🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays - Week 14 - Phantom of the Paradise

Swan made a deal with the devil and that gives him the power to make similar deals (with the same contract forms) with other people? Who gets the souls then?

Well, that's your basic Faustian Pyramid Scheme with upper echelon demons reaping the benefits while screwing over the lower level fell creatures (e.g. Kobolds and the like)

Speaking of which, did anyone else notice that Winston's Faust Cantata bore more of a resemblance to Frankenstein (the movie) than Faust? Was Winston's ingnorance of the actual story of Faust the reason that he so readily fell victim to Swan? You'd think that as soon as he was offered a contract with obtuse legalese by a clearly evil individual he'd be a little more suspect. "Hmm...this is just like that thing I've been writing all about. Weird. Anyway, where do I sign? In blood? Of course. I assume that's standard."

• Like 4

The dismemberment of audience-planted mannequins to put together to create FrankenBeef was fuckin' badass.

• Like 10

And now, I present to you - Phoenix!

giphy.gif

And the Phantom...

189918620_1280x960.jpg

No, the videotape was taken 25 years ago but the video ages while he stays the same age. Hence the middle-aged lady saying she dated him at high school, and he still looks the same. But the video has done his aging for him, and if you destroy the video he'll die, exactly like in Wilde's novel.

But then why didn't he look like his face was melting in the video as when he was unmasked at the wedding?

I think that after the contract/video is burned Swans face ages 20 years and thats why it was badly damaged at the end when the Phanthom takes his mask off because he is mortal again... Right?

I loved that Paul williams who played Swan wrote and produced the songs and lyrics for the film... He was a combo of Swan and the Phantom I.R.L.

post-19567-0-97992000-1497895376.jpg

post-19567-0-97992000-1497895376_thumb.jpg

Also Rod Serling ( From the Twilight Zone ) was the narrator from the beginning ( uncredited )

And I think the Eddie Mitty song ( Goodbye, Eddie, Goodbye ) from the Juicy Fruits was about Swan in a way... Because he tried to kill himself to be more famous ( In Swans case that attempt was the thing that gave him fame, money and power ) Also Eddie's mother does not know his fathers last name and so he goes only by Swan... That's my theory

• Like 5

The dismemberment of audience-planted mannequins to put together to create FrankenBeef was fuckin' badass.

I kept expecting a tiny Stonehendge to descend onto the stage.

• Like 4

Never forget that Paul Williams wrote another song we all know and love...

Thanks, Swan!

• Like 6

I know it's verboten to propose a Jacob's Ladder Scenario anymore (and I'm not going to suggest a specific one), but I could not help but think that there is a whole HEAPING MESS of possible Jacob's Ladder Scenarios in Phantom of the Paradise. You have Swan who sells his soul to the devil to stay young forever, so that could have been a last act of a dying man, and this whole "getting people to sell their souls to my record company" pyramid scheme is the result of his own JLS. Heck, his record company is called DEAD RECORDS. Winslow's transformation into the Phantom has several launching points for a JLS, from his signing of his contract, his severe (what seems like almost fatal) beating, to his face-smashing by the record press. I mean, this is a movie with a character called Phoenix, implying a "death/rebirth into a new being" narrative even separate from the Phantom. Maybe Beef is the dream version of Winslow, how he wants to be? More like Jacob's LAYERS Scenario, amirite?

I'm not saying that's what this movie is, I just find it interesting that this movie has so many possible angles for Jacob's Ladders.

• Like 5

I legitimately laughed out loud when Beef fell down and couldn't get back up with those ridiculous platform shoes. He was honestly my favorite part of this movie.

• Like 6

I know it's verboten to propose a Jacob's Ladder Scenario anymore (and I'm not going to suggest a specific one), but I could not help but think that there is a whole HEAPING MESS of possible Jacob's Ladder Scenarios in Phantom of the Paradise. You have Swan who sells his soul to the devil to stay young forever, so that could have been a last act of a dying man, and this whole "getting people to sell their souls to my record company" pyramid scheme is the result of his own JLS. Heck, his record company is called DEAD RECORDS. Winslow's transformation into the Phantom has several launching points for a JLS, from his signing of his contract, his severe (what seems like almost fatal) beating, to his face-smashing by the record press. I mean, this is a movie with a character called Phoenix, implying a "death/rebirth into a new being" narrative even separate from the Phantom. Maybe Beef is the dream version of Winslow, how he wants to be? More like Jacob's LAYERS Scenario, amirite?

I'm not saying that's what this movie is, I just find it interesting that this movie has so many possible angles for Jacob's Ladders.

No, we just don't like LAZY JLS scenarios. Yours is well thought out and insightful. I'll allow it ;)

I also liked (I thought it as the record label, but I could be wrong) was called "Swan Song."

• Like 4

I also liked (I thought it as the record label, but I could be wrong) was called "Swan Song."

It was originally, but Led Zeppelin's manager owned the name and got all litigious when he discovered the connection.

It's an interesting story...

The "Swan Song Fiasco" (or, "Why are all those dead birds floating around?")

The name of Swan's conglomerate was originally "Swan Song Enterprises". Throughout Phantom of the Paradise, references to that company name are visible here and there.

But the most prominent references to "Swan Song" had to be obliterated in post-production because, shortly before the film's release, Led Zeppelin's manager, Peter Grant, created a real-life record company called "Swan Song Records". (Grant's company beat Phantom to the name by only a few months: Swan Song Records' first release, Bad Company's first album, came out in June of 1974, while Phantom premiered only a few months later, in October of that year.) Grant had previously managed a band called Stone the Crows, whose lead singer, Leslie Harvey, had been electrocuted onstage during a sound check in 1972, and Grant was apparently upset by the prospect of a film not only using the "Swan Song" name, but also, adding insult to injury, featuring an onstage electrocution of a rock star. The fucking crybaby.

Grant childishly threatened to block release of the film, and De Palma and editor Paul Hirsch were forced to quickly make changes to remove from sight the most prominent references to "Swan Song Enterprises." As can be seen from this purchase order, dated October 1, 1974, the changes were still in progress only weeks before the film's release. And, based on this cost summary, implementation of the changes required about $22,000 in direct out of pocket expenses, which were absorbed by Fox.

In some cases, references to "Swan Song" were covered up by hand, frame-by-frame, typically by "Death Records," the dead songbird logo, or plain black masking. In other cases, the film was recut, with the "offending" footage actually removed. While the best job under the circumstances was done, these last minute mutilations are pretty glaring.

More here: https://www.swanarch...tion_fiasco.asp

• Like 9

Swan's move in bed is to lie still like a corpse? And that drives Phoenix wild? Enough to marry him?

I noticed this too as well as the fact that the Phantom kept watching for way too long from the glass ceiling.

• Like 4

The Death logo on the podium in front of the personal jet was especially glaring.

• Like 2

Cam Bert, I can't wait to find out who your mom finds Ted Neeley Handsome in this one...

• Like 5

Also in regards to Phoenix - she went from 'singer with principles' to 'drug addicted superstar' real quick. The second she got a microphone she was willing to do anything?

This bugged me SO much!! Considering her first scene ends in her running away in complete protest to someone forcing themselves upon her. She came across as the wholesome girl who just wants to sing. But then she changes to "I'll do ANYTHING as long as I get to sing", so her standards are pretty low anyway. I wasn't of how fast she let go.

Also I kinda felt like this film is more like what The Apple WANTED to be lol

Also also I actually took Swan's grotesque face reveal to be more like melting from the fire. Did he put the mask on prior to the fire without realizing what would happen, or was he trying to cover up the damage? Because it seemed pretty obvious that once the film was destroyed that he was done for. I still don't understand the purpose of the marriage/assassination.

• Like 6

This bugged me SO much!! Considering her first scene ends in her running away in complete protest to someone forcing themselves upon her. She came across as the wholesome girl who just wants to sing. But then she changes to "I'll do ANYTHING as long as I get to sing", so her standards are pretty low anyway. I wasn't of how fast she let go.

This bothered me as well, but maybe it's what the film is trying to do? Perhaps just being in Swan's presence, under the sway of the glitz and glamor and possibility of immortal stardom, has a degrading effect on one's morality and self control? He oozes corruption and immorality wrapped in 1970s glam, all packaged in convenient Paul Williams Fun Size!

• Like 5

I still don't understand the purpose of the marriage/assassination.

Perhaps the wedding/assassination was planned to create more buzz around his Faust show and The Paradise? Any publicity is good publicity.

• Like 4

Perhaps the wedding/assassination was planned to create more buzz around his Faust show and The Paradise? Any publicity is good publicity.

I think he says this at one point. I think his sidekick brings it up...

I also agree with Jammer's The Apple comparison; however, The Apple might have actually done a little better at explaining Bibi's fall from grace o_0

• Like 3

Isn't Phoenix clearly intoxicated when Swan signs her? Considering that there's a video of the incident, I feel like she could build a very strong case for having her contract annulled.

• Like 4

Speaking of contracts, I found it odd that the beginning of the movie starts out with Swan and Philbin talking about a female artist who fired them even though they had a "contract." They said that the judge in the case told them that nobody could have a lifetime contract? But, that can't be true, can it? Also, if the Swan lifetime contract can be canceled, why continue signing artists with it?

• Like 7

Speaking of contracts, I found it odd that the beginning of the movie starts out with Swan and Philbin talking about a female artist who fired them even though they had a "contract." They said that the judge in the case told them that nobody could have a lifetime contract? But, that can't be true, can it? Also, if the Swan lifetime contract can be canceled, why continue signing artists with it?

Oh, my God - this movie might be dumb...:)

• Like 7

Favorite songs?

(Is it weird that my favorite is the one that plays over the end credits?)

Here he is performing it on The Brady Bunch variety hour...

• Like 5

The end credits song is my favorite too.

Second is the Juicyfruits song.

• Like 6

The end credits song is my favorite too.

Second is the Juicyfruits song.

Second this!

• Like 3

Favorite songs?

(Is it weird that my favorite is the one that plays over the end credits?)

Here he is performing it on The Brady Bunch variety hour...

This is my favorite as well but, oh man, I'm just imagining the target audience for The Brady Bunch variety hour seeing Phantom of the Paradise in theaters....

Anyway, Sha Na Na was clearly the model for The Juicy Fruits, at last as they appeared in the opening sequence. According to the Always Reliable Internet, Sha Na Na was approached to appear but refused. Later in the movie, there also appears a rock band in black and white makeup, clearly modeled on Kiss (with a bit of Alice Cooper as well, especially in their stage show and actual sound). Is it possible that this was a chance at publicity that Kiss actually turned down?!?! Maybe THIS movie inspired them to create their own "Phantom" film a few years later....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sHMAY-AqhM

• Like 4

And here's Paul Williams on The Muppet Show looking like my Nana in the Eighties...

• Like 4