🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays - Week 17 - The Lure

The policewoman and nurse were the most random though, at least Triton stuck around longer.

I just thought of another WTF? inserted scene. The dream scene where the girls are each sucking on a breast of the older lady. I thought it was a vampire thing where she was letting them eat her so she could escape her life but then she was in the next scene as if nothing happened.

Oh yeah, nevermind----THAT was the most random and WTF scene. You're right.

• Like 5

I think that was a breastfeeding scene - Kinga was the mother figure of the girls.

That makes sense. Kinga was wearing some sort of netting. Although that netting looked familiar...

Tommy-3.png

• Like 3

Although that netting looked familiar...

Tommy-3.png

Vlvmp.gif

I think that was a breastfeeding scene - Kinga was the mother figure of the girls.

Random q: do y'all think Mietek supposed to be Kinga's son? Or does he just live with her? I couldn't figure out if they were supposed to be a family unit or if they're just a band that lives together (and two of them are a couple).

Because my initial take was that Kinga was also using the girls as a way to experience the motherhood she wanted but didn't have. But I don't know if that's really the case because it's so hard to get a handle on the relationship between the Kinga, Mietek, and the drummer guy.

• Like 4

Vlvmp.gif

Random q: do y'all think Mietek supposed to be Kinga's son? Or does he just live with her? I couldn't figure out if they were supposed to be a family unit or if they're just a band that lives together (and two of them are a couple).

Because my initial take was that Kinga was also using the girls as a way to experience the motherhood she wanted but didn't have. But I don't know if that's really the case because it's so hard to get a handle on the relationship between the Kinga, Mietek, and the drummer guy.

I thought Mietek was the one receiving the blow job and that's why Silver was so upset when she peeked through the key hole. Hopefully that wouldn't be happening if Kinga and Mietek were mother and son. (I just re-read your comment and missed that KInga was using the girls as surrogate daughters. That raises a couple thoughts for me. 1) She may have been trying to treat Mietek as a son but moved on once "younger, prettier" options came along. She could take the girls shopping which she couldn't do with Mietek. 2) Maybe once the girls came along she stopped trying with Mietek and maybe was trying to win him as a lover to replace the "father", hence the blow job.)

I also thought they just lived together because it was a lot cheaper and they weren't making much money. The older folks were together for "security" (or inertia) but there was no love between them. (See my #2 comment above as to what was maybe going on.) I also love how we're referring to Kinga's character by the actress' name but every one else we're using the character names. It's cool. I couldn't type Wokalistka Krysia a bunch either.

It seems to me like Mietek is the real siren here. Through his (in)actions he destroys Silver, Golden (through losing her sister), the band & their relationship to each other and his new marriage.

• Like 5

I also love how we're referring to Kinga's character by the actress' name but every one else we're using the character names. It's cool. I couldn't type Wokalistka Krysia a bunch either.

I legit thought my subtitles were fucked up and her character's name was supposed to be Kinga this whole time. I kept wondering why no one was referring to her as Krysia and didn't even bother looking it up lmao.

• Like 5

I legit thought my subtitles were fucked up and her character's name was supposed to be Kinga this whole time. I kept wondering why no one was referring to her as Krysia and didn't even bother looking it up lmao.

I caught zero names over the course of the movie except for Golden and Silver (which I mix up every time), so I'm just taking everyone's word for it when they use names. In my head, their names are blonde dude, singer lady, drum guy, club owner, and surprise wife.

• Like 5

I caught zero names over the course of the movie except for Golden and Silver (which I mix up every time), so I'm just taking everyone's word for it when they use names. In my head, their names are blonde dude, singer lady, drum guy, club owner, and surprise wife.

Same! :)

I'm amazed people are using anyone's names at all.

• Like 6

Same. I was mostly following people's leads with Kinga (cause I knew who they were referencing, I didn't remember a name).

And Golden/Silver I get confused. I just know it's the opposite of what I thought / want it to be.

Cause I feel like the blonde mermaid should've been called Golden..

• Like 7

Thank god, I thought I was the only one. I had to double check names on IMDB when people started posting them.

• Like 5

LOL sorry about "Kinga." I went with it because I didn't know the character's name.

tumblr_oo69mz8X7J1uy3noqo1_500.gif

• Like 4

Okay here's my actual take on the movie now that I've had some time to sit on it.

It was both exactly what I expected and not at all what I expected at the same time. I think I would have liked it more if it didn't rely on the Little Mermaid story so much like others have mentioned. I really expected it to be this slasher musical flick that had a ton of girls eating flesh (has anyone seen Raw yet? I've heard that is amazing) and hiding the fact that they are actually monsters using their music to lure victims. But really we only see like three instances of murder with little pay off and that felt really disappointing. I didn't give a SHIT about Silver's love for Bobo!Bieber and I really just wanted murder.

Also I didn't catch that it was supposed to be set in the 80s until I read the synopsis afterwards. That doesn't seem like a bad thing because I feel like they can really make it more timeless that way.

Oh and if they had vaginas in their fish tails where did they go when they grew legs?

• Like 7

Bobo!Bieber

The whole time I was watching I felt like he was a bobo Peter from Degrassi...hahaha

jamie_johnston.jpg

Or kinda Evan Peters-y. Somewhere in between..

Evan-Peters-AHS-Tate-Langdon.png

• Like 6

The whole time I was watching I felt like he was a bobo Peter from Degrassi...hahaha

Or kinda Evan Peters-y. Somewhere in between..

Bobo anyone with "Peter" in their name

• Like 6

Okay here's my actual take on the movie now that I've had some time to sit on it.

It was both exactly what I expected and not at all what I expected at the same time. I think I would have liked it more if it didn't rely on the Little Mermaid story so much like others have mentioned. I really expected it to be this slasher musical flick that had a ton of girls eating flesh (has anyone seen Raw yet? I've heard that is amazing) and hiding the fact that they are actually monsters using their music to lure victims. But really we only see like three instances of murder with little pay off and that felt really disappointing. I didn't give a SHIT about Silver's love for Bobo!Bieber and I really just wanted murder.

Also I didn't catch that it was supposed to be set in the 80s until I read the synopsis afterwards. That doesn't seem like a bad thing because I feel like they can really make it more timeless that way.

Oh and if they had vaginas in their fish tails where did they go when they grew legs?

This was more or less my take on it. It's not that I didn't like it, but I didn't love it as much as I'd hoped. I didn't watch the trailer beforehand, and I guess (based on the premise alone) I just expected it to be more kitschy. I certainly wasn't expecting what it ended up being. Maybe that's why I liked the shopping number so much? It felt the most like what I was expecting the whole movie to be like...

As far as it being set in the 80's, you just blew my mind. There is literally nothing to indicate that as far as I could tell. Everything - from the music, to the wardrobe, to the hairstyles - felt absolutely contemporary to me.

• Like 6

I suppose it's unfair but 1980s Poland looks like this in my mind:

28661id_136_primary_w1600.jpg

• Like 6

I agree with Taylor...wouldve been better with more mermaids eating dudes! But I did like it, just didnt totally love it.

And also think it would've been cooler if the musical aspect was if the mermaids were more siren-like. With the songs being their way to lure in guys to eat.

The shopping song/scene was my favorite musical part of the movie. Otherwise the other songs /music scenes were meh to me.

Vzp9bT2K.jpg

And yeah... prob would've enjoyed it better with Peter Dinklage as Mietek. Haha!

• Like 5

Wait no one helped me figure out where the hell their vaginas went when they grew legs.

This may have been a thing I was really focused on throughout this film...

• Like 7

Wait no one help me figure out where the hell their vaginas went when they grew legs.

This may have been a thing I was really focused on throughout this film...

I was busy trying to think up names for that body part.

Fingina maybe?

• Like 8

With the exception of cartilaginous fish (sharks et al.), fish are external fertilizers. The female lays a bunch of eggs in the water and then the male comes by and sprays its sperm all over them. This is obviously very different from how humans and other mammals reproduce. How do they reconcile *THAT* difference?

• Like 5

Yes, I was puzzled by the finginaTM as well - when Silver hits on the guy in the bar she says something along the lines of "I'm going to get a pussy" (sic) - so she doesn't consider the hole in her leg a vagina. But when the creepy club owner guy puts his hand in there she seems to show pleasure (maybe just for his edification?), and she does invite Bobo Peter Dinklage to put his dick in there, doesn't she? In all of these cases, it seems like that is definitely a mermaid vagina, but Silver seems fixated on getting a human vagina. Is this because Bobo Peter Dinklage is only attracted to humans?

AND ALSO. If she gets her tail cut off and gets a human vagina, to pretend she's not an animal, she still grows those nasty mermaid teeth and communicates by sonar. She's still totally an animal, dude.

• Like 6