๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
JulyDiaz

Episode 167.5 - Minisode 167.5

Also I'm telling Avaryl about Queen of the Damned. Have any of you seen stolen or criminal? Any good?

ย 

Hello Paul!

ย 

I've just finished "Stolen"...

ย 

I'ts a mish-mash of action tropes and little bits taken from other movies like: "Heat" "Blue Streak" "Taken" "The Call" A line about being shot in the stomach from "Reservoir Dogs/Kill Bill" and a "Friday 13th" jumpscare

ย 

Not too crazy or funny just somewhat forgettable 'cuz we've seen most of it before (A surveillance scene at the end did craked me up)

ย 

TBH I was surprised that it was the same director from the HDTGM Nic Cage Classic "Con-Air"

ย 

IMHO I know we have a "movie picks" pile at this point, but for a better and crazier Nic Cage movie set on New Orleans (Stolen only features Goody 2 Shoes Bank Robber Cage who gets spooked and runs all over the place) the better choice is "Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans" (And I'm almost sure you and Jason have talked about on past episodes)

ย 

ย 

I'm currently watching "Criminal"... I'll report back when I'm done

• Like 3

Regarding Opening Night, I watched it despite Paul not being in it... And it's pretty good! Thanks for the accidental recommendation!

This is the first time I've taken the time to go back and watch an old movie I never saw before just because HDTGM was gonna do an episode on it... I think I've made a terrible mistake...

• Like 1

Have any of you seen stolen or criminal? Any good?

ย 

Hello again Paul...

ย 

I've just watched Criminal and fully recommend it for the HDTGM treatment

ย 

This is pure Kevin Costner HARD R unhinged action crazyness from the same 2 writers of "The Rock" (Was Nic cage up for this role at some point?) I don't even want to say anything about the movie 'cuz I went blind into it and liked it a lot for what it tried to be and for what it ended being

ย 

It's a dumb premisse sure, but I think it was a fun one after giving it a look...

ย 

P.S.: Fun little Criminal drinking game... Drink/Take a shot when you hear any of these... Dutchman, Jerico, Russians and Wormhole

• Like 3

i wrote a post thinking it was in the actual Chopping Mall ep but i was in the wrong thread and now i cant figure out how to delete the post.

ย 

ill see myself out.

• Like 1

I tapped out to hard ticket to hawaii at the 1 hour mark thinking I've seen enough. Then decided that I might as well power through the last 35 mins. When I encountered the biggest gem in the movie:

ย 

Pervert producer: They want you to interview the lady golfer Muffy Fremont.

Douche host: No, she's so stupid she went home to study for her pap test.

ย 

What the serious fuck?

So first time poster here. But I'm not going to lie, I was not all that shocked by the director's attitude and I was stunned to hear June so rattled. You mean that a director of a 1970/80's schlock-fest was only in to get young actresses naked? That's so obvious you can see it from space. Mind you I'm not defending this guy, yes he is a creep. But I thought the whole point of this podcast was to point and laugh at these guys

• Like 1

So first time poster here. But I'm not going to lie, I was not all that shocked by the director's attitude and I was stunned to hear June so rattled. You mean that a director of a 1970/80's schlock-fest was only in to get young actresses naked? That's so obvious you can see it from space. Mind you I'm not defending this guy, yes he is a creep. But I thought the whole point of this podcast was to point and laugh at these guys

It'd be easier to laugh at it if it were not still happening in 2017.

ย 

Also it'd be easier to laugh at if casual (and not so casual) sexism weren't happening every. single. day. Shit gets exhausting.

ย 

EDIT: Since I did not read any of the Chopping Mall posts until now I wanted to add that since we had a person who actually dealt with this director comment on /how/ distressing he was to work with, that is also why it's not really something to laugh at. They (those involved in the making of the film) laugh at how easy it is for them to get women naked while those women feel completely exploited and uncomfortable in their workplace. That's not a great thing to make fun of.

• Like 9

Very excited to hear that Hard Ticket To Hawaii is on deck. The goofballs at Red Letter Media (of Phantom Menace Review [in]fame) covered it here along with some other pretty great films: http://redlettermedia.com/best-of-the-worst-deadly-prey-hard-ticket-to-hawaii-and-miami-connection/

ย 

Deadly Prey is also free to watch on YouTube (or was a while back) and I kind of think it might also be HDTGM-worthy.

• Like 1

It'd be easier to laugh at it if it were not still happening in 2017.

ย 

Also it'd be easier to laugh at if casual (and not so casual) sexism weren't happening every. single. day. Shit gets exhausting.

ย 

EDIT: Since I did not read any of the Chopping Mall posts until now I wanted to add that since we had a person who actually dealt with this director comment on /how/ distressing he was to work with, that is also why it's not really something to laugh at. They (those involved in the making of the film) laugh at how easy it is for them to get women naked while those women feel completely exploited and uncomfortable in their workplace. That's not a great thing to make fun of.

Interesting timing on the follow-up episode. I haven't seen the film yet, but it sounds like Hard Ticket to Hawaii has a fair amount of nudity. Maybe it's a little different because the actresses made their earlier careers off of being naked, though that's not to say sexism is ok in this instance. Also, hopefully the guys putting this film together weren't as lecherous as the clown from Chopping Mall.

• Like 1

Interesting timing on the follow-up episode. I haven't seen the film yet, but it sounds like Hard Ticket to Hawaii has a fair amount of nudity. Maybe it's a little different because the actresses made their earlier careers off of being naked, though that's not to say sexism is ok in this instance. Also, hopefully the guys putting this film together weren't as lecherous as the clown from Chopping Mall.

I mean there really aren't a ton of films they've covered that don't heavily feature some form of sexism. This is why I do the "This Week in Feminism" posts cause this is always usually what stands out to me the most. The Fast and the Furious franchise is also not the pinnacle of treating women correctly. So much so that Michelle Rodriguez has even called them out and said she'll never be in another one if they don't get their shit together.

ย 

But I think this is also why June added the "unless you want to" part of her end talk to women in Hollywood, because honestly being naked on film doesn't automatically mean a man has forced you to (but that goes into a much longer conversation).

ย 

I don't think it's a coincidence that Ninja Terminator turned out to be the most feminist movie they've covered yet. And I dare say that one of the ways to tell if a movie is bad is by how they treat the women on screen (in any form - I mean look at Twilight, technically passes the Bechdel test but holy shit does that perpetuate toxic relationships and the existence of the "friend zone" which only harms young girls).

• Like 4

I mean there really aren't a ton of films they've covered that don't heavily feature some form of sexism. This is why I do the "This Week in Feminism" posts cause this is always usually what stands out to me the most. The Fast and the Furious franchise is also not the pinnacle of treating women correctly. So much so that Michelle Rodriguez has even called them out and said she'll never be in another one if they don't get their shit together.

ย 

But I think this is also why June added the "unless you want to" part of her end talk to women in Hollywood, because honestly being naked on film doesn't automatically mean a man has forced you to (but that goes into a much longer conversation).

ย 

I don't think it's a coincidence that Ninja Terminator turned out to be the most feminist movie they've covered yet. And I dare say that one of the ways to tell if a movie is bad is by how they treat the women on screen (in any form - I mean look at Twilight, technically passes the Bechdel test but holy shit does that perpetuate toxic relationships and the existence of the "friend zone" which only harms young girls).

Great point on June's comment about "unless you want to", which is kind of why I mentioned the stars of Hard Ticket being former Playboy (I think) models. I'm glad she added that to her statements on Chopping Mall.

ย 

I unfortunately haven't seen much from Ninja Terminator other than the Garfield phone. By its description, I would have never guessed it's got any feminist quality!

• Like 2

Great point on June's comment about "unless you want to", which is kind of why I mentioned the stars of Hard Ticket being former Playboy (I think) models. I'm glad she added that to her statements on Chopping Mall.

ย 

I unfortunately haven't seen much from Ninja Terminator other than the Garfield phone. By its description, I would have never guessed it's got any feminist quality!

Actually, I didn't watch NT either lol! But from the description by the gang + Abbi & Ilana it literally sounds like the most female friendly thing they've done lol!

• Like 2

I'm just going to post this here (I hope you don't mind, Max).

ย 

I couldn't watch The Lure last night because of 3 things...

ย 

1. I fell asleep

ย 

2. I woke up at 3am and "got" up to date with G.o.T. :) #notsorry

ย 

(And most importantly...) 3. I watched Cameron H.'s best film of the year "Monster-ABSOLUTE MASTERPIECE-Trucks" (Yes I said it!)

ย 

THIS IS NOT A JOKE #100realandtrue

ย 

Cameron H. let me publicly say to you that I'm deeply sorry if any of my thoughts, actions, and previous posts seemed to convey that I was a "Monster Trucks" NON believer that was just a nasty side-effect from the UNFAIR the review cicle this EPIC GEM recieved in the media and Internet (PLUS I had not seen it yet)... I wish to be one with the underground lake creatures

ย 

You are redeemed and all of those who have doubted the quality of M.T. simply are not working on the highest ( or lowest if you are a lake creature ;) ) level of consciousness and spiritual enlightenment you get from witnessing the greatness of this Film

ย 

All of that said, I still feel that 100% worthy... I'm getting there, the problem is I'm not brave enough to say or write that "Monster Trucks is the best film of the year" (both 2016 and 2017 'cuz it premiered on/after Christmas 2016 in France, UK, Ireland and Malaysia... 4 Lucky countries) Much like Barry Pepper's policeman character, the truth is in front of me (Like you told the world, I saw it in the film) but I have to work some personal stuff out to bond with my adoptive son Tripp (Lucas Till, who you confessed was your REAL identity) And WE know what happened with teir relationship at the end of the movie :D

ย 

I've decided that my punishment for my lack of "Monster Truck" courage is to spread the word about it (Much like you Cameron H.) and watch it a bunch

ย 

tl;dr... I 100% UN-Ironically LOVED/LOVE "Monster Trucks" Thank You Cameron H.

ย 

35661_3_large.jpg

ย 

ย 

ย 

giphy.gif

ย 

ย 

Who's "insane" now, Mr. Scheer?

• Like 4

I'm just going to post this here (I hope you don't mind, Max)

ย 

I don't :D

ย 

Who's "insane" now, Mr. Scheer?

ย 

ย 

*In Jason's Voice* "Oh Boy..." :o

• Like 1

patton_oswalt__big_fan_movie_image__1_.jpg

Woah woah woah

ย 

I do not understand the context of this image being posted and frankly how dare u sir

• Like 2

Woah woah woah

ย 

I do not understand the context of this image being posted and frankly how dare u sir

ย 

It's from Big Fan, where Patton is a pretty unhinged Giants fan that calls in to a sports talk radio show to argue with an Eagles fan.

• Like 3

It's from Big Fan, where Patton is a pretty unhinged Giants fan that calls in to a sports talk radio show to argue with an Eagles fan.

Hmmmm... While I support anyone taking down an Eagles fan I still say how dare u sir lol

ย 

tenor.gif

• Like 1

Uh-oh. Monster Trucks might have a run for its money...

ย 

I just watched:

ย 

ย 

share.jpg

j/k Monster Trucks is still better. :)

ย 

ย 

ย 

• Like 1