🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 165.5 - Minisode 165.5

I think a big issue I have with it is that it's like being aurally flashed. These dudes don't start out with "let me tell you my batin' story" - thereby giving the listener some opportunity to skip ahead or whatever. Instead, you listen to these guys clumsily "um" and "ah" their way through a story, and as you're struggling to figure out what they're talking about, you're suddenly confronted with some stranger's dick. Like, I'm here to listen to people talk about crappy movies and shit, not to enable some creeper's exhibitionism, you know what I mean?

I definitely think it's just a weird exhibitionist thing but part of me wonders if it's people thinking "Jason Mantzoukas pretends to be a creepy dude and say sexual things. I can do it too because all my friends think I'm hilarious."

The difference is 1. Jason is actually funny and 2. I don't know you so your creepy wank stories are just creepy. I'm sure the first time Jason Mantzoukas meets someone, he doesn't lead with the first time he masturbated.

Edit: not to say I've got a problem with Jason saying crazy things or want him to change. Just I want people to realize he's able to get away with it; you probably aren't

• Like 7

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of people lurking on the forums seeing the reaction to the jerk off calls, calling in in the hopes that Paul plays it, and then coming here to see the results.

• Like 8

I definitely think it's just a weird exhibitionist thing but part of me wonders if it's people thinking "Jason Mantzoukas pretends to be a creepy dude and say sexual things. I can do it too because all my friends think I'm hilarious."

The difference is 1. Jason is actually funny and 2. I don't know you so your creepy wank stories are just creepy. I'm sure the first time Jason Mantzoukas meets someone, he doesn't lead with the first time he masturbated.

Edit: not to say I've got a problem with Jason saying crazy things or want him to change. Just I want people to realize he's able to get away with it; you probably aren't

This is exactly right. It's mistaking the persona for the person. I think Jason is incredibly funny, but if I were ever to met him and the the first thing he said to me was that he jerked off watching Ladyhawke when he was a kid, I would think there was something seriously wrong with him.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of people lurking on the forums seeing the reaction to the jerk off calls, calling in in the hopes that Paul plays it, and then coming here to see the results.

Perhaps, but just because someone calls in, doesn't mean it has to be aired. It's not like Paul reads seven or eight pages of forum C&O's. Are there really not that many quality calls to choose from? And, again, I got it the first time, but if these are the best, then I would hate to hear what gets left on the cutting room floor.

• Like 6

Fucking Double Post....

Here are a couple of gifs from Phantom of the Paradise by way of apology...

giphy.gif

tumblr_n65iri3YhK1rpc5kho1_500.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 7

Spoiler alert for the Timecop episode (since I WAS THERE <3)

A dude does get up and talk about how he masturbated to Mia Sara and it's pretty obvious how uncomfortable it made EVERYONE and Paul said that he was officially done with hearing those stories.

So what's the truth, Paul???

• Like 8

A dude does get up and talk about how he masturbated to Mia Sara...

tumblr_nz3vxgc6t31tat40ko7_250.gif

• Like 5

Hi, Paul! I have a correction to a correction.

In this minisode, the caller who's talking about ninja is incorrect. Actual ninja (which was not really a class of person but rather a way of doing espionage) did not wear black clothes at night - that is a common misconception caused by years of ninja shows and popular fiction in Japan (which then came to the West.)

I happily had the opportunity to study Japanese History for one year with Dr. Karl Friday, one of the best samurai historians who writes in English, who always cleared up this fiction:

http://h-net.msu.edu...lk1pw&user=&pw=

Also

http://www.cracked.c...ncorrectly.html

http://www.chinatown...ption-ninja.htm

http://www.illuminat...hives/ninja.php

http://www.artofmanl...w-ninjas-wrong/

tl;dr version from Cracked.com :

The ninja outfit is ridiculous, if you think about it. If you're an assassin and your job is to blend in, you don't do that by dressing in a black bodysuit that screams "ninja" from a mile away. So, they dressed like normal people--workers, monks, merchants, basically anything that looked as un-ninja as humanly possible was the perfect disguise. This way, they could sneak around unnoticed, day or night. On rare occasions when they needed to move through the dark undetected, they still didn't wear black. Dark blue is the color you want if you want to blend in at night; someone in all black would stand out like a silhouette.

More commentary from me -

The idea that ninja wear black outfits probably comes from Japanese puppet theater (bunraku) in which the stagehands (kuroko) wears all black because the audience is supposed to pretend that they don't exist. Hundreds of years ago, kabuki (plays with dancing) and then art prints started have the 'ninja' characters wear all black, borrowing the convention from puppet theater, and thus the misconception was born.

Also, samurai were not loyal at all and constantly betrayed their 'masters' for money, but that is another story...

Hi, Paul! I have a correction to a correction.

In this minisode, the caller who's talking about ninja is incorrect. Actual ninja (which was not really a class of person but rather a way of doing espionage) did not wear black clothes at night - that is a common misconception caused by years of ninja shows and popular fiction in Japan (which then came to the West.)

I happily had the opportunity to study Japanese History for one year with Dr. Karl Friday, one of the best samurai historians who writes in English, who always cleared up this fiction:

The ninja outfit is ridiculous, if you think about it. If you're an assassin and your job is to blend in, you don't do that by dressing in a black bodysuit that screams "ninja" from a mile away. So, they dressed like normal people--workers, monks, merchants, basically anything that looked as un-ninja as humanly possible was the perfect disguise. This way, they could sneak around unnoticed, day or night. On rare occasions when they needed to move through the dark undetected, they still didn't wear black. Dark blue is the color you want if you want to blend in at night; someone in all black would stand out like a silhouette.

More commentary from me -

The idea that ninja wear black outfits probably comes from Japanese puppet theater (bunraku) in which the stagehands (kuroko) wears all black because the audience is supposed to pretend that they don't exist. Hundreds of years ago, kabuki (plays with dancing) and then art prints started have the 'ninja' characters wear all black, borrowing the convention from puppet theater, and thus the misconception was born.

Also, samurai were not loyal at all and constantly betrayed their 'masters' for money, but that is another story...

tumblr_m1gyb53ZFU1r0gt0xo1_500.gif

• Like 2

Hi Everyone

I've heard your concerns about gross dudes doing the call in segment. Many apologies and I totally get it. So just so you know, I don't screen the calls. I get sent a handful of the "best ones" and then whittle them down normally eliminating one or two. ( I'll tell Dana to cut those types of calls out in the future.) I have no genuine interest in those stories more than, I can't believe that someone would talk about that stuff. So it makes me laugh how creepy people are and it also gives me something to talk about after that call becaus it illicits a genuine reaction in me. But reading the comments I now see how this could be viewed as totally gross. Just know there was never going to be a "erections and omissions" section on the show. I was just joking. I didn't even remember saying that. I don't want to hear that at all. (Also I don't know if it's in contention but I feel like I read the condom ads in the most unsexual way - I would hope that's not making people think it's ok to call about sex)

Thanks as always for letting me know your issues.

And more importantly. I'd love some people from these forums to call in.

Thirdly seems likes Smigg's win was a false victory after that post from the Japanese historian.

Paul

Also I wrote this on my phone. I apologize for bad grammar and punctuation

• Like 13

A dude does get up and talk about how he masturbated to Mia Sara and ...

tumblr_inline_n1ojj6zKaC1qknuzb.gif

(even after all this time i think i still quote friends at least once a day)

• Like 3

But reading the comments I now see how this could be viewed as totally gross. Just know there was never going to be a "erections and omissions" section on the show.

i'm gonna guess someone's very disappointed by this announcement cause you know they've already created an awesome theme song for it .. i'm just afraid to do search for it ..

• Like 3

Thirdly seems likes Smigg's win was a false victory after that post from the Japanese historian

Too late, I'm keeping it! I've told my family!

• Like 5

Hi Everyone

I've heard your concerns about gross dudes doing the call in segment. Many apologies and I totally get it. So just so you know, I don't screen the calls. I get sent a handful of the "best ones" and then whittle them down normally eliminating one or two. ( I'll tell Dana to cut those types of calls out in the future.) I have no genuine interest in those stories more than, I can't believe that someone would talk about that stuff. So it makes me laugh how creepy people are and it also gives me something to talk about after that call becaus it illicits a genuine reaction in me. But reading the comments I now see how this could be viewed as totally gross. Just know there was never going to be a "erections and omissions" section on the show. I was just joking. I didn't even remember saying that. I don't want to hear that at all. (Also I don't know if it's in contention but I feel like I read the condom ads in the most unsexual way - I would hope that's not making people think it's ok to call about sex)

Thanks as always for letting me know your issues.

Thirdly seems likes Smigg's win was a false victory after that post from the Japanese historian.

Paul

Also I wrote this on my phone. I apologize for bad grammar and punctuation

As always, thanks for listening and taking the time to respond, Paul! We really do appreciate everything you guys do and all the hard work that goes into the show. I also just want you to know, I don't think anyone really thought that you were "into" these calls beyond the "what the fuckery" of them.

As for your condom ads, you're fine as far as I'm concerned. If anyone is inspired to call into podcast and talk about their masturbation experiences because of a commercial, then the deficiency is clearly on their side. Trust your instincts, man! I don't want you (or June or Jason for that matter) to ever feel the need to self-censor. Over the years, you all have earned our trust. It's why I can laugh at Jason telling us he "jerked off" to something and not be grossed out by it.

As for calling in, I would but I'm terrible at remembering phone numbers.

Anyway, have wonderful night and tomorrow!

Cam

• Like 4

I would but I sound like a more nasally version of Jeff Goldblum.

• Like 1

I know Cam would disapprove but a Goldblum masturbation story would be entertaining. "Oh yes, 'ooh, aah' that's how it starts. But after that it's running - and screaming..."

• Like 4

I know Cam would disapprove but a Goldblum masturbation story would be entertaining. "Oh yes, 'ooh, aah' that's how it starts. But after that it's running - and screaming..."

I'd be receptive to that ;)

• Like 5

I agree with everything Cameron and Paul said. I have no problem with the condom ads either. It is Paul's literal job to read them and I want everyone at earwolf to get paid. If Paul started describing his actual sexual experiences in the ads, then is start feeling weird about it.

I don't want the hosts to change what they are doing in the show either. If I found out Jason (or June or whomever) actually jerked off to the woman's from Lifeforce, I'd suggest self censoring but I think we all realize they wouldn't do that.

I have, as they say, a face for radio and a voice for print.

• Like 5

619-PaulASK - Save it in your phones. Call it anytime.

Right! 619-PaulASS. Got it ;)

• Like 7

Awesome to log on this morning and see that our concerns have been heard. Thanks so much, Paul, for taking time out to address this thing. It's things like this that is why your show has such longevity and elicits such loyalty.

Now, forum, mobilize! Let's get at least one forum poster on the mini next week (and of course usernames in the message!)!

• Like 5

Now, forum, mobilize! Let's get at least one forum poster on the mini next week (and of course usernames in the message!)!

Well, I'd nominate you and let your dulcet Canadian-Australian accent wash over all of us :)

I'll try and think of something, as well, but I never have anything too interesting to say.

• Like 4

just like to give dan engler a nod for tipping paul off about masturbationgate (that's right. i went there) on twitter. much appreciated

Thanks, Dan!

anigif_enhanced-13884-1495133347-2.gif?downsize=715:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this