🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 161 - The Fate of the Furious

Our resident Fast & Furious expert Adam Scott joins Paul, June, and Jason in-studio to discuss the latest in the Fast film franchise, The Fate of the Furious. They’ll cover everything from Jason Statham and The Rock’s team up to the John Wick influence to Vin Diesel getting emotional. Plus, everyone shares who they’d like to see enter the Fast universe.

Correction...

Chris Morgan has helmed the scripts since the 3rd movie in the series (F&F: Tokio Drift) so to recap, 6 of the 8 "Fasts" have been written by the same person

• Like 1

After listening to Jason's comments on the Rock, where he says that The Rock could be both the father figure, and the Stone Cold killer. Well, Jason couldn't have been more incorrect in that statement...

Stone Cold was a different guy, he beat The Rock hundreds of times.

3561e86b28f19214dd57605538105010.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gwEzysrU_k

• Like 1

Okay, seeing as my prediction of Fast and the Furious 8 probably didn't pan out (where the 8 flips on it's side to make an infinity symbol because Family is "Forever"). I'm going to make a much more long term one.

Fast and Furious 10 will be stylised with the 10 in place of the I and the O, like:

Fast and Fur10us.

• Like 6

The knowledge that 1 man is writing the scripts for all these movies gives me new insight into the narrative direction of the series, especially the 8th, 9th and 10th films touted as the final trilogy.

"Fast and Furious" -- Letty dies, Giselle introduced, the villain Braga introduced

"Fast Five" -- The Rock introduced, Han returns, Mia impregnated

"Fast and Furious 6" -- Letty revived, Giselle dies, Braga cameos, Owen Shaw introduced

"Furious 7" -- Deckard Shaw introduced, Han dies, Kurt Russel introduced, Djimon Hounsou's character introduced, Brian and Mia retire, Ramsay introduced, The Rock joins the family

"F8 of the Furious" -- Mama Shaw introduced, Owen Shaw revived, Cypher introduced, Little Nobody introduced

As you can see, narrative threads sprinkled in even-number entries are picked up in future even-number entries as well as the same happening for consecutive odd-numbered entries. So therefore all signs point to some approximation of the following:

"F9 of The Furious" will feature Han being revived, Kurt Russel dying or betraying the team, and some associate of Djimon Hounsou returning as well as Ramsay's backstory

"Fast Ten" will feature the revenge of Cypher and more Shaw Family antics, presumably in space

All in all, I'm seeing a lot of potential for Jason Mantzoukas to appear in either of these films. Ramsay's brother perhaps

• Like 4

My picks for actors to appear in Fast and Furious movies.

Michael Caine, Judy Dench, Morgan Freeman, Forrest Whitaker, and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

• Like 1

Just finished this week's episode and I couldn't agree more with the team on how wonderful all the insanity and fun the film was. On the flip side, I feel this film is the least favorite of mine since the resurgence of the franchise in Fast 5.

Isn't it crazy that the premise of the first film was Brian infiltrating this group of street racers who were knocking off trucks delivering home entertainment systems?! So in 16 years we gone from DVD players (not Blu Rays since that was not released till two years later) to nuclear footballs!

As a fan of this series, I aspect that I must dispel some realities when it comes to hijacking self-driving cars or the ability to out run an army and nuclear sub on an unsteady frozen lake... I do have some issues with the following:

1. How in the hell did Vin set up the meeting with Helen Mirren?! At no point do we see Dom get a message to her inner circle or receiving any information that the mom is in fact an underground boss. It would have been amazing if Vin assumed that she was connected and ended up dealing with an Estelle Getty type, ala "Stop or My Mom Will Shoot!" Also, how did Vin have the freedom to mess around with his NYC car so he could create a "kill switch." I'm assuming that car is on the cargo plane and not one picked up in NYC. So they just let him tool around with it and no one is overseeing his handiwork?

2. In what world would Cypher and her team let Vin go on any of his missions alone? The red headed guy should be attached to his hip at all times to ensure he follows through on the game plan. Plus with all that is at stake, it would be nice to protect your "investment."

3. I sincerely love that there was a homing beacon on Vin's cross, but never are we shown him pocketing it from Cypher and applying it. Also, when Cypher and her goon executed Elena... how did they not see the constant blinking red light on the back side of the cross?!

Anyway... cheers to the writer and looking forward to Fast 9!

All the best from Pete the "S" man and of course... many thanks to the entire HDTGM crew for churning out perfect episodes on a weekly basis.

• Like 2

Is anyone else foreseeing that the opening of Fast 9 will be...

Vin intensely racing through the streets of LA. We have no clue as to what is going on, but we can see that he is extremely concerned and possibly fearful for his life.

Vin is talking frantically to Letti via a walkie an saying, "I'm coming! Hold on! I won't let you down!"

After a few beats, we reveal that Vin... is simply late to a day care interview for Brian.

All the best,

Pete the "S" man

At the end of the film, we see Cyper escape via parachute.

But what if the chute doesn't open properly and although surviving the crash, she is severely injured? All of this pushes Cypher further over the edge and gives her more determination to wipe out the entire team in the next installment.

So how does one destroy the Furious crew? You must become Furious or in essence....

FURIOSA

2WY7b2d.png

All the best,

Pete the "S" man

www.PeteScudese.com

• Like 2

I haven't seen the movie, but I heard Jason talking about Charlize Theron working under the hood and her car making the sound of the engine turning over not being possible without someone in the car. This brought me back to my late teens, working on my old '66 Mustang.

On older cars it was possible to just use a screwdriver to bridge the poles of the solenoid to engage the starter motor. As long as the key was turned to allow the engine to continue running, you could easily start the car from under the hood (

)

Now I don't know what kind of car she was working on but it's certainly not IMPOSSIBLE and probably wouldn't require a ghost.

• Like 3

I'm upset about Elena (Elsa Pataky). I hate when they kill the lady to make a dude sad. Especially after she's basically the Offred to Letty's Serena Joy. (Handmaid's Tale Reference! Look it up!)

I really hope the next movie is Chris Hemsworth breaking the fourth wall (with his hammer?) to avenge his wife.

• Like 8

I'm upset about Elena (Elsa Pataky). I hate when they kill the lady to make a dude sad. Especially after she's basically the Offred to Letty's Serena Joy. (Handmaid's Tale Reference! Look it up!)

I really hope the next movie is Chris Hemsworth breaking the fourth wall (with his hammer?) to avenge his wife.

I know that the idea of "Brian infiltrating criminal organization, then racing cars because cars are cool" dynamic of the first movie is long since abandoned, so it's nice to see that the theme of "Treat Women as Objects" is still going strong, eight movies in!

giphy.gif

• Like 5

I'm not enjoying this podcast so far .. they are not talking about the plot beat by beat .. just a lot of rambling oh that was great .. that was great .. etc ..let's start with Cuba .. Dom driving on fire INSANE..when did Dom set meeting with Helen Mirren .. Owen is alive? how did Cuban guy end up in NYC ..Cubans can't just leave Havana on a moments notice? how is Scott Eastwood just driving now .. wasn't he suit tie guy?

Tyrese was not in GREAT or funny; in fact he was AWFUL ... Not a single word said by Ludacris was remotely believable. How did Dom and Charlize just walk into the secret location? Is there that many cars with autodrive capability in NYC?

Naming your baby after your "retired" friend is just weird. I am left with too many unanswered questions

Did I see a different movie wasn't Charlize NOT GOOD!??? "I'm whispering so you can tell I'm a villain"

• Like 1

For the record, it would not ruin my experience AT ALL if June, Paul, and Jason were the only other people in the theater and they laughed through the movie.

Also, speaking of Poet Laureates...

I was unable to watch Fate of the Furious, so in lieu of any Corrections & Omissions from me this week, it is my intention to write at least one poem a day--each in a different poetry style--for as many of the Fast characters as I can. In this way, I hope that I can become the official poet of both the HDTGM forums and the Fast franchise in general. So, I guess you all have that to look forward to.

Wish me luck! I'm feeling good about this...

Let's start off with an easy one:

"Ramsay (A Haiku)"

Okay, so I'm here,

Luda's pushed me to the side,

I feel redundant

• Like 7

I was looking forward to HDTGM to salvage how bad Fate of the Furious was, but so far it seems like they liked it???

I'd have to rank the films as 6, 5, 4, 1, 7, 2, 3, 8, 4. And 4 might be better than 8 because it at least sets up cool shit that happens in 5 and 6.

I love Jason Statham and I'm always happy to see him in anything, but I cannot believe the gang's all cool with him and he's invited to the cookout. #Justice4Han

Did I see a different movie wasn't Charlize NOT GOOD!??? "I'm whispering so you can tell I'm a villain"

She was laughably bad and I don't understand any of her acting choices.

• Like 2

I want to finish the episode before I get into my C&Os (mainly just This Week in Feminism) but I need to say this -

Jason Statham being in the middle of a gun fight while holding a baby carrier is the single greatest thing this series has done!

• Like 5

I love Jason Statham and I'm always happy to see him in anything, but I cannot believe the gang's all cool with him and he's invited to the cookout. #Justice4Han

I heard a completely unverified Twitter rumor that Han was coming back in 9. So maybe they know he's alive? But then what was the POINT of the last movie...

You're right, it doesn't make sense.

• Like 3

I'm upset about Elena (Elsa Pataky). I hate when they kill the lady to make a dude sad.

Yeah, it's called fridging, and it's absolute bullshit. It's the main problemI had with the movie. Everything else is pretty much perfection.

I'm not surprised that the hosts loved this film, but boy was it so-so for me. I've put my rant on the recommendation thread but it basically boils down to why is the crew so willing to accept someone who was involved with actively killing members of your team or the fact that Cipher being involved with the previous movies is as muddled as Spectre's plot? I am happy that they are pointing out that this movie is basically a Vin Diesel ego jackoff.

Question:

How long did Vin have a tracking device in that giant fucking crucifix? And did he never tell his team about it? So how come they couldn't have just search for that damn thing and find the plane from the beginning?

• Like 3

I was looking forward to HDTGM to salvage how bad Fate of the Furious was, but so far it seems like they liked it???

Because it's awesome.

I'd have to rank the films as 6, 5, 4, 1, 7, 2, 3, 8, 4. And 4 might be better than 8 because it at least sets up cool shit that happens in 5 and 6.

I go with 5, 8, 7, 6, 4, 1, 2, 3. Seriously. The only good thing about Tokyo Drift is that it gave us Han two movies later.

I want to ask everyone that complains about Han: did you not pay attention to the movie?

It's revealed that Cipher was manipulating them the exact same way she was manipulating Dom. Shaw did what he did for his family - the same way that Dom does. And in the end, he rescues part of Dom's literal family. The team is definitely not totally cool with him for most of the movie. It's only during the final scene after he's rescued Dom's son that he is invited to be a real member of the gang.

But he and Hobbs totally wanted to fuck for the whole movie.

• Like 3

Question:

How long did Vin have a tracking device in that giant fucking crucifix? And did he never tell his team about it? So how come they couldn't have just search for that damn thing and find the plane from the beginning?

And why did no one notice that it had a flashing red fucking light in it?

I don't remember the chronology of everything because I've only seen it once, and that was two weeks ago. He puts it there in the scene where Elena gets killed, right? I think he only put the tracker in it right before he hung it up in front of her glass cage thing. The only reason it had a tracker in it was so that the Shaws could find the plane and his son.

I want to ask everyone that complains about Han: did you not pay attention to the movie?

It's revealed that Cipher was manipulating them the exact same way she was manipulating Dom. Shaw did what he did for his family - the same way that Dom does. And in the end, he rescues part of Dom's literal family. The team is definitely not totally cool with him for most of the movie. It's only during the final scene after he's rescued Dom's son that he is invited to be a real member of the gang.

But he and Hobbs totally wanted to fuck for the whole movie.

Okay I get that but it would have been a lot easier for the audience, in my opinion, to get behind this if after the reveal that he is basically the British Hobbs that he went to Letty and had a moment with her in which he actually apologized for the murder of their family members. Because they were the ones who yelled at him when he showed up and never get a moment of clarity or peace, only Hobbs and Dom get that.

• Like 1

Correction: The Rock is rumored to play Shazam's arch-nemesis Black Adam, not Shazam himself.

Also it makes sense that The Rock is going for the strong fatherly aspect in his characters as he has two daughters and many actors start taking roles that they intend for their kids to enjoy or relate to. His first daughter was born in 2001 which makes sense as to why he went on a run of family/animated films from 2007-2010, and now with with that daughter being older he includes aspects of how important a daughter is to the characters that he plays, examples include San Andreas and Fast 6-8, while Moana is for both of his daughters. I still don't know why Vin Diesel did his run of crappy family films though as he didn't have kids until years after those were done.

And as for Tyrese who I just found cringey in this film, he is actually really good in Death Race alongside Statham as well as the low budget bank robber film Waist Deep.

• Like 2