🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 11 Repo! the Genetic Opera

@CakeBug - I had no idea he was related to Murray Head! That's awesome! I love that song!

"Siam's gonna be the witness to the ultimate test of cerebral fitness"

"I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine."

• Like 6

this was the only song that I semi- enjoyed (mostly just catchy enough to be memorable).

But in that song I couldn't help but think Alexa Vega needed some new ears, lol

That's why I referenced it in the first post. I really didn't retain too much of the music.

• Like 4

That's why I referenced it in the first post. I really didn't retain too much of the music.

I think for me that's why I didn't enjoy this as much. As it's been said in other MM threads, if you can't get into the music it's hard to get into the movie. The only song I can remember the rhythm or words to are that song. All the other songs I can remember the details of in relation to the story but even though I watched it two days I can't recall how any of them went.

• Like 7

I think that if I had watched this on Thursday or earlier in the week like I had planned, I wouldn't remember it as clearly or be as "mad" about it because it would just fade into a jumbled mess, but I watched it like...12 hours ago, so it's all very fresh in my head.

• Like 5

Did anyone get through it in one sitting? It took me about 4 hours over the course of 2 days.

• Like 9

Did anyone get through it in one sitting? It took me about 4 hours over the course of 2 days.

Yep. I watched it all yesterday (after I watched Lincoln, which was quite a strange double feature).

Also, I had seen it quite a few years ago when some friends and I used to do bad movie nights, but I didn't actually remember much of it outside of the general plot, that Paul Sorvino sings (kind of horribly), and that Paris Hilton is in it.

• Like 6

I did, well sorta. I was watching it on my old Kindle Fire (my ipad died a couple of weeks ago and since I only really used it for streaming, I just switched over to my Kindle for as long as I can) and it died like twice because I knocked out the plug. So like...2 or 3 minute breaks.

• Like 7

3 sittings here

• Like 7

3 sittings here

At least 2 days, and some 'watching' with it playing in the background while I did other things.

• Like 4

3 sittings here

giphy.gif

Do you remember how long you got in your first sitting? I know Cake, Tom, and I each tapped out after 20 mins. It's funny too, because nothing is even really going on then. I do think it's right after Vega's first song, though, so that might have something to do with it...

• Like 5

I too much like Fister saw this years ago but remembered very little about it. My memories going in were that the daughter had a transplant and that was what was forcing him to keep being a Repoman but I think I might be mixing the two repo movies up. This time I was able to do a single sitting, don't recall if I did the first time.

• Like 5

I waited til the last minute to watch it, so I had to. I regretted it when I got about halfway through and realized I still had so much more to go.

• Like 7

giphy.gif

Do you remember how long you got in your first sitting? I know Cake, Tom, and I each tapped out after 20 mins. It's funny too, because nothing is even really going on then. I do think it's right after Vega's first song, though, so that might have something to do with it...

I'm not sure what the time was, but it was after Mag shows up at Shilo's house. That is when I was out the first time.

The second time though, I started a bit before that part since I definitely must have zoned out because I was not entirely sure who Mag was and why she came to their house..haha

• Like 5

Usefully, this song was also co-written by Tim Rice, who of course wrote the lyrics to JC Superstar. Everything is connected, yo.

Another JCSC connection. Sarah Brightman, who plays Blind Mag, was for ten years or so married to Sir Dame Andrew Lloyd Webber the other half of JC Superstar!

Also, fun fact after appearing on stage at a young age Sarah Brightman was recruited into the disco group Hot Gossip who had a massive Star Wars inspired hit song in 1978!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgW9l7CR1WQ

• Like 7

Another JCSC connection. Sarah Brightman, who plays Blind Mag, was for ten years or so married to Sir Dame Andrew Lloyd Webber the other half of JC Superstar!

Also, fun fact after appearing on stage at a young age Sarah Brightman was recruited into the disco group Hot Gossip who had a massive Star Wars inspired hit song in 1978!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgW9l7CR1WQ

Also, very importantly, after her long, storied, and award-winning career, including creating the role of Christine Daaë, this was Sarah Brightman's movie debut. She waited all that time for... this?

This makes me think of Cameron's review on letterboxd about Jerry Seinfeld choosing 'Bee Movie' as his one and only foray into cinema.

• Like 8

Also, very importantly, after her long, storied, and award-winning career, including creating the role of Christine Daaë, this was Sarah Brightman's movie debut. She waited all that time for... this?

This makes me think of Cameron's review on letterboxd about Jerry Seinfeld choosing 'Bee Movie' as his one and only foray into cinema.

And she was a last minute replacement! So many questions.

• Like 7

Who did she replace?

I figured she was paying back a favor or something, but I can't imagine what kind of favor she owed to be in this.

• Like 6

Maybe Sarah wanted to show Dame Sir Andrew that she could be in things without his help.

That showed him.

Whenever I see her I always think about the appalling theme song to the 1992 Olympics that used to play at EVERY commercial break that year. God I hated it.

• Like 4

Who did she replace?

I figured she was paying back a favor or something, but I can't imagine what kind of favor she owed to be in this.

According to IMDB:

Orignally a different actress was cast as Blind Mag, but due to the film's low budget the actress dropped out and Sarah Brightman was chosen.
  • Like 5

I would figure Brightman would command a fairly high price due to her Broadway, West End, etc credentials.

• Like 3

Yo. I watched this in one sitting. And tbh I liked it more than I liked Rent. That's not to say I think it's great, it's quite obviously flawed. But as someone who's watched plenty of bad horror movies for fun, this was campy enough to be enjoyable.

But yeah, a lot of it doesn't make sense. My biggest question was if Repo Man was taking back X organ and leaving the person for dead, why not salvage a few others too? Get some bonuses for your work.

So the question I had is what's going on in the other cities? Are there Repomen there as well? Is there more than one Repoman in GeneCo city, because there are a lot of dead bodies and why are there so many dead bodies if not people are being repo-ed all the time.

I got the impression that there must be other Repomen, because when Nathan's asked to go after Blind Mag, he says "get someone else to do it". It seemed like Rotti wanted Nathan to do it, just because of the connection.

Actually what a small world this was lol I was pretty much laughing at Blind Mag being shoehorned in as Shilo's mother's old best friend. I think just having her be an idol who warns Shilo not to get involved would have been enough.

Also removing eyes would probably NOT kill someone, so IDK why they have such a huge bloodlust to get her lol

• Like 8

Also removing eyes would probably NOT kill someone, so IDK why they have such a huge bloodlust to get her lol

And girl, wait until you're back on solid ground before kebabing your eyes out. Safety first.

• Like 7

Is Geneco providing the surgeries/organs as well as the financing? or is it an organ lender/financing company only?

As a lender, they should probably put in place stricter guidelines, since they end up having to repossess a majority of the organs..

• Like 10

Goddamn it, Anthony Stewart Head! Stop it!

Nooo, why on earth did they make him look like a rockabilly grandma?

• Like 6

Nooo, why on earth did they make him look like a rockabilly grandma?

Can we make a musical called Rockabilly Grandma?

• Like 8