🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 11 Repo! the Genetic Opera

Can we make a musical called Rockabilly Grandma?

Only if you promise to star in it :)

• Like 5

Is Geneco providing the surgeries/organs as well as the financing? or is it an organ lender/financing company only?

As a lender, they should probably put in place stricter guidelines, since they end up having to repossess a majority of the organs..

I got the impression that GeneCo was both provider and lender since Paul Sorvino tells Paris Hilton that he'll get his best sugreons on it to fix her face after her surgery fuck up

• Like 6

I got the impression that GeneCo was both provider and lender since Paul Sorvino tells Paris Hilton that he'll get his best sugreons on it to fix her face after her surgery fuck up

Were his surgeons responsible for her face falling off? Or was that part of the original damage from the back alley surgeon?

• Like 5

This seems like a really expensive outfit, really.

So it seems to me that the main things that GeneCo deal in are:

1) replacement organs

2) highly addictive bathtub heroin to make surgery painless

But to make the organs affordable they make them cheap enough for everyone to be able to afford them, but it also seems like the point is to get the users onto the synthetic horse that they're peddling. And when people can't afford to pay, they employ a whole squad of vigilante sadists to tear out organs and, what? Throw them in buckets and drawers and pockets and shit? Surely now the next person who gets that organ will notice it's uh, pre-loved? But in the end it seems like they're spending all this money and no one can afford to keep their organs. Why not phase out the organs part now that everyone's addicted to the synthetic drug they make?

Add to that, they show people getting BRAIN transplants. How can they be the same person after a brain transplant?

And what about infections? The alley surgery makes that guy who did the Joker's surgery in Tim Burton's 'Batman' look like Andre Nowzick (heyoo lurker Scheer!).

• Like 6

Were his surgeons responsible for her face falling off? Or was that part of the original damage from the back alley surgeon?

Sorvino says that he will get his surgeons to fix her face before she performs that night, so I assumed it was his surgeons that did it, but because it was rushed job or it didn't set caused her face to fall off.

That's another failing of this movie though or of the script, things like this aren't explained, like WHY her face falls off.

• Like 6

I never understood the purpose of introducing the Zydrate for any reason other then the writers had the Zydrate Anatomy number in their head or already written and felt forced to put it in. Or to give Zdunich, the co-writer, his big number and a reason for being a "Graverobber". If it's to be a "Graverobber", why couldn't he just be robbing graves of organs and doing black market surgeries? The synthetic heroin painkiller whatever it is, plays no part in the plot. It exists only for the big number (albeit the most memorable number).

• Like 7

I'm struggling to remember anything of significance to talk about...

tenor.gif

• Like 8

On a weird note, in this week's episode of the Canon, Darren Bousman was (sorta) referenced in their talk about Shakespeare in Love.

I thought it was weird that Rotti wanted Shilo to be the Geneco heir-- I get it that he didn't think his kids deserved it--But he wanted to give it to his ex-fiance (who he killed)'s kid?

• Like 4

Hey what's the deal with the Zydrate the graverobber steals? So you're saying to junkies, "hey, don't bother with that expensive Zydrate the corporation sells you, just shoot up this corpse snot, it's essentially the same thing."

Why do corpses have heavy drugs stored in their skulls? Why does it glow? Why buy it when you can just go suck on a corpse's nose?

• Like 7

Why buy it when you can just go suck on a corpse's nose?

200.gif#3-grid1

• Like 8

I thought it was weird that Rotti wanted Shilo to be the Geneco heir-- I get it that he didn't think his kids deserved it--But he wanted to give it to his ex-fiance (who he killed)'s kid?

I wondered if Rotti might be her biological father. Is that possible? Do we have a definitive timeline?

• Like 5

I wondered if Rotti might be her biological father. Is that possible? Do we have a definitive timeline?

Shilo's mom jumped into bed with Giles pretty fast and then immediately got married. Surely Rotti has some suspicion that Shilo could be his. Maybe Shilo's mom was pulling a cuckoo job on Giles.

• Like 5

Shilo's mom jumped into bed with Giles pretty fast and then immediately got married. Surely Rotti has some suspicion that Shilo could be his. Maybe Shilo's mom was pulling a cuckoo job on Giles.

I mean it could also just be Shilo reminded him of her mother...

But I agree, leaving it to her is stupid. She's been cloistered for 17 years with minimal schooling and no business sense. And with Rotti's imminent death, it's not even like he has the time to mentor her into a proper heir. He might as well have chosen some random Zydrate addicted street urchin to run his company.

• Like 5

I mean it could also just be Shilo reminded him of her mother...

But I agree, leaving it to her is stupid. She's been cloistered for 17 years with minimal schooling and no business sense. And with Rotti's imminent death, it's not even like he has the time to mentor her into a proper heir. He might as well have chosen some random Zydrate addicted street urchin to run his company.

Exactly, she has no clue wtf is going on (I don't blame her...).

• Like 5

Rotti should have left his company to Anthony Stewart Head since they had the shared love for Shilo's mother (ew) and, more importantly, Head would then finally have the resources to Repo THE ENTIRE WORLD.

• Like 5

Did Nathan (Head) have Munchausen Syndrome by proxy?

Are we sure he didn't poison his wife as well to make her sick in the first place??

Since Rotti revealed at the end Nathan was poisoning Shilo-- to keep her super sick so she wouldn't leave him..(real fucked up)

I mean he could have done it to his wife too, and then Rotti went all the way / gave enough poison to kill her?

• Like 4

I was so confused by the character of Nathan. Sometimes it seemed like he really didn't want to be doing this work. Then he puts on the suit and he is reveling in killing people and then he has Mauchusen Syndrome by proxy and is deliberately keeping her sick (but shit looking at this fucked up workd I don't really blame him) there was no consistency. Compare him, for example, with Sweeney Todd. Todd is fucked up from Jump Street and is consistent in what he does. He doesn't show Toby affection and doesnt reciprocate Mrs Lovett's affections. He is a cold killer who is plauged with doubts but never wavers. Nathan is all over the place.

• Like 3

I was so confused by the character of Nathan. Sometimes it seemed like he really didn't want to be doing this work. Then he puts on the suit and he is reveling in killing people and then he has Mauchusen Syndrome by proxy and is deliberately keeping her sick (but shit looking at this fucked up workd I don't really blame him) there was no consistency. Compare him, for example, with Sweeney Todd. Todd is fucked up from Jump Street and is consistent in what he does. He doesn't show Toby affection and doesnt reciprocate Mrs Lovett's affections. He is a cold killer who is plauged with doubts but never wavers. Nathan is all over the place.

Yea I didn't get his character either. I feel like they wanted the audience to sympathize with him... Like he's supposed to be seen as a good character but had inner turmoil fighting with the bad shit he does--like his job as Repo man, guilt about Marni, & making his daughter sick (maybe wife too initially?).

But since he seems to be a caring dad and is feeling guilty over his wife's death-- but the audience knows it was Rotti-- made it seem like we were supposed to take his side or sympathize with him.

But poisoning his daughter to keep her sick for 17 years is a tough "flaw" to forgive--so yeah I don't get what we were supposed to feel for him..

• Like 4

I do like the idea of, maybe, Nathan keeping his daughter sick being his way of keeping her away from the horrors of this world. A word that created him, someone who harvests organs of the poor. Maybe, he could be enacting his vengeful bloodlust, violence he wishes he could be enacting​ upon Rotti, upon the very people GeneCo is forcing him to harvest. That way, he could feel guilty for keeping his daughter a prisoner of her own body, guilty for his actions, and still get all blood-lusty when Repo-ing.

• Like 7

Again, we are all just speculating because even with all the world building exposition we are given no insights into the characters motivations. Its just poor writing.

For example, i just finished a new play based on Sarah orne Jewett's A White Heron today and sent it off to a trusted reader. What I thought was clear, he didn't get so now i know i need to go into rewrites on that. I think these writers had just lived with these characters for so long THEY knew the motivations and thought it was clear but didn't have editoral oversight to help them clean it up.

• Like 3

Again, we are all just speculating because even with all the world building exposition we are given no insights into the characters motivations. Its just poor writing.

Hey, this is an internet message board. Wild speculation is our bread and butter! And it speaks to Repo's quality that our random butter-churning is better than the writing in this movie.

Us:

giphy.gif

• Like 8

So, there's been some talk about Paul Sorvino and his singing, but I didn't have a problem with it really. Sorvino's a trained opera singer so it makes some sense for him to be in this, I just think the material isn't strong enough for him to carry the role.

Anyone else get a real Fulgencio Capulet vibe out of him in this movie, particularly the moments in the limo? He's essentially playing the same role as he played in Luhrmann's 'Romeo + Juliet' but without the decent writing to save him.

One thing I'd like to point out is that he sings in Luhrmann's 'Romeo + Juliet' as well, during Romeo's drug trip at the Capulet party, which is just an excerpt from his full singing version (which gets him a credit on the R+J soundtrack).

Here's the full ballroom version of the song: timecode embedding doesn't work on this forum so fast forward to 01.52.

He also sang in the nearly-forgotten 'Harlem Aria', where he (and his nipple) and a street hustler somehow sings Puccini (jump to 01.25):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj3Lp03l42w

Dude's plenty talented, it's just that he was singing some seriously horrible stuff in Repo! Thanks, Repo!.

• Like 8