🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 161 - The Fate of the Furious

Jason Statham with a baby in the middle of a gun fight just makes me think of Clive Owen in Shoot 'Em Up.

ShootEmUp_MF.jpg

So, that tells me one thing, us British people give zero fucks when we're babysitting.

• Like 9

Jason Statham with a baby in the middle of a gun fight just makes me think of Clive Owen in Shoot 'Em Up.

ShootEmUp_MF.jpg

So, that tells me one thing, us British people give zero fucks when we're babysitting.

Definitely reminded me of Shoot 'Em Up, too. But without Clive Owen's dead eyes ruining everything.

Definitely reminded me of Shoot 'Em Up, too. But without Clive Owen's dead eyes ruining everything.

Karl Pilkington has caused me to live the rest of my life calling Clive Owen, "Clive Warren" after the podcast where Ricky Gervais asks Karl to pitch him a film, and he comes up with "The Love of Two Brains", where Clive Owen and his wife (played by Rebecca DeMornay) are in an accident, and Clive Owen dies, and the only way to save Rebecca DeMornay is to have Clive Owen's brain transplanted into her head.

• Like 2

Okay I get that but it would have been a lot easier for the audience, in my opinion, to get behind this if after the reveal that he is basically the British Hobbs that he went to Letty and had a moment with her in which he actually apologized for the murder of their family members. Because they were the ones who yelled at him when he showed up and never get a moment of clarity or peace, only Hobbs and Dom get that.

That's fair. I think it might have played better. But a lot of the comments I've seen (both here and in other places) have acted like there's no reason for everyone to accept him when there totally is.

But my favorite take so far has been Joanna Robinson from Vanity Fair who was on a podcast talking about F8 last week. She basically said, "People keep saying, 'Why would Toretto's gang embrace him if he's responsible for the death of Han,' and I'm like, 'I actually don't care.'" I'm not totally invested in the "family" theme of the movie. If plot contrivances need to be made to make more things explode in the most ridiculous way, I'm cool with that. I'm here to see them race a car bomb and fight a nuclear sub.

• Like 1

Correction:

When Letty asks Dom if he's okay in a normal voice with the windows up it's because they have like a blue tooth system of communicators. It's how Hobbs was able to tell them all to split up.

• Like 3

ShootEmUp_MF.jpg

Well yeah, how else do explain Supernanny?

Well yeah, how else do explain Supernanny?

Well, I hate Supernanny. She had god knows how many parents believing in that "Naughty Step" bullshit, "You keep them there a minute for however many years old they are!".

28 minutes I was sat on that fucking step, my arse had gone dead by the end of it.

• Like 3

I go with 5, 8, 7, 6, 4, 1, 2, 3. Seriously. The only good thing about Tokyo Drift is that it gave us Han two movies later.

Excuse me? There are two good things about Tokyo Drift. One is Han and the other is this:

https://youtu.be/iuJDhFRDx9M

I want to ask everyone that complains about Han: did you not pay attention to the movie?

It's revealed that Cipher was manipulating them the exact same way she was manipulating Dom. Shaw did what he did for his family - the same way that Dom does. And in the end, he rescues part of Dom's literal family. The team is definitely not totally cool with him for most of the movie. It's only during the final scene after he's rescued Dom's son that he is invited to be a real member of the gang.

But he and Hobbs totally wanted to fuck for the whole movie.

Which is never discussed onscreen with any member of the team except Hobbs, and the reactions to Shaw pre-reveal are more on the side of "Fuck that guy, he's Bad and British," and not "Fuck that guy, he murdered our friend." After all he went through trying to quit smoking!

Hobbs and Shaw were 100% down to fuck. Dom/Vince is still the great tragic romance of the franchise for me. Imagine naming your son after your ex and then keeping tabs on him from the afterlife only to discover that he named his son after the buster he dumped you for.

• Like 1

Okay I feel the urge to comment as I hear this but JUNE NO THE ROCK IS 100% MORE ATTRACTIVE THAN VIN

Like come on gurl no that's just wrong The Rock is incredibly sexy and it's totally believable that he would have all those women watching him!

• Like 9

Vin Diesels spinoff needs to be called Dom's Girls, where all the dead females from the F&F Franchise come back to life and form an elite task force, led by none other than Dominic Torreto.

• Like 1

Correction:

When Letty asks Dom if he's okay in a normal voice with the windows up it's because they have like a blue tooth system of communicators. It's how Hobbs was able to tell them all to split up.

Do they ever show that? Because it was weird for me that in the early scenes they were just talking to each other between cars, and then in later scenes, they were using walkies again.

Okay I feel the urge to comment as I hear this but JUNE NO THE ROCK IS 100% MORE ATTRACTIVE THAN VIN

Like come on gurl no that's just wrong The Rock is incredibly sexy and it's totally believable that he would have all those women watching him!

Yeah, can't agree with June on this one. Vin Diesel is like the human equivalent of a cold shower.

• Like 9

Do they ever show that? Because it was weird for me that in the early scenes they were just talking to each other between cars, and then in later scenes, they were using walkies again.

I kinda just assumed? Cause they are all literally talking in their cars as if they can hear each other, and then doesn't Letty like grab at her ear to hear better when Hobbs announces that Dom went rogue? Or did I just imagine it?

• Like 2

I have to second this opinion. I also feel that Vin Diesel is a more selfish lover, like he would call out his own name during sex or have you wear a paper bag that has a his picture on it on your head.

• Like 9

I have to second this opinion. I also feel that Vin Diesel is a more selfish lover, like he would call out his own name during sex or have you wear a paper bag that has a his picture on it on your head.

I'm thinking a series of grunts, followed by a post-coital Q & A wherein he beams at you and asks, "When did this become orgasm world?"

• Like 9

I kinda just assumed? Cause they are all literally talking in their cars as if they can hear each other, and then doesn't Letty like grab at her ear to hear better when Hobbs announces that Dom went rogue? Or did I just imagine it?

Yeah they all had earpieces.

I'm thinking a series of grunts, followed by a post-coital Q & A wherein he beams at you and asks, "When did this become orgasm world?"

Followed by Vin turning on a personal hologram of him so that he can high-five himself.

Question:

Why would Ludacris risk Tyrese's life in order to just prank him with the wrecking ball? Literally that is a split second decision that could have left him smeared across the ground simply so Luda can get a hearty laugh because he put a winky face on the wrecking ball? He tells everyone else about this part of the plan BUT Tyrese solely for this moment and thankfully he moves out of the way both times, but it could have ended horribly.

Also with the competition for affection for Ramsay between Tyrese and Ludacris, am I the only one that was waiting for her at the end to tell them that she was a lesbian? I liked her tripping them up with the "what's my last name" question but it just means that we get more uncomfortable courting in the sequels.

• Like 5

Followed by Vin turning on a personal hologram of him so that he can high-five himself.

Something tells me that his "Love Making Music" is just the chorus of "You're The Best Around" from The Karate Kid, and when he's finished, he switches it to "Simply The Best" and struts around like David Brent.

https://youtu.be/mXytRC0k-K8?t=1m32s

• Like 1

I threw up in my mouth a little. For me, Tyrese is the hottest. But the Rock is a Hufflepuff so you know he'd make sure you'd get off too.

• Like 7

1451227690.jpg

Can we please start a twitter campaign for June to play Elsa's sister in the next fast movie.

• Like 6

I threw up in my mouth a little. For me, Tyrese is the hottest. But the Rock is a Hufflepuff so you know he'd make sure you'd get off too.

I haven't cared for Tyrese in past movies, but he's definitely better in this one. I think it's because he's not the butt of EVERY joke and all of his scenes aren't stuff like him flying the wrong way with his parachute while everyone else is fighting. Even the car thing on the ice ended up setting up a cool sequence for him to be badass. I know y'all were talking about hotness, but I just thought this was as good an opportunity as any to say that I thought Roman was actually pretty good in this one.

Also, they said in the episode that there weren't any foot chases in other movies, but in Fast Five, they have that whole sequence where they are running through the favelas in Brazil.

• Like 2

Also with the competition for affection for Ramsay between Tyrese and Ludacris, am I the only one that was waiting for her at the end to tell them that she was a lesbian? I liked her tripping them up with the "what's my last name" question but it just means that we get more uncomfortable courting in the sequels.

I figured they'd give her a throwaway line about Shaw and cut to Roman and Tej's reaction shots.

I hadn't heard that this was the start of a final trilogy because it feels like the end of a trilogy with the exception of Cypher/Cipher getting away. She is the reason everything has happened to them since Fast 6 or rather she is the puppet master behind everything since Fast 6. This is the culmination.

I feel that the Fast movies are broken into trilogies like so:

1, 2, 4

6, 7, 8

with 3 and 5 serving as standalones basically.

• Like 1

I hadn't heard that this was the start of a final trilogy because it feels like the end of a trilogy with the exception of Cypher/Cipher getting away. She is the reason everything has happened to them since Fast 6 or rather she is the puppet master behind everything since Fast 6. This is the culmination.

I feel that the Fast movies are broken into trilogies like so:

1, 2, 4

6, 7, 8

with 3 and 5 serving as standalones basically.

Nah I disagree I think that the ending of 7 ended an era with Paul dying and that 5-7 was a trilogy. This now starts the beginning of the team without him.

• Like 2

I was kind of waiting for that too.

Also wasn't there some speculation that Hobbs was gay or something? Maybe I dreamed it, who knows. But it's not out of the realm of possibility that the Rock would play gay, he's done it before (see F. Gary Gray's BE COOL-he's the ONLY good thing about that movie--possible stay tuned?). And as I mentioned in the recommended thread, I think that's why the comedy between the Rock and Statham works, because those two know not to take themselves so seriously (and have better comic timing then Disel does).

As for future cast members; Sean Bean, Pierce Brosnon, Robbie Coltrane. What I'd really like though is for them to pull out someone like Gene Hackman or Jack Nicholson out.

I'd love to see some more strong women, like gimme Lena Headly or Sigourney Weaver

• Like 2

Nah I disagree I think that the ending of 7 ended an era with Paul dying and that 5-7 was a trilogy. This now starts the beginning of the team without him.

Yeah I get that, I just found it weird that the villain responsible for everything in 6 and 7 is how you kickstart your new trilogy. It felt more like a closer to me. To me, other then introducing Hobbs, 5 doesn't connect with the others. It's in Brazil, it's a heist movie. It's more standalone, to me.