๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
JulyDiaz

Episode 162 - My Stepmother Is An Alien: LIVE!

So for Mother's Day my mom and I went on a road trip and I got her to listen to 4 episodes of HDTGM. After listening to My Stepmother is an Alien I had to make her listen to Mannequin 2 for the, "Where does the butt start???" reference. During the talk about why Barbie doesn't have nipples my mother says, "They put'er in a brar"

ย 

Y'all my mom has officially become one of us.

ย 

ย 

Also I completely forgot I got a shout out during Mannequin 2 and my mom flipped a shit lol

ย 

• Like 13

After listening to My Stepmother is an Alien I had to make her listen to Mannequin 2 for the, "Where does the butt start???" reference.

ย 

I also did this!!!

• Like 5

When Celeste is making a case for the Earth. In her list of good things the Earth has that their home world does not one of the things she cites is children. This raises a fascinating question about these aliens. The council shows us that these aliens do age. Celeste even states that she is 1,296 years old and that her species reproduces by synthesis, which is basically cloning. However, despite the clone containing the same genetic makeup it does come out the exact age you are now or just quickly grow to your age and stop. It ages at a regular rate. Also it doesn't know what you know. It still has to learn every from speaking to motor skills. So even those they reproduce via synthesis there mus be a child phase when they are aging and learning, right?

• Like 4

When Celeste is making a case for the Earth. In her list of good things the Earth has that their home world does not one of the things she cites is children. This raises a fascinating question about these aliens. The council shows us that these aliens do age. Celeste even states that she is 1,296 years old and that her species reproduces by synthesis, which is basically cloning. However, despite the clone containing the same genetic makeup it does come out the exact age you are now or just quickly grow to your age and stop. It ages at a regular rate. Also it doesn't know what you know. It still has to learn every from speaking to motor skills. So even those they reproduce via synthesis there mus be a child phase when they are aging and learning, right?

ย 

The movie can't make up its mind about the biology of the aliens. Celeste is told that she's been given a human body, which implies that she isn't normally humanoid, as demonstrated by her fondness for battery acid, which doesn't melt her innards on contact, so maybe she still has alien guts? Yet still thinks that Earth food is delicious?

ย 

And then there's the fact that the aliens on her home world are humanoid, but the worm is not? Maybe the aliens breed through synthesis but mature through metamorphosis ... maybe the worm is the larval stage of their development. Might explain why the worm throws such a tantrum when Celeste opts not to destroy the Earth.

• Like 5

Question for the field: would you rather live in Jon Lovitz's place from this movie, or Tom Hanks' pad in Big?

• Like 3

Question for the field: would you rather live in Jon Lovitz's place from this movie, or Tom Hanks' pad in Big?

ย 

Tom Hank's apartment (location, location, location), but that bunk bed has got to go.

• Like 4

The movie can't make up its mind about the biology of the aliens. Celeste is told that she's been given a human body, which implies that she isn't normally humanoid, as demonstrated by her fondness for battery acid, which doesn't melt her innards on contact, so maybe she still has alien guts? Yet still thinks that Earth food is delicious?

ย 

Where does the (alien) butt start?

• Like 4

ย 

I'm so glad you brought this up, not that I have anything to really add to it specifically, but it gives me a chance to post some math I did for a C&O that turned out to be a dud.

ย 

I thought the movie said Celeste's people had outlawed sex 3,000 years ago. However, I can't find that quote in the movie anywhere. :( My point was going to be, if she's nearly 1,300 years old, and the elder's are considerably older than her, they shouldn't need Lovitz to explain sex to them because the Elders should be old enough to remember it.

ย 

Based on Celeste's estimate that Willow appears to be about 600 years old, and the fact we know Willow is 13 human years, we can determine that Celeste's species age ~1 year for every 46.2 human years (600/13 = 46.153). This seems to be confirmed in that Celeste appears to be approximately a little more than twice as old as Willow (600 x 2 = 1200; 13 x 2 = 26) Granted, Basinger was 35 when this movie was made, but I have no problem that she's playing ~27.

ย 

So, armed with this information, I divided 3,000 by 46.2 Earth years to determine whether the Elders could have theoretically been alive when sex was still legal in their society. This number came to about 65 years old - which seems about right for their ages, but might be cutting it close in terms of having personal experience with sex.

ย 

Of course, all this turned out to be for naught anyway when I couldn't find the line about outlawing sex 3,000 years ago. The closest I came was a line about their culture being 5,500 years more advanced than ours, which was not only a bummer, but also further disproved my theory.

ย 

Still, if anyone ever wanted to know how their age corresponds to the aliens' ages in My Stepmother is an Alien, now you know. :)

• Like 2

And then there's the fact that the aliens on her home world are humanoid, but the worm is not? Maybe the aliens breed through synthesis but mature through metamorphosis ... maybe the worm is the larval stage of their development. Might explain why the worm throws such a tantrum when Celeste opts not to destroy the Earth.

Basically from my notes the writers were also conflicted on what exactly the thing in her purse is. At one point it is referred to as the Monshine40 and then a device that comes from Monshine40 the most advanced research facility in the northern universe. Putting aside the fact that the universe doesn't have a north, it's still unclear if the eye is the bag or it just lives in the bag and the bad is the device. I think the implication is the bag is a hyper advance AI system and the eye thing is part of it and not an alien itself. Then again, I could be wrong because none of this is fleshed out well.

ย 

I may answer this in more detail later but I'd need to watch the movie again and I don't really want to do that.

ย 

PS: Hank's apartment for sure!

• Like 1

ย 

ย 

ย 

This bugged me too! We're told that physiologically she's the same as a human, but she can stick her hand in a pot of boiling water without any adverse effects. Which is it movie: is she basically human or not?

• Like 4

She seemed surprised that Willow was so short, so I'm guessing that their clones come out the exact age? Otherwise the concept of offspring going through a growing phase wouldn't have seemed so foreign (put'er in a brawr).

• Like 2

I'm so glad you brought this up, not that I have anything to really add to it specifically, but it gives me a chance to post some math I did for a C&O that turned out to be a dud.

ย 

I thought the movie said Celeste's people had outlawed sex 3,000 years ago. However, I can't find that quote in the movie anywhere. :(/> My point was going to be, if she's nearly 1,300 years old, and the elder's are considerably older than her, they shouldn't need Lovitz to explain sex to them, because the Elders should be old enough to remember it.

ย 

Based on Celeste's estimate that Willow appears to be about 600 years old, and the fact we know Willow is 13 human years, we can determine that Celeste's species age ~1 year for every 46.2 human years (600/13 = 46.153). This seems to be confirmed in that Celeste appears to be appropriately a little more than twice as old as Willow (600 x 2 = 1200; 13 x 2 = 26) Granted, Basinger was 35 when this movie was made, but I have no problem that she's playing ~27.

ย 

So, armed with this information, I divided 3,000 by 46.2 Earth years to determine whether the Elders could have theoretically been alive when sex was still legal in their society. This number came to about 65 years old - which seems about right for their ages, but might be cutting it close in terms of having personal experience with sex.

ย 

Of course, all this turned out to be for naught anyway when I couldn't find the line about outlawing sex 3,000 years ago. The closest I came was a line about their culture being 5,500 years more advanced than ours, which was not only a bummer, but also further disproved my theory.

ย 

Still, if anyone ever wanted to know how their age corresponds to the aliens' ages in My Stepmother is an Alien, now you know. :)/>

They don't even say 5,500 years they say 55 centuries which is far worse writing.

ย 

The other thing is she says they got rid of sex because it was inefficient and messy. She just learned what sex was the day before and yet nowhere in her military educational films or adult videos did it cover that sex was how people reproduce. It was just a fun activity like kissing. Yet the following day she is now aware that sex was what her people use to do to reproduce but it was done away with.

ย 

Was it a case of once was said and done she was able to fit this new English word into her vocabulary? Like X in her language is what Earthlings call sex so now she is aware of what this concept was? This still doesn't cover the fact when did she learn that sex means having offspring.

ย 

I take it back, must have been from the works of Shakespeare.

• Like 2

Speaking of sex - the purse snake's dictionary is ridiculous. Dictionaries are ordered by frequency of usage, so to have the act of sexual intercourse listed as the fourth option of definition for 'sex' (behind the bad Sak's pun) is ridiculous.

ย 

Here's how it's listed in the Oxford English Dictionary:3R2hcxA.png

• Like 4

Speaking of sex - the purse snake's dictionary is ridiculous. Dictionaries are ordered by frequency of usage, so to have the act of sexual intercourse listed as the fourth option of definition for 'sex' (behind the bad Sak's pun) is ridiculous.

ย 

Here's how it's listed in the Oxford English Dictionary:

ย 

http://imgur.com/a/jPhRu

ย 

But if it was written based on the aliens' usage, and not human usage, wouldn't that be about right?

• Like 2

ย 

Here's how it's listed in the Oxford English Dictionary:

ย 

http://imgur.com/a/jPhRu

Also why was the definition of sex relating to the act of making love deleted? She establishes at the end of the movie that once upon a time they did do it, so it should be in there or at least read as "4. An inefficient and messy way of reproduction stopped 3,000 years ago"

• Like 3

Also why was the definition of sex relating to the act of making love deleted? She establishes at the end of the movie that once upon a time they did do it, so it should be in there or at least read as "4. An inefficient and messy way of reproduction stopped 3,000 years ago"

ย 

Wait! Are you referencing my previous post or did you find the "3,000 years ago" line?

• Like 2

ย 

Wait! Are you referencing my previous post or did you find the "3,000 years ago" line?

Referencing your post.

ย 

I just went back to rewatch that scene to double check if a year is said (sorry but no) and I saw this:

ย 

A3NCB2B.jpg

ย 

Ham and cheese on rye with mayo? What about the lettuce Dan? What about the lettuce?

• Like 4

ย 

Referencing your post.

ย 

I just went back to rewatch that scene to double check if a year is said (sorry but no) and I saw this:

ย 

Oh...no, that's cool...

ย 

ย 

A3NCB2B.jpg

ย 

Ham and cheese on rye with mayo? What about the lettuce Dan? What about the lettuce?

ย 

Ugh! Gross! She may be an alien, but it's clear to me who the monster is.

• Like 5

This bugged me too! We're told that physiologically she's the same as a human, but she can stick her hand in a pot of boiling water without any adverse effects. Which is it movie: is she basically human or not?

ย 

Also... Will she now eat human earth food or does she still have to drink batteries left and right???

• Like 4

ย 

Also... Will she now eat human earth food or does she still have to drink batteries left and right???

ย 

She'll eat human food but will have to take AAA batteries as a supplement.

• Like 3

ย 

ย 

She'll probably throw down a battery or two now and then. Can't quit batteries cold turkey.

• Like 5

People seem flummoxed a bit by the revelation that "Jericho" originally intended this movie to be a drama about child abuse, but the signs are there if you look closely enough.

ย 

For example, Dan Aykroyd leaves Jon Lovitz's adult sex party with Kim Basinger, heading directly to his office. This was the same adult sex party where children were working as waiters, including his own daughter! So if Akyroyd jetted directly out of this party to his workplace, how did Alyson Hannigan get home? She's not old enough to drive, and at this time of night public transit probably isn't a great option. Maybe she had to call a cab and pay out of her own earnings as a cocktail waitress? It would be more plausible that she'd just stay at Lovitz's place, given that he's her uncle and all, but nope, once Aykroyd and Basinger come home she is asleep in her own bed.

ย 

There's no explanation for this occurrence. Aykroyd leaves the party without making any arrangements for his daughter and then is unsurprised when she made it home without him. She watches him go without batting an eye (indeed, even seems pleased that he's going out with a beautiful woman). All of this suggests that this kind of thing has happened before. Willow has probably had to make her own arrangements to take care of herself many times now, even long before anyone had to "put er in a brar." What other problems might her father have going on that cause him to be so absent-minded about raising his only child? Perhaps only Jericho can answer that.

• Like 2

Yeah, there's definitely child neglect going on. I think it's good that Alyson Hannigan got to hang out at the singles party because at least there were vegetables. Aykroyd mentioned that dinner is whatever they could nuke and I have a feeling he doesn't provide a nutritious meal for his daughter regularly.

• Like 4

This has precious little to do with the much better longer discussions going on - and if I missed it, I apologize - but I did find it mildly interesting that (according to IMDB) this was actually Juliette Lewis' film debut.

• Like 1

ย 

Maybe? I've never seen ANY of the movies he made before this, so I can't say if he was really 'featured' in them or not:

Year Title Role

1984 Billions for Boris Benjamin 'Ape-Face' Andrews

1984 The Hotel New Hampshire "Egg' Berry

1986 Willy/Milly Malcolm

1987 Radio Days Joe

1987 Can't Buy Me Love Chuckie Miller

1988 Big Business Jason

ย 

Radio Days is really good, and one I'd recommend unless you are one of those folks who just can't watch anything by Woody Allen because of all the issues in his personal life. And even for those folks, I'll note that this is one Woody Allen movie in which he does not appear on screen (only does the narration).

• Like 1