🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Off-Week 15 (Joel_rosenbaum's Pick)

GLAD YOU DIDN'T ASK FOR MY GODDAMN OPINION

But I'm gonna give it anyway. 3D is a stupid fad made to milk people of extra money at the theater, and I will be glad when it dies away.

I had a hunch you were going to say that anyway :lol:

• Like 6

Does 3D give anyone else a massive headache? I have to take the glasses off several times during a showing. I always find 2D more than enough (unless it's the Muppet movie at Disney)

Yeah, this exact same thing happens to me. Maybe it's a combination of the physical pressure of the glasses on the bridge of my nose and the 3D images? I'm not sure, but I always have to take the glasses off at several points in the film and look away from the screen. So why pay more for a less pleasurable, downright painful experience? Apart from animated films, I did think Gravity used 3D well, along with Hugo and Tintin. There were moments in Dredd that were really interesting as well, since I remember the drug freakout sections of that film manifested a different dynamic in 3D. As you can probably tell from the release dates of those films, it's been a while since I enjoyed a 3D movie. I think the last one I even tried was Rogue One, and I only went to that because I was going with a group of friends.... and it was kind of infuriating.

• Like 4

Yeah, this exact same thing happens to me. Maybe it's a combination of the physical pressure of the glasses on the bridge of my nose and the 3D images? I'm not sure, but I always have to take the glasses off at several points in the film and look away from the screen. So why pay more for a less pleasurable, downright painful experience? Apart from animated films, I did think Gravity used 3D well, along with Hugo and Tintin. There were moments in Dredd that were really interesting as well, since I remember the drug freakout sections of that film manifested a different dynamic in 3D. As you can probably tell from the release dates of those films, it's been a while since I enjoyed a 3D movie. I think the last one I even tried was Rogue One, and I only went to that because I was going with a group of friends.... and it was kind of infuriating.

Question to the headache folks: do you wear glasses or contacts?

Just curious because I wear glasses, and I'm not sure if that factors into why I get headaches from 3D. But also, the images with 3D aren't all that crisp, which really bothers me. Like, the reasons to shoot on digital are resolution and cost, but 3D just shoots those both to hell.

• Like 5

I have glasses, but I never wear them lol that may be part of the problem.

• Like 4

Does 3D give anyone else a massive headache? I have to take the glasses off several times during a showing. I always find 2D more than enough (unless it's the Muppet movie at Disney)

I do not get a headache from 3D. I do wear glasses! I kinda don't like 3d just because it doesn't seem worth it to watch most movies in 3D.

• Like 4

Just curious because I wear glasses, and I'm not sure if that factors into why I get headaches from 3D. But also, the images with 3D aren't all that crisp, which really bothers me. Like, the reasons to shoot on digital are resolution and cost, but 3D just shoots those both to hell.

I have reading glasses but my vision is fine outside of that

• Like 3

I wear glasses. I don't get a headache from 3D but usually take my glasses off once or twice during a movie. One other thing I haven't seen mentioned is how much darker the 3D picture is from the polarized lenses. I am glad we're not doing the red/blue thing anymore but I'm not sure the loss of brightness is worth it.

My other issue is how it sometimes makes movies look like a glorified ViewMaster reel. I saw Spiderman in IMAX 3D and loved it but the Washington Monument scene was glaring. Sometimes wide shots in 3D shrink the picture so you lose perspective or it feels like you're watching the action from an airplane.

• Like 6

My problem with 3D is that the glasses are tinted and always smudgey, but I never feel like the contrast in the film is adjusted to take into account that the glasses are darker than just watching a 2D version. So I always feel like the movies become gloomy and indistinct. And I wind up taking the glasses off four or five times to furiously polish them to try to make it clearer. And if you want to make it worse, try taking little kids to a 3D movie where they keep pulling the glasses off. It's the worst.

• Like 7

I assume because so many people wear glasses here I got these special clip on 3D glasses for my glasses that the movie theater sells. Now I never got headaches but would sometimes feel nauseous in 3D movies. For some reason right around that time I stopped getting that feeling. It could be because it was like wearing nothing extra or just getting use to 3D in movies. Not sure.

Also

Sammich recently had me try watching the old Friday the 13th Part III 3D movie with the red/blue glasses. It totally gave me a headache. I think we switched to 2D about a 1/3rd of the way in. The 3D for current movies doesn't bother me AS much, but I prefer to pass it up. I don't even play my Nintendo 3DS with the 3D turned on.

Are you watching them all or was it just this one for the 3D?

• Like 6

I don't wear glasses, but the lack of clarity in a 3D image does bother me. It's like looking at the screen is a glimpse into the vision of what people who need prescription glasses see day-to-day.

• Like 4

Are you watching them all or was it just this one for the 3D?

Sammich found a DVD pack with a bunch of the Friday the 13th movies and wanted me to watch the 3D one specifically. Checking letterboxd, I have the first movie checked off as watched too, but I don't remember watching it at all... I'm confused...

• Like 2

Sammich found a DVD pack with a bunch of the Friday the 13th movies and wanted me to watch the 3D one specifically. Checking letterboxd, I have the first movie checked off as watched too, but I don't remember watching it at all... I'm confused...

I love the Friday the 13th movies. I know they're not good but I have a soft spot for them. I think it's because 1 through 8 actually have a real continuity to them which is weird and rare for a horror franchise.

• Like 3

I love the Friday the 13th movies. I know they're not good but I have a soft spot for them. I think it's because 1 through 8 actually have a real continuity to them which is weird and rare for a horror franchise.

Believe me, I'd love it if I could get her to watch the whole franchise, but either our schedules don't match up or she's reluctant. I did get her to watch a good number of the Hellraiser Franchise.

• Like 4

Believe me, I'd love it if I could get her to watch the whole franchise, but either our schedules don't match up or she's reluctant. I did get her to watch a good number of the Hellraiser Franchise.

Well after the 3rd one you can stop with Hellraiser. Well I guess unless you want to see young Adam Scott.

• Like 4

Well after the 3rd one you can stop with Hellraiser. Well I guess unless you want to see young Adam Scott.

Wait, Adam Scott?? Where??

I liked the Hellraiser ones, they had a very fantastical feel to them that was fun.

• Like 2

Wait, Adam Scott?? Where??

In the forth one, Bloodline, the one that is on a space ship Adam Scott is in the part of the story that takes place in 18th century France. He's not the box maker but like the other main French guy. It's been years I can't remember anything more specific.

• Like 5

I don't think I've watched any of them but I should. I'm a fan of Betsy Palmer (Jason's mom) from her days on the TV show I've Got a Secret. She passed away two years ago.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-friday-13th-mrs-voorhees-betsy-palmer-20150601-story.html

• Like 3

I don't think I've watched any of them but I should. I'm a fan of Betsy Palmer (Jason's mom) from her days on the TV show I've Got a Secret. She passed away two years ago.

http://www.latimes.c...0601-story.html

I've only seen the first one, and it was years ago, but I remember really enjoying it. I just never got around to the others (which I'm sure have diminishing returns).

Now....Nightmare on Elm Street, on the other hand, I have seen all of. Because it's the best.

• Like 5

alright folks, let's get into this.

Let's start with some Keith Haring...

Here's El Greco.

nO82Auv.jpg?1

(what are we doing?)

• Like 6

Here's El Greco.

nO82Auv.jpg?1

(what are we doing?)

Bam!

DEHamburgBucerius2008TemptationOfStAnthony.gif

You guys just got Bosch'd, bitches!

• Like 9

http://www.latimes.c...0601-story.html

Well, she's only in the first and briefly in the second. If you're going to watch any of them go with The Final Chapter which is part 4 because it's the best of what the series is all about and you also get Crispin Glover.

I've only seen the first one, and it was years ago, but I remember really enjoying it. I just never got around to the others (which I'm sure have diminishing returns).

Now....Nightmare on Elm Street, on the other hand, I have seen all of. Because it's the best.

It's almost a Star Trek thing with the even numbered ones being the good ones except 7 is better than 8 and once you get into the 90s very diminished returns.

I like Nightmare too and I think a few of them are actually better movies than the any of the Friday the 13th films, but if I had to pick one or the other I'd go Friday the 13th. What's your ranking of the Nightmare movies?

• Like 3

Bam!

You guys just got Bosch'd, bitches!

That's not Bosch...

• Like 3