That makes the instagram post that she shared where she mistakenly thought Martha was played by Meghan Trainor even worse, since she was in the movie with her!

• Like 6

That makes the instagram post that she shared where she mistakenly thought Martha was played by Meghan Trainor even worse, since she was in the movie with her!

Oh I know... awkward..

• Like 7

I was thinking about the extras at the game - if it started at 3:30 (which is an insane time for a basketball game to start), did all of the Wildcats get out of class early for warm up? Did the other team take a half day for travel and their warm up as well? And did everyone just go from their last period class straight to the gym for the game?

• Like 5

Here's a question:

HSM2 starts just as summer vacation is about to start, but they're ALL in the drama teacher's class. In HSM I just figured it was homeroom, but she's actually teaching class in HSM 2 (Which is totally dick move, teach. It's not like they're going to be tested on any of this). I guess my point is, why are all these people who hate Musicals taking Drama as an elective? Why do they all seem to be taking the same classes all the time? Can they really not be apart for even an hour?

• Like 7

Can they really not be apart for even an hour?

No because they are in this together.

• Like 8

No because they are in this together.

tumblr_m4nikbnLH61r08oe3o1_500.gif

• Like 6