🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 2 — Analyze Phish Episode 2

Great podcast.

I've tagged along to a bunch of Phish shows, and they're fun. I recommend that everyone sees them live. But, I will never listen to them on my iPod no matter how desperate the circumstances.

People keep saying that Harris should push the jams on Scott. No, no, no. Push the live show! Buy him some tickets. Seeing them live is fun because the fans are hilarious looking/acting, everyone is friendly, the music is upbeat, there are long jams where you can hang out with your friends. Plus you're eating carnival food and stoned. Expecting Scott to be converted to Phish after listening to Trey noodle for an hour is insane. Even fans wouldn't listen to that. Trey isn't Stevie Ray Vaughn, but his solos fit the scene and the vibe perfectly. Even Phish fans only listen to the records because it reminds them of the live show. It's almost never the other way around.

Harris, I was converted to Phish (live) seeing them at Great Woods in 1999. They started with Foreplay/Long Time by Boston. Then they segued seamlessly into Down With Disease. If you can find a decent recording of that, I think that would be a good sales pitch. Thinking about that show makes me gaze out the window with a wistful smile, and I can't say about many bands.
http://phish.net/setlists/?d=1999-07-12

I love this podcast A) because it's hilarious and B) because it kinda hits close to home. There was a time in high school when I tried to like Phish. "Hey, people are way into this band! I like being way into things!" I bought ALO and Billy Breathes and only ever really liked "Bouncing Around the Room" and gave up. Scott's basically my perfect surrogate in this experience, especially since my favorite band is also the Smiths. This show was made for me! Keep trying, Harris, I'll try to keep an open mind too.

Phish's Golgi Apperatus song has the most ridiculous lyrics, by far.

"They call him Lysasome
Cause he runs so fast
Runs like a junkyard dog
With a brain of brass"

It was bad enough when they were just taking money from the gullible little tykes who thought they were musicians, but then they went and made those kids flunk biology, too. That's adding insult to injury. It's like, Lysasomes can't run, Phish. They don't even have any goddamn legs! Not only can't they run, but their name has nothing to do with running--nor does it contain any reference to running. Are you trying to posit that Christian de Duve, the discoverer of Lysasomes, saw these little blobs on a slide and said to himself "Wow, look at these things not run, I've gotta come up with a name that characterizes them as fast runners for some reason...I GOT IT, 'Lysasomes!' I truly am a genius!"

No, Phish. Just...no.

Love the concept of this podcast.

Regarding Phish--I think they are musicians who have good technical ability, but when it comes to creating original material, there is not much inspiration. This results in songs that are kind of neutered, cartoon versions of various genres that exist solely to form a framework for them to improvise over.

They clearly want every instrument (including the vocals) to sound perfect and crisp to showcase the technical fortitude, while any sort of soul or urgency or authenticity is completely absent.

I understand how people can like it.

I lived in Coloroda during my 20's and hung around some serious Phish fans but I was never into Phish. I even went to a Phish concert and was not impressed, and yes I was stoned at the time. On the other hand, years later I picked up the album Billy Breathes and I really enjoyed it. I didnt really hear you play anything on the podcast like Free or Character Zero (although ive only listened to 1/2 of the 2nd podcast) which have a nice bold chorus and great guitar. Good luck Harris, you got me to listen to Phish again and Im lovin it.

p.s. I love the debate, it reminds me of conversations that I would have with my friends.

DRUG ADVICE FOR SCOTT: You are a 40-year-old man, and you haven't taken Ecstacy yet? Get on that! HOWEVER, the one time I went to a Phish show was the only time I ever felt like I was wasting drugs. I instinctively wanted to reach for a broom to bang on the ceiling. I'm a big fan of both of you, and the show is great, except, of course, for all the Phish music. It is also nice to know that this show will never end.

A little late to the party, but as a reformed Phish evangelist, I'm quite enjoying this. Harris, you're doing a great job, keep it up.

I'm glad the next show will focus on longer cuts, but remember that a deep heavy jam is probably TOO much. I'd look to the San Francisco show from this past summer for tracks. It's a larger festival show, so it's more accessible to newcomers, and it also rages. A good one-two punch would be Funky Bitch and Moma Dance. The first is a cover, but it's a good jam, and can help Scott get comfortable with how the guys sound together. Plus, the lyrics aren't by Tom, and Trey isn't singing. And, well, Moma is Moma and if you don't like that song then you just hate music. Scott dug on the studio version, let's get him into the jam.

Scott, I really think you need to open up a bit more. Your own comedy is so bizarre and goofy and at times inaccessible, I find it a little surprising you're so quick to dismiss a Phish track citing similar traits. Another criticism you've repeated is that they stay "safe" with the silliness and the "happy" chord, but keep in mind this is the foundation of what's often a very heavy and intricate piece of music. You need it to stay grounded, and to have a good place to land. It's not going to "wow" you in 90 second chunks, or if you don't let yourself be drawn into it.

I get the feeling you're waiting for Phish to prove themselves to you, but I think that arms-crossed approach is counter-productive. Instead, try to open your mind to see what it is they're attempting and judge it on those merits, and see the stuff you dismiss as part of that greater whole. Phish is the best at doing what it is that they do. The lyrics aren't high art, but they're not intended to be. Your own comedy is often strange and full of fun word association. Yelling "freeze her with a tweezer" is just a fun thing to sing along with at a show, and the words themselves get your face to smile, which then opens your body to be receptive. It's silly, but it works.

Anyway, keep up the fun podcasts! I hope it takes you a dozen episodes to fully appreciate them!

Sign in to follow this