๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
JulyDiaz

Episode 161 - The Fate of the Furious

...like pee-pee for penis.

ย 

Wait. You guys don't call it a pee-pee?

• Like 5

Tay tay = testicles. Left tay, right tay.

ย 

So, I'm confused...Which one is Taylor named after?

• Like 2

- The Rock's baby mama is definitely dead. She's never seen, nor mentioned and the ladies ogling him at the soccer field has a "sexy widower in the neighborhood" kind of vibe.

ย 

I'm amazed, after all the other dream casting that went on, that they just let this one go, because with all of the people that come out of the woodwork or back from the dead in these movies, why wouldn't Rock's baby mama be ANOTHER heavy hitter? Maybe it could be a Sandra Bullock or a Julia Roberts? Reese Witherspoon? AMY ADAMS! I want Amy Adams in a Fast and/or Furious movie!

• Like 2

Yeah, it's called fridging, and it's absolute bullshit. It's the main problemI had with the movie. Everything else is pretty much perfection.

It's only a matter of time before it ends up in a DC Comics movie, right?

ย 

fridge.png

• Like 3

I'm writing this from the theater where I'm waiting on my second viewing to start. I'm sure this time, I will catch all the nuance inherent in this film.

• Like 2

It's only a matter of time before it ends up in a DC Comics movie, right?

ย 

fridge.png

What was wrong? Did the milk go bad?!

• Like 2

What was wrong? Did the milk go bad?!

Eh, something like that. Anyway, I remember either the writer or the artist talking about this scene and how they were told that the door had to be somewhat closed, they couldn't show ALL of the body, but by censoring it, the reader was left thinking that it was EVEN worse than what they were seeing. Sure, it sucks anyway, dead girlfriend stuffed in the fridge, but it would have been a relief (?) to know that she was ONLY dead and not hacked into pieces or something.

I'm writing this from the theater where I'm waiting on my second viewing to start. I'm sure this time, I will catch all the nuance inherent in this film.

IDEA! Paul Thomas Anderson directs Fast 9, puts Joaquin Phoenix in it as...something, and it's 11 hours long!

• Like 5

Eh, something like that. Anyway, I remember either the writer or the artist talking about this scene and how they were told that the door had to be somewhat closed, they couldn't show ALL of the body, but by censoring it, the reader was left thinking that it was EVEN worse than what they were seeing. Sure, it sucks anyway, dead girlfriend stuffed in the fridge, but it would have been a relief (?) to know that she was ONLY dead and not hacked into pieces or something.

I thought they did show more in the comics, or maybe that was years later in flashback form. This is the only other version I could find.

152.jpg

I want to ask everyone that complains about Han: did you not pay attention to the movie?

ย 

It's revealed that Cipher was manipulating them the exact same way she was manipulating Dom. Shaw did what he did for his family - the same way that Dom does. And in the end, he rescues part of Dom's literal family. The team is definitely not totally cool with him for most of the movie. It's only during the final scene after he's rescued Dom's son that he is invited to be a real member of the gang.

ย 

Ummm actually. I don't think Shaw is being manipulated by cipher at all in Furious 7. (Despite the retcon of F8) Because I don't think he gives 2 shits about gods eye. It's only Djimon who's after God's eye the whole time. Shaw is 100% on a murder mission to kill everyone that took down his brother and only ever pops in to fuck with the crew while their vulnerable and otherwise focused on the mission... What did killing han have to do with the god's eye? Nothing really. I think he doesn't know about Cipher manipulating his brother, or if he does, it's not his motivation. His sole motivation is avenging his brother hence the tokyo drift tag and the cold open of Furious 7. "When we were kids you'd start fights with the toughest bastards int he yard. But I was the one who had to step in and finish them. Rest now little brother, while i settled your one last score."

ย 

ย 

But even if he was manipulated by Cipher it doesn't matter. He still murdered one of their family and nearly killed several more, including 2 unborn children(Brian's kid and kid Brian via Elena)" It doesn't matter why he did it. No family accepts that person with open arms.

ย 

P.S. Damn all of you who listen to new episodes the morning of and get all them first posts! Always so jealous I don't get to listen until later in the evening.

• Like 2

ย 

Ummm actually. I don't think Shaw is being manipulated by cipher at all in Furious 7. (Despite the retcon of F8) Because I don't think he gives 2 shits about gods eye. It's only Djimon who's after God's eye the whole time. Shaw is 100% on a murder mission to kill everyone that took down his brother and only ever pops in to fuck with the crew while their vulnerable and otherwise focused on the mission... What did killing han have to do with the god's eye? Nothing really. I think he doesn't know about Cipher manipulating his brother, or if he does, it's not his motivation. His sole motivation is avenging his brother hence the tokyo drift tag and the cold open of Furious 7. "When we were kids you'd start fights with the toughest bastards int he yard. But I was the one who had to step in and finish them. Rest now little brother, while i settled your one last score."

ย 

ย 

But even if he was manipulated by Cipher it doesn't matter. He still murdered one of their family and nearly killed several more, including 2 unborn children(Brian's kid and kid Brian via Elena)" It doesn't matter why he did it. No family accepts that person with open arms.

ย 

P.S. Damn all of you who listen to new episodes the morning of and get all them first posts! Always so jealous I don't get to listen until later in the evening.

Hey I only got to comment so much because I'm home sick with food poisoning AND a skin infection. It's also allowed me to finally start binging Parks & Rec (I'm almost through season 4).

• Like 2

Hey I only got to comment so much because I'm home sick with food poisoning AND a skin infection. It's also allowed me to finally start binging Parks & Rec (I'm almost through season 4).

ย 

ย 

BRAAAAAAAAG!

• Like 2

ย 

ย 

BRAAAAAAAAG!

Yep this week has been super.

• Like 2

Tay tay = testicles. Left tay, right tay.

ย 

So, I'm confused...Which one is Taylor named after?

ย 

giphy.gif

• Like 8

ย 

I thought they did show more in the comics, or maybe that was years later in flashback form. This is the only other version I could find.

152.jpg

That's a flashback there. His dead girlfriend came back a few years later as an alternate universe GL where I think maybe HE had been killed? I can't remember. The Kyle Rayner Green Lantern was really, really good though. As someone that didn't know anything about the DCU, you learned right along with him as he was running into guys that had a grudge with Hal Jordan, who had gone crazy when his entire hometown was murdered.

That's a flashback there. His dead girlfriend came back a few years later as an alternate universe GL where I think maybe HE had been killed? I can't remember. The Kyle Rayner Green Lantern was really, really good though. As someone that didn't know anything about the DCU, you learned right along with him as he was running into guys that had a grudge with Hal Jordan, who had gone crazy when his entire hometown was murdered.

Yeah figured it was the flashback with the crisper colors and the fact that there were more than three colors in the panel, I just couldn't remember if there was one that showed more because if DC has shown anything over the last few years, the Flash will run back in time and fuck shit up leading to a two page showing various universes and major scenes of DC history flashed in front of a major characters eyes. Or if it's Marvel a similar thing will happen, but instead of flashbacks, alternate realities will be shown, usually involving Deadpool.

ย 

Am I right nerds, or what?

sadtom1.gif?w=1000

• Like 1

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Maaaaybe he almost killed Brian's son, but I still maintain the Elena had already had the baby by the time Shaw comes around in 7.

ย 

Ultimately, yes, Deckard was avenging his brother...in the same way that Dom and the family were out to avenge Han. It was about family, and Dom understands that.

ย 

In the end, Shaw still saves his son, and Dom says he could see that he was out for revenge against Cipher because she screwed his brother over. He understands why Shaw did what he did, which is why he forgives him.

ย 

Also, someone earlier said only Hobbs knew about Shaw. But Hobbs talks to him about it in the garage with the rest of the team around. And we have to assume Dom must have known from his time with Cipher. If family is the most portent thing, how do they not understand what someone else did for his own family?

ย 

Also, something else I noticed tonight is that Dom solders the tracker onto his necklace while he's on Cuba. When Hobbs calls him to steal the EMO, he's soldering something to the necklace, which I assume is the tracker. So he had it the whole time, BUT Cipher told him not to tell anyone. He didn't know where Elena was, so he kept it quiet from his team.

ย 

The biggest question is....how the fuck did Owen Shaw get out of the black site?

• Like 3

I wish this episode had gone on longer. There was so many crazy aspects to this movie that I think you guys could have easily talked for 3 hours about it.

ย 

ย 

1) I highly doubt that old taxis in New York are self-driving. Certainly not that many.

ย 

2) I don't think you can remote start a car that is turned off. If there's no power running to the car, how would she control them? You can't hack into a computer that isn't running, so why would this work on cars? Unless she somehow got control of all of the remote activation frequencies? But those only work within 50 feet or so of your car, and she was much further away than that.

ย 

2b) Couldn't the cars with people in them just turn the power off to stop them?

ย 

3) Did Jeep Grand Cherokee PAY for that product placement? If so, that is a weird marketing choice. To have a remote controlled death machine that can be hacked into and controlled by someone else (as this movie will have us believe) with your brand labelled on it, doesn't seem like a great way to inspire confidence to potential consumers of that vehicle.

ย 

3) How did she know the cars would "rain" down? There isn't an altitude sensor in GPS, is there? Those cars could have just as easily been at street level and her comment would have made no sense.

ย 

4) That EMP pulse supposedly knocks out electrical equipment, but then there is a ton of electrical equipment, including a helicopter in that base that they immediately start to use, so that EMP seemed pretty darn selective.

ย 

5) That submarine was mounted up on dry land. How the hell did she even launch it that quickly?

ย 

6) Water is a lot more dense than air, so I have my doubts that a submarine could build up as much speed as those cars, and certainly not in such a short distance, to be able to chase them. If you google "how fast can a submarine go?", the top result says:

ย 

This is why, even in 2014, most submarines and torpedoes can't go much faster than 40 knots (~46 mph). Higher speeds are possible, but it requires so much power that it's not really feasible (torpedoes only have so much fuel).

ย 

7) Charlize Theron's character's whole motivation was non-existent. She wants "them" (who?) to know they will be held accountable (to whom? to do what?) The woman needs to sit down and write out a mission statement.

ย 

8) If you blow up a submarine with nuclear material on it, that is very much still a nuclear catastrophe. Tyrese is right; they should get the hell out of there.

ย 

9) Why did they even bring Ramsey into this franchise?! She's supposedly one of the best hackers on the planet, and yet she's constantly having tech mansplained to her by Ludacris (who was just a mechanic in the 2nd movie) and then by freaking Jason Statham in this one. REALLY?! They made Jason Statham come up with the brilliant plan to use the program that Ramsey herself built?! And then Ramsey just says "oh that's brilliant" or whatever. That is bananas.

ย 

ย 

ย 

Don't get me wrong. Still thoroughly enjoyed the movie and can't wait until it comes out on blu-ray and I can watch it again, but this movie made even less sense than Furious 7.

• Like 2

ย 

Did you see what I said back in the recommendations thread???

ย 

ย 

I was laughing when Scott Eastwood was having that "serious talk" with The Rock outside the prison and it seemed like the first take or maybe a dry run take that they taped and Kurt says to him that he "had to work on his delivery" and "get to know his audience"

ย 

Hahahahaha Great Meta moment even if it was unintentional ( Or maybe not ;) )

F8-of-the-Furious-movies-40352568.jpg

ย 

Maaaaybe he almost killed Brian's son, but I still maintain the Elena had already had the baby by the time Shaw comes around in 7.

ย 

Ultimately, yes, Deckard was avenging his brother...in the same way that Dom and the family were out to avenge Han. It was about family, and Dom understands that.

ย 

In the end, Shaw still saves his son, and Dom says he could see that he was out for revenge against Cipher because she screwed his brother over. He understands why Shaw did what he did, which is why he forgives him.

ย 

Yes, pretty much like Blast Hardcheese said in page 5 the movie is really "The Forgiveness of The Furious" I get that...

ย 

But while I was watching the movie I was Furious (nailed it!) that there was no mention of Han who was the revenge driving force of the last movie (sorry if I keep repeating this in a lot of posts and threads) they made the Helena reveal work and also with a trow-away line and a 2 slide power point set up that Cyper was the mastermind/puppet master behind the bad guys and their plans in parts 6 & 7, so all I'm saying is show Han a little love in 8

ย 

I'm calling it now... If they bring Han back in 9 they will reveal that Han knew that Shaw was comming for him, or that he faked his death with Shaws help and was "Ghost Protocol" to fool Cypher and that the bomb that blew the Toretto Cali House was sent by Cypher... But that still will not explain Hans body/corpse (much like the also unexplained fake Letty corpse from F & F 4)

• Like 4

But while I was watching the movie I was Furious (nailed it!) that there was no mention of Han who was the revenge driving force of the last movie (sorry if I keep repeating this in a lot of posts and threads) they made the Helena reveal work and also with a trow-away line and a 2 slide power point set up that Cyper was the mastermind/puppet master behind the bad guys and their plans in parts 6 & 7, so all I'm saying is show Han a little love in 8

ย 

Yeah dude. I totally agree with you that it would have been better to mention Han and at least pay some kind of tribute to him. I just don't agree with everyone that's like, "OMG HOW COULD HE FORGIVE HIM?!" The movie might not have given you the catharsis you wanted, but it's not completely illogical that Dom would let bygones be bygones after he realized why Shaw did what he did and after he rescued his son.

ย 

I also feel like there was another big thing I noticed in this viewing, but I can't remember what it is now because I followed that up with the shitshow that is The Circle.

• Like 1

Everyone keeps talking about whether or not they are going to go to space in Fast 9, but I think it should be time travel.

ย 

Mr Nobody gives the team a time machine, and they have to go back to Tokyo to prevent Shaw from killing Han. Then they return to the future. Han is still alive, but because they fucked with the space-time continuum, he's a murderous cyborg trying to kill them. And then they fight him in space in Fast 10 and the series is over.

• Like 3

I have to second this opinion. I also feel that Vin Diesel is a more selfish lover, like he would call out his own name during sex or have you wear a paper bag that has a his picture on it on your head.

ย 

Possible use for Virtual Reality: Vin could wear the headset and have sex with himself.

ย 

ย 

ย 

1) I highly doubt that old taxis in New York are self-driving. Certainly not that many.

ย 

3) How did she know the cars would "rain" down? There isn't an altitude sensor in GPS, is there? Those cars could have just as easily been at street level and her comment would have made no sense.

ย 

I agree those old cars wouldn't be. Even if this was set in the future I don't think most cars will be self driving. Most people don't like it instinctively.

ย 

Depends on the GPS's satellites but they can calculate altitude, not that accurately generally though. But I assume in the logic of the film they would know if the building is a carpark and if theres a car in that they could assume its drive-offable.

ย 

And, unrelated, but I have to say I wasn't into the Kid Rock-style intro until they got to the "Where does the butt start" line. Also, that theme should only be played with Jason's giggles in it.

ย 

I got more of a Beck Loser feel, maybe its because I despise Kid Rock and have blanked him from my memory. Stellar Skateboard was my highlight.

• Like 1