🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Off-Week 11 (Maximiliano's Pick)

As long as it's not fucking All Dogs Go to Heaven. That movie has NOT aged well at all.

Why were cartoon movies so sad when I was a kid?! Add the Brave Little Toaster into the mix, and I was apparently crying through all my childhood cartoons.

• Like 7

I'm just glad to get a chance to revisit one of Troy and Abed's finest duets:

• Like 7

So is Fievel the Russian cousin of the rat family in Ratatouille (or vice versa since Fievel came first)? And where do The Rescuers come into this?

• Like 3

So is Fievel the Russian cousin of the rat family in Ratatouille (or vice versa since Fievel came first)? And where do The Rescuers come into this?

I know who could solve this.

large_rgB3pr1HjvM1vILylgl1TgsIXjH.jpg

• Like 9

I know who could solve this.

large_rgB3pr1HjvM1vILylgl1TgsIXjH.jpg

I LOVE THIS MOVIE!

True story: Our office had two mice running around for a long while (yep) and I named the larger grey one "Rattigan" and the smaller brown one "Basil" for obvious reasons. It actually stuck within our department and I was kinda sad to see Basil go cause he was genuinely super cute.

• Like 8

Oh man, I loved this movie when I was little. I think there's still a big stuffed toy of Fievel down in my parents' basement somewhere. Just gotta find some time to watch this. They've been working me a bunch this past month.

I feel awful because I've been keeping up with the musicals better than I have with the HDTGM movies.

• Like 9

I feel awful because I've been keeping up with the musicals better than I have with the HDTGM movies.

That's because, lately, we've picked better movies than the podcast has.

• Like 3

Common ancestor between mice and rats occurred ~20 million years ago, so... maybe?

This movie came out almost the exact time that Art Spiegelman's Maus came out. Both are stories about Jews fleeing persecution. In both cases, cats are the persecutors (here they are cossacks, in Maus they are Nazis). And of course, mice are the protagonists. Spiegelman actually sued on grounds of plagiarism (but did not win and/or dropped the suit).

I guess what I'm saying is, if Fievel has a cousin, it's Maus.

Maus.jpg

• Like 6

Common ancestor between mice and rats occurred ~20 million years ago, so... maybe?

This movie came out almost the exact time that Art Spiegelman's Maus came out. Both are stories about Jews fleeing persecution. In both cases, cats are the persecutors (here they are cossacks, in Maus they are Nazis). And of course, mice are the protagonists. Spiegelman actually sued on grounds of plagiarism (but did not win and/or dropped the suit).

I guess what I'm saying is, if Fievel has a cousin, it's Maus.

Maus.jpg

And his idiot second cousin is Pat Rat...

Pat_Rat.jpg

• Like 3

You guys keep Fievel, I'll take Fourvel.

four1.gif

ETA: I took out the dumb Canada-only video and replaced it with a gif.

• Like 5

^ The video is blocked in my country, but yes, I enjoy Fourvel.

• Like 1

Same.. I haven't watched My Stepmother is an Alien yet. I'm not sure if I will..

I've been trying to keep up with all the movies for the podcast this year, but idk.. I don't feel the motivation to watch it tbh.

That's because, lately, we've picked better movies than the podcast has.

and I agree .. even the "bad" MM picks have been better/ more fun than podcast picks lately (mostly)

• Like 5

If we want to get into animated mouse ancestry, then I propose 1982's (and a personal favorite of mine) The Secret of NIMH chronicles future mouse immigrant generations and, just like the Jews/mice in both American Tale and Maus, the persecution never stops. Is it possible that An American Tale is actually a (much more optimistic) prequel to NIMH? Is it possible to get any darker in an American animated movie without a portraying a Holocaust? It's this vs. Watership Down, basically.

giphy.gif

• Like 5

I'll probably watch An American Tail everyday this week at least once... (Yesterday I saw it twice :P) And during my breaks I'm listening to the soundtrack

Don't judge me!

Mz9By9v.gif

JBVGYwJ.gif

• Like 8

If we want to get into animated mouse ancestry, then I propose 1982's (and a personal favorite of mine) The Secret of NIMH chronicles future mouse immigrant generations and, just like the Jews/mice in both American Tale and Maus, the persecution never stops. Is it possible that An American Tale is actually a (much more optimistic) prequel to NIMH? Is it possible to get any darker in an American animated movie without a portraying a Holocaust? It's this vs. Watership Down, basically.

giphy.gif

I loooove Secret of NIMH. It's been a favorite of mine since I was little, and still holds up for the most part. Saying An American Tail is a predecessor to this rodent society would be an interesting take. As long as we can all agree that Secret of NIMH 2 NEVER HAPPENED.

I've heard Plague Dogs is also very dark, but I've never seen it. I saw Watership Down when I was young and NOT READY for it, but y'know, cartoons are only for little kids, right???

• Like 6

I love Secret of Nimh too (book is better!), but my favorite Don Bluth movie is Anastasia.

• Like 6

I love Secret of Nimh too (book is better!), but my favorite Don Bluth movie is Anastasia.

giphy.gif

• Like 7

I LOVE Anastasia. I mean it's a fantastic movie but also because I had a huge crush on Dimirti (if you can crush on cartoons).

• Like 8

(if you can crush on cartoons).

My first ever crush was Daphne from Scooby-Doo, and more recently I held a flame for Helen Parr.

I hear you.

• Like 8

I LOVE Anastasia. I mean it's a fantastic movie but also because I had a huge crush on Dimirti (if you can crush on cartoons).

Of course you can!

giphy.gif

• Like 7

Of course you can!

giphy.gif

Such a shame he's already spoke for

oy7tyJ0mjY5sk.gif

• Like 5

Such a shame he's already spoke for

oy7tyJ0mjY5sk.gif

I don't see a ring on it.

• Like 6