🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 10 High School Musical 1 & 2...maybe 3

Here's a question:

HSM2 starts just as summer vacation is about to start, but they're ALL in the drama teacher's class. In HSM I just figured it was homeroom, but she's actually teaching class in HSM 2 (Which is totally dick move, teach. It's not like they're going to be tested on any of this). I guess my point is, why are all these people who hate Musicals taking Drama as an elective? Why do they all seem to be taking the same classes all the time? Can they really not be apart for even an hour?

In HSM3, they reveal that the drama teacher's class is homeroom!

• Like 4

Do they have homeroom in the beginning and the end of the day? In the first one it seemed like it was in the morning and then #2 was the end of the day?

I never had a homeroom or a "free" period in HS... so I don't really know how it works.

but isn't homeroom essentially like a free period? And in the first HSM don't they have a free period too? How long are they at school everyday with so many homeroom & free periods?

• Like 5

No she straight up says it's homeroom in #1!

I never had a homeroom or "free" period in HS... so I don't really know how it works.

but isn't homeroom essentially kind of like a free period? And in the first HSM don't they have a free period too? How long are they at school everyday with so many homeroom & free periods?

We didn't have homeroom either but we did get free periods. In middle school we had a homeroom in the middle of the day before lunch and it was called "Advisory." Basically it was just a way to keep attendance and while we didn't learn anything we couldn't roam the school like you can in free period.

Also our free periods were called Flex and could only be used for the first or last period of the day. I had duel credit which essentially was my free period during senior year but my friends all had it during the last period of the day so they would leave, go to sonic, and return to choir practice with a diet coke for our teacher lol.

• Like 5

Do they have homeroom in the beginning and the end of the day? In the first one it seemed like it was in the morning and then #2 was the end of the day?

I never had a homeroom or a "free" period in HS... so I don't really know how it works.

but isn't homeroom essentially like a free period? And in the first HSM don't they have a free period too? How long are they at school everyday with so many homeroom & free periods?

That's what I mean. Homeroom for us was where you would congregate for maybe 20 mins at the beginning of the day. You might listen to or watch the morning announcements, but nothing is taught and you don't get to choose your homeroom. So I get why someone like Chad might be in there for homeroom. He wouldn't have a choice. But in HSM 2 they are counting down the clock to 3:10, and she's teaching a class. Why would Chad be there for that? If they were already taking Drama to begin with, why would it even be a thing if one of them wanted to perform?

Also, my phone keeps auto-correcting "Chad" to "Chas" as if that's the more well known name. I think my phone might be a WASP...

• Like 5

Also our free periods were called Flex and could only be used for the first or last period of the day. I had duel credit which essentially was my free period during senior year but my friends all had it during the last period of the day so they would leave, go to sonic, and return to choir practice with a diet coke for our teacher lol.

Ahh okay!

in my high school your senior year, you were allowed to have half days (as long as it worked out with your schedule and you had enough credits for graduating).

And we had "block days", with Mondays you'd go to all 6 of your classes (for like 50 mins). Tues/ Thurs would be just 1 2 & 3 (but be twice as long, so like 1 hour & 40mins in the 3 classes), and Wednesday/Friday be classes 4,5,6.

But since I was in band 2nd period it messed up me having a half day every day (like most of my friends). So I only had a half day every other day, but that was still pretty sweet.

• Like 5

My HS had a 15 minute homeroom. We also had free period. Our schedule was kind of confusing. We had 1/2/3/4 days and the period orders rotated, so that you might have period 1-2-3 before lunch on days 1/3 and then 2-3-1 on days 2/4. To this day, I have anxiety dreams about it. Anyway, if your free period fell right before or after lunch, then you could have an extra long lunch and if you/your friends had cars, you could go off campus for a nice lunch...at Wendy's.

• Like 6

That's what I mean. Homeroom for us was where you would congregate for maybe 20 mins at the beginning of the day. You might listen to or watch the morning announcements, but nothing is taught and you don't get to choose your homeroom. So I get why someone like Chad might be in there for homeroom. He wouldn't have a choice. But in HSM 2 they are counting down the clock to 3:10, and she's teaching a class. Why would Chad be there for that? If they were already taking Drama to begin with, why would it even be a thing if one of them wanted to perform?

Also, my phone keeps auto-correcting "Chad" to "Chas" as if that's the more well known name. I think my phone might be a WASP...

But it was the last day or school, right? Maybe it was a special day where you spend the entire time in homeroom.

• Like 4

My HS had a 15 minute homeroom. We also had free period. Our schedule was kind of confusing. We had 1/2/3/4 days and the period orders rotated, so that you might have period 1-2-3 before lunch on days 1/3 and then 2-3-1 on days 2/4. To this day, I have anxiety dreams about it. Anyway, if your free period fell right before or after lunch, then you could have an extra long lunch and if you/your friends had cars, you could go off campus for a nice lunch...at Wendy's.

We didn't have homeroom in high school, only in jr high. Our morning announcements were part of the first period. But our school we were allowed to take off either first or last period senior year and we were allowed off campus lunch because the lunch room was too small for everyone.

• Like 4

This whole block system confuses the fuck out of me! We didn't have that at all lol. We just had 7 periods a day every day and if your schedule permitted it (also because of how many credits you had) then you got to either do duel credit or have flex.

Now since I did duel credit I had two college courses at the local community college on Tuesdays and Thursday in the morning. M/W/F I got to sleep in and miss periods 1-3 which was AWESOME! Then because my lunch was always the "A" block (we had three blocks of lunches so that not all 4,000 students were eating at the same time lol) I got to just roll up with my Wendy's as well and eat in the choir room before actually starting my day.

• Like 4

I went to a bunch of high schools each with their different ways of doing things (Which worked out great for me in the long run), but my Middle School, in 8th Grade, did that revolving schedule thing. I remember one day I sat down in class and just started chatting with my friends when someone asked me what I was doing there. I suddenly realized I was in the wrong class. I quickly left. The bell rang (ending the scene) and I was still wandering the halls like a ghost. I was freaking out. I think I tried to other classes before I realized I was supposed to be in English. I just barged in there and was like, "I know I'm late, give me the detention."

The cool thing is my teacher held me after class and asked me what happened? When I explained the situation he let me off the hook. I think he was more annoyed that I made kind of a disruptive entrance.

The point is, I feel your anxiety.

• Like 5

But it was the last day or school, right? Maybe it was a special day where you spend the entire time in homeroom.

And listen to her bullshit? No thanks. I'll skip.

• Like 5

The point is, I feel your anxiety.

Lol, I was fine with it. But my senior year they had freshman on a different schedule than everyone else (& it was the first year they did it). I think cause they had the freshman have a little homeroom period or something (I to this day don't get what the fuck was going on)

Since their class schedule was weird--there were different bells going off (one for freshman and one for the rest of the school, but it was the same goddamn bell sound). you'd think maybe they'd have theirs sound different, but no..

So I think their bell to leave classes was like maybe 5 mins later after our bells went off to leave class / be in the next class. It was confusing.

I think we eventually (sort of) figured it out, but the bells are what gave me anxiety-- I was cool with the block schedule.

• Like 5

Two notes about HSM 1:

1) I was REALLY happy to see the hip-hop cheerleader's name was Martha. (I am thrilled to learn she becomes the head cheerleader later.) As soon as I heard her name I thought of Martha Dunstock/Dumptruck from Heathers. I'm glad to see we've come a long way from that toxic shaming.

2) Mrs. Darbus sounded and acted to me exactly like the Teen Witch drama teacher. The Teen Witch teacher had a better relationship with the students but, under the influence of Louise Guzman's spell, just up and left the play in who-knows-what shape.

As others have said, HSM stitches together so many tropes and pieces from various influences but I am pleased to see most of them subverted or with a twist.

• Like 6

I went to a bunch of high schools each with their different ways of doing things (Which worked out great for me in the long room), but my Middle School, in 8th Grade, did that revolving schedule thing.

Was it a mix of 4 different high schools?

• Like 3

This whole block system confuses the fuck out of me! We didn't have that at all lol. We just had 7 periods a day every day and if your schedule permitted it (also because of how many credits you had) then you got to either do duel credit or have flex.

Now since I did duel credit I had two college courses at the local community college on Tuesdays and Thursday in the morning. M/W/F I got to sleep in and miss periods 1-3 which was AWESOME! Then because my lunch was always the "A" block (we had three blocks of lunches so that not all 4,000 students were eating at the same time lol) I got to just roll up with my Wendy's as well and eat in the choir room before actually starting my day.

We had block in middle school, and it was kind of like college, where you have different classes on each day (except, unlike college, it would be ABABA one week and BABAB the next). But in high school, we did block where you just took four classes in the fall and four classes in the spring. That was FAR less confusing.

• Like 5

tumblr_m4nikbnLH61r08oe3o1_500.gif

Totally OT but I love the below GIF because there's one guy in the top left who is not applauding. I want to know where this came from but am scared to at the same time. I don't want to destroy the magic.

17967-Audience-Clapping-Gif.gif

• Like 4

Was it a mix of 4 different high schools?

I feel like I'm being teased, but I can't figure out how so I'll give you a straight answer.

Yes, four different schools. Freshman year was, iirc, like Fister described where we had 4 in the Fall and 4 in the Spring, with, I think, electives that would go quarterly...I'm not exactly sure, but I know I ended up ahead of the game with credits. Sophomore year and the first couple of weeks of Junior year I was in some dumbass Redneck school that sucked out my will to live. They, no surprise, had the very basic, traditional schedule. The remainder of my Junior year and first half of my Senior year I was at a more suburban school. They did the other type of rotation Fister mentioned (4 classes one day, the other 4 the next). Then, over Winter Break, my parents told me they were moving. I had the choice of either finishing out my year or transfering. Seeing as I didn't really have a ton of close friends (See: moving every year) I opted to move. BUT, because of all the crazy schedules I had had, I only needed three classes to graduate. So I convinced my parents to let me just go to the Community College and finish out there. It was cool because classes didn't start until, like, February or something. So when I got off for Winter Break, I didn't have to go back to school for a couple months. Also, I only had to go a couple days a week for a couple hours in the morning. I'd do my classes, chill at the library for a little bit, and then go home. It was a sweet deal. :)

I also feel like Iike I've said all of this before. I guess, you're welcome!

• Like 6

I feel like I'm being teased, but I can't figure out how so I'll give you a straight answer.

Yes, four different schools. Freshman year was, iirc, was like Fister described where we had 4 in the Fall and 4 in the spring, with, I think, electives that would go quarterly...I'm not exactly sure, but I know I ended up ahead of the game with credits. Sophomore year and the first couple of weeks of Junior year I was in some dumbass Redneck school that sucked out my will to live. They, no surprise, had the very basic, traditional schedule. The remainder of my Junior year and first half of my Senior year I was at a more suburban school. They did the other type of rotation Fister mentioned (4 classes one day, the other 4 the next). Then, over Winter Break, my parents told me they were moving. I had the choice of either finishinv out my year or transfer. Seeing as I didn't really have a ton of close friends (See: moving every year) I opted to move. BUT, because of all the crazy schedules I had had, I only needed three classes to graduate. So I convinced my parents to let me just go to the Community College and finish out there. It was cool because classes didn't start until, like, February or something. So when I got off for Winter Break, I didn't have to go back to school for a couple months. Also, I only had to go a couple days a week for a couple hours in the morning. I'd do my classes, chill at the library for a little bit, and then go home. It was a sweet deal. :)

Maybe you are a Gabriella?

• Like 2

Yes, four different schools. Freshman year was, iirc, like Fister described where we had 4 in the Fall and 4 in the Spring, with, I think, electives that would go quarterly...I'm not exactly sure, but I know I ended up ahead of the game with credits. Sophomore year and the first couple of weeks of Junior year I was in some dumbass Redneck school that sucked out my will to live. They, no surprise, had the very basic, traditional schedule. The remainder of my Junior year and first half of my Senior year I was at a more suburban school. They did the other type of rotation Fister mentioned (4 classes one day, the other 4 the next). Then, over Winter Break, my parents told me they were moving. I had the choice of either finishinv out my year or transfer. Seeing as I didn't really have a ton of close friends (See: moving every year) I opted to move. BUT, because of all the crazy schedules I had had, I only needed three classes to graduate. So I convinced my parents to let me just go to the Community College and finish out there. It was cool because classes didn't start until, like, February or something. So when I got off for Winter Break, I didn't have to go back to school for a couple months. Also, I only had to go a couple days a week for a couple hours in the morning. I'd do my classes, chill at the library for a little bit, and then go home. It was a sweet deal. :)

Do you also like animals?

• Like 7

with Cakebug being a Troy, I'd say it makes sense

200.gif#16-grid1

tumblr_mz9cvgnzhr1rxivvco6_r1_250.gif

I got slammed for suggesting I'm Troy, so I know my role...

• Like 6

tumblr_mz9cvgnzhr1rxivvco6_r1_250.gif

I got slammed for suggesting I'm Troy, so I know my role...

You can be a "Troy," but you can't say you're one. That's like walking into a room and announcing you're the coolest person ever or the world's greatest lover. Even if it's true, no one's going to take you seriously.

• Like 5

Totally OT but I love the below GIF because there's one guy in the top left who is not applauding. I want to know where this came from but am scared to at the same time. I don't want to destroy the magic.

17967-Audience-Clapping-Gif.gif

I guess we know where Fister was that night.

• Like 7

You can be a "Troy," but you can't say you're one. That's like walking into a room and announcing you're the coolest person ever or the world's greatest lover. Even if it's true, no one's going to take you seriously.

'Can't'? Can't? You can't can't a Troy...

giphy.gif

• Like 5