🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 11 Repo! the Genetic Opera

it is mostly personal based on people who legit worship this film like it is the greatest thing ever without irony.

(they are Boondock Saints fans too...I imagine there is some crossover there).

You're probably right...

giphy.gif

• Like 6

Ellen (or anyone else) seen any of the other Bousman/ Zdunich movie musicals?

Devils Carnival or the sequel Alleluia! Devil's Carnival?

Looks like both have a good amount of Repo cast in it...

and then, looking at Alleluia's cast I noticed this:

tcUoVxz.png

• Like 6

tcUoVxz.png

IS HE STILL HANDSOME

• Like 9

IS HE STILL HANDSOME

uhh, this is what he looks like in it

ted-neeley-alleluia-devils-carnival-1b.jpg

344b3c40c647d47b716bee685b1cbe38.jpg

• Like 7

tcUoVxz.png

Oh shit. Adam Pascal (Roger) too...

• Like 8

uhh, this is what he looks like in it

ted-neeley-alleluia-devils-carnival-1b.jpg

344b3c40c647d47b716bee685b1cbe38.jpg

So, 100% still handsome.

• Like 9

I have not and am currently made of questions.

• Like 7

I have not and am currently made of questions.

seems like they wanted to make a prequel &/or sequel to Repo, and they did these instead?

In regards to the possibility of a sequel, Vega has been quoted as saying: "From the very, very beginning, we always talked about a prequel or a sequel to this film. And it's hard, because as of right now, we all want to do it, but, you know, it didn't really do as we hoped. We didn't really have a lot of support. But we're hoping that the fans will come back, and it will be an underground cult classic that will grow, and that will eventually spark us to do another."[20] Bousman also indicated interest, stating; "I would love to follow up Repo and finish the story, because it was conceived as a three-part movie. But this movie is all about support from the internet, and support from fans. This is not a movie where you'll see billboards or bus stop ads or trailers on TV." It was additionally expected that Hilton would return in her role as Amber Sweet.[21] However, in a video posted on YouTube, it was revealed that they "no longer control the answer to the question [of a future sequel]" since they no longer have ownership of the franchise, thus driving Bousman and Zdunich to make The Devil's Carnival.
  • Like 4

I need to find this movie.

Save it for your next pick :)

• Like 6

Save it for your next pick :)

Apparently it was well-received. Good thing I had nothing planned tonight lol

• Like 6

I know there were some comparisons to JCS..

Apparently Bousman was a big fan of JCS (and Tommy, like I mentioned earlier)

from the IMDB of Alleluia:

Director Darren Lynn Bousman has stated that he is a big fan of the film Jesus Christ Superstar (1973) and it's one of the movies that made him want to be a director. Because of this, not only did he cast Ted Neeley (the actor who played Jesus in Jesus Christ Superstar) as The Publicist, but he also included a short cameo from Barry Dennen (Pontius Pilate in Jesus Christ Superstar) in the film, as a Denizen of Heaven that is briefly seen with The Publicist.

I didn't really dig Repo that much, but admit I am now curious about these

• Like 5

I know there were some comparisons to JCS..

Apparently Bousman was a big fan of JCS (and Tommy, like I mentioned earlier)

from the IMDB of Alleluia:

I didn't really dig Repo that much, but admit I am now curious about these

And like High School Musical, there are 3 movies (at least planned - only 2 Devil's Carnivals have been made).

• Like 4

I don't have a lot of comments right now. Hoping to watch this tomorrow night. In the meantime..

1) Apropos of nothing, I keep getting Anthony Head and Anthony Heald confused. (Anthony Heald is the doctor that antagonizes Hannibal Lecter in The Silence of the Lambs

2) Does anyone know why Anthony Stewart Head is credited as such? I'm always interested in the stories behind credited names. (For instance, Michael J. Fox had to come up with a middle initial because there was already a Michael Fox working.) In one thing I read it said Anthony Head mainly goes without the Stewart in British/U.K. productions.

• Like 3

OK, new movie idea: HSM/Repo! mashup with Sharpay as the "heroine" instead of Shilo.

• Like 6

I don't have a lot of comments right now. Hoping to watch this tomorrow night. In the meantime..

1) Apropos of nothing, I keep getting Anthony Head and Anthony Heald confused. (Anthony Heald is the doctor that antagonizes Hannibal Lecter in The Silence of the Lambs

2) Does anyone know why Anthony Stewart Head is credited as such? I'm always interested in the stories behind credited names. (For instance, Michael J. Fox had to come up with a middle initial because there was already a Michael Fox working.) In one thing I read it said Anthony Head mainly goes without the Stewart in British/U.K. productions.

I don't remember where I got it from but I seem to recall that there already was a Anthony Head in the US Actors Guild, so he added the Stewart,

• Like 4

ETA: I mean in the names. I hear Anthony Head and think of Anthony Heald and vice versa. That's what I get for not watching Buffy (Heresy, I know).

• Like 1

When the Wikipedia cast list of Alleluia was posted I was going to make fun of the name Jimmy Urine. (How could any parents name their kid Jimmy?!? The cruelty!) I guess Jimmy Urine is a serious songster, both from his Wikipedia bio and a song of his was in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 that I saw tonight. Impressive!

• Like 5

I mean I got to the random punk outburst of Alexa Vega singing about being 17 and I just laughed so hard and said "kay I can't handle this anymore tonight"

• Like 8

I mean I got to the random punk outburst of Alexa Vega singing about being 17 and I just laughed so hard and said "kay I can't handle this anymore tonight"

For me, that's the roughest part of the movie to sit through by far.

• Like 6

I was doing some digging and based on what has been said here and some of what I've found I'm more confused than ever. Basically I was thinking while I was watching this movie "For non-trained singers I guess they're giving it their best" however, I've come to find out that every member of the main cast is either trained or has recorded music professionally. As mentioned you have the incredible talent that is Sarah Brightman, Paul Sorvino trained in opera, Anthony Head trained in music theater, Alex Vega has a number of singles released same with Paris Hilton, Orge from Skinny Puppy, and even horror icon Bill Moseley was the lead singer for a band called the Cornbugs. So now I'm left wondering, what went wrong?

Was it they weren't given enough time to practice and rehearse the songs because of the small budget? Was it that the music was just poorly written making it hard for people to sing in general? Then it got me thinking a bit about Hamilton. What these two musicals have in common is that they are breaking away from the traditional style of music that musicals are done in. As a result you can't just take someone who can sing and plop them into the role. If they're not verse in the style of singing it just throws it off. Is it then the case that these people just weren't right for the style of music in Repo!?

• Like 8

I know someone else mentioned this, but how do you have Joan fuckin' Jett in your Musical and not have her sing? I guess she's the only one capable of hammering out those power chords...

• Like 7

I was doing some digging and based on what has been said here and some of what I've found I'm more confused than ever. Basically I was thinking while I was watching this movie "For non-trained singers I guess they're giving it their best" however, I've come to find out that every member of the main cast is either trained or has recorded music professionally. As mentioned you have the incredible talent that is Sarah Brightman, Paul Sorvino trained in opera, Anthony Head trained in music theater, Alex Vega has a number of singles released same with Paris Hilton, Orge from Skinny Puppy, and even horror icon Bill Moseley was the lead singer for a band called the Cornbugs. So now I'm left wondering, what went wrong?

Was it they weren't given enough time to practice and rehearse the songs because of the small budget? Was it that the music was just poorly written making it hard for people to sing in general? Then it got me thinking a bit about Hamilton. What these two musicals have in common is that they are breaking away from the traditional style of music that musicals are done in. As a result you can't just take someone who can sing and plop them into the role. If they're not verse in the style of singing it just throws it off. Is it then the case that these people just weren't right for the style of music in Repo!?

Oh yeah this entire time I've been thinking about Alexa Vega does not have the voice to support this style of music. Like I don't want to say she's a weak singer because I can hear that she does have talent there but you need a specific kind of power behind the voice to support the notes she's been given. I feel like Haley Williams of Paramore would've knocked this out. Or maybe it would work if they didn't give Alexa such low notes? Cause she seems to struggle with notes that force her to sing from her chest rather than her head.

Also this music just really sucks. Sing talking isn't fun when it sounds like they're just making up notes as they go.

• Like 6