🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
mrbs

Followup/MiniEpisodes?

I'd really like to have Amy do more followup for the vote results.

Currently, there's a ~30 second bit where the result is shared, with flavor text giving a nod to the film's setting or theme… and that's it.

It doesn't need to be as extensive as 'How Did This Get Made' mini-episodes, but I'd love to hear 5-10 minutes of Amy relating and responding to some of the discussion. Brining up some common themes, any breaklines, fresh arguments, or counter arguments to the episode.

Reading the response on the forum are a big part of experiencing the canon, and I think Amy giving a distilled version instead of just reporting the result on the podcast would spread the love. Added bonus: It might have a knock-on effect of having more listeners come to the forum, and participate in the discussion, and give us a larger voting population.

• Like 1

This would be nice, but I think Amy's schedule probably requires her to pre-record a bunch of episodes ahead of time (hence why the announcements of Canon votes feel canned).

I realize that would require some timing, but what you point out is another shortcoming. Amy's not even invested in the result, as she's pre-recording one for each possibility.

You get 90 minutes of podcast debate, then a week of forum discussion, and then it's all capped off with… a pre-record with buzzwords?

It doesn't seem to do the rest of the process justice.

not trying to sound like an ass, but wouldn't you get all the information you're looking for by just reading the voting thread?

I think this all just goes to show that what is actually "Canonized" is not the real point of the show. It was always just a chance for critics to discuss different kinds of films and what makes them great (or not). The voting is a fun hook for listeners, not something the hosts take seriously.

• Like 2

not trying to sound like an ass, but wouldn't you get all the information you're looking for by just reading the voting thread?

Those that read it might, but that's a small, small subset of the podcast audience (I have to believe).

But the added benefit would be hearing Amy's response to the discussion. Maybe she's surprised that so many people got hung up on X, or maybe someone presented an argument that swayed her, or maybe she has a perfect counter to a point that went unchallenged on the boards. Or, at the very least, just reflecting a bit on how the vote actually went. That alone would be a nice improvement.

I think this all just goes to show that what is actually "Canonized" is not the real point of the show. It was always just a chance for critics to discuss different kinds of films and what makes them great (or not). The voting is a fun hook for listeners, not something the hosts take seriously.

Agreed. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't get the most out of that aspect of the show. I mean, it is the central conceit. And engendering more and better discussion seems like a good thing in general, and a good thing to strengthen the community around the podcast.

Well I'd enjoy such a mini-episode. That said, would the casual listener who doesn't post on the boards even bother to listen to mini-episodes? I guess a little more commentary on the discussion within the episode would be nice, but then again that might turn off the listener who didn't listen to previous week's episode.

I like the idea of a post-game wrap-up. Just Amy giving a short take on her reaction and a little analysis of the results,

Sign in to follow this