🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 165 - Ninja Terminator: LIVE!

Is it me or has the paywall disappeared?

Migration to Stitcher has occurred.

I actually liked the Howl interface (compared to Stitcher). Now it's much harder to scroll for archived episodes of my favorite podcasts.

• Like 3

also, is it:

Jaguar Wong or Jaguar One?

Seeing as he was clearly working for Interpol I thought it was Jaguar One as a sort of code name. It seemed like even during the podcast I heard different interpretations from the p-casters though so now I am even more confused.

• Like 1

I heard excerpts from different sections of "Echoes" at least twice. Came here to post the same thing.

I attended this live show in San Francisco at Clusterfest and it was very fun. Took no pictures because I assumed some staffer was doing that. Highly recommend seeing HDTGM live if you ever have the chance. Beautiful, with all the screens & hosts & guests & audience in person.

I doubt he asked permission to use Pink Floyd's "Echoes" as well.

https://youtu.be/53N99Nim6WE

• Like 1

Since I watched only about 20 minutes of this turd waterfall, I'm just gonna create names for awesome sounding Ninja movies.

The Shaw-ninja Redemption

Pulp Ninja

Ninja's Day Out

Terminator 2: Judgement Day: With Ninjas

North By Northninja

Ninja as Ice

Also I am really upset that every print of the 100% Soft version of Howard the Duck is sold out at Gallery 1988, I fucking love their art and own a few pieces already and this one is amazing.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Ninjas

• Like 1

I doubt he asked permission to use Pink Floyd's "Echoes" as well

---

From the Godfrey Ho Wiki page:

I was hoping to flex my music nerd knowledge but yeah -- the cool electronic score in Ninja Terminator is mostly from Tangerine Dream (I think the Le Parc LP), except for the Pink Floyd stuff during the fight near the end. Godfrey Ho uses a lot of "krautrock" in his films. I gotta say, the guy has pretty good taste.

• Like 3

I was hoping to flex my music nerd knowledge but yeah -- the cool electronic score in Ninja Terminator is mostly from Tangerine Dream (I think the Le Parc LP), except for the Pink Floyd stuff during the fight near the end. Godfrey Ho uses a lot of "krautrock" in his films. I gotta say, the guy has pretty good taste.

I've never given Tangerine Dream a listen but I'm adding them to my check out list, as well as the repurposed Korean movie. I'm also interested in which GH movies used music from the Iczer-One OVAs and Miami Vice. This stupid movie just opened up a lot of interesting doors for me!

• Like 1

Looking for logic in this movie is like looking dry patch at the bottom of the ocean but two things about the tape of Michiko being tortured Harry receives.

First, the tape is delivered by a little robot. Where have we see little robots before? When he was being warned by the Ninja Empire to return the golden idol. So later when he sees a similar little robot coming into his house with a video tape his first reaction is not "Another warning from the Ninja Empire!" but rather "Hmm, wonder what's on this and who could it be from." Also in a prior scene we see him lie to his wife about the warning yet he's okay with her sitting down and watching this tape with him?

Second, the tape continues many edits and close ups. Now the reason behind this is because just the footage from the Korean movie that this borrowed footage from. However, I like to believe that Tiger was really into cinema and movie making. During Michiko's beating and torture he would stop his hired goons to reset the camera and get close ups and multiple angles. Then when he felt the blows were looking weak and not scary enough he went back for some pick ups of just the goons striking something to really sell the beating. Also pro tip, when sending a threatening video tape of you committing a crime maybe think twice about close ups of the people involved.

• Like 7

the dubbing in this movie was awful but the foley team needs a shout out. this is how i imagine the studio looked when they were trying to cover all the footsteps in this mess

mruGbZ.gif

father furlong! Father Ted and Spaced gifs in one thread I'm so happy

• Like 3

Godfrey Ho seems like the B-movie equivalent of William Burroughs. Its all one movie and you can watch the scenes in any order. I fucking love it.

The flower orgasm was actually good filmmaking and better than the equivalent in previous movies.

Ex2QNrD.gif

Z3lUmO5.gif

yrASv1Y.gif

DuSg50c.gif

Hi all, I just wanted to point out that in the fight scene in the parking lot, Jaguar Wong throws a guy through the windshield of his (jaguar's) car, instead of maybe aiming for that guys car parked next to him. I know we've discussed compulsory insurance and windshield replacement before, and I don't know how that works internationally, but he does seem to have the windshield fixed while he goes out to the restaurant, then the car is ready to drive for the next scene. Ha!

• Like 1

Were the guys Jaguar fights before going to the restaurant part of any of the illicit organizations in the movie, or where they just dudes that like to play catch and hate giving directions more than anything in the world?

Godfrey Ho seems like the B-movie equivalent of William Burroughs. Its all one movie and you can watch the scenes in any order. I fucking love it.

The flower orgasm was actually good filmmaking and better than the equivalent in previous movies.

Again, that's because it was literally someone else's movie.

• Like 2

Since I watched only about 20 minutes of this turd waterfall, I'm just gonna create names for awesome sounding Ninja movies.

The Shaw-ninja Redemption

Pulp Ninja

Ninja's Day Out

Terminator 2: Judgement Day: With Ninjas

North By Northninja

Ninja as Ice

Also I am really upset that every print of the 100% Soft version of Howard the Duck is sold out at Gallery 1988, I fucking love their art and own a few pieces already and this one is amazing.

My alternative title for Ninja Terminator is "Cuninjalingus"

• Like 2

Hi all, I just wanted to point out that in the fight scene in the parking lot, Jaguar Wong throws a guy through the windshield of his (jaguar's) car, instead of maybe aiming for that guys car parked next to him. I know we've discussed compulsory insurance and windshield replacement before, and I don't know how that works internationally, but he does seem to have the windshield fixed while he goes out to the restaurant, then the car is ready to drive for the next scene. Ha!

hahaha i had windscreen cover in my notes .. i was hoping the guy from the covenant episode would come back and school us all again

• Like 1

Unrelated to this episode, but Paul Scheer is on one of my new fave podcasts "Love It or Leave It" this week. It's a political show. He's clutch in a brainstorm.

• Like 5

Another fantastic hdtgm episode. I did not watch this movie, but I did find one of the best YouTube videos ever uploaded...thanks guys..only the best...jaguar Wong

• Like 2

Sorry if this has been discussed, but did anyone else notice that around 15 minutes in, Pink Floyd's "Echoes" is played (very briefly)? I mean, um, yeah it was just in there...Right before "Around here there ain't no restaurants, buddy!" I was befuddled.

It's played again during a sex scene.

• Like 1

The continuity errors in this movie are so frequent, it would be interesting to count the number of scene transitions where they don't exist.

I think Michiko is the most interesting character because how often is the most sympathetic figure in a movie such a minor character? First her ninja brother gets killed. He had it coming but it is still tragic for her. Then because Eyeliner Ninja is too dumb to have the Ninja Empire as the prime suspect of the revenge killing she loses another brother and she gets tortured over something she knows absolutely nothing about. In any run of the mill screenplay she'd be the emotional focus of the film. Maybe in 200 years time film historians will say the limits of cut and paste were like the malfunctioning shark in Jaws.

I know there is only so much you can talk about in an hour show but why didn't anyone discuss the kidnapping scene?

Also, for a movie that seemed to have no time to show or how characters got from place to place let alone what they were doing there, Godfrey Ho seemed to take up a lot a screen time showing us how to turn on and load a tape cassette into a VCR.