๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 11 Repo! the Genetic Opera

Oh yeah this entire time I've been thinking about Alexa Vega does not have the voice to support this style of music. Like I don't want to say she's a weak singer because I can hear that she does have talent there but you need a specific kind of power behind the voice to support the notes she's been given. I feel like Haley Williams of Paramore would've knocked this out. Or maybe it would work if they didn't give Alexa such low notes? Cause she seems to struggle with notes that force her to sing from her chest rather than her head.

ย 

Also this music just really sucks. Sing talking isn't fun when it sounds like they're just making up notes as they go.

ย 

Confession time: I'm really starting to like "Zydrate Anatomy." It was the first song I played during my warm up this morning, and I have to admit, it had me shaking my booty :)

ย 

As for Vega, here's one problem. She's singing from the attic and this needs to be coming from the basement. Another problem I had is that she had a real case of "Department Store Pop Princess" going on. A DSPP is a young teenage girl* (around 12-14) who walks around a store with her friend, singing to herself. There's always this air of "Oh, was that out loud. I'm sorry, the music sometimes just comes out of me." Also, it's not singing to whatever's being pumped in to the store. It's always some random song that she feels like singing for all the lucky passers-by - all in the hope that someone will stop her and tell her what a lovely singing voice she has. Like Vega, it's not that they're "bad," they hit the right notes and everything, it just always sounds so generic to me.

ย 

*I'm sure there are teenage boys who do this, too. I've just never come across one.

• Like 6

Another problem I had is that she had a real case of "Hot Topic Pop Princess" going on.

FTFY

• Like 6

ย 

Confession time: I'm really starting to like "Zydrate Anatomy." It was the first song I played during my warm up this morning, and I have to admit, it had me shaking my booty :)

ย 

As for Vega, here's one problem. She's singing from the attic and this needs to be coming from the basement. Another problem I had is that she had a real case of "Department Store Pop Princess" going on. A DSPP is a young teenage girl* (around 12-14) who walks around a store with her friend, singing to herself. There's always this air of "Oh, was that out loud. I'm sorry, the music sometimes just comes out of me." Also, it's not singing to whatever's being pumped in to the store. It's always some random song that she feels like singing for all the lucky passers-by - all in the hope that someone will stop her and tell her what a lovely singing voice she has. Like Vega, it's not that they're "bad," they hit the right notes and everything, it just always sounds so generic to me.

ย 

*I'm sure there are teenage boys who do this, too. I've just never come across one.

I bought Zydrate Anatomy on iTunes this morning for a lot of the same reasons. I also have to thank whoever posted the YouTube clip earlier. I've been watching that a bunch and will have some questions soon.

ย 

Until I saw the clip I didn't realize it was two different women singing. For most of it I thought Paris was singing both parts (meaning I thought the lines were for the one character). Just shows what kind of ear I have. :mellow: There wasn't enough distinction between the two voices (and the notes seemed to be in the same area) to instantly realize the interplay.

• Like 4

I mean I got to the random punk outburst of Alexa Vega singing about being 17 and I just laughed so hard and said "kay I can't handle this anymore tonight"

ย 

After I got through the early phase of "Wow, this movie is amazing", cards on the table I usually skip Alexa Vega's parts. Unless it's with Anthony Head. We all must suffer for art sometimes.

ย 

Then it got me thinking a bit about Hamilton. What these two musicals have in common is that they are breaking away from the traditional style of music that musicals are done in. As a result you can't just take someone who can sing and plop them into the role. If they're not verse in the style of singing it just throws it off. Is it then the case that these people just weren't right for the style of music in Repo!?

I would agree 100%. You can't just have any Broadway actor be Thomas Jefferson/Lafayette. It takes an emcee. Same with Angelica Schulyer, like LMM has said that he can't even do Satisfied.

ย 

Vega has a good voice, just not for this role. Which is why I feel Paris Hilton kills this performance.

• Like 6

Zydrate Anatomy questions:

1) Video: Is the Cyrillic writing on the addiction group meeting poster just an "appropriation" a la A Clockwork Orange or did it mean something else? (In A Clockwork Orange a lot of Alex's words are Russian or "Russian-ish" like "droogs".)

ย 

2) Song: I still don't understand the purpose of Zydrate. Is it a general-purpose anesthetic to make surgeries cheaper (and make back-alley surgeries possible)? When I had a colonoscopy I was knocked out but I wasn't turning tricks a month later. (It was two months later.)

ย 

3) Song: Related to #2 - In proper surgeries the anesthesiologist has to do a bunch of calculations to make sure they use the right type and amount of anesthetic. I suppose Zydrate being a one-size-fits-all option just allows GeneCo to profit from the bodies created if the Zydrate winds up killing the patient?

ย 

(To be continued)

• Like 6

ย 

2) Song: I still don't understand the purpose of Zydrate. Is it a general-purpose anesthetic to make surgeries cheaper (and make back-alley surgeries possible)? When I had a colonoscopy I was knocked out but I wasn't turning tricks a month later. (It was two months later.)

ย 

ย 

I really really don't understand Zydrate. I don't know why it connects to surgery or why you can get a good quality sample from dead bodies. I feel like its supposed to be something like heroin, but to my knowledge, you can't harvest heroin from a dead body. Maybe you can. I'm not a scientist.

• Like 8

I bought Zydrate Anatomy on iTunes this morning for a lot of the same reasons. I also have to thank whoever posted the YouTube clip earlier. I've been watching that a bunch and will have some questions soon.

ย 

Until I saw the clip I didn't realize it was two different women singing. For most of it I thought Paris was singing both parts (meaning I thought the lines were for the one character). Just shows what kind of ear I have. :mellow: There wasn't enough distinction between the two voices (and the notes seemed to be in the same area) to instantly realize the interplay.

I mean before Paris/Amber shows up I got that was Alexa/Shilo singing. Once Paris arrived Alexa faded.

• Like 3

When my community theater was picking out its next shoe, i was pushing hard for Rock of ages. But a friend of mine pointed out that no one in our "company" (for lack of a better term) has that rock voice.

ย 

I don't know if getting rock singers instead of two Broadway trained, one opera trained, two pop singers, and two punk singers would have worked better (because the music wasn't good either. There are some real rhyming reaches and basic problems). I think the reason Zydrate Anatomy works is becaise it is mostly on The Gravedigger who is the writer of the show. He GETS the piece and had been performing it for years.

• Like 3

My theory regarding the zydrate is that they had this idea for a song and worked it in even though it makes no sense and has no pay off.

• Like 2

Also, according to a review I read on iTunes "Zydrate Anatomy" was written specifically for the movie. That may be another reason why it's a little more polished.

• Like 7

Zydrate Anatomy questions:

1) Video: Is the Cyrillic writing on the addiction group meeting poster just an "appropriation" a la A Clockwork Orange or did it mean something else? (In A Clockwork Orange a lot of Alex's words are Russian or "Russian-ish" like "droogs".)

ย 

ย 

3) Song: Related to #2 - In proper surgeries the anesthesiologist has to do a bunch of calculations to make sure they use the right type and amount of anesthetic. I suppose Zydrate being a one-size-fits-all option just allows GeneCo to profit from the bodies created if the Zydrate winds up killing the patient?

ย 

(To be continued)

I think Cyrillic is used just because it is "stylized". I don't think there was a revolution or anything.

ย 

I figured it was a Brand Name drug, with the patent belonging to GeneCo. The stuff Graverobber was taking, due to it being "used", was off-market zydrate. I just assumed it was one-size fits all. It's the future, maybe it's a smart!drug and can metabolize itself in a patient. Problems then arise when people get multiple surgeries (...surgeries).

ย 

I never thought about Zydrate actually killing anyone but I've already demonstrated my lack of depth in this movie re: guns and batteries.

• Like 7

Ellen got an avatar!

ย 

You're not supposed to make a big deal about it, nerd.

• Like 6

Now I can't remember how to change it from Advanced Member to what I want it to be.

• Like 6

ย 

Now I can't remember how to change it from Advanced Member to what I want it to be.

ย 

I'm on my phone so I can't confirm, but I think you just go to "edit my profile." It should be one of the fields.

ย 

ETA: I think there are some requirements to unlock some customization, though. Number of posts or likes. But you've probably hit those benchmarks by now.

• Like 2

I make a big deal about everything, that's my deal, narc.

• Like 6

I'm on my phone so I can't confirm, but I think you just go to "edit my profile." It should be one of the fields.

My Settings -> Edit my settings -> halfway down the page

• Like 4

ย 

ย 

How does me calling you a nerd make me a narc? However, I would like to talk to you about the kilo of coke I found hidden in The Canon's forum...

• Like 3

Also, according to a review I read on iTunes "Zydrate Anatomy" was written specifically for the movie. That may be another reason why it's a little more polished.

if the other songs were more polished like "Zydrate Anatomy", I probably would have liked the movie more.

ย 

I agree with what everyone else has already mentioned, that it is unfortunate the songs didn't really work with or highlight what the actors can do with their voices.

Since most have some sort of singing background. I did notice there would be some little moments in songs where I'd be like "oh maybe they actually can sing?" and then I'd change my mind.

• Like 6

As we now wait to see what EllenMC shall become...

• Like 4

How does me calling you a nerd make me a narc? However, I would like to talk to you about the kilo of coke I found hidden in The Canon's forum...

Mostly because you called me out. And I originally mistyped it so I called you Marc instead. Marc Blucas, I assume.

ย 

As for the Canon stash, be cool, man, be cool

• Like 4

This is giving me flashbacks to when I didn't know how to gif. It still may take me a while, guys and gals. The sad part was at the legal clinic I worked at, my midterm evaluation complimented me on being "technologically savvy".

ย 

Edit: The only option it's giving me is to change my display name, so I'm probably not established enough yet with this new account.

• Like 4

...I called you Marc instead. Marc Blucas, I assume.

ย 

Low blow, man.

ย 

As for the Canon stash, be cool, man, be cool

ย 

CakeBug:

ย 

tenor.gif

ย 

"Now let me tell you cock-a-roaches why Shakespeare in Love deserves to be in The Canon..."

• Like 7

I enjoyed reading all 9 pages of this and multi-quoted like 23+ post to make the longest reply-o-rama yet but it keeps showing an error message so I'll post some of my notes for REPO! but I want you to know that if I write something that was already posted is all your fault and the error message not me Ok? Basically I'm 100% free of guilt #O.J.I.O.

ย 

Here we go...

ย 

*The movie takes place in 2057 because Alexa Vega's mom died in 2040 and it's 17 years after that

ย 

*Anthony Stewart Head M.V.P. (sorry, not sorry) His first song was my favourite... Paul Sorvino close second (Sarah Brightman was not included for this poll, she is a great succesful singer in her own right I was just ranking the actors)

ย 

*Actual File Photo of REPO's Director of Photograpy (Dark and blurry was her go-to)

ย 

theysavedlisasbrain5.png

ย 

* I totally called that Blind Mag was going to take out her own eyes as soon as she was on stage with those long fingernails, but her falling to be impalled by that fence and dying was a surprise (The genetic opera uses real metalic fence props for stage dressing I guess...) I hated everything that happened after that, (plotwise) Nonsense ending that did not follow any setup or rules

ย 

* Besides the ridiculous gore and violence... The two scenes that I found to be gratuitous are Paris Hilton getting a Zydrate shot in her inner right thigh inches away from her vajayjay (Why??? Was she feeling pain there???) and the opera audience member that got naked in seconds because she got a kidney implant/transplant so she can drink a lot of alcohol

ย 

* The comic book back stories didn't even match some of the live action counterparts (Repo gives his wife the poison in bed before she goes into emergency labour in the comic but she is standing in the live action flashback of that scene) and that bothered me

ย 

* A started Repo! last night after midnight and got to the part where blind Mag Visits Shilo and then Giles enters and I finished it this morning so... I pulled a 2 seater

ย 

ย 

Thats all I seem to remember from my notes at this point... I'll probably post more some time later

ย 

Thank you for reading!

• Like 6

imkindofabiddeal.jpg

• Like 6