🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 166 - Timecop: LIVE!

I think they were bowls of chips!

bxpZdCM.png?1

giphy.gif

• Like 5

You know what's fucked up? The first thing Mia Sera asks Max is "What am I like ten years from now?" and not "How's our son, Etienne?"

• Like 5

Seriously, IT'S AS IF THE LOGIC OF TIMECOP IS FLAWED.

No no, come on, we can figure this out. Let's put our thinking caps on.

I kind of disagree. There still has to be one timeline where nothing happens to Mia or House, because nothing was supposed to happen to her or it. It was Silva who put that event in motion because JCVD was becoming a threat in 2004.

OK, so you're positing a time map section like the one below... that could work.

auWScnC.png

But don't you think it's maybe a little more fitting if Timeline 1b is a loop? That is, goons kill Mia Sara -> JCVD becomes grizzled TEC agent -> Silva gets greedy and JVCD gets suspicious -> Silva sends goons to kill JCVD -> goons kill Mia Sara -> JCVD becomes grizzled TEC agent... etc etc. That way, Silva's time meddling is kind of coming back to bite him in the ass, by getting Timeline 1b stuck in a loop. It's only JCVD who has the buns and splits necessary to go back and avert the loop, forcing the creation of Timeline 1a. I think that's more heroic and probably more in tune with the director's original vision.

But there's still sooo many questions that are unanswered, especially in your chart as to why Fielding never joined TEC. I was thinking maybe it was that Silva had hired her from the start to infiltrate TEC as a double agent for his money schemes, and then after young Silva killed off the chip company partner, he didn't need to hire these double agents.

YES YES YES I LOVE IT

However, Fielding is still part of TEC in the Silva-less branch, so that theory is incorrect. You could posit the idea that because JCVD gets evidence from injured Fielding in 1994, maybe Silva decided she too was a threat and went after her prior to her applying to TEC, but that doesn't really work either because then there'd be no reason to kill 2004 Fielding in 1994, and JCVD already has her blood evidence anyway (not that he needs it). Ugh... I don't even know what I'm trying to figure out anymore.

OK I didn't follow that, but I think you had it the first time: Fielding tells JCVD, after all, that her father thought Timecopping was the most important career of the future. So that obviously had a huge influence on her, Silva or no Silva. In all timelines, she is a hard-working ambitious law enforcement agent with her eyes on the TEC. In Timeline 1b, Silva uses his sway with the agency to get Fielding a position on the condition that she works with him as a double agent. In Timeline 1a, there is no Silva, so someone with better moral character is running the agency and identifies Fielding as a dedicated, hard-working agent who deserves the job anyway. In Timeline 2, Silva is still running the agency but is rich from the cryo-chip, so when Fielding comes to apply he has no need for double agents nor hard-working diligent Timecops, so he puts the kibosh on her application and she doesn't get the job.

Also I still don't think it would be a rebuild of the same house. I mean, I guess maybe she could've kept/found the original blue print somewhere, but they really should've given it a fresh coat of paint if they were going for that conclusion.

Well, you know, Mia Sara is a dedicated historian of architecture, so when she commissioned the rebuild she really went for the whole effect, peeling paint and all.

I think I can also explain the scar finally. It's mentioned earlier in this thread that Future Silva is shown complaining about the thing on his face before the injury to Past Silva actually takes place. That post chalks this up to bad editing. But I think we are obviously meant to glean from this that 2004 Timeline 1b Silva is putting on some kind of prosthetic scar, since he's been here before and knows that JCVD is going to injure 1994 TImeine 2 Silva, and he wants to fuck with JCVD's head a little. When the scar seemingly appears, that is Silva doing some sleight of hand to remove a piece of makeup hiding the prosthetic.

• Like 3

the cars were proper shite though ....

timecop1.jpg

but reading this there might be a story or two behind them. http://www.rodquin.com/portfolio/TimeCop/TimeCop.html

rod quinn is the one who brought this yoke to the screen .. but look at the other movies he's worked on .. the man could be a HDTGM legend http://www.rodquin.com/portfolio/portfolio.html

he's done some work on:

snow dogs

sixth day

timecop

mission to mars

lake placid

fantastic four ...

• Like 2

I think they were bowls of chips!

bxpZdCM.png?1

If there were bowls of chips maybe Ruffles was doing a special promotional event for the launch of a new flavor or something. That would explain why it was in a mall and they were just out in the open. Maybe they were trying to launch All Dressed into the states when this happened and threw off the whole campaign and now America will never know the delight that is Ruffles All Dressed chips.

• Like 7

But don't you think it's maybe a little more fitting if Timeline 1b is a loop? That is, goons kill Mia Sara -> JCVD becomes grizzled TEC agent -> Silva gets greedy and JVCD gets suspicious -> Silva sends goons to kill JCVD -> goons kill Mia Sara -> JCVD becomes grizzled TEC agent... etc etc. That way, Silva's time meddling is kind of coming back to bite him in the ass, by getting Timeline 1b stuck in a loop. It's only JCVD who has the buns and splits necessary to go back and avert the loop, forcing the creation of Timeline 1a. I think that's more heroic and probably more in tune with the director's original vision.

OK I didn't follow that, but I think you had it the first time: Fielding tells JCVD, after all, that her father thought Timecopping was the most important career of the future. So that obviously had a huge influence on her, Silva or no Silva. In all timelines, she is a hard-working ambitious law enforcement agent with her eyes on the TEC. In Timeline 1b, Silva uses his sway with the agency to get Fielding a position on the condition that she works with him as a double agent. In Timeline 1a, there is no Silva, so someone with better moral character is running the agency and identifies Fielding as a dedicated, hard-working agent who deserves the job anyway. In Timeline 2, Silva is still running the agency but is rich from the cryo-chip, so when Fielding comes to apply he has no need for double agents nor hard-working diligent Timecops, so he puts the kibosh on her application and she doesn't get the job.

Well, you know, Mia Sara is a dedicated historian of architecture, so when she commissioned the rebuild she really went for the whole effect, peeling paint and all.

I think I can also explain the scar finally. It's mentioned earlier in this thread that Future Silva is shown complaining about the thing on his face before the injury to Past Silva actually takes place. That post chalks this up to bad editing. But I think we are obviously meant to glean from this that 2004 Timeline 1b Silva is putting on some kind of prosthetic scar, since he's been here before and knows that JCVD is going to injure 1994 TImeine 2 Silva, and he wants to fuck with JCVD's head a little. When the scar seemingly appears, that is Silva doing some sleight of hand to remove a piece of makeup hiding the prosthetic.

You have put way more thought into this than I think I could ever hope to. I am quite impressed.

10dgsqt.jpg

• Like 5

If there were bowls of chips maybe Ruffles was doing a special promotional event for the launch of a new flavor or something. That would explain why it was in a mall and they were just out in the open. Maybe they were trying to launch All Dressed into the states when this happened and threw off the whole campaign and now America will never know the delight that is Ruffles All Dressed chips.

Now I'm more pissed than ever...

• Like 7

Oh but we did! Ruffles had a limited run of All Dressed chips for a few months and the response was so positive they are here for good.

• Like 3

Oh but we did! Ruffles had a limited run of All Dressed chips for a few months and the response was so positive they are here for good.

Thank God JCVD went back in time to fix that!

• Like 4

And now I present to you, the most awkward way to hold a horizontal layout photograph

x2t4ys.jpg

• Like 10

They mentioned in the episode how JCVD doesn't ever seem to have a plan going into the Third Act, but what about the goons? When JCVD gets the drop on the guy at the door (the one who had laid him out in the beginning) the henchmen growls, "Who the fuck are you?" Um...how about "the guy you've been hired to kill," dipshit? Like I get that it's old JCVD and not young, but they look, and more importantly, sound exactly alike.

He then describes him to his fellow goonlets as just some unexpected "TEC cop." So, he doesn't recognize the man he's been as hired to kill and seems surprised that a TEC Agent, a "Time Cop" as it were, has shown up to thwart their time related assassination attempt. Right. Gotcha.

I mean, did actor/activist Ron Silva completely neglect to debrief his guys before sending them out? Like a couple of before and after Polaroids ought to have done it. In fact, if you need someone to take them, I know just the guy...

• Like 4

What do you think Rae Dawn Chong's plan was the night the goons tried to kill JVCD in his 2004 apartment?

I mean she shows up after them so she's not with them, but she is "with them" in the sense she's working for Silva. Do you think she was a lookout for them? Was she the backup plan in case three hired goons failed to kill a sleeping man? Or was she working on her own plan in case the killing didn't go accordingly and she just happened to show up at the end?

• Like 3

Speaking of JCVD's apartment.....

Did anyone else notice that when he's initially attacked and looking for a weapon, his eyes drift about ten feet away to the open kitchen and a knife wedged into a partially cut onion? That may not seem that big of a deal, but just consider for a moment how much that place must stink.

So let's just paint this picture for a moment: Max, after a tough day of time Timecopping, comes home to his tiny studio apartment and starts to prepare dinner. At some point mid-chop, he suddenly decides to forego food for a liquid supper. He pops in a decade old video of his wife fucking up the construction of a birdhouse as he provides patronizing commentary off camera. He strips down to his boxers, masturbates (?), and passes out as the acrid stench of rotting onions slowly permeates throughout the tiny apartment.

Jesus Christ - this guy's whole life is a Grief Mullet...

• Like 6

Omfg y'all

Did we all forget to mention the "dorsal fin" joke? They never mentioned that and it's literally starting this whole movie off with a dick reference AND NO ONE HAS MENTIONED THE DORSAL FIN???

I am not sure what else to say besides them sitting in this really important meeting and someone in our government has to say that Actor/Activist Ron Silva's dick is bigger.

(Actually that sounds exactly like what someone in our government would do)

• Like 7

I tried to skim a lot of the thread, but I fwasn't sure if the fact that TimeCop being based on a comic series was mentioned at all? Mike Richardson & Mark Verheiden wrote the comic and then Mark went on to write the screenplay. IDK I just find this interesting. I kind of want to hunt down those comics sometime.

Some notes I forgot to mention earlier.

At the start of the movie, those horses should've been swiss cheese after being shot at.

Someone mentions "Carbon Testing" gold. Radiocarbon dating can't be done on inorganic material though, as far as I know. Can it be tested? Also wouldn't it not have time to age if it was just instantly brought back?

I was amused at the safety precaution of using a seat belt, etc, and yet the car disappears right after they go through the time portal.

I'm pretty impressed by how much everyone is into the time travel timelines, both the podcast and this forum. You guys are amazing.

I definitely enjoyed this movie more than I thought I would. I loved the Ron Silver melding together scene in particular.

• Like 5

I am not sure what else to say besides them sitting in this really important meeting and someone in our government has to say that Actor/Activist Ron Silva's dick is bigger.

I could hear that interpretation, but I actually took the reference more straightforwardly -- "You're are shark, George, but this guy is a bigger shark".

• Like 4

I could hear that interpretation, but I actually took the reference more straightforwardly -- "You're are shark, George, but this guy is a bigger shark".

But then that's what they should have said! Here's the exact line -

Very much like you, except his dorsal fin's a bit bigger.

Now I think literally what the dude was trying to say is that Actor/Activist Ron Silva is more show-y than Scott Lawrence, considering how when a shark comes to attack the first thing you see is the fin, but the way Actor/Activist Ron Silva looks at him it's like, "Yeah I gotta bigger dick than you oooooooh."

• Like 4

But then that's what they should have said! Here's the exact line -

Now I think literally what the dude was trying to say is that Actor/Activist Ron Silva is more show-y than Scott Lawrence, considering how when a shark comes to attack the first thing you see is the fin, but the way Actor/Activist Ron Silva looks at him it's like, "Yeah I gotta bigger dick than you oooooooh."

Who do you think has a bigger dorsal fin: Jaws or the Gen 2 in Deep Blue Sea?

• Like 4

Who do you think has a bigger dorsal fin: Jaws or the Gen 2 in Deep Blue Sea?

I think in reality Jaws does, but you know Gen 2 is the Actor/Activist Ron Silva of the two of them and thinks it has the bigger dorsal fin.

(I'm sorry I legit can't not put the entirety of Actor/Activist Ron Silva - it's too gd funny lol)

• Like 3

Omfg y'all

Did we all forget to mention the "dorsal fin" joke? They never mentioned that and it's literally starting this whole movie off with a dick reference AND NO ONE HAS MENTIONED THE DORSAL FIN???

(Actually that sounds exactly like what someone in our government would do)

A dorsal penis would look hilarious.

• Like 4

Yeah. Hilarious...

AlQ8x_s-200x150.gif

• Like 5

Thanks now I have that mental image in my head

• Like 3

Hey y'all. First time posting, so sorry if this was already discussed.

One thing that I thought about, and I think was absent from discussions in the Podcast, was the death of his 1930's partner.

Essentially, I think it's a pretty sloppy way to execute a person, (i.e. by time travelling him back and letting him fall to death from the building). Here's my thinking:

1. He could have easily fallen on someone else, hence altering the future drastically.

2. One could argue that he did alter the future by crushing someone's car and putting an unnecessary financial burden onto someone from the past.

3. What if the fall didn't kill him? Would they have known?

4. Lastly, the only person that knew he was in the process of falling to his death was JCVD, which means JCVD must have suggested this scenario, which is kinda f-ed up.

One other thing I wanted to point out, which was discussed a bit, was Mia Sara's insane decision to go up on the roof during the final showdown. Especially since it was during a thunderstorm and she went up to the weathervane. The fact that she didn't get struck by lightning was very fortunate. Perhaps this is another nod to Back To The Future?

Thoughts?

• Like 8

Could...JCVD go back in time and hold himself as a baby?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 2