🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 167.5 - Minisode 167.5

I'm kinda hoping my flights have both Power Rangers and Monster Trucks on them because Power Rangers just came out here in theaters and I don't know if we'll ever get Monster Trucks.

• Like 4

Just throwing some ideas out for Halloween, what about Jack Frost, one of the many Hell Raiser sequels or Texas Chainsaw Massecre: Next Generation? Anyone else seen these?

Paul, while we have your ear, two movie suggestions I would make are The Phantom of the Paradise and The Lure. Our Musical Mondays group covered Phantom a couple weeks ago (at poster eternalsammich's suggestion) and we will be discussing The Lure (suggested by Fister Roboto) this coming Monday. I think you guys would have an absolute ball with Phantom. We also have the hook-up with a guy who is a historian of the film.

And while I haven't watched The Lure yet, it's a Polish Musical about two, man-eating, lounge singing mermaids, I'm pretty sure it's going to be great. Plus, it could be your first foreign film.

It's up to you of course, but they might be something you want to pass along to Avaryl and Nate.

Knock 'em dead tonight! Let us know how it goes ;)

• Like 6

I'm kinda hoping my flights have both Power Rangers and Monster Trucks on them because Power Rangers just came out here in theaters and I don't know if we'll ever get Monster Trucks.

Say the word, man, and I will set up a Monster Trucks viewing party with you over rabb.it. I own it. I will make this happen for you.

• Like 2

Say the word, man, and I will set up a Monster Trucks viewing party with you over rabb.it. I own it. I will make this happen for you.

I think I'll be back in time for the next live viewing. I get back on the 11th.

• Like 1

I have a DVD you can just have for yourself. I'm halfway through and can guarantee I won't be watching it again.

• Like 4

Just throwing some ideas out for Halloween, what about Jack Frost, one of the many Hell Raiser sequels or Texas Chainsaw Massecre: Next Generation? Anyone else seen these?

Sadly seen all of those you mentioned. Jack Frost is probably the best option as the Hell Raiser sequels are mostly just bad. Although it would be great to get Adam Scott back on to talk about the one he was in. Texas Chainsaw is not as crazy as people think. The whole cross dressing Leatherface is a very brief thing at the end of the movie. Although it does have some delightful over the top acting.

If you want to watch something bad there is also a shot on video direct to video sequel to Jack Frost called Jack Frost 2: Revenge of the Killer Mutant Snowman in which Jack Frost comes back to attack people at a tropical resort. It was made for 100 bucks and it shows.

• Like 4

Paul, while we have your ear, two movie suggestions I would make are The Phantom of the Paradise and The Lure. Our Musical Mondays group covered Phantom a couple weeks ago (at poster eternalsammich's suggestion) and we will be discussing The Lure (suggested by Fister Roboto) this coming Monday. I think you guys would have an absolute ball with Phantom. We also have the hook-up with a guy who is a historian of the film.

And while I haven't watched The Lure yet, it's a Polish Musical about two, man-eating, lounge singing mermaids, I'm pretty sure it's going to be great. Plus, it could be your first foreign film.

It's up to you of course, but they might be something you want to pass along to Avaryl and Nate.

Knock 'em dead tonight! Let us know how it goes ;)

100% and fully support these suggestions - both utterly insane yet incredibly watchable movies. I saw The Lure last night and it's refused to exit my brain all day, as though it's some kind of monstrous befanged Polish naked mermaid stripper singer.

Phantom is particularly ripe for HDTGM. Pop in to the Musical Mondays threads from time to time - we'd love to have you!

• Like 6

I have a DVD you can just have for yourself. I'm halfway through and can guarantee I won't be watching it again.

giphy.gif

• Like 6

giphy.gif

Spoiler alert for my upcoming review: I don't hate Monster Trucks but it is not my favorite movie of the year.

• Like 5

I'll give the forums this much, I have to believe this is the most "Monster Trucks" has ever been discussed. Clearly the studio never discussed the flick at this length before greenlighting it.

• Like 8

I suppose this is the backdoor movie suggestion thread.

Tangent alert, when I studied abroad my friends mercilessly teased me for having this suggestively titled book

51FNR5XEP3L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 2

Tangent alert, when I studied abroad my friends mercilessly teased me for having this suggestively titled book

I guarantee Jason would be on board to discuss anything with that for a title.

• Like 3

Rick Steves is the fucking best!

(I feel like I'm really parting the kimono this week...)

• Like 2

rick-steves-fashion-12.jpg

Pimping ain't easy, Cam.

• Like 3

I love Rick Steves - he's the reason I visited Gimmelwald and Cinque Terre.

100% and fully support these suggestions - both utterly insane yet incredibly watchable movies. I saw The Lure last night and it's refused to exit my brain all day, as though it's some kind of monstrous befanged Polish naked mermaid stripper singer.

Stop tempting me to discuss this movie before Monday! "Czary mary" won't leave my brain.

I hope your airline also has Chips, King Arthur, and Collateral Beauty. It's probably too soon for Book of Henry, but here's hoping!

• Like 4

A totally serious review of Monster Trucks

I hate myself for saying this but Monster Trucks is not terrible maybe even good. It's definitely better than it's reviews (except for Cinemascore where it inexplicably has an A). If you have kids around 10 years old, they will probably like it. I would push parents toward similarish movies like E.T., the new Pete's Dragon or even Harry And The Hendersons. It's only real problem is that the plot is very tired and predictable. Any adult will be able to see the all the major plot points from about 10 minutes in, but it's a movie for kids.

The cast is surprisingly good. Rob Lowe, Amy Ryan, Danny Glover, Thomas Lennon, Jane Levy, Barry Pepper. I know most the cast is here just to take a paycheck but they do a pretty good job with what they are given which is why they're all known character actors. It's acting in a Nickelodeon movie. So, not truly great performances but they all work within the film. I felt bad for Jane Levy because I thought this might kill her rising star potential after great work in Evil Dead and Don't Breathe but she's really good early in the movie. She plays a goody two shoes nerd and you can tell she's giving a consciously quirky performance that isn't painfully quirky until it just devolves into playing the main actor's love interest which is disappointing. I was also mildly disappointed with Thomas Lennon for doing the one shot of his character vomiting that I found to be pointless and distasteful.

The science is a bit dodgy even for a movie with underground octopusses but not even HDTGM worthy.

Maybe I'm becoming a big ol' softy but any time the monsters were in danger or hurt, I was genuinely kind of upset. Even though I knew everything would work out in the end, I still got emotional. I laughed at a couple of the jokes and laughed a lot at a couple serious moments. So, idk, the movie mostly worked on me.

Also, this movie totally gets me and my phone habits:

uKNyCwq.jpg

3no5Mmi.jpg

tldr - the movie isn't bad. I might even very cautiously recommend it to parents but Cameron, this should not be your favorite movie of the year. Your kids might really appreciate Get Out or The Big Sick.

• Like 7

grudlian. are you on letterboxd?

I am not. Isn't that mostly an amateur review website? Should I be?

• Like 2

It's a pretty nifty way that a bunch of us HDTGM Board Buds can keep track of each other's film opinions and watching habits. Creepy? Nah, just community-building!

I just really appreciate that Paul is willing to engage with us on the boards. Not only that, but I also appreciate Cameron H. being erudite and patient enough to explain his points in civil, measured, and intelligent discussion. This is what the Internet is supposed to be.

Still, when I read comments saying that Logan is bloated and boring...

giphy.gif

• Like 9

I've never heard that phrase before

I hope your airline also has Chips, King Arthur, and Collateral Beauty. It's probably too soon for Book of Henry, but here's hoping!

King Arthur came here as quickly as it left here and from what I've heard Collateral Beauty is one of the most insane things ever.

It's a site that allows you to log what movies you see and review them and make lists. For critics, professional or amateur, or just to spy on what people you know are watching and see what they like. A lot of us here are on it.

• Like 5

grudlian. are you on letterboxd?

Correction: I guess I am now under the name grudlian. I wouldn't expect a ton of reviews since I'm not really good at reviewing movies but maybe occasionally? I really wish I could import my list of watched movies from icheckmovies.com because, frankly, I don't want to go through the hassle of checking thousands of movies again.

I just really appreciate that Paul is willing to engage with us on the boards. Not only that, but I also appreciate Cameron H. being erudite and patient enough to explain his points in civil, measured, and intelligent discussion. This is what the Internet is supposed to be.

I think Paul is willing to talk and respond because conversation is, as you said, civil, measured and intelligent. If it were typical movie website commentary alternating between masturbatory fawning and hyperbolic nitpicking, I'm sure he'd avoid these message boards like the plague. And Cameron H. was erudite enough to get me to watch Monster Trucks. So, uhhhh, there's that too.

King Arthur came here as quickly as it left here and from what I've heard Collateral Beauty is one of the most insane things ever.

Feel free to skip King Arthur. It verges on being HDTGM worthy but it's not an enjoyable watch.

• Like 8

Yes! After watching The Lure today, I was thinking it''d be a really good one to cover for the podcast.

Cause I would love someone to help me understand wtf was going on. haha.

I don't know how to describe it, but I for sure was not bored watching it at all.

I would push parents toward similarish movies like E.T., the new Pete's Dragon

Excuse me.. what do you have against the cartoon Elliot? :P

200.gif#2-grid1

• Like 5

I'm late to this but it's very possible Paul said August 1 and I just didn't hear it. Sometimes I get overeager when there's something I want to watch. As soon as I heard a Birdman-esque musical with that cast, I was looking for it.

The Lure...I am watching this today, god help me.

Monster Trucks, Cameron you've convinced me to check this out as well. Good luck.

• Like 6

I feel like I have a lot to respond to, so here we go...

First of all, you guys got me...I'm actually Lucas Till.

tumblr_lpf7eiDH7P1ql5zj9.gif

Thanks for watching Monster Trucks!

re: grudlian's review - That is an absolutely fair take on Monster Trucks.

re: Logan - I get why people love it, but I found it to be way too self-reverential. Also, just because something is now Rated R, doesn't fucking mean that every other fucking word has to be "fuck." I call it "Reverse Major League 2 Syndrome" and it's a very real and very obnoxious problem.

re: "parting the kimono" I think I stole that from My Brother, My Brother, and Me or The Adventure Zone...

re: Letterboxd - I didn't think I would write many reviews when I first signed up, but I found that I usually have some smartass thing to say about most movies I watch. Plus, it's a great way to keep track of what you're watching. For example, did you know the last movie I watched before Hard Ticket to Hawaii was Schindler's List? In retrospect, probably not the best apéritif for this particular film...

re: The Lure - Now that I've seen it, I'm torn over my recommendation. It is absolutely bonkers, but it is a bit dark. There's plenty to talk about, though.

Regardless, everyone should definitely watch it.

re: all the kind words - Thank you! Although I think you're all being far too kind. I just think people too often forget that there are real living people on the other side of the monitor (so to speak). I just try to keep that in mind whenever I interact with others online. I don't want to be the reason for someone else's bad day.

And, of course, you're all great people so it makes it that much easier!

• Like 5