🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays - Week 13 - That Thing You Do!

One thing I was curious about is Mr. White's seat on the plane. Maybe an historian on planes and aviation can help me out here but he was suppose to be in first class? He was at the back of the plane though, did first class use to be at the back? Also they were at an odd four seater with a table. Was that ever a thing? Could chairs turn around back in the day? Is that just a first class perk?

I thought it was a private plane for use by Playtone executives and acts. I have no proof of this.

Kind of related - this picture of a "snack cart" on Scandanavian air in 1969:

wMZOKN6.jpg

More photos and article here.

ETA: Cam Bert, the article has a photo of seats facing each other with a table in the middle.

• Like 5

Wow, I wish flying was like that now. I might go home more often if it was.

• Like 5

One thing I was curious about is Mr. White's seat on the plane. Maybe an historian on planes and aviation can help me out here but he was suppose to be in first class? He was at the back of the plane though, did first class use to be at the back? Also they were at an odd four seater with a table. Was that ever a thing?

Southwest used to operate planes like that not all that long ago (~15 years, maybe). Only on short routes, however. They are horrible seats unless you have a party of four. Some trains still have that arrangement.
  • Like 3

Southwest used to operate planes like that not all that long ago (~15 years, maybe). Only on short routes, however. They are horrible seats unless you have a party of four. Some trains still have that arrangement.

Yea, a lot of trains here have a switch in which you can flip the seats to make a four person section or two two people sections. I once had a two hour train ride with a stranger who chose not to reverse his seat and just stared at me the entire way. I was at the end of the row and didn't have the luxury of turning my seats around.

• Like 5

Hey everyone! Sorry I've been MIA this week. I had a family emergency that kept me from being able to watch the movie until yesterday. But now I've seen it and have gotten caught up in the thread, so here are a couple of my thoughts:

Regarding the Guy/Faye romance, I'm not on board. This seems to be the next day that she broke up with Jimmy, right? She breaks up with him after the show because he's being an asshole. Then they go into the studio to record the next day, which is when Jimmy quits. Guy stays and dicks around on the drums, and then Del Paxton comes in and jams with him. Then he goes back to the hotel. So it would be just a day after she's broken up with her dude. That's almost fucking predatory. I'm not a fan.

Steve Zahn is absolutely great. But did he tell Diane Dane that the first time he jerked off was to a picture of her? He should call the Explanation Hope Line...

And then there's Ethan Embry. So, this isn't related to the movie, but I have a story about him. About four years ago, he was at Fantastic Fest for the premiere of the movie Cheap Thrills. I should probably preface this by saying that FF is one of the chillest film festivals there is. It doesn't matter if you directed one of the really small indie films or if you're, say, James Gunn or Keanu Reeves (both of whom have attended several times). The general rule is that everyone treats everyone else the same. That's part of why people like coming to the fest.

He rolled up in his car and parked it right in front of the theater, which was clearly marked as a no parking zone. Apparently, he thought it was valet because there was someone standing there (it was actually where they load and unload the shuttle vans that take people from their hotels to the fest). One of the volunteers told him that he couldn't park there and that it was a loading zone. He lost his shit, cursed them out, and pulled the whole, "Do you know who I am?!" nonsense. So he's basically dead to me, and I was glad that he disappeared about halfway through the movie and I like to think that his character died on that roller coaster.

• Like 4

Hey everyone! Sorry I've been MIA this week. I had a family emergency that kept me from being able to watch the movie until yesterday.

I hope everything is okay and that the emergency has passed. I was actually getting worried that we hadn't heard from you yet. :)

• Like 2

Regarding the Guy/Faye romance, I'm not on board. This seems to be the next day that she broke up with Jimmy, right? She breaks up with him after the show because he's being an asshole. Then they go into the studio to record the next day, which is when Jimmy quits. Guy stays and dicks around on the drums, and then Del Paxton comes in and jams with him. Then he goes back to the hotel. So it would be just a day after she's broken up with her dude. That's almost fucking predatory. I'm not a fan.

And then there's Ethan Embry. So, this isn't related to the movie, but I have a story about him. About four years ago, he was at Fantastic Fest for the premiere of the movie Cheap Thrills. I should probably preface this by saying that FF is one of the chillest film festivals there is. It doesn't matter if you directed one of the really small indie films or if you're, say, James Gunn or Keanu Reeves (both of whom have attended several times). The general rule is that everyone treats everyone else the same. That's part of why people like coming to the fest.

He rolled up in his car and parked it right in front of the theater, which was clearly marked as a no parking zone. Apparently, he thought it was valet because there was someone standing there (it was actually where they load and unload the shuttle vans that take people from their hotels to the fest). One of the volunteers told him that he couldn't park there and that it was a loading zone. He lost his shit, cursed them out, and pulled the whole, "Do you know who I am?!" nonsense. So he's basically dead to me, and I was glad that he disappeared about halfway through the movie and I like to think that his character died on that roller coaster.

I agree about Faye-Guy..it was too soon after the break up and felt rebound-y. The ending is what lost me, otherwise I really liked TTYD.

And that sucks about Embry :mellow: I always found him lovable in tv/movie roles I've seen him in.

My image of him is now tainted knowing he's douchey

200.gif#22-grid1

Steve Zahn is absolutely great. But did he tell Diane Dane that the first time he jerked off was to a picture of her? He should call the Explanation Hope Line...

I think you mean : he should keep it to himself and not call the Explanation Hope Line..

(I am really hoping for some anti-jerking off calls to the EHL next week)

• Like 5

Also, this was me every time someone said Hanks' character's name...

giphy.gif

• Like 5

Also, this was me every time someone said Hanks' character's name...

giphy.gif

Especially since Bryan Cranston was the astronaut on the tv show (The Hollywood Television Showcase).

PS - glad to see you back, Fister!

• Like 4

Oh, and I wanted to ask what everyone thought was "that thing"?

• Like 4

Oh, and I wanted to ask what everyone thought was "that thing"?

Butt stuff

• Like 5

Yesterday on my drive home (it's about 15 mins) I ended up listening to TTYD like three times in a row (I wanted to listen to the album on Spotify and instead got the song on a loop before I got to a stop sign and could change it).

It's a fucking depressing song lyrically as is the second song by the Wonders on the soundtrack, LIttle Wild One. Basically, ifi you look at at the lyrics of specifically those two songs and imagine Jimmy wrote them, it makes sense he was a horrible boyfriend to Faye. He's a misogynist jerk that blames the girl for being a slut and walking out on him.

• Like 6

Yesterday on my drive home (it's about 15 mins) I ended up listening to TTYD like three times in a row (I wanted to listen to the album on Spotify and instead got the song on a loop before I got to a stop sign and could change it).

The 45 times it played in the movie just weren't enough for ya, huh?

• Like 6

Watching the Death of Superman Lives right now on Cam Bert's recommendation, and they're flashing potential cast lists of the Nic Cage Superman up on the screen. Number one candidate for Jimmy Olsen?

Tom Everett Scott.

• Like 4

I know Rita Wilson had a role in this, but anyone notice Colin Hanks had a little cameo?

s_14609_1405024648_299thatthing.jpg

• Like 7

I know Rita Wilson had a role in this, but anyone notice Colin Hanks had a little cameo?

s_14609_1405024648_299thatthing.jpg

• Like 4

It's a fucking depressing song lyrically as is the second song by the Wonders on the soundtrack, LIttle Wild One. Basically, ifi you look at at the lyrics of specifically those two songs and imagine Jimmy wrote them, it makes sense he was a horrible boyfriend to Faye. He's a misogynist jerk that blames the girl for being a slut and walking out on him.

Isn't Little Wild One about him cheating on his girlfriend?

• Like 4

Isn't Little Wild One about him cheating on his girlfriend?

That would be my interpretation.

I know songs don't have to be about "real" things, but I was in a band and I wonder how my girlfriend at the time would have felt if I wrote a song like "Little Wild One."

(For the record, I never cheated on her, but I have been told since that I probably should have)

• Like 3

Tom Hank's daughter had a cameo too, or so I read from online articles. I couldn't pick her out of a lineup.

• Like 6

Tom Hank's daughter had a cameo too, or so I read from online articles. I couldn't pick her out of a lineup.

Me either.

Buzzfeed article points out she was a bored girl in the dress shop.

enhanced-buzz-orig-23563-1363644594-6.jpg?downsize=715:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto

her IMDB also says she was a "school bus girl" in Forrest Gump

• Like 4

Me either.

Buzzfeed article points out she was a bored girl in the dress shop.

enhanced-buzz-orig-23563-1363644594-6.jpg?downsize=715:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto

her IMDB also says she was a "school bus girl" in Forrest Gump

Yeah, she's the one who shakes her head at about 0:10 in this video

• Like 4

Yeah Little Wild One is about him cheating on his girl with a "little wild one" it still doesn't make him look good ;)

I guess I saw Jimmy as the kind of musician that would write about himself but say it wasn't.

Was the weird Hanks kid in this too?

• Like 1

Thanks again, Sara, for the pick!

It was really nice to get a chance to revisit this :)

• Like 2