🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 164 - The Wraith: LIVE!

The subtitles on Netflix say "quiff" but the subtitles on this seemed especially lazy. There were words that should have been capitalized but weren't. I don't remember any misspellings though.

Right. In the moment I took Quiff City to mean P**sy City, or "the place where the hot girls are."

To make it even weirder, Wedding Crashers also fits into the Crank universe too.

Go on...

giphy.gif

• Like 7

Go on...

giphy.gif

This is a bit of a stretch, but I've had a member of one of the most popular girlbands ever giving birth to an alien hybrid, so fuck it.

At the beginning of Wedding Crashers, we have a scene where Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson are acting as mediators for divorce proceedings between a Mr. and Mrs Kroger (played by Dwight Yoakham and Rebecca DeMornay). Well, Dwight Yoakham also plays Doc Miles in the Crank movies.

So, in the Crank movies, we know that:

A. He's divorced, which is shown in Wedding Crashers.

B. He had his medical license revoked when he botched his ex-wife's vaginal rejuvination in his basement, which means he's also a surgeon, who can also be referred to as "Mister", or he became "Mister" when he had his license revoked.

C. He's resorted to pimping, which also leads back into Wedding Crashers, when 'Mister Kroeger' was using air miles to visit his whore Denver (who is a stripper called 'Cinnemon')

So, with that information, 'Doc Miles' in Crank is short for "Dr. Miles Kroeger'

Universe. Shared.

• Like 5

anyone ever see sylvester stallone and david carradine in death race 2000? it's on Youtube. Haven't watched it though. is it worth 66 minutes of my time? it looks nuts

1180qrp.jpg

Death Race 2000 is a pretty good movie. It's still low budget 70s cheese but on the high end of that spectrum. Good enough that I don't think it would really fit this podcast.

I'd be wary of a 66 minute version. The full length version is 80 minutes.

• Like 1

anyone ever see sylvester stallone and david carradine in death race 2000? it's on Youtube. Haven't watched it though. is it worth 66 minutes of my time? it looks nuts

1180qrp.jpg

I've seen it. I enjoyed it. It's a fun film. I don't think it's a really bad bad movie. Just low budget cult b-grade film. I'd recommend it.

• Like 2

This is a bit of a stretch, but I've had a member of one of the most popular girlbands ever giving birth to an alien hybrid, so fuck it.

At the beginning of Wedding Crashers, we have a scene where Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson are acting as mediators for divorce proceedings between a Mr. and Mrs Kroger (played by Dwight Yoakham and Rebecca DeMornay). Well, Dwight Yoakham also plays Doc Miles in the Crank movies.

So, in the Crank movies, we know that:

A. He's divorced, which is shown in Wedding Crashers.

B. He had his medical license revoked when he botched his ex-wife's vaginal rejuvination in his basement, which means he's also a surgeon, who can also be referred to as "Mister", or he became "Mister" when he had his license revoked.

C. He's resorted to pimping, which also leads back into Wedding Crashers, when 'Mister Kroeger' was using air miles to visit his whore Denver (who is a stripper called 'Cinnemon')

So, with that information, 'Doc Miles' in Crank is short for "Dr. Miles Kroeger'

Universe. Shared.

Is Dr. Miles Kroger the black sheep, wild-and-wacky, brother of Dr. Charles Kroger, the psychiatrist that was keeping Monk semi-sane?

• Like 1

Is Dr. Miles Kroger the black sheep, wild-and-wacky, brother of Dr. Charles Kroger, the psychiatrist that was keeping Monk semi-sane?

Unfortunately not, they have different spellings in their surnames. I mispelled in the post, it's K-R-O-E-G-E-R.

However, we could add 'Gamer' to the Crankiverse.

Former UFC fighter, Keith Jardine appears in Crank 2 here:

And here's Keith Jardine as "Mean Slayer" in Gamer:

keith-jardine-in-gamer-2009-large-picture.jpg

Now, the films are set about 25 years apart, but that doesn't matter, Keith Jardine has been bald and looked like Skeletor for most of his life.

• Like 2

really .. i found it on Tubi TV and thats only 66 minutes too. i'll have to track down a dvd so.

I'm basing this on the run time from imdb. It's been a while since I've seen this and I don't remember it being quite that short. Losing 20% of the movie seems like an awful lot to remove for such a short movie.

With all this Spice World talk, I just want to point out that trivia was tonight, and one of the questions was which Spice Girl comes first alphabetically based on their first names.

It's actually the same as if you went by their Spice names

63bbf00e955a5b5c7a6d7b734faacc31--s-hairstyles-woman-hairstyles.jpg

• Like 3

Time for another...

How Did This Get Named?

It's been awhile since something with a completely different name or somewhat of a story behind it. The Wraith is know in Japan as 処刑ライダー (Shokei Raidaa) or Execution Rider. Fun quick aside, Boondock Saints is called 処刑人 (Shokeinin) or Executioners. So why this name and not a direct translation? Do the Japanese not believe in ghosts. Oh, they VERY much believe in ghosts and the supernatural. Rather this is a take on the long running Japanese special effects kid series Kamen Rider or Masked Rider. In another sense he is executing people I suppose too, I guess giving us further evidence for the spirit of vengeance take. I also found this interesting. While the DVD and BluRay of this movie use the more current Wraith in front of the car poster the original movie theater pamphlet is more akin to the current cover.

515NnNOKnwL.jpg

Who is the guy on the left? Obviously, the one in the middle is Nick Cassavetes and the one on the right is Charlie Sheen, but is the guy on the left a highly stylized version of Gutterboy?

The Italian version of The Wraith (or Wraith The) is Il Replicante.

51BgBQgXLqL.jpg

I absolutely loved this movie! Like Jason, I was impressed by Sherilyn Fenn's boobs + I'm familiar with most of the shooting locations in and around Tucson (I'm from Phoenix). I was a little taken aback by Paul and Jason's collective unfamiliarity with the movie; it was a staple on HBO in the late 80s when my parents first got cable. My little brother and I must've watched The Wraith about 100x! Maybe it was a western US thing, and the young, East coast-based Paul and Jason got a different HBO feed than we got out West. I dunno...

Who is the guy on the left? Obviously, the one in the middle is Nick Cassavetes and the one on the right is Charlie Sheen, but is the guy on the left a highly stylized version of Gutterboy?

It's Oggie.

• Like 1

It's Oggie.

By gum, I think you're right. Who knew Oggie had so much hair under that Steven Van Zandt-like bandana?