🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 167.5 - Minisode 167.5

Power Rangers was better than Monster Trucks

• Like 3

I get that the world is run by the patriarchy but some of us don't want to see boobs all through a movie ..this Hawaii thing was terrible

• Like 3

I'm holding out hope for The Marine.

There's justifiable reason for the show to cover The Marine, particularly because of that one henchman's backstory. But at the same time, I almost don't want it to happen because there are pretty good odds they'd actually land having John Cena as the guest.

• Like 3

Almost every review of "Power Rangers" (2017) I saw online said that the battle scene at the end needed to be longer or that the movie needed MORE morphed Power Rangers in fights and not just at the end but I disliked the end scene b/c TOO MUCH CGI but loved the other parts of the movie.

Forget cats, give me funny and cute bear gifs and pictures anytime.

Here you go...

tumblr_mjs25x3CDg1s0pj15o1_500.gif

• Like 5

FWIW, I liked Power Rangers, too. But it wasn't better than Monster Trucks.

Also, just to make sure I do this right, I found Logan to be bloated and pretentious.

giphy.gif

• Like 5

Is it just me, or does Paul refer to "Welcome Back, Kotter" as both "Welcome Back, Carter" and "Welcome Back, Kotta"?

• Like 2

Also, just to make sure I do this right, I found Logan to be bloated and pretentious.

I was also pretty put off by Logan. I wasn't really invested in any of the characters and the action was... dare I say it... boring?

p.s. sorry paul

A+ on the Blood Bros pick though (also going to dig into the Leftovers this week).

• Like 3

Question though: what are you guys doing with your lives that you haven't watched Monster Trucks yet?

giphy.gif

I'm living my child-free life of rated R movies ;)

• Like 5

I'm living my child-free life of rated R movies ;)

Monster Trucks is for everyone. Give in to its glory.

• Like 4

Please please please do Queen of the Damn! It's my favorite bad movie of all time! I made an account just to say this, no joke.

• Like 3

Logan was bloated and pretentious : AGREE

• Like 1

Please please please do Queen of the Damn! It's my favorite bad movie of all time! I made an account just to say this, no joke.

Boo-back-lestat-32171262-245-300.gif

Welcome, Redred! It's always nice to meet new people with impeccable taste!

• Like 2

tumblr_oavz3gTAUJ1umohd4o1_500.gif

• Like 3

I don't know why I'm fighting for Hard Ticket so hard. Cameron, you can like or dislike whatever you learn BUT I think you are missing all the fun stuff about it. First of all watching any bad movie with one eye means you are going to miss all the smaller stuff that I think makes this movie so funny. I just watched it this morning. I was laughing hard the entire time. I think that's why people check out of The Room about 15 mins in too. I'd agree that this director has basically only directed soft core garbage but this is the one that transcended that. It's the reason a lot of "cool"/revival movie theaters play it as a midnight movie. On the surface it looks as exactly as you describe but the dialogue is pretty insane (oddly clever and just weird at points), their is a Wild snake with Cancer on the loose, bazookas that are used as precision weapons, a skateboarding assassin, a bizarre cross dressing subplot, karate (of course), jacuzzi brainstorming, witness protection, a villain with a toy helicopter, killer frisbees, samurai swords (not used correctly), flaming sandwiches, a main character that gets shot in the face in the first 10 minutes and continues to live, plus the best opening credit sequence and theme song. It's just one of those wonderful messes. It seems like his other films are a little more heartless but this one feels like he accidentally made the ultimate b movie. I do agree these need to be watched more intently than others because if it's just playing in the background. It will feel the way you described. (I also don't know any characters names).

Yes, their is gratuitous nudity but also a lot of it feels unsexual to me. Just people taking off their shirts for no reason. Even the two sex scenes are very tame. It's more like here are naked people - I always found the room sex scene and the Chopping mall ones to be more disturbo.

That being said, it's totally your perogative to dislike it and I'm not trying to argue against that . I just feel like you are missing the fun of it. Said as a person who just watched it (also I loved Ninja Terminator) - but I'm writing down all your suggestions. The marine has been on the list for awhile.

Also I thought I said Opening Night was coming August 1st. Sorry.

• Like 8

I don't know why I'm fighting for Hard Ticket so hard. Cameron, you can like or dislike whatever you learn BUT I think you are missing all the fun stuff about it. First of all watching any bad movie with one eye means you are going to miss all the smaller stuff that I think makes this movie so funny. I just watched it this morning. I was laughing hard the entire time. I think that's why people check out of The Room about 15 mins in too. I'd agree that this director has basically only directed soft core garbage but this is the one that transcended that. It's the reason a lot of "cool" movie theater play it as a midnight move. On the surface it looks as exactly as you describe but the dialogue is pretty insane, their is a Wild snake with Cancer on the loose, bazookas that are used as precision weapons, a skateboarding assassin, a bizarre cross dressing subplot, karate (of course), jacuzzi brainstorming, witness protection, a villain with a toy helicopter, killer frisbees, samurai swords (not used correctly), flaming sandwiches, a main character that gets shot in the face in the first 10 minutes and continues to live, plus the best opening credit sequence and theme song. It's just one of those wonderful messes. It seems like his other films are a little more heartless but this one feels like he accidentally made the ultimate b movie. I do agree these need to be watched more intently than others because if it's just playing in the background. It will feel the way you described. (I also don't know any characters names).

Yes, their is gratuitous nudity but also a lot of it feels unsexual to me. Just people taking off their shirts for no reason. Even the two sex scenes are very tame. It's more like here are naked people - I always found the room sex scene and the Chopping mall ones to be more disturbo.

That being said, it's totally your perogative to dislike it and I'm not trying to argue against that . I just feel like you are missing the fun of it. Said as a person who just watched it (also I loved Ninja Terminator) - but I'm writing down all your suggestions. The marine has been on the list for awhile.

Also I thought I said Opening Night was coming August 1st. Sorry.

Paul...I hate it when we fight :)

I agree, the nudity is pretty asexual and ridiculous. It's like the director is so inept he even fails at his attempts at exploitation. Maybe my problem is I've watched too many bad movies? Nothing about this or Ninja Terminator really grab me as a connoisseur of shitty cinema. But, to be fair, I just watched The Room recently and that didn't do too much for me either. (I AM looking forward to The Disaster Artist, however.) This movie just feels cheap to me. And lazy. And it certainly didn't make me want to watch it closer to pick out the dumb little details I so love to point out.

That isn't to say that it isn't without it's ridiculous moments, sparring on a yacht was pretty funny, but I felt like a lot of the moments came off as too broad. It would be like making fun of the idiocy of Hot Shots: Part Deux. You can do it, but it seems rather futile to me. And since "quality" was never the director's intention in the first place, it feels like pissing in the wind. I guess I prefer...nuance in my bad movies?

That all being said, I have been watching these movies at 5AM when my 11 month old son wakes up (Yes, I watch these movies with an infant. Is that weird?). It is quite possible that my fatigue is preventing me from appreciating these movie to their fullest. ;)

Possibly.

Bottom line: you guys are going to have a great show tonight! I wish I could be there, even if it were for this turd rocket of a movie. You're going to give this movie the treatment it deserves. I'm just saying, personally, I don't have much to add to the conversation. I watched it. It was weird. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Don't worry, we'll be back on the same page soon - I'm sure of it!

giphy.gif

• Like 5

Bras do not seem to exist is this movie's world, and as a breasted individual I'm a bit envious of that. Also, whatever they were doing in that last sex scene was not sex. That's not how that works. Also also, I really like how they did the credits sequences.

• Like 5

Ha. I can't disagree with your points. As another parent who is getting up in the 5ams. The fact that you even watch a movie is mind blowing. It's taken june and I six sittings to get thru the finale of the Americans. And we liked it.

Also I'm telling Avaryl about Queen of the Damned. Have any of you seen stolen or criminal? Any good?

• Like 7

Also I'm telling Avaryl about Queen of the Damned. Have any of you seen stolen or criminal? Any good?

Paul, I'm verklempt! Even you just mentioning the possibility of this makes me verklempt!

Criminal as in the Kevin Costner masterpiece? I actually tried just last week and got bored... Lol! I do want to attempt again!

• Like 5

got to admit, by the end i was laughing both with it and at it. this movie is nuts. knowingly nuts but still nuts. would have been handy to know it was some sort of sequel to something though. i probably should have done a little research on these movies but that might have taken away some of the "WHAT??" moments. i'll leave that to paul and the gang.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

68zU7vx.gif

• Like 2

Ha. I can't disagree with your points. As another parent who is getting up in the 5ams. The fact that you even watch a movie is mind blowing. It's taken june and I six sittings to get thru the finale of the Americans. And we liked it.

It's rough waking up that early, but you know we'll both miss these days once they've passed. Besides, I feel like he and I get to have our quality time watching these dumb movies together.

I haven't seen The Americans yet, but I really want to check it out. I hear you, though. Pretty much anything I try to watch takes about that many viewings to get through. I have a five year old as well and the two of them like to coordinate their attacks - as soon as one of them is taken care of the other one needs something. But, you know, it's a pleasure. I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

• Like 2

I have seen Criminal. Maybe other people will appreciate it but I thought it was pretty boring. I had to check my records to confirm I had seen it which isn't a good sign.

In other news, I got this at work. Time to see if Monster Trucks lives up to the hype!

aOztOD7.jpg

If I haven't posted in a couple hours, assume I've become one with the cosmos.

• Like 7

I've been meaning to watch The Americans because I hear great thing. I find the timing odd that I just blasted through the last season of The Leftoverers a few days before Paul picked it. It's very good but so heavy and emotionally draining.

I've seen Stolen but it was so long ago I barely remember it. Sorry Paul. What about Bangcock Dangerous or Next for weird Cage films?

• Like 3

giphy.gif

logan was, for me, the best movie of the year. wolverine is the only one of the x-men i care about and to see jackman sign off like that was amazing.

but as we're confessing stuff. you know the way some movies are hyped up and up and up and then you see it and go "... i don't know ... "? well this was my reaction to baby driver....

landscape-1493376354-howard-the-duck-maybe.gif

don't get me wrong, it was good but it was all done much better before. all i wanted to do was go home and watch true romance again. it had great action scenes and fox, spacey, hamm & gonzalez were excellent in their roles but the two love birds put me to sleep. i was so bored by them they kinda sucked the life out of it. i haven't seen elgort before and i'm not going to be rushing to find his other work..... watch now he'll be announced as the next wolverine tomorrow.

• Like 3

In other news, I got this at work. Time to see if Monster Trucks lives up to the hype!

aOztOD7.jpg

If I haven't posted in a couple hours, assume I've become one with the cosmos.

source.gif

I just want to forewarn you, attaining Nirvana feels a lot like greasy pizza bloat. Just ride it out, bro.

• Like 5